Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61387 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4502 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
I'm against gay marriage being call marriage.
Sweetie, why are you of the delusion that your obvious psychological issues should be our problem? You don't want our marriages to be called marriages, I hope you included something else in your letter to Santa, you're not going to get that one dear.
August

Silver Springs, FL

#4503 Jul 3, 2013
Question: what, again, is the problem with gay people getting married? Aside from the religious objection, that is. Someone said they're against it being called 'marriage.' Why?
Not trying to start a fight, I'm just curious as to exactly what the objections are.

this one

#4504 Jul 3, 2013
August wrote:
Question: what, again, is the problem with gay people getting married? Aside from the religious objection, that is. Someone said they're against it being called 'marriage.' Why?
Not trying to start a fight, I'm just curious as to exactly what the objections are.
There are just two basic objections to same sex marriages. The first, the idea that two people of the same sex can be married offends their religious beliefs. The second, the idea of homosexuality/homosexuals/homo sexual behavior personally offends them. Although the two frequently appear together, they aren't married. The personally offended are icked out by their own homoerotic fantasies or those they borrow from other such deep thinkers and fantasize that we're all living down to them.
August

Silver Springs, FL

#4505 Jul 3, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>There are just two basic objections to same sex marriages. The first, the idea that two people of the same sex can be married offends their religious beliefs. The second, the idea of homosexuality/homosexuals/homo sexual behavior personally offends them. Although the two frequently appear together, they aren't married. The personally offended are icked out by their own homoerotic fantasies or those they borrow from other such deep thinkers and fantasize that we're all living down to them.
Thanks for the response, Rick. If I can pick your brain a little more, what are civil unions? Is that the closest gay people could previously get to legal marriage?

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4506 Jul 3, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you were gay.
Did you mean 'their' rights?
Oh yes attack spelling..BUT NEVER ADRESS THE ISSUE ONLY ATTACK AND SPEW HATE...Good little Nazi aren't you.

this one

#4507 Jul 3, 2013
August wrote:
Thanks for the response, Rick. If I can pick your brain a little more, what are civil unions? Is that the closest gay people could previously get to legal marriage?
"Civil Unions" are what they are, where you are. Other than them being called civil unions, the similarity quickly ends depending on your state. New Jersey's were required to be identical in terms of the rights, etc of marriage (they're currently in court on that), other states offer them as something less than marriage, but extending a lot of the rights etc you would most want if you could get married. Most of those are even open to opposite sex couples. Civil unions and domestic partnerships are recently made up concepts by those who think we should have the same rights etc as marriage, but not marriage. Separate but equal. Worked so well the last time we tried that in this country.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4508 Jul 3, 2013
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't like my post and have no reply so you make idiotic accusations.
Look below my name, next to the Packer logo... the date says Oct.'07. This is the only name I've used since registering nearly 6 years ago.
The crap about cute pictures, I have no idea what you are talking about or if you actually had a coherent or relevant point.
OK. I'll respond to the content you've provided.

There's nobody here's who's idiotic but you! Nyah!

You're crazy! Man! What a crazy!
August

Silver Springs, FL

#4509 Jul 3, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>"Civil Unions" are what they are, where you are. Other than them being called civil unions, the similarity quickly ends depending on your state. New Jersey's were required to be identical in terms of the rights, etc of marriage (they're currently in court on that), other states offer them as something less than marriage, but extending a lot of the rights etc you would most want if you could get married. Most of those are even open to opposite sex couples. Civil unions and domestic partnerships are recently made up concepts by those who think we should have the same rights etc as marriage, but not marriage. Separate but equal. Worked so well the last time we tried that in this country.
Thank you for the information. You cleared up a few things I was unsure of.

this one

#4511 Jul 3, 2013
August wrote:
Thank you for the information. You cleared up a few things I was unsure of.
You're welcome, we should be here to help each other...
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4512 Jul 4, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes attack spelling..BUT NEVER ADRESS THE ISSUE ONLY ATTACK AND SPEW HATE...Good little Nazi aren't you.
"Oh and finished High school on B honor role"
Maybe your high school wasn't accredited.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4513 Jul 4, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
"Oh and finished High school on B honor role"
Maybe your high school wasn't accredited.
Your just an idiot....HOW ABOUT BEING AN ADULT AND DISCUSSSS THE TOPIC?????????? NO??? I know why you wont,it is because you know your wrong and have nothing. So all you can do is attack and twist and spew BS....GROW UP PUNK.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4514 Jul 4, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Your just an idiot....
Did you mean 'You're just an idiot?'

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4515 Jul 4, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mean 'You're just an idiot?'
WHAT A F-ING CHILD......Go away loser...If you cant discuss like an adult I am done replying....

Now tell me how does same sex being legal effect your life?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4516 Jul 4, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT A F-ING CHILD......Go away loser...If you cant discuss like an adult I am done replying....
Now tell me how does same sex being legal effect your life?
That's the second time in two minutes you said you were done replying to me. Adult conversations require two adult minds, you don't qualify. As for your accusation that I'm a far righter, that just makes you wrong yet again.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4517 Jul 4, 2013
I am s sick of child like bigots spewing hate and nasty attacks...Wish they would grow up and discuss like an adult.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4518 Jul 4, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
I am s sick of child like bigots spewing hate and nasty attacks...Wish they would grow up and discuss like an adult.
Then don't have a tantrum. I'll tell you how gay marriage impacts my life.

First, we all pay taxes and married people get an unfair tax break to begin with. Adding insult to injury along with a little more injury, insurance companies will charge single people more for coverage, which they cannot turn down thanks to Mr. "Redistribution of Wealth", President Obama and his good ol' boys in the democratic party.

I can't deny that single people are a bit more of an insurance risk, being second class citizens who get paid less, are expected to put in longer hours and are prejudicially treated as unwanted "boat rockers". All I can do is address the problem at the source. That means not giving in to IDIOTS who think they have a right to pay less taxes just because they have one main squeeze instead of casually fudge packing any tramp they see on the street, thus becoming an incredible burden on the rest of us through charitable medical care.

Nope! Two wrongs don't make a right. Denying you marriage is a kind of two wrongs, I guess. Denying me fair treatment and taxation is a far bigger crime. I say so! It's all about politics and how one defines the problem. Gays are mistreated because of _______? Single people are mistreated because of ________? The source of mistreatment is ________?

Now, I don't have to point out that fudge packing is a huge liability to the medical infrastructure. You don't have to point out that spending one's paycheck on booze and hookers is a liability either. What we all need to understand is the politics is not dealing us a winning hand either way. Not all gays are swapping fluids with strangers. Not all single people spend their paychecks on prostitutes and booze.

If you want to be an adult, stop calling Christian bigots names. You can make the observation once, then move on! You're not going to change anyone's mind by yelling louder. You certainly aren't going to get me on your side by carrying on like you're the pinnacle of scholarly insight. Put the facts on the table.

I say you're no different then the Christians. You think you're entitled to something from me. You call people names and engage in numerous forms of prejudicial treatment of others.

What do you got to debate? Tell me what on Earth is your special thing that changes everything? I don't see squat! I've monitored this discussion since very early on and the only thing I've seen is "Why SHOULDN'T you have entitlements". Well, I'm telling you why.

I'm telling you that you're not going to GET fair treatment as long as you're playing by these people's rules and you certainly aren't going to get my support in a damn thing! What do you have to say? I know what you'll say. You'll say that us mortals are too dumb to understand. You're on an ego trip that is as cliche and as forgotten in the past as a "Thelma and Louise" story.

You want to improve your life? Get your act together and improve it! That isn't going to happen by trashing your colon on Friday nights, but nobody can tell you that, can they?

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#4519 Jul 4, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
First, we all pay taxes and married people get an unfair tax break to begin with. Adding insult to injury along with a little more injury, insurance companies will charge single people more for coverage, which they cannot turn down thanks to Mr. "Redistribution of Wealth", President Obama and his good ol' boys in the democratic party.
I can't deny that single people are a bit more of an insurance risk, being second class citizens who get paid less, are expected to put in longer hours and are prejudicially treated as unwanted "boat rockers". All I can do is address the problem at the source. That means not giving in to IDIOTS who think they have a right to pay less taxes just because they have one main squeeze instead of casually fudge packing any tramp they see on the street, thus becoming an incredible burden on the rest of us through charitable medical care.
Nope! Two wrongs don't make a right. Denying you marriage is a kind of two wrongs, I guess. Denying me fair treatment and taxation is a far bigger crime. I say so! It's all about politics and how one defines the problem. Gays are mistreated because of _______? Single people are mistreated because of ________? The source of mistreatment is ________?
Now, I don't have to point out that fudge packing is a huge liability to the medical infrastructure. You don't have to point out that spending one's paycheck on booze and hookers is a liability either. What we all need to understand is the politics is not dealing us a winning hand either way. Not all gays are swapping fluids with strangers. Not all single people spend their paychecks on prostitutes and booze.
If you want to be an adult, stop calling Christian bigots names. You can make the observation once, then move on! You're not going to change anyone's mind by yelling louder. You certainly aren't going to get me on your side by carrying on like you're the pinnacle of scholarly insight. Put the facts on the table.
I say you're no different then the Christians. You think you're entitled to something from me. You call people names and engage in numerous forms of prejudicial treatment of others.
What do you got to debate? Tell me what on Earth is your special thing that changes everything? I don't see squat! I've monitored this discussion since very early on and the only thing I've seen is "Why SHOULDN'T you have entitlements". Well, I'm telling you why.
I'm telling you that you're not going to GET fair treatment as long as you're playing by these people's rules and you certainly aren't going to get my support in a damn thing! What do you have to say? I know what you'll say. You'll say that us mortals are too dumb to understand. You're on an ego trip that is as cliche and as forgotten in the past as a "Thelma and Louise" story.
You want to improve your life? Get your act together and improve it! That isn't going to happen by trashing your colon on Friday nights, but nobody can tell you that, can they?
Ok hitler......FREEDOM AND EQUALITY AND JUSTCIE FOR ALL....get the all part Nazi pig????????

Anyway it is the 4th of July us REAL PATRIOTS celebrate our great FREE nation....I am sure you have a KKK or Naiz of America meeting today....SLIME.....bye I am off for today.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4520 Jul 4, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok hitler......FREEDOM AND EQUALITY AND JUSTCIE FOR ALL....get the all part Nazi pig????????
Anyway it is the 4th of July us REAL PATRIOTS celebrate our great FREE nation....I am sure you have a KKK or Naiz of America meeting today....SLIME.....bye I am off for today.
Hitler?
Nazi pig?

Is this how adults engage in conversation?
I think a sandbox in a playground is too advanced for you.

this one

#4521 Jul 4, 2013
anonymous wrote:
I hope you don't mind my chiming in on you here, but if you do, sorry, but I'm going to do it anyways.
anonymous wrote:
First, we all pay taxes and married people get an unfair tax break to begin with.
While you may feel that those who can and do enter marriage are getting unfair tax breaks in relation to their unmarried counterparts, they are performing a service that the government wants to encourage.
anonymous wrote:
Adding insult to injury along with a little more injury, insurance companies will charge single people more for coverage, which they cannot turn down thanks to Mr. "Redistribution of Wealth", President Obama and his good ol' boys in the democratic party...
Sweetie, you may not realize that isn't the governments fault that you aren't married, it is still an option available to you. Simply because the number of people who will not marry you has now doubled by adding everyone of your same sex into the pool of those who will not say I do to you, even though they legally could, does not make your problem the government's.

Reality check, while there are an assortment of rights, benefits etc attached to the status of marriage that we single folk are not entitled, we get our fair share of rights etc that they just married their way out of eligibility for.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4522 Jul 4, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
If you didn't post most people wouldn't know how stupid you are.
Maybe you didn't finish high school. You were out working so you wouldn't be on welfare like all the people that oppose gay marriage. BWAHAHAHAHA!
Take your own advice dear and stop posting; you look more stupid with each new post. You've lost any speck of credibility that you may have once had.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Buster Steinbeizer 240,352
News That gas tax hike? Ita s not enough to fix Cali... 5 hr Solarman 1
News John Kasich on Arnold Schwarzenegger endorsing ... 5 hr Solarman 1
News Essential Politics: Looking for a win by the 10... Mon Mitt s Santorum S... 1
News News 11 Mins Ago California moves _ slowly _ to... Mon MountainHouse 8
Democrats likely in danger of losing a majority... Mon MountainHouse 3
News Democrats could tighten grip on California poli... Mon CodeTalker 4
More from around the web