Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61362 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

yuck

San Jose, CA

#2939 May 3, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
Marriage is marriage. If you have the legal right to be a gay couple, you have the legal right to be a gay MARRIED couple. End of debate.
Let's climb out of the 19th century, folks.
There is nothing modern about homosexuality. It's been the scourge of society since the dawn of civilization.

“Dancing with the devil”

Since: May 12

...Dreaming of angels

#2940 May 3, 2013
yuck wrote:
<quoted text>There is nothing modern about homosexuality. It's been the scourge of society since the dawn of civilization.
Actually many societies embraced it. Like Rome.
Gabriella Cruse

Mobile, AL

#2941 May 3, 2013
common sense wrote:
you say and argue that its normal and natural when in fact its not.The normal state of a human is to be heterosexual as is evident when 95 percent of the population is heterosexual.Yes it has been around for ever but so has down syndrome ,or diabetes and schiphrenia and other disorders .Nature is not perfect as we all know but its pretty obvious what natures design is meant to be when the sex organs of the male and female fit so perfectly into each other and compliment each other and are designed specifically for intercourse.
By legalizing same sex marriage you are sending out the message to kids that homosexuality is just as normal and wholesome and natural as being heterosexual.Once its legalized then any church that is on state owned land will be obliged to marry gays as is the case in denmark now.Im pretty sure that after that it will be taught in schools as part of the sex education curricullum brainwashing and corrupting vulnerable teens that its ok to experiment with your sexuality and that its normal.Im sure we'll also be bombarded with homosexuality on the media as well even more than what we are seeing now,further spreading the message and corrupting young immpressionable minds that being gay is cool,and is applauded ,and is right and normal .
I believe that a true homosexual is was that is has no interest whatsoever in sexual acvtivity with the opposite sex,but with all this pro gay propoganda thats being spread we will see a rise in people exploring homosexuality as a viable option to see if they like and i want to protect my kids from that.Homesexual behaviour should not be encouraged but should be looked at as a disorder which is exactly what it is.
You sound like a mentally ill person.:D
yuck

San Jose, CA

#2942 May 3, 2013
undefined apathy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, right before the collapse and then it became taboo.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#2943 May 3, 2013
undefined apathy wrote:
<quoted text>
...and you see how 'that' worked out...
yuck

San Jose, CA

#2944 May 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
"[H]omosexuality is a normal part of our species" but that's no reason to rewrite marriage law; heterosexuality is a normal part of our species too. You won't earn acceptance by rewriting laws, you earn it by gaining respect.
Having sex with children was once a normal part of the human species but do we except pedophilia as normal and one that shouldn't be frowned upon?

Homosexuality is an anomaly and it doesn't make it normal or ok. You want the fast track to aids and hiv? Be a homosexual.
Gabriella Cruse

Mobile, AL

#2945 May 3, 2013
yuck wrote:
<quoted text>Having sex with children was once a normal part of the human species but do we except pedophilia as normal and one that shouldn't be frowned upon?
Homosexuality is an anomaly and it doesn't make it normal or ok. You want the fast track to aids and hiv? Be a homosexual.
Your opinion is based on stuff you got from someone who hates gays. It's not based on facts, it's based on hatred. If you don't want to be gay, don't. But don't harrass others who choose to be gay.

“Dancing with the devil”

...Dreaming of angels

#2946 May 3, 2013
yuck wrote:
<quoted text> Yea, right before the collapse and then it became taboo.
No actually right from the start.

Also, do you even know what happened to Rome?

Rome collapsed because it was so successful ( that's right it became successful ) that it wound up expanding so far that it became impossible to manage and govern. Rome failed because it became too powerful and there wasn't the right kind of technology to manage a power of that size. If I was an ancient civilization that'd be the ideal way for me to fail. Too awesome to handle.

Also many societies before and after them were open to homosexuality.:D

“Dancing with the devil”

...Dreaming of angels

#2947 May 3, 2013
yuck wrote:
<quoted text>Having sex with children was once a normal part of the human species but do we except pedophilia as normal and one that shouldn't be frowned upon?
Really? 0.o

I hate this kind of crap. This always gets tossed in.

1.) Child rape and Homosexuality aren't even related so please stop using children and sex...it's weird and disturbing.

2.) AIDs and HIV can be caught by straight couples as well, and the key to that issue is just safe sex, and not having sex with everyone.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#2948 May 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
There are no couple's rights in the Constitution, you have freedom of association, not ersatz equality. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution either.
Federal law recognizes marriage as one man and one woman.
There is a right to equal protection. You have once again failed to articulate any legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry. Marriage is a protection of the law in every state in the union.

Unless you can indicate a place where the US Constitution delegates the federal government the authority to regulate marriage, the 10th Amendment reserves such power for the states. Ergo, your precious federal law is unconstitutional.
Brian_G wrote:
Our Constitution has no 'right' to equality of outcome, only the individual right to equality of opportunity. There is no gender equality or age equality right in the US Constitution.
Keeping marriage male/female means rejecting ersatz equality and bad social policy.
Marriage, legal or religious, does not provide equality of outcome.

The equality sought is not ersatz.

if this is the best argument you have, you have no argument at all.

Still waiting for you to indicate a compelling state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry. It tends to make one think that you lack the ability to do so.
Time To Let It Go

Tempe, AZ

#2949 May 3, 2013
yuck wrote:
D-U-H! Sorry but world wide the vast majority of AID's and HIV cases are of a heterosexual nature! Not only that but they now know that the virus has been around for over 50 years as they have found documented cases showing so! Off topic much? And pedophilia has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand,but there again the vast majority of molestations are also of a heterosexual nature! So,do you hate all heterosexuals because of the crimes of a few? So now what hypocritical hate boy?
Gen

Odessa, TX

#2950 May 3, 2013
Gay married is ignorant, stupid, suck....
You gays are sick...
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#2951 May 3, 2013
common sense wrote:
you say and argue that its normal and natural when in fact its not.The normal state of a human is to be heterosexual as is evident when 95 percent of the population is heterosexual.Yes it has been around for ever but so has down syndrome ,or diabetes and schiphrenia and other disorders .Nature is not perfect as we all know but its pretty obvious what natures design is meant to be when the sex organs of the male and female fit so perfectly into each other and compliment each other and are designed specifically for intercourse.
By legalizing same sex marriage you are sending out the message to kids that homosexuality is just as normal and wholesome and natural as being heterosexual.Once its legalized then any church that is on state owned land will be obliged to marry gays as is the case in denmark now.Im pretty sure that after that it will be taught in schools as part of the sex education curricullum brainwashing and corrupting vulnerable teens that its ok to experiment with your sexuality and that its normal.Im sure we'll also be bombarded with homosexuality on the media as well even more than what we are seeing now,further spreading the message and corrupting young immpressionable minds that being gay is cool,and is applauded ,and is right and normal .
I believe that a true homosexual is was that is has no interest whatsoever in sexual acvtivity with the opposite sex,but with all this pro gay propoganda thats being spread we will see a rise in people exploring homosexuality as a viable option to see if they like and i want to protect my kids from that.Homesexual behaviour should not be encouraged but should be looked at as a disorder which is exactly what it is.
You're missing the point! There's nothing wrong with experimenting with your sexuality.....as long as you understand the risk of sexually transmitted disease, you accept the social stigma of going against conventional thinking and you understand your own identity enough to realize when you're responding to peer pressure rather than your own feelings.

You know, I think it's a particularly White thing for guys to lie for each other and submit to alpha males and like it. I think there are psychological patterns that accept the pressures of urban living without getting lost......but then there are others who are close, but not close enough to know when they've crossed a boundary the takes something away from them.

Typically, people like who are more about mimicry than actual personal identity embrace religion because the sense of "wrongness" overwhelms the sense of rational purpose. With others, a fixation with rational purpose overwhelms that intuitive sense of what one's feelings represent. Generally, they just aren't very rational either! Perhaps that's a Freudian clash between ego and superego but I'll be honest. I don't get it.

Don't think I could......0_o
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#2952 May 3, 2013
Time To Let It Go wrote:
<quoted text>
D-U-H! Sorry but world wide the vast majority of AID's and HIV cases are of a heterosexual nature! Not only that but they now know that the virus has been around for over 50 years as they have found documented cases showing so! Off topic much? And pedophilia has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand,but there again the vast majority of molestations are also of a heterosexual nature! So,do you hate all heterosexuals because of the crimes of a few? So now what hypocritical hate boy?
Cooking the books, eh? How do the number go if you translate the number of AIDS cases as a percentage of victims in the gay community vs. the percentage of victims in the straight community?

Let me help you!

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/...

That's the CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION, not some conservative Jesus site. Just thought you should know!

Gays are about 1 to 3 percent of the population by most estimates. Of course more cases are going to be heterosexual in nature!
Time To Let It Go

Tempe, AZ

#2953 May 3, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Cooking the books, eh? How do the number go if you translate the number of AIDS cases as a percentage of victims in the gay community vs. the percentage of victims in the straight community?
Let me help you!
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/...
That's the CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION, not some conservative Jesus site. Just thought you should know!
Gays are about 1 to 3 percent of the population by most estimates. Of course more cases are going to be heterosexual in nature!
Sorry but not cooking anything! The key phrase being "World wide" Especially Africa and Asia! Besides,what has AID's have to do with the topic of the thread anyway? I mean lesbians have the lowest rates of H.I.V. than any group around! The numbers to back up my statement can be found at avast.com ! So care to try again and maybe try to be on topic for a change?
Time To Let It Go

Tempe, AZ

#2954 May 3, 2013
Sorry,wrong link,Here is the right one!

http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#2955 May 3, 2013
fr common sense:

>...i want to protect my kids from that.Homesexual behaviour should not be encouraged but should be looked at as a disorder which is exactly what it is. <

Please cite which medical school you graduated from.

In short, being GLBT is NOT a "disorder". However, being a BIGOT is, and there is help available for it. Get some.
common sense

Melbourne, Australia

#2956 May 3, 2013
Pattsboi ,thats so typical of gay people to start calling people bigots and other names because they dont conform to your politically correct way of thinking.What i said is the truth and if the truth hurts so be it.
You dont have to go to medical school to know that homesexuality is not normal human behaviour because if it was they're would be a hell of a lot more gays around ,which seems to be the agenda of this pro gay movement.
From what i've read on this forum it seems that the pro gays would like children to grow up thinking that homosexuality is something that is on par with being straight and that they should be encouraged to try it to see if they like it.I find this way of thinking to be quite disturbing and irresponsible and as a parent scares the sht out of me.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#2957 May 3, 2013
Marriage 'equality' is nothing like racial equality because gays have always been able to pass and share every privilege of the majority. Gays have always married under the same laws as everyone else.

Racial differences are unimportant and small but gender differences are great and essential to the survival of the human race.
d pantz

United States

#2958 May 4, 2013
undefined apathy wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all you might want to work on both a.) your grammar and b.) your spacing. It's hard to read through a jumbled up mess of word soup.
Now progressing forward. Yes the majority of the population is straight, however, that doesn't make homosexuality a disorder. It's uncommon, but genetics is like that. Sometimes unlikely things occur. They aren't perverse or wrong or even a disorder, just different. Some people are born with two different eye colors, are they also diseased and evil in your opinion? 0.o
Homosexuality is just as normal and wholesome as Heterosexuality. It's not as common, but that doesn't make it weird really. Besides it doesn't cause harm to anyone. People should be allowed/encouraged/and free to love whomever they love. Nature is nature, and I don't see why you are so adamantly against it.
By the way...no it shouldn't be looked down on. There's nothing wrong with being gay.
homosexual or nott, all the explicit media is bad for kids. Even if some of us are born gay, it must lay dormant until puberty as I didn't have any sexual preference as a child, and I'm glad I learned about responsibilty before I was exposed to the filth you see on daytime talk shows. There is nothing wholesome about any of it, gay or straight. I could live with a kids sshow teaching how its ok for a child to have two mommies or daddies, but boy I really don't want to see where else the media would take it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia faces new controv... 58 min Sherman 1
News Calif. sues carmakers over greenhouse gas (Sep '06) 1 hr whiney beech 11
News California poll: Newsom, Villaraigosa and Cox l... 1 hr Concave 1
News Is Californiaa s a resistancea doomed? Secessio... 2 hr Concave 42
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 hr Bolder 243,401
News California: The Crazy State 10 hr RiccardoFire 278
News The #MeToo push could lead to limits on binding... 20 hr Concave 1
News More California cities may join fight against s... 20 hr Concave 47