Gay marriage

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman. Full Story
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4977 Aug 28, 2013
lides wrote:
Not providing serve for a gay wedding is intolerant, plain and simple.
Of course it is. They won't tolerate something they find to be deeply and fundamentally wrong. I see no problem with it.
Jeena

Chennai, India

#4979 Aug 28, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it should be.
I have been trying to tell these guys that 'marriage' itself is merely a means to secure the future of children, but they go on that 'procreation' is not needed for 'marriage'.
AntiGlobalist Easterner

Chennai, India

#4980 Aug 28, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a right to be free from discrimination or religious persecution. Businesses have no right to project their religious beliefs onto me, or to refuse me service based upon their religious beliefs.
<quoted text>
A photographer does not have the right to thrust their religious morality onto others, demanding that customers conform to their religious moral beliefs in order to use their services. Doing so violates the free exercise of the customer. Your photographer's case perfectly illustrates how mindless your argument is, as they have already lost in court 3 times. Guess what? They will continue to lose. Shooting photographs for a gay wedding doesn't violate the photographer's religious freedom.
<quoted text>
They too shall lose in court. They have no valid defense.
There is something called 'business ethics' or 'work ethics', right? It means you do not allow to sell your soul for money, right? It is simply in their business ethics to refuse gay-marriage offers.
commone sense

Glen Waverley, Australia

#4981 Aug 28, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Homosexuality is a gift sweetness. It's not my fault you don't want to get it. But I forgive you.
You really are a poor ,sick ,deluded individual aren't you.How on earth are the following a gift?-
1-never being able to naturally have biological kids born out of the love you share with your loved one.
2-not being able to have proper sexual intercourse without the help of lubes,sextoys and resorting to unnatural,unhygienic sexual practices to get your rocks off.
3-always being looked down on and regarded as not normal,
4-never being able to go anywhere in the world without the risk of being jailed ,or killed for your disorder.
5-never being able to get married ,or have your marriage recognized anywhere in the world.

More like a curse .

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4983 Aug 28, 2013
Winner of the most ironic name choice of the day goes to:
commone sense wrote:
You really are a poor ,sick ,deluded individual aren't you.How on earth are the following a gift?-
Definitely not poor, not sick and decidedly not deluded pumpkin. Whether you like it or not, my being gay, a gift from my creator.
commone sense wrote:
1-never being able to naturally have biological kids born out of the love you share with your loved one.
Sweetie, my being gay is actually a secondary reason why I have not become a parent. The primary one is that I never wanted one of my own.
commone sense wrote:
2-not being able to have proper sexual intercourse without the help of lubes,sextoys and resorting to unnatural,unhygienic sexual practices to get your rocks off.
You seriously need to work on your homoerotic fantasy life.
commone sense wrote:
3-always being looked down on and regarded as not normal,
Why is it that those who argue for the natural and normal superiority of the heterosexual always the most inferior models of the orientation? I really don't mind breaking this to you hon, but you could be waving at us from the top rung of the world's tallest ladder and still not be able to look down on the worst of us.
commone sense wrote:
4-never being able to go anywhere in the world without the risk of being jailed ,or killed for your disorder.
You've confused a country's laws with its people. I'm certain that I've seen more of the world than you have. I've even been to a few countries where officially there was an unwelcome mat for me. You'd be shocked at how few people actually share in your issues.
commone sense wrote:
5-never being able to get married ,or have your marriage recognized anywhere in the world.
More disappointment for you hon. I can get married and it will be recognized and soon, will be able to do so in any state.
commone sense wrote:
More like a curse .
The irony...

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4984 Aug 29, 2013
AntiGlobalist Easterner wrote:
There is something called 'business ethics' or 'work ethics', right? It means you do not allow to sell your soul for money, right? It is simply in their business ethics to refuse gay-marriage offers.
You are going to have to try a little harder than that. A business and or work ethics have nothing to do with projecting one's personal morality onto others via a business. Your rationalization is poor at best.
AntiGlobal Easterner

Chennai, India

#4985 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
You are going to have to try a little harder than that. A business and or work ethics have nothing to do with projecting one's personal morality onto others via a business. Your rationalization is poor at best.
I don't see how your personal morality is not going to reflect on your business. It always does. They can't be kept apart in water tight compartments. They are bound to spill over. Personal values affect all facets of our lives. You can't deny that. Don't try to divide 'life' into personal & business. Its just one big show, with everything deeply interconnected. Moreover, its upto individuals to evolve their own business ethics, unless expressly forbidden by the state. I don't see why 'anti-gay' cannot be a business ethic. You simply do not want to be party to something absurd. Thats all!
BTW,'refuse to work' is a passive thing. It is not 'projecting', which is 'imposing'. You can always find another photographer.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4986 Aug 29, 2013
AntiGlobal Easterner wrote:
I don't see how your personal morality is not going to reflect on your business. It always does. They can't be kept apart in water tight compartments. They are bound to spill over. Personal values affect all facets of our lives. You can't deny that. Don't try to divide 'life' into personal & business. Its just one big show, with everything deeply interconnected. Moreover, its upto individuals to evolve their own business ethics, unless expressly forbidden by the state. I don't see why 'anti-gay' cannot be a business ethic. You simply do not want to be party to something absurd. Thats all!
BTW,'refuse to work' is a passive thing. It is not 'projecting', which is 'imposing'. You can always find another photographer.
Simply put, if you are any good at business, you set your personal views aside at the door.
If you live in a state with a non-discrimination law, doing so is mandatory.

This isn't rocket science. One's personal religious moral views are not a legitimate reason to deny service.
AntiGlobal Easterner

Chennai, India

#4987 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply put, if you are any good at business, you set your personal views aside at the door.
If you live in a state with a non-discrimination law, doing so is mandatory.
This isn't rocket science. One's personal religious moral views are not a legitimate reason to deny service.
Again, I insist that this is about 'business ethics'. When I do business I am bound to see the consequences of my dealings and I can review my decisions.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4988 Aug 29, 2013
Again, I insist that this is about 'business ethics'. When I do business I am bound to see the consequences of my dealings and I can review my decisions.
Again, you are wrong. Many jurisdictions have laws denying a business the right to discriminate for a number of reasons, including sexual orientation.

In those jurisdictions, one cannot deny service on the basis of sexual orientation regardless or "business ethics." Your inclusion of quotation marks is singularly appropriate. What you propose is by no means ethical.
AntiGlobal Easterner

Chennai, India

#4989 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you are wrong. Many jurisdictions have laws denying a business the right to discriminate for a number of reasons, including sexual orientation.
In those jurisdictions, one cannot deny service on the basis of sexual orientation regardless or "business ethics." Your inclusion of quotation marks is singularly appropriate. What you propose is by no means ethical.
I know your ilk is gloating over few favourable rulings. This will not go far. Truth will triupmh.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4990 Aug 29, 2013
I know your ilk is gloating over few favourable rulings. This will not go far. Truth will triupmh.
Actually, it will. Do you know why? Because providing a service to someone who holds different views than you does not impact upon your rights or freedoms, and denying said service does impact upon others.

It really isn't a difficult concept. If you don't like it, don't form a business in a state that won't allow you to project your bigotry through your business.

The truth is that equality will come to pass, and the bigots will continually make themselves look foolish.
AntiGlobal Easterner

Chennai, India

#4991 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Your inclusion of quotation marks is singularly appropriate. What you propose is by no means ethical.
Used quotations to juxtapose 'business ethics' against 'personal morals'. I cannot deride my own words, when I firmly believe in them.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4992 Aug 29, 2013
Used quotations to juxtapose 'business ethics' against 'personal morals'. I cannot deride my own words, when I firmly believe in them.
I am not projecting my personal morals. You are the one advocating denial of services based upon personal animus, which is absurd, and in many states illegal. Don't like it, stay in India.
AntiGlobal Easterner

Chennai, India

#4993 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is that equality will come to pass, and the bigots will continually make themselves look foolish.
Pray, whats this 'equality' you refer to.
Can we flog a dog because it cannot fly like a dove. They have different anatomy to serve different life purposes. We have to play by our sexual anatomy and not insists we mimic the opposite sex. It has not been possible.
I'm sorry you're forcing me to address you like your parent. May be thats what you desire. Parental loving guidance. So long, Dear.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4994 Aug 29, 2013
Pray, whats this 'equality' you refer to.
You know, treating others the same. Which is to say, if one runs a business offering the same service regardless of the race, creed, sexuality, etc of one's clients or one's personal view of their beliefs or politics. It isn't a difficult concept.
Can we flog a dog because it cannot fly like a dove.
We could, it would be futile, as is your suggestion of discrimination through business.
They have different anatomy to serve different life purposes.
They also are not human, and as such are not included in equality under the law.
We have to play by our sexual anatomy and not insists we mimic the opposite sex. It has not been possible.
Of course, this argument is futile. At issue is civil marriage, which does not contain a requirement of procreation. Ergo, your reference to procreative ability is utterly irrelevant. I often find those with no rational basis for their argument return to this non-sequitur.
I'm sorry you're forcing me to address you like your parent. May be thats what you desire. Parental loving guidance. So long, Dear.
Actually, my parents are a great deal more intelligent than you. You may feel that you are talking down to me, but that says more about you than it does about me. No good parent would advocate for their progeny to hold others as lesser people deserving of lesser things. A truly great parent would raise their child to treat others with the respect and dignity that they would themselves expect.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#4995 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
I have a right to be free from discrimination or religious persecution. Businesses have no right to project their religious beliefs onto me, or to refuse me service based upon their religious beliefs.
No, you can't walk into a Christian photographer's business and demand they attend your same sex marriage; what kind of selfish person is that? Why not find another photographer? This isn't about homosexuals; the issue is the definition of marriage.

lides wrote:
A photographer does not have the right to thrust their religious morality onto others, demanding that customers conform to their religious moral beliefs in order to use their services. Doing so violates the free exercise of the customer. Your photographer's case perfectly illustrates how mindless your argument is, as they have already lost in court 3 times. Guess what? They will continue to lose. Shooting photographs for a gay wedding doesn't violate the photographer's religious freedom.
The florist, baker and photographer refused to attend same sex weddings. This is persecution, against Christians.

lides wrote:
They too shall lose in court. They have no valid defense.
The problem may not be the courts as much as the law. We'll rewrite law and elect representatives more faithful than Obama, Clinton and Carter. Those Democrats ran on marriage as one man and one woman, until they changed.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#4996 Aug 29, 2013
Brian, I have already conceded that you are dumber than a rock. Just how dumb do you want people to believe you are? I have regularly asked this question, and you fail to respond. I am curious as to just how dumb you would like to be perceived as being.
Brian_G wrote:
No, you can't walk into a Christian photographer's business and demand they attend your same sex marriage;
No, however they can hire said photographer to provide their services.
Brian_G wrote:
what kind of selfish person is that?
What kind of idiot runs a business that turns away clientele?
Brian_G wrote:
Why not find another photographer?
Why should they? If they like the work of the photographer in question, there is no reason to go elsewhere.
I ask again, Brian, should I be able to deny you service because you are a mentally deficient twit?
Brian_G wrote:
This isn't about homosexuals; the issue is the definition of marriage.
Actually, it is about discrimination, plain and simple.
Brian_G wrote:
The florist, baker and photographer refused to attend same sex weddings. This is persecution, against Christians.
No, it isn't. Providing the services in question in no way negates the rights or freedoms of the proprietors involved. If they don't like it, they are free to shut their doors.
Brian_G wrote:
The problem may not be the courts as much as the law.
So work to change the law. You will fail. Do you know why? Because we have always moved towards equality and non discrimination. You are unlikely to pass a discrimination law, and it would be unlikely to stand in the courts as being constitutional.
Brian_G wrote:
We'll rewrite law and elect representatives more faithful than Obama, Clinton and Carter. Those Democrats ran on marriage as one man and one woman, until they changed.
Brian, you are an idiot, you are behind the times, and you are wrong. Equality is here to stay. Grow up, grow a brain, and deal with it.
anonymous

Anonymous Proxy

#4997 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
Brian, I have already conceded that you are dumber than a rock. Just how dumb do you want people to believe you are? I have regularly asked this question, and you fail to respond. I am curious as to just how dumb you would like to be perceived as being.
<quoted text>
No, however they can hire said photographer to provide their services.
<quoted text>
What kind of idiot runs a business that turns away clientele?
<quoted text>
Why should they? If they like the work of the photographer in question, there is no reason to go elsewhere.
I ask again, Brian, should I be able to deny you service because you are a mentally deficient twit?
<quoted text>
Actually, it is about discrimination, plain and simple.
<quoted text>
No, it isn't. Providing the services in question in no way negates the rights or freedoms of the proprietors involved. If they don't like it, they are free to shut their doors.
<quoted text>
So work to change the law. You will fail. Do you know why? Because we have always moved towards equality and non discrimination. You are unlikely to pass a discrimination law, and it would be unlikely to stand in the courts as being constitutional.
<quoted text>
Brian, you are an idiot, you are behind the times, and you are wrong. Equality is here to stay. Grow up, grow a brain, and deal with it.
Parse Bunny! Up to your usual foppish nonsense, eh? Oh,well!

Brian doesn't seem to have the linguistic ability to stop others from metaphorically humping him. Might as well try to convince him that such is his purpose.
AntiGlobal Easterner

Hyderabad, India

#4998 Aug 29, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't like it, stay in India.
As expected, you've resorted to your ultimate weapon of snobbery.
So you think the issue is American? It has reached our shores and thats how I'm interested. With your kind of madness, which defies all laws of nature, I would'nt even want to breathe the wind that blows from your side, leave alone landing there.
Okay I'll stay in India, but what do you have to say to your fellow Americans, who as a majority do not approve of your views? They too can stay in India?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min Brilliant Mind 49,258
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Guru 181,963
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 55 min Bently 201,182
Mexico's Take Over Of California: Complete By 2... (Jun '09) 57 min Mademan 27,501
New list puts Vallejo among the statea s most d... Sun fred 3
Vital points in Construction Accidents (Apr '08) Dec 19 Pavlos Lombardi 2
Condoleezza Rice urges Republican party to be m... (Mar '14) Dec 18 Swedenforever 58
More from around the web