Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61391 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#39860 Mar 30, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
NO one is declaring that opposite-sex marriage is UNCONSTITUTIONAL you drip....
"you drip"? Now that was funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Actually several judges have done just that by telling states they can't define marriage as they always defined it, as a union of one man and one woman as husband and wife!!!!!!
.what is UNCONSTITUTIONAL is denying Gays and Lesbians the RIGHT to marry the person of their choosing without regard to that person's gender!!!
So all someone has to do is adopt a sexual identity and the state has to change the law for their identity?

Why do you exclude the bisexuals? Where's their right to marry according to their "orientation"?
You obviously have DIFFICULTY grasping that!!!
The bizarro notion that "husband and wife" is suddenly unconstitutional? Yes....the founders of the constitution must be spinning in their graves.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#39861 Mar 30, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not about "casting judgement on gays", but of discussing marriage as a matter of public policy, and the potential negative impact of redefining it. Not all gay folks are in lock step behind the rainbow flag in redefining marriage.
It's none of your business who marries who shitass.

That's what it boils down to.

If you were to step in front of the marriage I had to my wife I'd take you out friend. That's what angers me about people like you who think they can step in front of others getting married. Including gays.

You're a lost soul brother. I feel sorry for you. No kidding.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#39862 Mar 30, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
Actually several judges have done just that by telling states they can't define marriage as they always defined it, as a union of one man and one woman as husband and wife!!!!!!
Nope, you'd be wrong..........what the Judges have ruled is that the State has NO compelling reason as to why they should be allowed to deny the right to marry to Gays and Lesbians......that has NOTHING to do with ruling a marriage involving a man and a woman as being UNCONSTITUTIONAL......talk about being a drama queen!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#39863 Mar 30, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh puh-lease.
Our society is based on freedoms dumbshit. Freedoms that produce no viable harm.
Your "culture" belongs with the Klu Klux Klan friend. And that's not a culture I want to be associated with.
I',m not gay myself and at one time I searched high and low for harm gays may have caused in my fight against them.
That's what changed my mind. I couldn't find any. They harm no one and in many cases are upstanding citizens whom often outperform me and others in contributing to society.
Don't talk to me about courage in the safety of the internet friend. Courage takes place outside of this format and I hate to tell you many gays had more courage than me in their "coming out" in many cases.
You need to drop the hate friend. It's a weight you shouldn't carry.
Yet there are gay people who oppose redefining marriage, for the same reasons as "straight" people. Not out of hatred, or animosity, but a genuine respect for marriage, and it's public purpose. So are gay people who oppose gay marriage, hateful?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22758434

After France's first same-sex marriage, and a vote in the UK Parliament which puts England and Wales on course for gay weddings next summer, two US Supreme Court rulings expected soon could hasten the advance of same-sex marriage across the Atlantic. But some gay people remain opposed. Why?

"It's demonstrably not the same as heterosexual marriage - the religious and social significance of a gay wedding ceremony simply isn't the same."

Jonathan Soroff lives in liberal Massachusetts with his male partner, Sam. He doesn't fit the common stereotype of an opponent of gay marriage.

But like half of his friends, he does not believe that couples of the same gender should marry.

"We're not going to procreate as a couple and while the desire to demonstrate commitment might be laudable, the religious traditions that have accommodated same-sex couples have had to do some fairly major contortions," says Soroff.

http://www.bookwormroom.com/2013/01/10/in-fra...

In France, anti-gay marriage voices emerge — from gays
JANUARY 10, 2013 BY BOOKWORM 3 COMMENTS

Yesterday, I posted about the differences between gay sex (which is none of my business, so you can do what you like) and gay marriage (which is a significant state institution that cannot be treated in a libertarian way). I was not arguing against gay marriage, per se, although I do have different ideas than most about ways in which committed same-sex partners can confirm their status so as to ensure equal treatment under the law.

Out of France, though, comes a group that is strongly opposed to gay marriage. That’s a dog bites man sentence. What makes it a man bites dog story is the fact that this group is made up of gays, who believe that gay marriage is wrong, that it is at odds with gay culture, and that it is inconsistent with the core nature of marriage:

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#39864 Mar 30, 2014
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Another fundie with a "plague of locusts" argument.
Come on, tell us a single aspect of our culture that has been harmed by gay marriage.
<quoted text>
Gay marriage will destroy society as a whole...LOL
Well, I guess if you are stupid enough to believe that fundie god and Jesus stuff, you're stupid enough to believe that.
The sky is falling.......

The sky is falling.....

Tawas City, Michigan

#39865 Mar 30, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheepie is NOT a libertarian, he is a fascist who believes in all power belonging to the government.
Actually I'm a libertarian who recognizes the important role govt plays in our society.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#39866 Mar 30, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters to the state, or are you advocating the state get out of the marriage business?
If you were to step in front of the marriage I had to my wife I'd take you out friend.
What are you babbling about?
That's what angers me about people like you who think they can step in front of others getting married. Including gays.
Oh madone! Uhhhhhh.....huh......so what's the point if every one can marry as they choose, to whomever they choose, man, woman, or any combination there of?
Live long an prosper Denver Dan.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39867 Mar 30, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamists have also already won, it is just going to take some time for the rest of America to catch up.
Correct, polygamist have won the ability to live with as many adults as they want.

A right every American should be able to exercise.
Nine ball

Harrodsburg, KY

#39868 Mar 30, 2014
Denver Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were to step in front of the marriage I had to my wife I'd take you out friend. That's what angers me about people like you who think they can step in front of others getting married. Including gays.
I can hear you clucking but I can't find your nest.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#39869 Mar 30, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
You are just like that gay couple making demands on the baker and violating his rights to be left alone.
Gee...... how does a bakery expect to make any money if they want to be left alone? And since when is going into a bakery and asking to buy a cake considered "making demands?" You are so full of your own hyperbole that you can't see how brainless your posts read.

I know why you hated public school. I'm sure your teachers read your papers and corrected you in front of the entire class. They probably got a bigger laugh than I do from your ridiculous attempts at reasoning.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#39870 Mar 30, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Then by the same logic, husband and wife and wife is constitutional. So is husband and dog.
Oh, yeah, in the 14th Amendment it says,
"All mammals born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any mammal of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any mammal within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
anonymous wrote:
Animal rights activists have already been demanding citizenship status for apes taught to talk.
Humans are apes taught to talk.
anonymous wrote:
Just another phony libertarian who thinks everyone should obey the law but when HE or SHE has to obey the law, it's the 14th Amendment. That's why the Supreme Court precedent has always restricted that amendment to "opportunity" not guaranteed, and only to groups that have been acknowledged as protected groups, racial and religious minorities and women. The government simply can't spend the resources on placating every obsessive/compulsive in existence.
For now, the Liberals are going against precedent for the politics. They will pay for that mistake.
Please have exact change.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39871 Mar 30, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"you drip"? Now that was funny! Thanks for the laugh.
<quoted text>
So all someone has to do is adopt a sexual identity and the state has to change the law for their identity?
Why do you exclude the bisexuals? Where's their right to marry according to their "orientation"?
<quoted text>
The bizarro notion that "husband and wife" is suddenly unconstitutional? Yes....the founders of the constitution must be spinning in their graves.
Nope, marriage between husband & wife is still legal and a constitutional right in all 50 states.

Nope, bisexual have the same right to marry as gay & straight do.

Nope, only bans on same-sex couples marrying have been ruled unconstitutional.

Yep, you anti-gays are STILL losing with those same lame claims in court after court after court.....
Nine ball

Harrodsburg, KY

#39872 Mar 30, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, you'd be wrong..........what the Judges have ruled is that the State has NO compelling reason as to why they should be allowed to deny the right to marry to Gays and Lesbians......that has NOTHING to do with ruling a marriage involving a man and a woman as being UNCONSTITUTIONAL......talk about being a drama queen!!!
Sweet evening breeze. why is you so into making sure that you is a lesbane? I likes a chaw of backer ever now and then. I nose that spitting in a can that I wood have to carry around and having backer juice run down my chin would insult some people so I dose my backer chawing in private at home. Most people don't nose that I chaws. Why is you such a drama queen yourself? I don't care what you dose. I just don't you to horn in on something what has been around for many years. Git yourself some other name for it and marry up all you wants with one or more lesbanes. Strap on a fake pecker and have it it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#39873 Mar 30, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet there are gay people who oppose redefining marriage, for the same reasons as "straight" people. Not out of hatred, or animosity, but a genuine respect for marriage, and it's public purpose. So are gay people who oppose gay marriage, hateful?
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22758434
After France's first same-sex marriage, and a vote in the UK Parliament which puts England and Wales on course for gay weddings next summer, two US Supreme Court rulings expected soon could hasten the advance of same-sex marriage across the Atlantic. But some gay people remain opposed. Why?
"It's demonstrably not the same as heterosexual marriage - the religious and social significance of a gay wedding ceremony simply isn't the same."
Jonathan Soroff lives in liberal Massachusetts with his male partner, Sam. He doesn't fit the common stereotype of an opponent of gay marriage.
But like half of his friends, he does not believe that couples of the same gender should marry.
"We're not going to procreate as a couple and while the desire to demonstrate commitment might be laudable, the religious traditions that have accommodated same-sex couples have had to do some fairly major contortions," says Soroff.
http://www.bookwormroom.com/2013/01/10/in-fra...
In France, anti-gay marriage voices emerge — from gays
JANUARY 10, 2013 BY BOOKWORM 3 COMMENTS
Yesterday, I posted about the differences between gay sex (which is none of my business, so you can do what you like) and gay marriage (which is a significant state institution that cannot be treated in a libertarian way). I was not arguing against gay marriage, per se, although I do have different ideas than most about ways in which committed same-sex partners can confirm their status so as to ensure equal treatment under the law.
Out of France, though, comes a group that is strongly opposed to gay marriage. That’s a dog bites man sentence. What makes it a man bites dog story is the fact that this group is made up of gays, who believe that gay marriage is wrong, that it is at odds with gay culture, and that it is inconsistent with the core nature of marriage:
You think too hard.

When I was young I used to jump barbed wire fences and run through orange orchards to find the woman of my dreams.

I think it no different for those who held same sex attractions.

I've been married twice now and with my second wife. I find it morally wrong to block others of having the love of their life - including gays.

It's a simple thing brother. If gays want to marry it's up to them, not us.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#39874 Mar 30, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone with an IQ higher than yours.
Really? Everyone with a higher IQ than me believes in that deductive fallacy of Flunkie's? I don't think so, Rev. Anal. Try taking a logic class.... oh wait.... I forgot that you are incorrigible and bristle at any attempt at being corrected.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#39876 Mar 30, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, marriage between husband & wife is still legal and a constitutional right in all 50 states.
Nope, bisexual have the same right to marry as gay & straight do.
Nope, only bans on same-sex couples marrying have been ruled unconstitutional.
Yep, you anti-gays are STILL losing with those same lame claims in court after court after court.....
If the world was up to them, they'd have to re-invent the wheel every damn day, they really are THAT illogical.
Nine ball

Harrodsburg, KY

#39877 Mar 30, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee...... how does a bakery expect to make any money if they want to be left alone? And since when is going into a bakery and asking to buy a cake considered "making demands?" You are so full of your own hyperbole that you can't see how brainless your posts read.
I know why you hated public school. I'm sure your teachers read your papers and corrected you in front of the entire class. They probably got a bigger laugh than I do from your ridiculous attempts at reasoning.
You is a gas. You talks about your rites and I agrees that you should git them. I ain't got nothing again them gays or lesbanes so long as they keeps private thangs private. If they dose that then them bakery fellers won't even no that they is dealing with someone what is again their religion. But if they is gitting married up and they ask a feller to bake them a cake and bring it to the so called wedding then it is his rite to say buy your cake somewhere else. See, breathless baby....you is all for your rites and again the other feller's rites. That makes you a bigot, don't it. And it is also pretty dum, ain't it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#39878 Mar 30, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.

So were:

-Jews who supported Hitler
-Blacks who supported slavery
-Women who opposed women being able to vote
-Asians who supported the Japanese internment.
-Native Americans who helped the US Cavalry wipe out other Native tribes.
-Blacks who supported segregation
-Whites who supported segregation
-Blacks who opposed inter-racial marriages

Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

There are always misguided people who hate those they share a trait with. It's usually linked to a self-hatred they have.
Denver Dan

Sacramento, CA

#39879 Mar 30, 2014
Nine ball wrote:
<quoted text> You is a gas. You talks about your rites and I agrees that you should git them. I ain't got nothing again them gays or lesbanes so long as they keeps private thangs private. If they dose that then them bakery fellers won't even no that they is dealing with someone what is again their religion. But if they is gitting married up and they ask a feller to bake them a cake and bring it to the so called wedding then it is his rite to say buy your cake somewhere else. See, breathless baby....you is all for your rites and again the other feller's rites. That makes you a bigot, don't it. And it is also pretty dum, ain't it.
When does the rent for the trailer you live in come due?

Tawas City, Michigan

#39880 Mar 30, 2014
Nine ball wrote:
<quoted text> Sweet evening breeze. why is you so into making sure that you is a lesbane? I likes a chaw of backer ever now and then. I nose that spitting in a can that I wood have to carry around and having backer juice run down my chin would insult some people so I dose my backer chawing in private at home. Most people don't nose that I chaws. Why is you such a drama queen yourself? I don't care what you dose. I just don't you to horn in on something what has been around for many years. Git yourself some other name for it and marry up all you wants with one or more lesbanes. Strap on a fake pecker and have it it.
It doesn't matter if you don't like it, we're doing it anyways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Rogue Scholar 05 216,893
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 51 min Into The Night 60,123
News Violence follows California Trump rally, about ... 59 min barefoot2626 1,385
Need Urgent Financial assistance or Loan? Conta... (Jun '13) 23 hr Mr Williams Hood 17
News Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, ren... Tue PFfff 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon Barbi A 201,865
News California can't hide police misconduct any more Mon Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web