Report: State Tobacco Prevention Fund...

Report: State Tobacco Prevention Funding Lacking

There are 63 comments on the EDGE story from May 25, 2012, titled Report: State Tobacco Prevention Funding Lacking. In it, EDGE reports that:

States have spent only about 3 percent of the billions they've received in tobacco taxes and legal settlements over the last decade to fund tobacco prevention programs, making it harder to reduce the death and disease caused by tobacco use, according to a report released Thursday by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jerry

Avon, OH

#1 May 25, 2012
Big deal!! Smokers know it is bad for them. When you read about a person on oxygen that is smoking and blows themselves up, OH WELL!!! They knew better but did not care. Just thinning the herd.
ItsAFact

Frederick, MD

#2 May 25, 2012
If it was just thinning the turd it would be all about Jerry.
Ronald

Bellflower, CA

#3 May 25, 2012
Jerry wrote:
Big deal!! Smokers know it is bad for them. When you read about a person on oxygen that is smoking and blows themselves up, OH WELL!!! They knew better but did not care. Just thinning the herd.
Jerry.

Actually, there has never been any credible evidence presented to show that, on balance, tobacco use is "bad" for the user. Tobacco taxation, though, is a way for free-spending out-of-control California politicians to satisfy their addiction to ever increasing tax money. One could rightly identify tobacco as an "entry drug" that those corrupt politicians use to inflict heavy tax burdens on the ordinary worker *("middle")* class minority of Californians who pay taxes into areas that are entirely unrelated to tobacco.

Ronald
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#5 May 26, 2012
Ronald, actually, there has never been any credible evidence of your sanity.
Ronald

Bellflower, CA

#7 Jun 1, 2012
Smokin Maims Kills wrote:
Who said taxes are to be used for smoking prevention? Let these smokestacks pay more taxes than nonsmokers. If they are dumb enough to smoke they can be dumb enough to pay more taxes.
Smokin Maims Kills.

I agree. Few of us are without our little vices. For example, Government has just now begun the war to teach Americans to quit consuming sugar based foods and drinks, including soft drinks and donuts. Concurrent with that war, Government is busy teaching us to quit eating foods that have been seasoned with salt. Once Government imposes heavy taxes on sugar and salt containing foods, like tobacco, only "the rich" will be able to continue their Government decreed "unhealthy" lifestyle.

Another ongoing war is Government's war to get non-smokers out of their automobiles and onto their feet. This is a war in progress as we speak. By using Government economic policy and taxation to increase the price of gasoline, unhealthy non-smokers will be able to enjoy a more healthy "Government approved" lifestyle.

It is not hard to envision the fast approaching post-war years when rich Chinamen will be the only people able to afford to drive their automobiles on our streets. Perhaps it is poetic justice that these unhealthy Chinamen will be flicking ashes from expensive imported cigars into the faces of "healthy" non-smoking American walkers and bicyclists as they go by.

Incidentally, not "everyone knows" sugar and salt are unhealthy. After Government uses hard earned taxpayer money to flood the Government licensed electronic media with anti-sugar anti-salt propaganda ads, even the most skeptical will come around. Then everyone will "know".

Ronald
Cough Up A Lung

Winnipeg, Canada

#9 Jun 2, 2012
HowzBoutDat wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Lar Dass, STFU!
Very clever. How many hours did it take to think it up?

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10 Jun 2, 2012
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Smokin Maims Kills.
I agree. Few of us are without our little vices. For example, Government has just now begun the war to teach Americans to quit consuming sugar based foods and drinks, including soft drinks and donuts. Concurrent with that war, Government is busy teaching us to quit eating foods that have been seasoned with salt. Once Government imposes heavy taxes on sugar and salt containing foods, like tobacco, only "the rich" will be able to continue their Government decreed "unhealthy" lifestyle.
Another ongoing war is Government's war to get non-smokers out of their automobiles and onto their feet. This is a war in progress as we speak. By using Government economic policy and taxation to increase the price of gasoline, unhealthy non-smokers will be able to enjoy a more healthy "Government approved" lifestyle.
It is not hard to envision the fast approaching post-war years when rich Chinamen will be the only people able to afford to drive their automobiles on our streets. Perhaps it is poetic justice that these unhealthy Chinamen will be flicking ashes from expensive imported cigars into the faces of "healthy" non-smoking American walkers and bicyclists as they go by.
Incidentally, not "everyone knows" sugar and salt are unhealthy. After Government uses hard earned taxpayer money to flood the Government licensed electronic media with anti-sugar anti-salt propaganda ads, even the most skeptical will come around. Then everyone will "know".
Ronald
The school my children go to here in Mexico require that each student drink a half a liter of pedolite before each PE class or dance class....

Ya know pedolight that doctor recommended drink for infants and anyone that is dehydrated??

Pack full of salt and sugar..........ROTFLMAO
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#11 Jun 2, 2012
Smokin Maims Kills wrote:
Who said taxes are to be used for smoking prevention? Let these smokestacks pay more taxes than nonsmokers. If they are dumb enough to smoke they can be dumb enough to pay more taxes.
Actually, in the US, the CDC has RECOMMENDED the use of a certain minimum percentage of the MSA funds for smoking prevention programs. It is nothing more than their expressed (and educated) opinion on how much it is likely to cost to run such programs effectively. Logically, it would be good economics for the states to follow that recommendation, as when these programs were being funded the smoking rate was falling significantly. That, in turn, was destined to cause significant decreases in government expenditure for certain areas of health care.

The taxes are a different matter. In some cases, cigarette tax hikes are linked to earmarking a certain portion for funding smoking prevention programs. In other cases they are just feeding the general fund and the higher prices are expected to have a significant but unsupported effect on the smoking rate and associated health care costs.

In the case of the current tax being considered, I found this statement:

"Section 1-160. Distribution of receipts by the Department.

"All moneys received by the Department under this Act shall be deposited into the Healthcare Provider Relief Fund."

==========
I don't know what a "Healthcare Provider Relief Fund" is when it's brushed its teeth, but it sounds more like helping to cover repair/endurance of the damage than helping to prevent/reduce the damage in the first place.

Strangely, the bill cited in the article seems to deal with cigarette-making machines and their output. There is an extremely long rendering of how those are to be regulated and taxed and how the government will go about doing something if you violate the law.

While looking for something about the use of the revenue, I found that the law will close the loophole tobacco companies and vendors with such machines have been using for years. It will be against the law to use products labeled and marketed as anything BUT rolling tobacco in these machines. So, if one of the companies opted to dodge the higher rate of federal taxation by marketing, say, Bugler as "pipe tobacco", and the owners of a shop with a rolling machine has been selling their customers products labeled and taxed as "pipe tobacco" for use in the machines, they will lose that advantage in Illinois.
That part, at least, shows intelligence and awareness.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#12 Jun 2, 2012
Ah, yes, here is a link to the bill itself:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/97/SB/PDF/097...
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#13 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
The school my children go to here in Mexico require that each student drink a half a liter of pedolite before each PE class or dance class....
Ya know pedolight that doctor recommended drink for infants and anyone that is dehydrated??
Pack full of salt and sugar..........ROTFLMAO
Electrolites and carbohydrates--ensuring that what the child burns and sweats out is replenished. What is it nutritionists say? There is something about having to have carbohydrates to burn fat.

I would question more what the sugar is doing to their teeth.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#14 Jun 2, 2012
Cough Up A Lung wrote:
<quoted text>
Very clever. How many hours did it take to think it up?
And, more importantly, how many assistants did he have to hire?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#15 Jun 2, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
Ah, yes, here is a link to the bill itself:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/97/SB/PDF/097...
Sorry, folks. Wrong thread. This above and the previous post should have gone to the thread on the proposed tax hike in Illinois.

Their content is relevant to the question I was responding to, but not as specifically relevant as it would be in the other thread and I presented it as if it were in the other thread. Sorry for any(one else's) confusion.
Ronald

Bellflower, CA

#16 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
The school my children go to here in Mexico require that each student drink a half a liter of pedolite before each PE class or dance class....
Ya know pedolight that doctor recommended drink for infants and anyone that is dehydrated??
Pack full of salt and sugar..........ROTFLMAO
Here Is One.

Food and health fads have been part of American popular culture ever since before the first revolution. Because most of those fads were short-lived, they usually did little damage. Now that Government has got in on the act, no one knows how much damage will be done.

Ronald

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#17 Jun 2, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>Electrolites and carbohydrates--ensuring that what the child burns and sweats out is replenished. What is it nutritionists say? There is something about having to have carbohydrates to burn fat.

I would question more what the sugar is doing to their teeth.
we live in the tropics and electrolytes are very important

Yes the sugar is not good

My point was that a body needs salt and carbs and we don't need the government telling us what to eat

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#18 Jun 2, 2012
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>Here Is One.

Food and health fads have been part of American popular culture ever since before the first revolution. Because most of those fads were short-lived, they usually did little damage. Now that Government has got in on the act, no one knows how much damage will be done.

Ronald
correct and my point is we don't need the government telling us what to eat

They are forcing GMO foods on us and banning raw dairy products

The stupid people will still be stupid no matter what the government bans
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#19 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
The school my children go to here in Mexico require that each student drink a half a liter of pedolite before each PE class or dance class....
Ya know pedolight that doctor recommended drink for infants and anyone that is dehydrated??
Pack full of salt and sugar..........ROTFLMAO
I got actively curious because of your post. I learned that Pedialyte has only half as much sugar as does Gatorade, but more calcium and potassium.

I also looked at the histories offered for both products. Gatorade was purportedly developed after brief research begun in '65 in Florida at a research university. Abbott Labs says Pedialyte went on the market in '66. Curiously close chronology there. I know from someone at the university that there is a lot of disgust and bad feeling over the failure to patent the concoction before Pepsi Cola got it's hooks in.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#20 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
correct and my point is we don't need the government telling us what to eat
They are forcing GMO foods on us and banning raw dairy products
The stupid people will still be stupid no matter what the government bans
Mental processes are impacted by electrolyte imbalances.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#21 Jun 2, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>I got actively curious because of your post. I learned that Pedialyte has only half as much sugar as does Gatorade, but more calcium and potassium.

I also looked at the histories offered for both products. Gatorade was purportedly developed after brief research begun in '65 in Florida at a research university. Abbott Labs says Pedialyte went on the market in '66. Curiously close chronology there. I know from someone at the university that there is a lot of disgust and bad feeling over the failure to patent the concoction before Pepsi Cola got it's hooks in.
yes it is a far better choice but look at the sodium content..........LOL

But we have a very high sodium diet here but it is the tropics and you need it

But we don't need some moron from the government telling us what we can and can't eat

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#22 Jun 2, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>Mental processes are impacted by electrolyte imbalances.
have you ever had a heat stroke??
People die from them

Have you ever heard of water toxicity???
You can die from drinking too much water with out enough salts
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#23 Jun 2, 2012
In pedialyte, the sugars used are selected to minimize bad effects on diarrhea patients. I don't really understand the differences, but have read that this is so.
In the school, I wonder whether all or even most children would be receiving the benefits of the electrolytes and carbohydrates if their consumption were NOT mandatory? I wonder how many health problems would arise from the exercising without the replenishment, and I wonder how many more children would be discouraged from physical activity if they suffered from the lack of replenishment?

Whatever the answer to that problem, carbohydrates and sodium are nutrients, and each is, to some degree, essential for health. The fact that each can do fairly severe harm to health if over-consumed is ignored by manufacturers who only care that increased amounts of these nutrients make products seem more desirable. It is also something Ronald is implying is not fact but government-conspiracy-generate d belief. That is because he needs to be able to pretend that tobacco (#1 preventable cause of death,#1 source of litter worldwide,#1 source of significant radiation in the US,#1 cause of apartment fires that cause death, etc) is just like those nutrients.

We live in a time when food is more readily available to the masses in quantity than ever before, and with less effort than ever before. Our tastes are geared to keep us looking for adequate carbs and sodium in a world where we would have to work harder to obtain them and excess would be less of a problem.

I'm not entirely certain I think it is a bad thing if some restrictions are put on corporations that seek to exploit that imbalance by marketing excess. The "free market" approach will lead inevitably to overindulgence in our current environment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Essential California: Who will be L.A.'s next p... 23 min Brand X 28
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr loose cannon 243,469
News Donald Trump calls unauthorized immigrants 'ani... 12 hr davy 239
News California's 'Pot Desert' Problem 23 hr Smoke 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Tue BOZO FARTS 64,675
News California's wildfire reality needs this new plan Mon ChrisM 1
News California's illegal immigration fight is back,... Mon The Worlds Bigges... 10