What is it like to be a woman bishop?

Sep 13, 2013 Full story: BBC News 21

With the Church in Wales having voted to allow women to be bishops, the Right Reverend Mary Glasspool, talks about her role as assistant bishop of the Diocese of Los Angeles since 2010.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#1 Sep 17, 2013
She is doing a great job in LA.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#2 Sep 17, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
She is doing a great job in LA.
.......for instance?

Honest question. Really.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#3 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
.......for instance?
Honest question. Really.
Oh, Baloney!

Did you read the article?

Did you read the answers she gave to the questions presented?

"... for instance?"

"For instance" what? If you are a Roman Catholic toeing the Roman line, you haven't accepted the premise that a woman can fully serve in the actual capacity of the priest, in the first place.

Your question is dishonest. Really.

Snake in the grass. Crocodile in the bullrushes.
You lie in wait, for an opportunity to do or say something that confirms your own belief.

Ask yourself if Jesus Christ was lying in wait for those who held a perceived misconception. Or did and does He do something different from lying in wait, setting theological traps?

Ask yourself to define the logical conclusion, the fundamental reason, for why His Ministry and Teaching included having women present and accounted for.

Do not underestimate the infinite capacity of God. Every time we try to define what God can and cannot do, whether by deciding to corral personal capacity through scripture or tradition or by citing an iconic example of some stereotypical servant acting in a peculiar anthropologic capacity, we find our definitions of ourselves to be inadequate.

Does the Holy Spirit provide?

Does the Holy Spirit teach?

What can the Holy Spirit not provide or teach?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#4 Sep 18, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Baloney!
Did you read the article?
Did you read the answers she gave to the questions presented?
"... for instance?"
"For instance" what? If you are a Roman Catholic toeing the Roman line, you haven't accepted the premise that a woman can fully serve in the actual capacity of the priest, in the first place.
Your question is dishonest. Really.
Snake in the grass. Crocodile in the bullrushes.
You lie in wait, for an opportunity to do or say something that confirms your own belief.
Ask yourself if Jesus Christ was lying in wait for those who held a perceived misconception. Or did and does He do something different from lying in wait, setting theological traps?
Ask yourself to define the logical conclusion, the fundamental reason, for why His Ministry and Teaching included having women present and accounted for.
Do not underestimate the infinite capacity of God. Every time we try to define what God can and cannot do, whether by deciding to corral personal capacity through scripture or tradition or by citing an iconic example of some stereotypical servant acting in a peculiar anthropologic capacity, we find our definitions of ourselves to be inadequate.
Does the Holy Spirit provide?
Does the Holy Spirit teach?
What can the Holy Spirit not provide or teach?
I read the article.

She responded to questions concerning her personal experience thus far.

Sel said she was doing a "great job", and I asked her to expand upon that comment.

Location hidden

#5 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the article.
She responded to questions concerning her personal experience thus far.
Sel said she was doing a "great job", and I asked her to expand upon that comment.
Yeah, right! Mr. Catholic Dan.

"Honestly!"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#6 Sep 18, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, right! Mr. Catholic Dan.
"Honestly!"
Mr. Catholic Dan was simply asking how Selecia is aware of how good a job Bp. Glasspool is doing, and to let us know what she based that comment on.

Given that they live on opposing coasts, Mr. Catholic Dan suspects that it was a shout-out by Sel for Glasspool simply because Glasspool is female.

Selecia can respond to Mr. Catholic Dan if she's so disposed.

#7 Sep 18, 2013
I keep up with Rev. Susan Russell from LA, Alll Saints Pasadena We are friends on FB. I get lots of updates from the Diocese of Los Angeles.

Bishop Glaspool is also on the committee for the next Convention.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#8 Sep 18, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
I keep up with Rev. Susan Russell from LA, Alll Saints Pasadena We are friends on FB. I get lots of updates from the Diocese of Los Angeles.
Bishop Glaspool is also on the committee for the next Convention.
Thank you. I always forget social media and how it can keep people informed. I'm "old" that way, as I don't utilize FB.

I'll take my apology now, Ken.

Location hidden

#9 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. I always forget social media and how it can keep people informed. I'm "old" that way, as I don't utilize FB.
I'll take my apology now, Ken.
You want an apology from me because you didn't think Selecia Jones could have any legitimate reason for admiring the work of a female bishop in The Episcopal Church, a gender position of authority which you do not recognize?

Your apology is due from you to Selecia Jones.

Your non-utilization of FB is your excuse for questioning Bp. Glasspool's work and a third party's comment of advocacy for Glasspool?

You didn't read the article. And if your eyes went over it, your mind blocked out the comprehension of it, Catholic Dan.

#10 Sep 18, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
You want an apology from me because you didn't think Selecia Jones could have any legitimate reason for admiring the work of a female bishop in The Episcopal Church, a gender position of authority which you do not recognize?
Your non-utilization of FB is your excuse for questioning Bp. Glasspool's work and a third party's comment of advocacy for Glasspool?
You didn't read the article. And if your eyes went over it, your mind blocked out the comprehension of it, Catholic Dan.
I pull for the ladies in all sports, politics, etc....even team like the University of Georgia....who I loathe. So yes, I am a feminist.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#11 Sep 19, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't question Glasspool's work, Rev. Strawman.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#12 Sep 19, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
.......and Sel affirmed that she "roots" for women as she is a feminist.

How's that shoe tasting?

Location hidden

#13 Sep 19, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
.......and Sel affirmed that she "roots" for women as she is a feminist.
How's that shoe tasting?
Well, so now, you revert to insinuating that because Sel is a self-proclaimed feminist, she "roots" for women, including Bishop Glasspool, reflexively, even though she has no good reason for doing so.

Eat your own shoes, buddy.

Location hidden

#14 Sep 19, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't question Glasspool's work, Rev. Strawman.
LOL!!!.....

Of course you did! The article for the thread described lots of things that Bp. Glasspool is doing and has done. But, you chose to ignore the content of the article or to do any further research about her on your own.

Instead, you simultaneously question her work and ask Selecia to back up her own opinion with "facts."

But, you already had both the facts and the means to find out more about Bp. Glasspool for yourself.

Jocosely insincere.

Post #2 above.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#15 Sep 20, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, so now, you revert to insinuating that because Sel is a self-proclaimed feminist, she "roots" for women, including Bishop Glasspool, reflexively, even though she has no good reason for doing so.
Eat your own shoes, buddy.
No, I didn't insinuate it so much as Sel actually told me she did.

"I pull for the ladies in all sports, politics, etc....even team like the University of Georgia....who I loathe. So yes, I am a feminist."
Dan

Omaha, NE

#16 Sep 20, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!.....
Of course you did! The article for the thread described lots of things that Bp. Glasspool is doing and has done. But, you chose to ignore the content of the article or to do any further research about her on your own.
Instead, you simultaneously question her work and ask Selecia to back up her own opinion with "facts."
But, you already had both the facts and the means to find out more about Bp. Glasspool for yourself.
Jocosely insincere.
Post #2 above.
It was just her telling the reader what she's been doing, not how her efforts have impacted the diocese one way or the other.

That's why I asked Sel, as she seemed to know enough about her to say that she'd been "doing a great job", as opposed to simply "doing her job".

Location hidden

#17 Sep 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It was just her telling the reader what she's been doing, not how her efforts have impacted the diocese one way or the other.
That's why I asked Sel, as she seemed to know enough about her to say that she'd been "doing a great job", as opposed to simply "doing her job".
Never mind. Just remember to swallow or spit after chewing for a while.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#18 Sep 20, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind. Just remember to swallow or spit after chewing for a while.
Don't be a sore loser, Ken.

I asked, Sel answered both the question and affirmed my supposition that she may have been rooting for Glasspool as she's a woman.

Your intrusion and suppositions were yours. Be a big boy and own it. Maybe next time you'll cool your heels before butting in with the Pavlov's dog routines lecturing me about misconceptions, etc.

Location hidden

#19 Sep 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be a sore loser, Ken.
I asked, Sel answered both the question and affirmed my supposition that she may have been rooting for Glasspool as she's a woman.
Your intrusion and suppositions were yours. Be a big boy and own it. Maybe next time you'll cool your heels before butting in with the Pavlov's dog routines lecturing me about misconceptions, etc.
Denial.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#20 Sep 20, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Denial.
Yeah, on your part.

Sel even responded to your diatribe to me, directly to you, and SAID she pulls for females in all walks of life as she's a feminist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 180,902
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Jamie 48,583
Carly Fiorina actively explores 2016 presidenti... 2 hr Gary 13
Altadena woman celebrates 104th birthday (Apr '10) 6 hr Deb K 6
Earthquake early alert system ready to expand i... 11 hr a minute of warning 1
Gay marriage (Mar '13) Tue KiMerde 56,692
FBI Baltimore Field Office CARROLL*TRUST US Eco... Tue Stuart Furness 1

California People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE