Lesbian couple in gay marriage case p...

Lesbian couple in gay marriage case prepares for Supreme Court decision

There are 1581 comments on the Fox News story from Mar 24, 2013, titled Lesbian couple in gay marriage case prepares for Supreme Court decision. In it, Fox News reports that:

Big change is coming to the lives of the lesbian couple at the center of the fight for same-sex marriage in California no matter how the Supreme Court decides their case.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox News.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#1400 May 15, 2013
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pa...

Polygamy and DOMA
BY MARK GOLDFEDER
PUBLISHED: MAY 11, 2013 01:01AM
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2013 01:01AM

While the Supreme Court ponders the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, activists along the political spectrum are voicing their opinions on monogamy’s core institution and whom it should include. Most miss the following point: DOMA doesn’t just prohibit gay marriage by defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. It also prohibits plural marriage by limiting it to one and one.

The plural marriage movement is real. An estimated 50,000 to 150,000 polygamous families already live in America, from the well-publicized Muslims and Mormons to the African and Vietnamese immigrants keeping up their cultural ways. From modern feminists looking for a better work/life balance, to family traditionalists, who maintain that any marriage is better than none in the fight against the rising tide of single parents, cohabitation, and divorce.

Over 500,000 others identify as polyamorous, and engage in “ethical non-monogamy”— loving, committed, concurrent, consensual relationships with multiple partners.

The push for non-monogamous marriage reveals some unexpected bedfellows: Everyone from former presidents to the remarried elderly couple next door. Experts say that 30 to 60 percent of married people in the U.S. will commit adultery over the course of their ‘exclusive, dyadic relationships,’ producing a form of de facto polygamy. Thousands of others will actually marry a second, sometimes even a third person, albeit after a legal divorce from their original spouse.

The rise of no-fault divorce has made “polygamy on the installment plan” more and more common for adults of all ages. Whether it’s de facto polygamy in the form of adultery, or serial polygamy with no-fault divorce, we as Americans have already broken the sanctity of the “couple.”

While some believe that plural marriage could lead to harm against women, regulation would protect them. And what about egalitarian polygamy, based on adult consent? Is it inherently abusive? Or more abusive than many “traditional” marriages based on patriarchal domination?

If the concern were third-party harms against children, why would these kids be any different than the thousands who already grow up with more than two parents in their lives? Forget stepparents, open-adoptions, extended familial networks, and other “classic” multi-parental settings. In cases of egg donors and surrogate mothers, courts have ruled that children can have three natural parents. Maybe more is even better; recent studies indicate that children in polyamorous households benefit from increased attention and diversity of role models.

Those who would argue against plural marriage have their work cut out for them. The Bible records at least 40 instances of the practice. Confucianism, Islam, Hinduism, and some forms of Mormonism also support it. While Catholicism bans it, other forms of Christianity are somewhat less opposed.

Plural marriage is legal in more than 150 countries, with an estimated 2 billion practitioners and 3 billion supporters. Anthropologists believe that it was the norm through most of human history, until the sixth century Christian influence of the Roman Emperor Justinian. As a North American value, plural marriage is older than monogamy. According to one study of Native American tribes, a full 84 percent of them practiced it.

Natural law arguments also fail. Biologists lately have discovered that in the animal kingdom, there is almost no such thing as monogamy.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1401 May 15, 2013
KiMare wrote:
1. A slanderous troll response.
How so? Since you obviously consider gay supportive or affirming Christian churches "heretical", I merely inquired if that was the reason you left your UCC ministry - because you disagreed with their denominational affirmation of gays.
KiMare wrote:
2. You confuse risk with inherent harm, unhealthiness and demeaning behavior.
And yet the link you cited discussed "health risks" and how to "increase safety". No where did it use the words "inherent harm".
KiMare wrote:
You are only exposing your bigotry and ignorance.
Smile.
No, you're only reaffirming your propensity to jump to unwarranted conclusions and mischaracterize the material contained in the links you cite.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#1402 May 15, 2013
Nobody wrote:
To marry in Gods eyes is a man and a woman.
The definition of gay is- happy. To have sex with the same gender is a sin, just like telling a lie or murder.
Sweetie, you may not realize this, but you aren't God and despite your absolute certainty that you and He are on the same wavelength, it's still His call and not yours as to who is not blessed in marriage in His eyes. There are many Christian Churches that are more than happy to extend God's blessings to same sex couples in marriage. I realize that they may not be your kind of Christian Church, but hon, you only have a prayer that they aren't God's kind of Christian Church.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#1403 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
How so? Since you obviously consider gay supportive or affirming Christian churches "heretical", I merely inquired if that was the reason you left your UCC ministry - because you disagreed with their denominational affirmation of gays.
<quoted text>
And yet the link you cited discussed "health risks" and how to "increase safety". No where did it use the words "inherent harm".
<quoted text>
No, you're only reaffirming your propensity to jump to unwarranted conclusions and mischaracterize the material contained in the links you cite.
1. The Big Island district of the UCC rejected 'open and affirming' while I was there. If you understand UCC, you would know that individual Churches maintain doctrinal independence. The congregation I pastored for twenty years maintained the historical roots of Christianity and the Congregational (Puritan) roots.

2. Here is the first sentence of the article; "Anal sex has a number of health risks. Anal intercourse is the riskiest form of sexual activity for several reasons, including the following:"

'Inherent harm' is simply a logical conclusion if you understand physical design. I can post more specific info it you need it...

3. There is no unwarranted conclusions or misrepresentation by me. There is only continued denial and deceit by you.

Smile.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#1404 May 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The Big Island district of the UCC rejected 'open and affirming' while I was there. If you understand UCC, you would know that individual Churches maintain doctrinal independence. The congregation I pastored for twenty years maintained the historical roots of Christianity and the Congregational (Puritan) roots.
2. Here is the first sentence of the article; "Anal sex has a number of health risks. Anal intercourse is the riskiest form of sexual activity for several reasons, including the following:"
'Inherent harm' is simply a logical conclusion if you understand physical design. I can post more specific info it you need it...
3. There is no unwarranted conclusions or misrepresentation by me. There is only continued denial and deceit by you.
Smile.
Your belief that OnA Churches don't follow the historical roots of Christianity and the Congregational (Puritan) roots is strictly your opinion. Congregational Church history did not address homosexuality.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1405 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Really And yet Leviticus doesn't even contain the word "homosexuality". Unless your using a faulty translation.
Let's see...man lying with man, and their womankind also...yeah, that's homosexuality alright.....the word isn't necessary....
I don't consider Catholic or Protestant bibles to be scripture at all. Except to the extent they include the Hebrew Tanahk.
...and I don't consider what you consider to be relevant.....
Really? Then I guess the constitutional right of freedom of religion and laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of religions don't apply to you or anyone calling themselves a "Christian".
It's still the same lie everytime you post it...

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1406 May 16, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Your belief that OnA Churches don't follow the historical roots of Christianity and the Congregational (Puritan) roots is strictly your opinion. Congregational Church history did not address homosexuality.
Ummmmm, yes it does...and has for thousands of years now....

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1407 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be your faulty inference and not what I said. Again, you neither like nor understand the answers you've been given. Torah law was given to Jews, not Gentiles. I'm not Jewish. Further, I find it not only amusing but hypocritical how you expect others to follow Torah when you yourself don't follow all 613 mitzvot. Better go see an optometrist about that log in your eye....
What does the Torah say about lying with beasts???

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1408 May 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The Big Island district of the UCC rejected 'open and affirming' while I was there. If you understand UCC, you would know that individual Churches maintain doctrinal independence. The congregation I pastored for twenty years maintained the historical roots of Christianity and the Congregational (Puritan) roots.
Yes, I had read that individual UCC churches were allowed doctrinal independence. That's why I referred to it as the "denominational" affirming policy towards gays. And as I didn't know what your local Hawaii congregation had decided, I inquired whether it played a role in your decision to leave that ministry.
KiMare wrote:
2. Here is the first sentence of the article; "Anal sex has a number of health risks. Anal intercourse is the riskiest form of sexual activity for several reasons, including the following:"
'Inherent harm' is simply a logical conclusion if you understand physical design. I can post more specific info it you need it...
That many people repeatedly engage in anal intercourse without harm refutes your subjective characterization of the practice as "inherently" harmful. Your cited article asserts the practice is inherently risky (with which I would agree).

Perhaps if you understood the definition of "inherent", you wouldn't be confused:

in·her·ent
adjective

existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute:

link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inhere...

Since harm isn't a result of anal intercourse for ALL participants, it's not an "inseparable element, quality or attribute" of anal intercourse.
KiMare wrote:
3. There is no unwarranted conclusions or misrepresentation by me. There is only continued denial and deceit by you.
Smile.
On the contrary, your characterization of my question as a "slanderous troll response" was an unwarranted conclusion and your mischaracterization of anal sex as "inherently harmful" was your personal subjective judgment, not a conclusion of the link you provided.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1409 May 16, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see...man lying with man, and their womankind also...yeah, that's homosexuality alright.....the word isn't necessary....
On the contrary, it could be bisexuality. It could also be a heterosexual that "experimenting". There's a difference between acts/behavior and sexual orientation whether you accept that fact or not.
Get That Fool wrote:
...and I don't consider what you consider to be relevant.....[QUOTE]
Which doesn't change the fact you worship a false messiah per Hebrew scripture.

[QUOTE who="Get That Fool"]
It's still the same lie everytime you post it...
You were the one who asserted "Christianity" isn't a religion. Are you saying you lied (again)?

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1410 May 16, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the Torah say about lying with beasts???
What does Torah say about lying? What does Torah say about the uncleanness of menstruating women? What do the 46 mitvot say about idolatry, idolaters and idolatrous practices? Do you abide by all 613 mitzvot of Torah or do you just cherry pick certain ones to use to condemn others?

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1411 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contrary, it could be bisexuality. It could also be a heterosexual that "experimenting". There's a difference between acts/behavior and sexual orientation whether you accept that fact or not.
Not to GOD it's not....man's made-up words don't apply....
You were the one who asserted "Christianity" isn't a religion. Are you saying you lied (again)?
If I thought for one second you were able to grasp the concept, I'd try to explain that to you...but as it is.......

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1412 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
What does Torah say about lying? What does Torah say about the uncleanness of menstruating women? What do the 46 mitvot say about idolatry, idolaters and idolatrous practices? Do you abide by all 613 mitzvot of Torah or do you just cherry pick certain ones to use to condemn others?
You didn't answer the question.....

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1413 May 16, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
Not to GOD it's not....man's made-up words don't apply....
The bible is written in man's "made up words", cupcake. Or are you asserting the Jews had no written or spoken language before God made them His chosen people?
Get That Fool wrote:
If I thought for one second you were able to grasp the concept, I'd try to explain that to you...but as it is.......
But as it is, you're incapable of rational thought. I understand.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1414 May 16, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer the question.....
On the contrary; you just didn't like my answer.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1415 May 16, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetie, you may not realize this, but you aren't God and despite your absolute certainty that you and He are on the same wavelength, it's still His call and not yours as to who is not blessed in marriage in His eyes. There are many Christian Churches that are more than happy to extend God's blessings to same sex couples in marriage. I realize that they may not be your kind of Christian Church, but hon, you only have a prayer that they aren't God's kind of Christian Church.
Clearly the Bible teaches that God accepts gay marriage and homosexuality. Jesus guarentees this:

JESUS: Matt. 18:19-20,[GW] "I can guarantee again that if two of you agree on anything here on earth, my Father in heaven will accept it.

And God even says there is a time for homosexuality and a season for sodomy.

GodTheBible: Ecclesiastes 3:1, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:"

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1416 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
You were the one who asserted "Christianity" isn't a religion.
Christianity is a crime against humanity.

JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1417 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is written in man's "made up words", cupcake. Or are you asserting the Jews had no written or spoken language before God made them His chosen people?
I love how you come up with 'useless' points to challenge me on....
The Bible was written well before our made up 'sexualities' were even thought of....it doesn't matter what 'we' call it...it's still man lying w/ man, and womankind lying w/ womankind...the word 'homosexuality' doesn't need to be spelled out for your...are you insane???

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#1418 May 16, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you come up with 'useless' points to challenge me on....
The Bible was written well before our made up 'sexualities' were even thought of....it doesn't matter what 'we' call it..
Words matter, FOOL. We have far more words in the English language than existed in ancient Hebrew. And some words of ancient Hebrew had multiple meanings based on context. We know lot of things today that were unknown to humans 3000 years ago, including the knowledge of sexual orientation. Only stupid people like you think differently.
Get That Fool wrote:
it's still man lying w/ man
As with a woman. That's an important distinction for some people's argument as well.
Get That Fool wrote:
and womankind lying w/ womankind...
Hebrew scripture makes no mention of that at all.
Get That Fool wrote:
the word 'homosexuality' doesn't need to be spelled out for your...are you insane???
Nope. Just more knowledgeable of the fact there is no universally acknowledged interpretation of the bible in general, much less your favorite Levitical condemnation verses. And as I am neither Jewish nor Christian but simply Gentile, neither Torah nor the Christian new testament applies to me anyway. But your false messiah and idol worship is a clear violation of God's commandments in Hebrew scripture, for which you will be judged by God accordingly.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#1419 May 16, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Words matter, FOOL. We have far more words in the English language than existed in ancient Hebrew. And some words of ancient Hebrew had multiple meanings based on context. We know lot of things today that were unknown to humans 3000 years ago, including the knowledge of sexual orientation. Only stupid people like you think differently.
There is only one way to interpret man lying w/ man...just as there is only one way to interpret man/woman lying with a beast...regardless of what you want to call it...
As with a woman. That's an important distinction for some people's argument as well.
LOL! Oh wow! How would a man lie with a man as he would a woman??? I know....SEXUALLY!!! Interpretation cleared up.....
Nope. Just more knowledgeable of the fact there is no universally acknowledged interpretation of the bible in general, much less your favorite Levitical condemnation verses. And as I am neither Jewish nor Christian but simply Gentile, neither Torah nor the Christian new testament applies to me anyway. But your false messiah and idol worship is a clear violation of God's commandments in Hebrew scripture, for which you will be judged by God accordingly.
I don't need a 'universal' interpretation...I'm perfectly capable of reading and interpreting it for what it says.....I'm not trying to change it....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 min Into The Night 63,422
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Mythical Creatures 237,977
News California raises smoking age to 21, tightens v... (May '16) Mon Say What 56
News California lawmakers eye statewide immigration ... Sun Oklady 13
Election Who are you voting for in the California Govern... (Oct '14) Feb 24 Well Well 15
News Parents, care providers criticize Inland Region... (Sep '10) Feb 24 katy88 23
News California lawmakers eye statewide immigration ... Feb 22 Battle Tested 97
More from around the web