Medicaid surge triggers cost concerns for states

May 26, 2014 Full story: The Washington Post 33

This Jan. 23, 2013 file photo shows California State Assemblyman Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, center, at the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#21 May 28, 2014
As always...fencewalkers, keep purchasing your weapons. You have state, local, regional, city and federal taxes at way over 50% now. And that is being kind. Medical costs have been going up 15% or more a year for the last few decades. This must be brought under control. Even low cost medical coverage won't hide that as the increases will continue until it becomes unaffordable even by government payouts. It is a shame we can not audit the whole nation. To see where every penny has gone and to who over the years. Then we can get more specific instead of generalizing on all groups. We wasted so much money. So many resources from the ideas from the 1960's morphed into a voracious monster with a hundred tentacles with no control in its hunger. So depending how much each of us receives in this modern 21st century America, is the difference between great comfort and existence with some comforts. Privledged blue collar jobs are just that. It pays to lie low and not say a word if you got one. For it does not depend on ability as the first requirement. And it makes the people who are good at it, look bad in the process to others.
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#22 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
26 States refused expansion. The financial problems in those Republican lead States is not because of providing access for residents. Those States based on you argument are on easy street, right?
No. States that did not EXPAND Medicaid are already busy with their other obligations they decided to take on in supporting their people.

As I said previously: When it [a state] gets into the business of supporting individual people, then the government endangers its ability to meet its primary responsibility to the whole.

States following the idealogy of giving stuff to a lot of their people will NEVER be on easy street. They will ALWAYS need more money to support people who have become dependent upon the state for their very survival.
truth-facts

Sardinia, OH

#23 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
If your State didnt accept the funding or expand medicaid your books should be balanced and public services plentiful. There should be celebration in those States and citizens not dying from lack of health care access.
Hey dckweed,the states your referring that are in the red are ran by dumboRATS.
Tea Party

Princeton, KY

#24 May 28, 2014
It will not affect the majority of the states -- only the ones that did not exercise their right to opt out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5FLYVGzP0W0/UlTCt8o...
Tea Party

Princeton, KY

#25 May 28, 2014
Interestingly, the states that opted to expand Medicaid under Obamacare are already much more in dept than states that did not. Some examples:

New York dept per person is $17,818 (Expanded Medicaid)
California debt per person is $11,056 (Expanded Medicaid)

Georgia debt per person is $5,773 (Did NOT expand)
Tennessee debt per person is $6,232 (Did NOT expand)
foster

Ashburn, VA

#26 May 28, 2014
truth-facts wrote:
<quoted text>Hey dckweed,the states your referring that are in the red are ran by dumboRATS.
Your ignoring Jersey and Michigan just to narrow it down to two. If youd like add onto that Fla and Louisana as Red rule States
foster

Ashburn, VA

#27 May 28, 2014
Tea Party wrote:
Interestingly, the states that opted to expand Medicaid under Obamacare are already much more in dept than states that did not. Some examples:
New York dept per person is $17,818 (Expanded Medicaid)
California debt per person is $11,056 (Expanded Medicaid)
Georgia debt per person is $5,773 (Did NOT expand)
Tennessee debt per person is $6,232 (Did NOT expand)
Living in either Georgia or Tennessee is more a prison sentence with no citizen services or infastructure. Every house in Tenn and Ga doesnt have indoor toilets
Dubya Tee Eff

Auburn, MA

#28 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
Living in either Georgia or Tennessee is more a prison sentence with no citizen services or infastructure. Every house in Tenn and Ga doesnt have indoor toilets
Ahh yes, when presented with FACTS and numbers to back up those facts, deflect to bigotry and regional stereotyping.

In other words, youve got nothing to dispute his FACTS and you reply with off topic garbage. Very telling indeed.Hmmm.....
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#29 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm sure many are quite happy living that way.

People don't know what's best for themselves, government does.

Over here, the city government has to issue a permit for everything. Need a new awning? You need a permit. Want to fix your driveway or sidewalk? You need a permit. Want to rent an apartment? You need an occupancy permit and a city inspection of the rental unit.

You can't have your hedges no more than three feet high. You only have a government selection of colors you can paint your house with. You can't erect a fence until the city inspects the post holes, the holes after the cement and poles are inserted, and then the fencing has to be inspected and passed, and again, no higher of a fence than five feet.

So does crapping outside seem so bad now???
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#30 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
Providing Health Care to those who cant afford the cost is a basic demonstration of a civilized society respect for Human Rights.
Humanity on a battlefield causes an advancing military campaign to render medical aid to the opposition.
Why would you be so willing to step over and neglect your neighbor in a similiar scenario?
Healthcare is a human right? If so, where is that written and by whom?

Commie Care is the act of taking from the producers and giving to the non-producers.

I lost my healthcare because my employer could no longer afford the annual premium increases the last few years. Why the increases? Because that's the only way insurance companies can give coverage to high-risk clients.

Would I step over and neglect my neighbor? Yes I would if it meant he would be walking all over me and I'm paying for it. There is no reason in the world that I should lose my healthcare coverage so my lowlife non-working neighbor that abused every social program available could get his.

Responsible people generally vote Republican. Irresponsible people generally vote Democrat. The ploy here is to take from the potential Republican voters and give to the Democrat voters. That's Commie Care in a nutshell.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#31 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
The feds picks up all the cost for 3 years then 90%. If a State cant support its residents what good is that Govt? Those people pay the bills.
States nor the federal government are supposed to support it's residents. That's not what government is for. People are supposed to support themselves and government is supposed to govern.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#32 May 28, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
States are broke from Bush policies not medicaid. Your State didnt expand medicaid so any fiscal problems is not from medicaid. Besides the feds picks up the tab for expansion.
States have been struggling to support Medicaid long before Commie Care. Commie Care just made it worse.

Couple Medicaid with government unions and you have a huge amount of the states budget spent right there. Bush nor any Republican made policy that affected them in a financially negative way.

This "blame Bush" nonsense worked for a while, but it's nearly six years since Bush left office, and now people are starting to wise up. All the disaster currently happening in this country is bot because of Bush or the Republicans, it's because of your big-eared leader and his minions.
Bluegrass Tea Party

Paducah, KY

#33 May 31, 2014
States may totally drop out of Medicaid if they want to. Texas seriously considered it in 2013. This from the Heritage Foundation:

[Facing a $25 billion deficit for their next two-year budget cycle, Texas lawmakers are considering closing the gap by dropping out of Medicaid. This system is bankrupting our state, State Representative Warren Chisum told The New York Times. We need to get out of it. And with the budget shortfall were anticipating, we may have to act this year, he said.

And Texas is not alone. American Legislative Exchange Council director of the health and human services Christie Herrera tells NYT: States feel like their backs are against the wall, so this is the nuclear option for them. Im hearing below-the-radar chatter from legislators around the country from states considering this option.

Medicaid already eats up a huge share of state budgets. In Texas, for example, more than 20 percent of the state budget is spent on Medicaid. The crisis facing states across the country is that Obamacare forces states to massively expand their already burdensome Medicaid rolls…

Obamacares unfunded mandates are a fiscal time bomb set to explode state balance sheets across the country starting in 2014. States can prepare for the worst by slashing discretionary spending where possible and lowering existing health care costs by repealing their own burdensome health benefit mandates. But the only real solution is full repeal of Obamacare…]

https://www.askheritage.org/how-much-will-oba...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 9 min Laissez Faire Club 2,271
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min loose cannon 178,063
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr dirtclod 55,910
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 46,679
A California Without Illegal ImmigrantsBy Ruben... 7 hr Commander Bunny 5
Bayonets, grenade launchers given to local law ... 9 hr Johnnie C 137
California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 9 hr zhuzhamm 5,079
•••

California People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••