Female inmates sterilized in Californ...

Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval

There are 7 comments on the The Modesto Bee story from Jul 7, 2013, titled Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval. In it, The Modesto Bee reports that:

Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilized nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without required state approvals, the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Modesto Bee.

West Coast Dave

Portland, OR

#1 Jul 7, 2013
No one should be having children anyway, anywhere ever: VHEMT.ORG
New York Mic

Crouse, NC

#2 Jul 7, 2013
People that go to jail do not need children, good job
Serrano Red

United States

#3 Jul 7, 2013
i am glad they did it come down here and do the illegals
Jake Johnson

Champaign, IL

#4 Jul 7, 2013
All women on welfare should be required to be on contraceptives. Where are the rights of the people who are responsible and work but have at least 1/3 of their money taken in taxes to pay for these irresponsible women many of whom are unfit to raise a child. If something isn't done with rewarding people who are unfit to raise children from having more there won't be enough responsible people to pay for their irresponsibility. If you're on welfare you should be on contraceptives. You should also have to work or go to school or go into the service. Its ridiculous responsible people have to pay for lazy irresponsible people. The cycle has to end.
Nanci P

Fortuna, CA

#5 Jul 12, 2013
Obviously the above commenters are incredibly ignorant. They obviously have never had anyone in "the system" Not everyone in jails/prisons are irresponsible...have you ever made a mistake and just didn't get caught? Have you ever driven under the influence and just didn't get caught? And, on the list goes. No women in the United States should be sterilized under any condition other than with a voluntary consent, signed and understood. This is like going back to WWII where people were sterilized because of their religion, or people were sterilized because of a mental handicap. No this is so wrong, and the physicians should be held accountable, fined, and/or their licenses taken away. Inmates, ALL inmates are human beings...why don't we hear about any male inmates being sterilized? It takes two to tango...You don't live in a female occupied prison and just "get" pregnant, how dare y'all think this is for the better good of society. Shame on all of you. I was an inmate there, fortunately I am out and have turned my whole life around; recovery is possible, I work and am buying a house, I pay taxes and am not on welfare or food stamps...Although I'm over the child-bearing age, I disagree that inmates are any less human and should be sterilized to make someone else happy, only if they want it and sign the consent.
ted

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Aug 3, 2013
alot of these woman are young and will turn there lives around, given a chance.... insane to read these ignorant comments.... this sounds like some third wourd country we are talking about......
Ginger

Hemet, CA

#7 Aug 10, 2013
Nanci P wrote:
Obviously the above commenters are incredibly ignorant. They obviously have never had anyone in "the system" Not everyone in jails/prisons are irresponsible...have you ever made a mistake and just didn't get caught? Have you ever driven under the influence and just didn't get caught? And, on the list goes. No women in the United States should be sterilized under any condition other than with a voluntary consent, signed and understood. This is like going back to WWII where people were sterilized because of their religion, or people were sterilized because of a mental handicap. No this is so wrong, and the physicians should be held accountable, fined, and/or their licenses taken away. Inmates, ALL inmates are human beings...why don't we hear about any male inmates being sterilized? It takes two to tango...You don't live in a female occupied prison and just "get" pregnant, how dare y'all think this is for the better good of society. Shame on all of you. I was an inmate there, fortunately I am out and have turned my whole life around; recovery is possible, I work and am buying a house, I pay taxes and am not on welfare or food stamps...Although I'm over the child-bearing age, I disagree that inmates are any less human and should be sterilized to make someone else happy, only if they want it and sign the consent.
Dear hug-a-thug Nanci,
Obviously you have a child or a family member in the pen. Maybe even one of those romantic, jailbird, pen pal husband? Or maybe in your distant youth you were a tree hugging hippie? Regardless, responsible pet owners spay or neuter their dogs because they don't want the burden of taking care of puppies and the shelter is too full of dogs already. These women don't understand responsibility. Otherwise, why would they be locked up? So many of us taxpayers have to take care of them. And that includes making sure they don't have anymore children that they cannot take care of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump calls unauthorized immigrants 'ani... 49 min CodeTalker 195
News Essential California: Who will be L.A.'s next p... 3 hr LAHispanicPoliceC... 25
News California's wildfire reality needs this new plan 7 hr ChrisM 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 hr loose cannon 243,468
News California's illegal immigration fight is back,... 17 hr The Worlds Bigges... 10
Election Who are you voting for in the California Govern... (Oct '14) Sun Well Well 31
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Sun FARTS DOG 64,672