Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 60851 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Huh

Owatonna, MN

#5468 Sep 12, 2013
Kimare.......Hate and bigotry is no reason to stop freedom and equality..

If you hate freedom and equality so much I say maybe you move to Iran..there you can kill gays and women and anyone not like you..
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#5469 Sep 12, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Could happen. I doubt most people are quite as "white" as they think they are.
And we all spring from the same sources, after all.
Personally, I find the current theories regarding Neanderthal and Denisovan inheritance objectionable. I don't think that scientists know how much of the genome is the result of chromosomal crossover because they do not know enough about the history of the genetic lines.

It's not that I disagree with the "Out of Africa" theory. It's that I reject the implied message of political "authority" from Mother Africa that goes along with it.

Still, I think that there is a reason why the newer phases of human evolution all seem to come out of Africa. It's because the genetic strategies that originated in Africa are the most psychologically stable. Specialization limits options.

Mutation IS random though. It just so happens that Africa, being largely in the equatorial region where natural mutation is slightly higher, and being host to the core adaptations along the human evolutionary path, is more likely to be able to nurture new, untested strategies using the less specialized makeup of the population as a platform for developing new strategies.

New strategies probably start with one significant mutation that is important enough to thrive on its own, followed by several other mutations that enhance the significant change. Still, we may already be witnessing the future of human evolution. Who says that the next phase of humanity won't be the result of the EDAR mutation that has propagated throughout SE Asia? We'll never know in our lifetimes.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#5470 Sep 12, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my! A grammar NAZI who can't tell the difference between deliberate slang and a sentence where I forgot to include the subject! You must feel SOOO satisfied. Don't forget that spelling of the word "so" while you're at it!....I can gather up some typos that I don't catch in my proofreading too ....if it would help!
BTW - It would be more correct if you phrased it "a friend of mine WHO teaches etc"
Deliberate slang???

Is THAT what they call piss poor syntax these days? Who knew?
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#5471 Sep 12, 2013
KiMare wrote:
At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
Gay marriages are a defective failure of mating behavior.
Stuck on stupid.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#5472 Sep 12, 2013
Huh wrote:
Kimare.......Hate and bigotry is no reason to stop freedom and equality..
If you hate freedom and equality so much I say maybe you move to Iran..there you can kill gays and women and anyone not like you..
Duh, you've been exposed as a butch lesbian masquerading as a wannabe straight man.

Just what part of this scientific statement is hate and bigotry?

At its most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint in evolutionary mating behavior.

SS couples are a defective failure of mating behavior.

Location hidden

#5473 Sep 12, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Stuck on stupid.
Until you specify what is untrue about that statement, you've simply confirmed you are stuck on denial.

Smile.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#5474 Sep 12, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
SS couples are a defective failure of mating behavior.
A message from the Ku Klux Klan. No, liar, they are not defective in the slightest, they are not a failure in any way.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#5475 Sep 12, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>

Your liberal party is in decay.
At which point you became a joke.

There is no liberal party. There is a Democratic Party, and it is like the rest of our nation lurching the right in the last 30-40 years. There's not been a remotely liberal candidate for president from the Dems since Mondale. The inability to tell the difference between "Democrat" and "liberal" is one of the biggest problems the tools of the far right in our nation have.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#5476 Sep 12, 2013
Liberals R Defective wrote:
You brought up the Bible, I just pointed out God's take on your "lifestyle." Jesus laid that law down in a,short memo to mankind called The Ten Commandments. Look 'em up someday, when your not busy trying to take away my rights. Idiot.
You wrote:
"Jesus said: Thou shalt not commit sodomy. What is it that you diverse folks do with each other?"
I was merely responding to your idiocy.

The fact remains that if you are a christian, you are a hypocrite, and you bend the bible to your will be only acknowledging the passages that are to your liking. In that way, you aren't terribly different from any other extremist.

Location hidden

#5477 Sep 12, 2013
OkieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>
A message from the Ku Klux Klan. No, liar, they are not defective in the slightest, they are not a failure in any way.
No need for ad homoan hate. If mating behavior is none productive, it indicates a sexual defect at least.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#5478 Sep 12, 2013
KiMare wrote:
No need for ad homoan hate. If mating behavior is none productive, it indicates a sexual defect at least.
So infertile people are sexually defective in your view?

Face it, KiMare (troll), the state has no interest in procreation or procreative ability relative to the legal protections of marriage. Your argument is utterly without basis in reality.

Location hidden

#5479 Sep 12, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
So infertile people are sexually defective in your view?
Face it, KiMare (troll), the state has no interest in procreation or procreative ability relative to the legal protections of marriage. Your argument is utterly without basis in reality.
Don't be silly, sterile people have a physical abnormality. SS couples are mutually in capable of procreation 100% of the time. Big difference.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#5480 Sep 12, 2013
KiMare wrote:
Don't be silly, sterile people have a physical abnormality. SS couples are mutually in capable of procreation 100% of the time. Big difference.
And both are entitled to equal protection of the law to marry.

You have yet to offer any rational argument to the contrary, or to indicate in any way that you position has any basis in reality.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#5481 Sep 12, 2013
Same sex marriage won't affect you, unless you voice or act on the belief marriage is male/female. Then, you'll be treated as if bigoted or racist in public, on the media and sometimes even in courts.

Keeping marriage male/female protects you from hate crime charges. If you don't defend marriage and find yourself in jail; you've nobody to blame but yourself.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#5482 Sep 12, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage won't affect you, unless you voice or act on the belief marriage is male/female. Then, you'll be treated as if bigoted or racist in public, on the media and sometimes even in courts.
Keeping marriage male/female protects you from hate crime charges. If you don't defend marriage and find yourself in jail; you've nobody to blame but yourself.
you are treated like a bigot because you ARE a bigot.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#5483 Sep 12, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
How does allowing same sex marriage negate your right to believe that marriage is male/female?

Does it deny you the right to hold such a belief?

Does it deny you the right to marry the adult consenting opposite sex partner of your choosing?

Does it prevent you from worshiping the god of your choosing at the church of your choosing, of the denomination of your choosing?

Brian, you are an idiot, and a bigot.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#5484 Sep 12, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
How does allowing same sex marriage negate your right to believe that marriage is male/female?
Does it deny you the right to marry the adult consenting opposite sex partner of your choosing?
Does it prevent you from worshiping the god of your choosing at the church of your choosing, of the denomination of your choosing?
he really seems too stupid to actually BE a bigot. it's like he has to have the bigotry piped into him...he's basically just a parrot...

but then most of the religious cult freaks are...

Location hidden

#5485 Sep 12, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage has always described a male/female relationship that has the potential of procreation embedded in it. In every single culture of human history.

That is not a 'belief'. It is a fact.

Words describe reality, and distinctions are critical for life.

You are an idiot, and your denial is dangerous.

Moreover, we are certainly not bigots or hateful for believing and saying the very things even you pretend we have the right to 'believe'.

You need to ask yourself why 'beliefs' that you portend are false bother you so much.

Location hidden

#5486 Sep 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>he really seems too stupid to actually BE a bigot. it's like he has to have the bigotry piped into him...he's basically just a parrot...
but then most of the religious cult freaks are...
Ss couples will only ever be a mutually sterile, duplicate gendered half of marriage.

And there is nothing you can say or do that will change those facts.
anonymous

Absecon, NJ

#5487 Sep 12, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Deliberate slang???
Is THAT what they call piss poor syntax these days? Who knew?
I dunno! What do "they" call imprecise pronoun usage?...or describing the quality of a concept by using a vulgar word as an analogy?

Don't waste my time with your rinky-dink criticisms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 30 min Patriot AKA Bozo 54,570
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 48 min Dr Guru 197,005
News Paulson defends his response to economic crisis (Jul '09) 13 hr swedenforever 3
News Finding a decent bottle of wine for $15 Tue wine4all4wine 1
News Cigarette tax: California voters overwhelmingly... Tue informer 2
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Tue Pastor Pete 201,864
Best Mortgage Company Tue Chrisrock12 1
More from around the web