Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61384 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4433 Jun 30, 2013
Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>
Yadha doesn't mean to have sex with ... It means to know and as every true biblical scholar with out a hate agenda agrees Lot had let two strangers (the angels as men) inta a a secure WALLED city where everyone knew each other. He to was a GUEST you idiot who let in two strangers without permission in the middle of the night into a secure WALLED city. Of course the towns people demanded to know (Yadha)who Lot (a guest) had let into there SECURE WALLED CITY in the middle of the night. I bet you would demand to see and meet two strangers a guest of yours let in your house in the middle of the night you ignorant sodomite bigot. Btw still today the sin of sodomy in most of the old world middle east is RUDENESS!!!! Even to this day...
Oh and the term Yadha is used about 40 other times in the bible and guess what in every case it means to know as in meet and understand....
Hey curious did the young boys and girls intend to Fluck the angels in the azz too!!!!!!!!!!
I suppose that the intentions of young boys and girls would have had more significance if they "knew" they were contending with angels.

The moral of the story here seems to have a lot to do with context. Your "insiders" and "outsiders" focus actually has an insightful interpretation to add to the debate. None the less, we are talking about Biblical stories which really don't have much influence on my views regarding homosexuality anyway.

Homosexuality is a minor mental disorder. It can be considered similar to other obsessive/compulsive manifestations but it should have the same legal importance as nose picking or smelling ones fingers after sticking them in odd places. It's a disturbing habit in public but not a crime unless one pursues it aggressively.

The real complication is that straights seem to think that guys should always do "a man's duty" and defend themselves. Nobody really seems to care much otherwise about witches or eccentric writers, but when gays go wandering into the traditional places where alpha males are in charge,$hit happens and nobody likes it.

Me personally, I'm tired of getting caught in these political struggles. I really don't respond the way alpha dogs want me to, but I have no interest in homosexuality. I just want this nonsense put to death, one way or another.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4435 Jun 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Christianity is a minor mental disorder. It can be considered similar to other obsessive/compulsive manifestations but it should have the same legal importance as nose picking or smelling ones fingers after sticking them in odd places. It's a disturbing habit in public but not a crime unless one pursues it aggressively.
I just want this nonsense put to death, one way or another.[/
Unfortunately, the general public considers religion to be essential to our culture and Constitutionally protected....and the debate concerning gay marriage is NOT about the Christian interpretation of marriage. First, there isn't consensus. Second, the state is obligated to not get involved in matters of religion.

The real question is about why the State DOES get involved in the act of marriage. By all common sense interpretations, there are two factors. First, the traditional role of the wife an the husband is assumed but not mandatory. Second, the implied condition of marriage as a part of raising family is assumed.

Now, in neither case does homosexuality play into this. The traditional role of money maker/home maker isn't in play, nor is the act of procreation a possibility. If you were to accept traditional roles, then that "sanctity" of marriage is important, but since you're just looking for tax breaks, I find this whole debate offensive.

I choose to be single for many reasons, and I find it offensive that anyone would even consider it "my problem" for not getting on-board with encumbering legal definitions of marriage. My pursuit of happiness does not entail contracts as a matter of sexuality.

So, rant against Christians all you want. That's not the debate. You can demonize them. That only proves that you aren't interested in the Constitutional side of this debate at all. You're actually going against Constitutionality and that is what I have been demonstrating all along.

Feel free to keep fishing though. You've come up with an attack against religion, unfair taxation against single people and will undoubtedly try to turn this into an Affirmative Action agenda before this is over. You WILL USE IT!
The Troll Stopper

United States

#4437 Jun 30, 2013
<quoted text>Christianity is a minor mental disorder. It can be considered similar to other obsessive/compulsive manifestations but it should have the same legal importance as nose picking or smelling ones fingers after sticking them in odd places. It's a disturbing habit in public but not a crime unless one pursues it aggressively.
I just want this nonsense put to death, one way or another.[/
What kind of mental disorder do you have? A slu+ that has both sex organs and does anything that moves, man, woman, or beast. Sick perverted creature.
The Troll Stopper

United States

#4438 Jun 30, 2013
<quoted text>sorry but I just personally hate Christians and all of their SPECIAL RIGHTS they demand for a CHOSEN BEHAVIOR that is clearly not something you are born with and have no GENE for and its time to revoke those SPECIAL RIGHTS given the vast majority of americans no longer even regularily attend church
You hate anything normal. But you can't get enough of anything perverted, like yourself. You nasty a.ss disease infested pervert.
american

Princeton, WV

#4441 Jun 30, 2013
you have to remember that PAUL in the bible hated Christians to in the bible before he was a changed man for GOD. sodomites can be forgiven,but we must not back up their way of life,it is a sin as many other sins we chose to do when we disobey GOD.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4442 Jul 1, 2013
The Troll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, but the APA took homosexuality off its list of mental disorders 40 years ago, dude. Unlike you, they've got the scientifically valid, peer-reviewed research to back it all up.
The REAL Troll Stopper (NOT the fake one from the DC area who keeps getting his posts deleted).
The APA probably does not consider a lot of behaviors to be a disease, however it seems that they consider obesity to be one. I don't take the medical profession too seriously. In a country where we spend far more than any other country on healthcare, yet rank 38th in what we get, I am certainly convinced that the profession has become a racket.

This isn't rhetoric. Just check out Wikipedia stats: These are World Health Org. numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Org...

Only one thing can be behind such lunacy. Politics.

Internationally, the same numbers for legal homosexual marriage: There are only 13 countries that have legalized it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_union_...

The numbers seem to be highly in favor of west European countries and their colonial remains.

So, those are numbers that have meaning. Just what exactly does the APA have that you can SHOW me? See, I don't consider "peer review" to be an edict coming from a secret society....and yes, considering how the price of education has skyrocketed, I consider many professions to have become secret societies. What will happen when the majority of real practicing physicians come from countries that don't indulge your political vigilantism?

I really don't have time for this nonsense. Show us the "peer review". I want to know what research was done, and based on what questions asked. Until then, I find it quite legitimate to consider homosexuality a minor mental illness and I certainly am not going to trample the rights of Christians if I'm just defending one form of prejudice over another.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4443 Jul 1, 2013
<quoted text>sorry but I just personally hate Christians and all of their SPECIAL RIGHTS they demand for a CHOSEN BEHAVIOR that is clearly not something you are born with and have no GENE for and its time to revoke those SPECIAL RIGHTS given the vast majority of americans no longer even regularily attend church
It's completely legal for you to hate Christians, but don't go waving any banners about "haters going to hate" when anyone over the age of 16, and who no longer lives in their parents basement, knows that there's more to life then rebelling against all authority.

I still think you've picked the wrong cause but anyone who is convinced of Evolution should consider both homosexuality and religion to be little more than projected politics. Most of the population are plebeians who live for the moment and just don't care either way.

If you take the time to try to work together with the average troglodyte, you'll find out just how much they just want to be left alone to pursue their own indulgences. Depending on them for anything is a waste of time. You'll find far more support of legalizing marijuana then you'll find for gay marriage, but you still won't find enough will among them to actually do anything about it.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4444 Jul 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't have time for this nonsense. Show us the "peer review". I want to know what research was done, and based on what questions asked. Until then, I find it quite legitimate to consider homosexuality a minor mental illness and I certainly am not going to trample the rights of Christians if I'm just defending one form of prejudice over another.
If being gay is a mental illness, it's the only one that does not in any way prevent/hinder the "afflicted" from participating fully in society, being just as productive, just as successful, just as happy, and just as fulfilled as everyone who does not share it.

It is innate, not changeable, not "healable", and is seen in many other species in varying ways.

That's a pretty strange illness.

Doesn't that sound a bit more like a natural variation, one among millions of such variations that make up the human race?

And should such a small variation automatically deny any human who shares it the right to have their family legally recognized?

Location hidden

#4445 Jul 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I still think you've picked the wrong cause but anyone who is convinced of Evolution should consider both homosexuality and religion to be little more than projected politics.......
Why?

I know many Christians who believe that God set everything in motion through evolution, and that the Hebrew creation story is just that - a parable - like many others used by Jesus to teach.

And why would anyone believe that being gay is some sort of political thing? Gay people can BE political, and be involved in politics, but being gay itself is not political - it's just a trait shared by a small percentage of the population.

Location hidden

#4446 Jul 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I imagine that you'll find a Christian. It's easy to get that confused with bigotry and antisemitism because organized Christian doctrine is bigoted, and well... it's not Judaism. It doesn't necessarily follow that the individual is bigoted because the New Testament is NOT about bigotry.
It's good to keep a level head on these things, but.... you're going to USE IT! You WILL USE IT!
Bigotry is the irrational fear or hatred of someone else, based on some characteristic. And sadly it often seems to be based in someone's religious belief. Christians are just as likely to suffer from it, and often seem to be MORE likely to suffer form it, than the rest of the population.

It's sad, really, because they are driving away the very people that Jesus would welcome.

Some of the most anti-christian gay/trans people who post here have good reason to HATE everything they perceive as christian. They've suffered more than you can imagine.

And that's sad. It shouldn't be that way.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4447 Jul 1, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
If being gay is a mental illness, it's the only one that does not in any way prevent/hinder the "afflicted" from participating fully in society, being just as productive, just as successful, just as happy, and just as fulfilled as everyone who does not share it.
It is innate, not changeable, not "healable", and is seen in many other species in varying ways.
Doesn't that sound a bit more like a natural variation, one among millions of such variations that make up the human race?
And should such a small variation automatically deny any human who shares it the right to have their family legally recognized?
That's a matter of opinion. Would you consider Asperger's patients to be participating fully in society?

James Holmes?
Steven Kazmierczak?
Adam Lanza?

All of these people were getting along fine in society until one day, they were most certainly not! They were known to have mental disorders but they were being treated.

Now, how about Pvt. Bradley Manning? Very similar pattern. Troubles in school, tossed out of the military, etc. He managed to get back in the military, probably because of Liberal political dogma, but he turned around and bit his master. He didn't pick select bits of information to blow the whistle on anything. He just wanted to hurt the system. He exposed everything he could get his hands on. Does THAT make him a hero?

There's a certain pattern here. It's not a specific disease, nor is it a specific politics. What it is, is a tendency to drug up people who aren't coping, and then one day the drugs stop keeping that person in their emotional and rational center.

Now, you can blame society. You can blame the healthcare system. You can blame a political party, but when it comes down to the details, a person who fights against the conventions of a culture with nothing but their ego and drugs as a defense, usually breaks down.

What you have right now is two basic forms of denial in our culture. One of them is kind of a Quentin Tarantino choreography of complete disconnect from any type of morality. The other is the old fashion religion where the complete disconnect is from empirical logic.

Our culture nurtures both of these forms of lunacy and I'm in no position to stop them, or to stop people from going over the edge and cherry-picking elements from both indulgences to act out on whatever private anger they may be going through.

I do make one observation though. People who don't fit in usually are not in a position to fight back. They are either too small, too timid or too easily tagged as being an outcast for physical reasons that they have no control over. Most people can be trained out of being timid, and that seems to be something that the gay community is big on, but the problem is that those problems were always there and will always be there, building up like a toxin in one's body.

Now, I consider myself a rational libertarian. We will always have crime and our government must limit itself to stopping the crimes they can stop without resorting to law enforcement through fear, uncertainty and doubt. The increase in psychotic acts of crime, if there is one, is probably due to the intimidation factor of law enforcement and the resulting confusion in our culture that some people simply can't cope with.

Neither party is willing to give up on intimidation. They have absolutely NO BUSINESS in engaging in ANY kind of social engineering programs as long as they rely on such a despicable act. You can call it anything YOU want but MY judgement is that it is government laundering of the prejudices we still indulge in as a community.

If you want to impress me, put your facts on the table. I don't need to hear what the "professional opinions" of three hundred million Elvis fans are. Just show me the facts. Show me the logic and show me a plan. Otherwise, this remains a dreary mud-wrestling pit of name calling.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4448 Jul 1, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
I know many Christians who believe that God set everything in motion through evolution, and that the Hebrew creation story is just that - a parable - like many others used by Jesus to teach.
And why would anyone believe that being gay is some sort of political thing? Gay people can BE political, and be involved in politics, but being gay itself is not political - it's just a trait shared by a small percentage of the population.
The real question is "Why bother to consider a god if you're assuming that this god does not interact in a universe of absolute physical laws?"

A parable is art or it is symbolic politics, but it is not a matter of law.

And as I implied in my last post, if homosexuality is a mental disorder, do we have a responsibility to shelter children from being raised by those who are not up to the task? How do you define that task? What business does the government have in financially subsidizing breeding anyway?

I'm tired of "Why not?" The world if full of that $hit. It's unpleasant but necessary to ask "Why?" regarding the matters of government. The government is not just a vehicle for everyone's private fantasy.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#4449 Jul 1, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigotry is the irrational fear or hatred of someone else, based on some characteristic. And sadly it often seems to be based in someone's religious belief. Christians are just as likely to suffer from it, and often seem to be MORE likely to suffer form it, than the rest of the population.
It's sad, really, because they are driving away the very people that Jesus would welcome.
Some of the most anti-christian gay/trans people who post here have good reason to HATE everything they perceive as christian. They've suffered more than you can imagine.
And that's sad. It shouldn't be that way.
Christians are not more likely to suffer from bigotry. They are more likely to get away with it by being in the majority.

I don't consider gay/teens to be more Christlike in their behavior. I consider them to be disposable recruits to Christendom, little more than the bomb carrying suicides that Islam exploits. If you want to do the Christian thing, give them a job and let them find their own way to live in dignity.

Do I see any of THAT going on?....Nope! I see more H-1b VISAs and illegal aliens working American farms, stealing from our infrastructure so conglomerates can cheat on taxes and pay people less than the minimum wage it takes to afford Obamacare.

Denial!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4450 Jul 1, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
1. If being gay is a mental illness, it's the only one that does not in any way prevent/hinder the "afflicted" from participating fully in society, being just as productive, just as successful, just as happy, and just as fulfilled as everyone who does not share it.
2. It is innate, not changeable, not "healable", and is seen in many other species in varying ways.
3. Doesn't that sound a bit more like a natural variation, one among millions of such variations that make up the human race?
1. To participate "fully" in society you and your partner would be able to create your own family. You can't.
2. It isn't normal. Stop comparing yourself to monkeys, dogs, and bugs.
3. It isn't a "small variation." It defines you. Your family is legally recognized.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4451 Jul 1, 2013
Wondering wrote:
1. To participate "fully" in society you and your partner would be able to create your own family. You can't.
Wondering, your rationalizations are quite trite.

Can an infertile heterosexual couple "participate "fully" in society"?

You are truly a twit.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#4452 Jul 1, 2013
lides wrote:
And of course he has no reason to lie... Or does he?
NOM has a long history of failing to follow the laws in the jurisdictions in which it is interfering, excuse me, operating.
http://www.hrc.org/nomexposed/section/what-et...
So cute, use the HRC, NOM's political enemies as a source for defamation. Dr. John Eastman had no reason to lie under oath to Congress. Let the FBI investigate.

lides wrote:
I'm not sure these idiots are doing themselves a favor by inviting closer scrutiny. Ultimately, in the grand scheme of life, I don't see them being in operation in a few years. Their attempt to spread hate and intolerance, and to withhold rights from fellow Americans will have failed, and they will simply cease to exist.
I'm glad lides agrees; closer scrutiny is invited; let the FBI investigate.

Did you think the 'd' in lides' name stands for 'defamation', not 'deception'?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#4453 Jul 1, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
Why do you continue to spam Topix with your lies, Brian? HuffPost stated the NOM tax information was leaked by a "whistleblower", the common definition of which means someone inside the organization whose information was leaked. Regardless, it's not been proven the source of the information was the IRS, much less that it was leaked an IRS employee. The tax information could have been downloaded from the IRS website by a disgruntled employee of NOM and leaked to the public, a scenario even NOM admits is possible. Until the matter is investigated, asserting an unproven accusation as fact is nothing more than a lie on your part.
The leaked documents have IRS processing numbers on them, they were obviously leaked after submittal to the IRS. The HRC claims they recieved documents from the IRS, that weren't authorized for disclosure. Let the FBI investigate.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4455 Jul 1, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Wondering, your rationalizations are quite trite.
2. Can an infertile heterosexual couple "participate "fully" in society"?
3. You are truly a twit.
1. More misguided opinion from JD?
2. No they can't, but for different reasons.
3. More misguided opinion from JD?

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4456 Jul 1, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>So cute, use the HRC, NOM's political enemies as a source for defamation. Dr. John Eastman had no reason to lie under oath to Congress. Let the FBI investigate.
<quoted text>I'm glad lides agrees; closer scrutiny is invited; let the FBI investigate.
Did you think the 'd' in lides' name stands for 'defamation', not 'deception'?
Brian, you are an idiot, incapable of rational thought.

Have fun with your conspiracy theory.

Why don't you run outside and play with the other kids. You certianly can't back your claims with fact. The fact that you think offering the allegation made before congress by the head of NOM is proof of the claim they were making, illustrates the gargantuan holes in your critical thinking skills.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4457 Jul 1, 2013
lides wrote:
Why don't you run outside and play with the other kids.
That's your job. Don't forget your rain boots.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California lawmakers to tackle housing crisis, ... 1 hr SNAFU 5
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr 2all 63,944
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 hr ImPeach 242,535
News Vice President Mike Pence is heading to Califor... 12 hr fingers mcgurke 4
Poll Should US Go Back To Segregation? (Oct '11) 12 hr WPride2017 14
Sheryl Shannon of Facebook she's a scammer 18 hr Redneck 1
News What was that giant, weird-looking dome you saw... Fri Mullahing It Over 2
More from around the web