Gay marriage

There are 59876 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

Eric

Troup, TX

#4613 Jul 8, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't referring to homosexuality. Apparently you don't bother to read the part of your comments to which others reply.
<quoted text>
Sounds like you're projecting.
<quoted text>
You must frequent some strange Topix forums as I've never encountered those types of discussions.
<quoted text>
Who said anything about wanting to interact online with underage kids? Certainly not me; you must be projecting again. Sorry, but I don't share your sexual tastes.
Anal drip syndrome = LMFAO

“abstractions of thought...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#4614 Jul 8, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW - You can't be serious about the "skill" of using the silly little headers and footers that Topix favors?
I only mentioned it because you've whined incessantly that some posters are "parse bunnies" simply because they break your posts up into smaller chunks to more specifically focus their response to your posts.
anonymous wrote:
It's not my problem that they don't want a lot of HTML in their fields. For all I know, they are just too cheap to use unicode fields because that might require more storage on the SQL backend. Can't be more than all the quotes take! Without unicode, they might have a problem encapsulating embedded HTML into text fields. Probably they just aren't ready to address the security requirements that would be required to keep malicious code off the site. Heck! They might not have even written the code for their forum.
If you ask me, the best forum programs link back to the post you're responding to so one does not have to quote every response. I haven't set up too many web sites though. I do more sysadmin and hardware support work than I do coding.
I agree the posting tools and general discussion format Topix provides leaves a lot to be desired.
anonymous wrote:
Long story made short: I don't like to cut and paste junk, I don't experiment on a public site and I don't want to ruin the context of someone's post. There's no fun in mangling anyone's message.
It's hard to ruin the context of someone's post when the quoted post, response and formatting code is limited to a total of 4000 characters unless someone just deletes whole sections of the quoted material. And that's something I very rarely do and never do so without noting I've done it to focus on a specific comment within a post. Others, of course can do as they wish.

“abstractions of thought...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#4615 Jul 8, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Anal drip syndrome = LMFAO
Then you should seek medical assistance for your problem, R1, rather than posting about it in a public forum.

Do you feel better now that I've given you some attention?
Eric

Troup, TX

#4616 Jul 8, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you should seek medical assistance for your problem, R1, rather than posting about it in a public forum.
Do you feel better now that I've given you some attention?
Thanks Mike, my friend, for both the advice and attention:)

Now it's off two the cafe with me, TTFN.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4617 Jul 8, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't referring to homosexuality. Apparently you don't bother to read the part of your comments to which others reply.
<quoted text>
Sounds like you're projecting.
<quoted text>
You must frequent some strange Topix forums as I've never encountered those types of discussions.
<quoted text>
Who said anything about wanting to interact online with underage kids? Certainly not me; you must be projecting again. Sorry, but I don't share your sexual tastes.
Apparently, you don't listen to yourself. Everything you do is gay, gay, gay. It has become your identity, your larger than life thing. Your ticket to something special.....not!

don't worry about projection. Psychology isn't suited to those who find pleasure in their own image....and you don't have anything else.

“abstractions of thought...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#4618 Jul 8, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you don't listen to yourself. Everything you do is gay, gay, gay. It has become your identity, your larger than life thing. Your ticket to something special.....not!
don't worry about projection. Psychology isn't suited to those who find pleasure in their own image....and you don't have anything else.
Given that I've primarily commented on your incessant whining about how and what others post, you're reacting to your own shortcomings. If you think your whining is gay, so be it.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4619 Jul 8, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
I only mentioned it because you've whined incessantly that some posters are "parse bunnies" simply because they break your posts up into smaller chunks to more specifically focus their response to your posts.
<quoted text>
I agree the posting tools and general discussion format Topix provides leaves a lot to be desired.
<quoted text>
It's hard to ruin the context of someone's post when the quoted post, response and formatting code is limited to a total of 4000 characters unless someone just deletes whole sections of the quoted material. And that's something I very rarely do and never do so without noting I've done it to focus on a specific comment within a post. Others, of course can do as they wish.
Me personally, I just keep about the first two lines and then give a .... to show that more was posted. What more can you do? Topix does have their limits. If you get in the practice of addressing posts in their entirety, then maybe you'll learn not to rely on sound bites and choose your responses based on significant points that stand on their own.

Then again, there IS the occasional segue into unrelated issues, such is your presumed implication that I can't figure out the rules of the Topix formatting syntax. Usually, I just provide a second post. That's not the same as parsing out isolated chunks and destroying the context.

Really, this site isn't designed for computer nerds who want to show their little tricks. I'm sure Topix has no interest in structuring their system to support all those tricks which just become a menace once hackers start embedding malicious code. But that's not the kind of parsing I was referring to.

I refer to the parsing of isolated strings of text that you think you can defeat with the usual rhetoric. None of that rhetoric can last a minute in a court of law. At the most, you and the idiot liberals are signing away everyone's future on sneaky-prick wording of the type our wonderful Congressmen use to give the NSA full autonomy while we sit around protecting our dingdongs and whining about our rights.

I'm predicting the future based pure cynicism, yes! Silly, but obvious to anyone outside of this idiot political struggle. You've got the gambling fever and politicians LOVE to have you along for their adventure in blind ambition. The things that I worry about WILL happen because no matter what you think, you're not part of the equation until you choose to be part of the equation. For now, you're just interested in your "Better Gay Homes and Gardens" fantasy. Your posts are just a little kid's mud pie. You can't live on mud pies. You don't understand what it takes to make "Constitutional Rights" mean a damn thing.

You're sitting around, being petulant and posting rubbish in your perceived whizzing contest that any idiot knows they have no control over. I can't STOP you from posting trash, but I am happy to demonstrate every character and logic flaw that you bring to the table. When is it going to sink in? You lost the debate, the personality contest, the moral high ground and by normal heterosexual standards, all personal dignity.

You don't belong among Ivy League aristocrats, but what's more important is that you've been escorted to the door and locked out of the party you've crashed, and now the frat boys are congratulating themselves on what smart little aristocrats they are. To me, they've demonstrated that they are freeloaders living in their daddy's shadow, and eventually they'll pay the price. But as long as riff-raff are willing to whore themselves out to them, I guess I'm just along for the ride because my kind of morality isn't liked among money grubbers of any class.

Entertainment... You have your comedies, and your tragedies. Are you ready to "entertain" some more?
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4620 Jul 8, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Given that I've primarily commented on your incessant whining about how and what others post, you're reacting to your own shortcomings. If you think your whining is gay, so be it.
Kind of in self-propelled mode tonight, eh? I don't worry about the gender preference of whining. I won't be trying to take it to bed either way.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4621 Jul 8, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Troll.
Blah! Blah! Blah! More parsing. More posing like slu+ with false terms of endearment. No facts.
How about the term "passive-aggressive Booboo Bear" for you?! A bit lengthy but you're not REALLY pressed for time, are you PA-BooBoo-B?
Another whiny post devoid of anything which might be confused with substance. I don't mind what folk call me dear, I've heard it all before. Get back to me if you imagine you actually have a point.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4622 Jul 8, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Another whiny post devoid of anything which might be confused with substance. I don't mind what folk call me dear, I've heard it all before. Get back to me if you imagine you actually have a point.
I'll bet you don't mind.

...but I really don't know if there's a point worth making here other than you might be contagious.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4623 Jul 8, 2013
anonymous wrote:
I'll bet you don't mind.
Sweetie, when was the last post you saw me whine about anything I have been called? You on the other hand...
anonymous wrote:
...but I really don't know if there's a point worth making here other than you might be contagious.
Sweetie, if I were contagious, you would no longer be an idiot.

“abstractions of thought...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#4624 Jul 9, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Me personally, I just keep about the first two lines and then give a .... to show that more was posted. What more can you do? Topix does have their limits. If you get in the practice of addressing posts in their entirety, then maybe you'll learn not to rely on sound bites and choose your responses based on significant points that stand on their own.
Then again, there IS the occasional segue into unrelated issues, such is your presumed implication that I can't figure out the rules of the Topix formatting syntax. Usually, I just provide a second post. That's not the same as parsing out isolated chunks and destroying the context.
Really, this site isn't designed for computer nerds who want to show their little tricks. I'm sure Topix has no interest in structuring their system to support all those tricks which just become a menace once hackers start embedding malicious code. But that's not the kind of parsing I was referring to.
I refer to the parsing of isolated strings of text that you think you can defeat with the usual rhetoric. None of that rhetoric can last a minute in a court of law. At the most, you and the idiot liberals are signing away everyone's future on sneaky-prick wording of the type our wonderful Congressmen use to give the NSA full autonomy while we sit around protecting our dingdongs and whining about our rights.
I'm predicting the future based pure cynicism, yes! Silly, but obvious to anyone outside of this idiot political struggle. You've got the gambling fever and politicians LOVE to have you along for their adventure in blind ambition. The things that I worry about WILL happen because no matter what you think, you're not part of the equation until you choose to be part of the equation. For now, you're just interested in your "Better Gay Homes and Gardens" fantasy. Your posts are just a little kid's mud pie. You can't live on mud pies. You don't understand what it takes to make "Constitutional Rights" mean a damn thing.
You're sitting around, being petulant and posting rubbish in your perceived whizzing contest that any idiot knows they have no control over. I can't STOP you from posting trash, but I am happy to demonstrate every character and logic flaw that you bring to the table. When is it going to sink in? You lost the debate, the personality contest, the moral high ground and by normal heterosexual standards, all personal dignity.
You don't belong among Ivy League aristocrats, but what's more important is that you've been escorted to the door and locked out of the party you've crashed, and now the frat boys are congratulating themselves on what smart little aristocrats they are. To me, they've demonstrated that they are freeloaders living in their daddy's shadow, and eventually they'll pay the price. But as long as riff-raff are willing to whore themselves out to them, I guess I'm just along for the ride because my kind of morality isn't liked among money grubbers of any class.
Entertainment... You have your comedies, and your tragedies. Are you ready to "entertain" some more?
I'm humbled by this effulgent example of refrainment from use of rhetoric and sound bites.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

HATE AND BIGOTRY

#4625 Jul 9, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm humbled by this effulgent example of refrainment from use of rhetoric and sound bites.
Hey you....how's life treating you and yours? Good I hope!!!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#4626 Jul 9, 2013
Keeping marriage male/female is good for the soul.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4629 Jul 9, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetie, when was the last post you saw me whine about anything I have been called? You on the other hand...
<quoted text>Sweetie, if I were contagious, you would no longer be an idiot.
Tsk! Tsk! Even your trash talk has no thunder! You don't get it. You're not entertaining anyone other than your fellow "victims". You certainly aren't making a point. You're just doing the shrill jealousy thing that I knew you would. Feeding off of the randomness of your brethren is just a circle tightening around you, the little egg that will crack, looking for a place to escape to.

Society doesn't need escape artists. The entire conventional wisdom that liberals hide behind is about protecting their families. You'll throw their kids to the wolves to make your own escape. Many of your liberal friends are already doing the same because they never did understand the big picture politically.

This is entirely predictable, but not to those who have been brainwashed to serve Mother Socialism, that parasitic flavor of failed Communism.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4630 Jul 9, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm humbled by this effulgent example of refrainment from use of rhetoric and sound bites.
That's nice, but there's a trail of logic already posted that you refuse to address. Not my problem and I don't post anything that toes a Republican or Democrat line.

That's still not a debate point. I'm observing how your cult of personality is and will always be a failure outside of your "victim" circle. Me personally? I'm not expecting you to be Conan the Barbarian. I'm expecting you to open your gop and talk when it's needed and to keep it shut when when it isn't.

Whining about sound bites when you've spent the last five or more posts avoiding the issues ISN'T the time and the place. That is what you just don't get. You aren't expected to be an alpha dog. You're expected to take care of yourself. Instead you've mimicked an alpha dog and have accomplished NOTHING!

BTW - You know, "Call of Duty" is just a silly X-Box game online where pre-teens go to act like warriors. The real world is a whole lot more hard work and a whole lot less trash talk. Real bullets don't cause you to regenerate elsewhere in the play map. Real battles are fought with real weapons, provided by the hard work of real citizens. Just who do you think you're entertaining in this debate anyway?

“SCOTUS RULING”

Since: Aug 08

COMING IN JUNE

#4631 Jul 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Keeping marriage male/female is good for the soul.
Sorry Brian, but being married to my lovely wife has been very good for my soul:-)

You're losing this fight!!!

13 States and DC........by the end of this year we could add another state or 2:-)

We are already at 1/4 or 25% of the States........and next year could see more reversing their previous stance!!!
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4633 Jul 9, 2013
The Troll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you realize, you ho:mos and cockroaches have a lot in common. You're both nasty filthy creatures, you're a nuisance, you both carry diseases, you flock together, and you're an infestation, once you pest get a little hold in an area, you take over. Pretty good comparison huh?
Some people might say that about the White man.

Grow up!...But you won't! YOU are going to USE IT! It OWNS YOU!
american

United States

#4634 Jul 9, 2013
sodomites will never be treated as normal because it's not normal for two people of the same sex to be married,that was never and will never be what GOD intended.it is wrong and a sin.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4635 Jul 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
So, it's coincidence the Ten Commandments ban murder and theft as do our laws? Just odd coincidence the bible condemns incest as do our state laws? Where do you think our legislature got the idea that we have individual liberty if not the bible's principle, we are created in God's image?
There are state interests exclusive of religious morality served by denying the aforementioned, and those concepts are not unique to Christianity. That they are included in the religion does not equate to making a law respecting the establishment of religion. This is why making murder illegal is constitutional, but posting the 10 commandments publicly is not. A brighter individual would understand this simple concept.
Brian_G wrote:
^^^These are just insults, not rational argument.
Enjoy them, my friend, you have earned each and every one of them.
Brian_G wrote:
I oppose ersatz equality; men and women are different so marriage is male/female. I favor real liberty, everyone has the right to associate as they please, but nobody get's the right to rewrite marriage law to satisfy sexual predilection.
You oppose reality. This could be, in part, because you are not so bright.

Can you indicate a single state interest served by denying same sex couples the right to marry?

Can you indicate a single way in which allowing such a union adversely impacts you or your rights?

Can you offer even the most fundamental argument against equality under the law for same sex couples to marry other than because you think it's icky?

I didn't think so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Environmentalist PhD 53,448
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Ottawa 189,579
News UPS Becomes Nation's Largest User of Renewable ... 13 hr ShirleyWill12 1
News Mexico's Take Over Of California: Complete By 2... (Jun '09) 16 hr Protester 27,520
News Drought becomes focus of Earth Day in California Wed fiber one 27
Outsourcing Web Design May 19 qcalamin 1
Annette Marion stalker and murders tongue €... May 18 Annette killer 1
More from around the web