Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63930 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#44347 Mar 16, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>

Environmentalism is, by its own admission, a campaign against the public and our historic desire for more things and freedom. George Monbiot has stated this baldly. Environmentalism is “a campaign not for abundance but for austerity”, he says.“It is a campaign not for more freedom but for less… it is a campaign not just against other people, but against ourselves.” And that is precisely how most people experience environmentalism – as an extraordinarily elitist drive to reprimand and possibly even punish the people for daring to want more; as a top-down, hectoring effort to make us acclimatise to austerity and give up on that age-old dream of a “great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume”(Sylvia Pankhurst). If environmentalism is a “campaign against people”, then it makes perfect sense that the people bristle at it, even hate it and deny its “truths”.(source)
http://australianclimatemadness.com/2014/03/1...
Freedom to trash our environment, freedom to consume more of the Earth's finite resources before our grandchildren, freedom so the few can profit at the cost of the many.

The campaign is a better life for us and our grandchildren, not selfish over consumption for our own personal greed and power. It seems that the deniers are in denial. But any good conservative must be against something. What else do they have working for themselves?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44348 Mar 16, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom to trash our environment, freedom to consume more of the Earth's finite resources before our grandchildren, freedom so the few can profit at the cost of the many.
The campaign is a better life for us and our grandchildren, not selfish over consumption for our own personal greed and power. It seems that the deniers are in denial. But any good conservative must be against something. What else do they have working for themselves?
Gee... and who decides how much is "enough"?

You can't argue it's "science", since it itself makes no judgements. Those come from people... whom you believe already have too much. But does that include the warmists and their "science"? All those billion upon billions spent... is that not "enough"? Especially as you argue, it's already "settled".

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44350 Mar 16, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee... and who decides how much is "enough"?
You can't argue it's "science", since it itself makes no judgements. Those come from people... whom you believe already have too much. But does that include the warmists and their "science"? All those billion upon billions spent... is that not "enough"? Especially as you argue, it's already "settled".
It's an easy equation to work out, if the world population consumed the earth resources in a way the average American lives or someone like Mothballs. We would need 5 planets to survive.
One of the big movements in China right now is trying to avoid just that, because the more they emulate the bad habits of the west with resources consumption the worse off all of us are.

http://juccce.org/chinadream

Location hidden

#44351 Mar 16, 2014
And some more news to brighten your day, especially deniers who would rather see Rome burn than admit they see smoke.

From NASA study:
Modern civilisation is heading for collapse within a matter of decades because of growing economic instability and pressure on the planet’s resources, according to a scientific study funded by Nasa.

Using theoretical models to predict what will happen to the industrialised world over the course of the next century or so, mathematicians found that even with conservative estimates things started to go very badly, very quickly. Referring to the past collapses of often very sophisticated civilisations – the Roman, Han and Gupta Empires for example – the study noted that the elite of society have often pushed for a “business as usual” approach to warnings of disaster until it is too late.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nas...
DDD1-25

Corona, CA

#44352 Mar 16, 2014
Professor Emeritus Fellow wrote:
BETWEEN 1998 and 2013, the Earth’s surface temperature rose at a rate of 0.04°C a decade, far slower than the 0.18°C increase in the 1990s. Meanwhile, emissions of carbon dioxide (which would be expected to push temperatures up) rose uninterruptedly. This pause in warming has raised doubts in the public mind about climate change. A few sceptics say flatly that global warming has stopped. Others argue that scientists’ understanding of the climate is so flawed that their judgments about it cannot be accepted with any confidence. A convincing explanation of the pause therefore matters both to a proper understanding of the climate and to the credibility of climate science—and papers published over the past few weeks do their best to provide one. Indeed, they do almost too good a job. If all were correct, the pause would now be explained twice over.
OK Mr. Emeritis Fellow. I believe you really, really believe. Ok! Head on. But here are some real, truthful and actual facts for you. First, your main man has been proven to be a major fraud, by the public exposure of his own e-mails. If he is so bright, why doesn't he understand that there is no such thing as security on the web? He seems about as bright as a 2 watt light bulb to me. Next, the genius personnel that now occupy the halls of gov't for the last five years have driven the nation into spectacular, stellar, epic debt. There is no money for any more end of the world propaganda..... and the electorate is going to decimate the dem party in the next election, and the tea party will have the likes of you in first place on their target list. no more $$$ for morons.(!)... All this climate change propaganda is really about trying to pass as much tax "enhancement" legislation as is possible. Simple as that, and people are wise to you. You are a political operative, and you don't care about the future of the planet, just how much money you can garb. The tax proposals of all you morons will effect those who can afford it the least far more than those at the top . But YOU don't care, do you?
And as for the future of the earth and the human race, there is none. Humans will never escape to another world,(Einstein), and even worse for all of us the star (our sun) will one day expand into a red giant. At that time it will CONSUME first mercury, then venus, Then the earth. So the future of everything is consumption as nuclear fuel. Cool, Huh? It means all that we are, all that we were, etc, etc... will for all practical purposes never even have existed. No legacy for all you super heroes !! So you may as well find something truly meaningful to do with your life, because as it stands now , when your time comes, and the last shovel of dirt falls on your grave, nobody is ever gonna mention your name again. HeHeHe!!!!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44355 Mar 16, 2014
The good news is that we still have time to avoid a catastrophic outcome. The more emissions reductions we can achieve, the less the impacts of climate change will be. The challenge lies in achieving those greenhouse gas emissions reductions when Rupert Murdoch's media empire and other news outlets are spreading climate misinformation and denial.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climat...
DDD1-25

Corona, CA

#44356 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>as an 'enlightened' alarmist.......what do you suggest should happen???
Nothing should happen. the both of you should read my post like 3 - posts previous to this one. Benefit from the reality and get a life.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44358 Mar 16, 2014
DDD1-25 wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

Nothing should happen. the both of you should read my post like 3 - posts previous to this one. Benefit from the reality and get a life.
You are a gross denier.

You addressed above a poster, who's known to be a gross light-weight, intellectually speaking. Good luck, when you receive a reply. hehehehehe

Location hidden

#44359 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>as an 'enlightened' alarmist.......what do you suggest should happen???
Well as an enlightened denalist, you will always pursue a “business as usual” approach.
That is the whole point of the study, we either change our lifestyle or we perish.
It can't be any blunter than that so get rid of that big truck and put some solar panels on your roof. That's a good start.

Location hidden

#44360 Mar 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
The good news is that we still have time to avoid a catastrophic outcome. The more emissions reductions we can achieve, the less the impacts of climate change will be. The challenge lies in achieving those greenhouse gas emissions reductions when Rupert Murdoch's media empire and other news outlets are spreading climate misinformation and denial.
Murdoch media is a disgrace, an insult to anyone with half a brain. It is media designed and marketed to appeal to the ignorant. He should be working for Nth Korea than based in the West.

Location hidden

#44361 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>if you're concerned about future generations so much why don't you parrot this to your elected officials who seem hellbent on saddling them with debt they'll never be able to pay?
government spending seems to be an "infinite resource" in your mind. why the double standard,son?
That is exactly what we are doing. The debt is in resources and pollution. Oh, I suppose you are referring to the man made debt of money. LOL

Location hidden

#44362 Mar 16, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Murdoch media is a disgrace, an insult to anyone with half a brain. It is media designed and marketed to appeal to the ignorant. He should be working for Nth Korea than based in the West.
Amen. However, expand market appeal to also cover the prejudiced and the fanatical.
truth facts

Mount Orab, OH

#44365 Mar 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Maybe when clowns like Kerry/Gore/Obozo/Biden stop flying around the world and take advantage of something called a phone and spreading their lies and their doom and gloom propaganda then maybe people like me might take it a little more seriously.How much could they have helped the environment if they were not flying every where they go?The numerous vacations flying every where.
They need to practice what they preach.
Where is the outrage from you trolls,I hear nothing but crickets.Start demanding that the clowns ride bicycles.Just imagine how they could help the environment.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44366 Mar 16, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe when clowns like Kerry/Gore/Obozo/Biden stop flying around the world and take advantage of something called a phone and spreading their lies and their doom and gloom propaganda then maybe people like me might take it a little more seriously.How much could they have helped the environment if they were not flying every where they go?The numerous vacations flying every where.
Where is the outrage from you trolls,I hear nothing but crickets.Start demanding that the clowns ride bicycles.Just imagine how they could help the environment.
Hey don't you read my posts, troll?
DDD-25

Corona, CA

#44367 Mar 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are a gross denier.
You addressed above a poster, who's known to be a gross light-weight, intellectually speaking. Good luck, when you receive a reply. hehehehehe
Seems to me that it is you that is the REAL gross denier. You are part of a brainwashed cult with a bogus "science" and fraudulent leaders who will tell any lie and do anything to wind up sitting out your pathetic lives on the taxpayers dime, hurting the poorest amongst us more than any other group. Your "leaders" have been exposed as massive frauds. They should be in prison or perhaps in a more advanced nation like China or Iran, at the end of a rope. If you are more capable that the "light weight", You're not showing it to me. And if you dislike my description of the certain end, then ask any physicist. He/she will set you straight. It is obvious to anybody with an IQ greater than their shoe size you are wasting your life. Get a grip!! YOU will have NO legacy. Neither will anyone else. Better live for the moment instead of dreaming up ways to put a financial burden on the backs of the poor, even if they are ignorant. Mommy! Mommy! he isn't impressed with my intellectual prowess !!! WAAAA! WAAAA! He's one of those denier people that prefers reality! Save me Mommy!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44368 Mar 16, 2014
http://geopolitics.knoji.com/how-to-slow-glob...

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #1

The Nature Conservancy suggests using a bicycle or walking instead of using the car. This cuts down on the amount of fossil fuels used. The environment is protected from harmful emissions by reducing the amount of carbon dioxide that is released into the atmosphere.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #2

Try your local farmer's market to purchase items that are produced or raised locally. This cuts down on transportation emissions. It also saves on driving far distances to purchase food.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #3

Recycle furniture and clothing and buy secondhand whenever possible. This saves the energy and electrical usage that goes into producing the items. Often, items in like-new condition or nearly new condition can be found in thrift shops, consignment stores or resale shops.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #4

Use your bicycle to generate electricity. This article shows you how to do just that. The energy that is created can either be used or stored. It is clean and environmentally friendly.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #5

Telecommute and reduce extra trips when possible. This saves on travel emissions. Telecommuting can also slow global climate change by reducing the energy needs of cooling or heating an office and powering extra equipment.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #6

Adjust the thermostat. Use a lower setting in the winter and a higher setting in the summer. Much of our electricity in the US is powered by fossil fuels. Getting to these fuels can be destructive to mountains and releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Additional emissions are released into the air through the transportation of the fossil fuels from the mining site to the processing location.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #7

Separate your trash. Recycle whatever items you can. Not only will you be reducing waste but you may have fewer trips to the curb on trash day. Some places will purchase your used metals, broken appliances, aluminum cans and hot water heaters. This may also put a few dollars into your pocket. Be sure to combine the trips to the recycle center to save on transportation pollution.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #8

Items that are turned off but still plugged in continue to use electricity. Unplug all appliances when not in use. The same goes for radios, television sets and any other electrical convenience.

Slow Global Climate Change Idea #9

Buy recycled items when possible. Common items include paper goods such as copy or printer paper, toilet paper, cardboard boxes, paper plates and other disposable items.
DDD-25

Corona, CA

#44369 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>you need to read, comprehend, and respond.....in that order, son.
I don't think you can comprehend just how certain my description of the end really is. It is as certain as it is that a star is a giant nuclear device. It is you that needs to read , and comprehend , Junior. I am not a denier. It is you, instead. And you are a fraud. Just like the rest of them. What I described is certain. What you describe is delusional and you have no real science to prove. Just fraudulent data from your chief scientific source.( This by his own words) Junior.
DDD-25

Corona, CA

#44370 Mar 16, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well as an enlightened denalist, you will always pursue a “business as usual” approach.
That is the whole point of the study, we either change our lifestyle or we perish.
It can't be any blunter than that so get rid of that big truck and put some solar panels on your roof. That's a good start.
I have bad news for you pal. No matter what may happen, good or bad, benevolent or malevelant, YOU yes YOU are going to perish. and so is everyone else. Read a good description of life. It includes the inescapable end . Yes, You too... the end.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44371 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>well this 'denalist', enlightened or not, believes change in itself can be either good or bad.
you claim, "we must change or perish". we will all die someday.....so will the planet.
you people demand changing, but can never give a straight answer on what changing is going to accomplish.
environmental changes and improvements are made all the time. don't sweat it. man will adapt.
the free market will do a better job of continuing this far better than government.
how do you know i don't have any solar panels already? how do you know what i drive?
two words.....YOU DON'T!
why do you think you know what the optimum climate for the planet should be?
again...YOU DON'T!!
As I've pointed out to Oz... he makes gross assumptions that because you contest the "settled science" you must be 1) a rampant polluter, 2) unwilling to make any lifestyle changes to conserve energy, and 3) believer that the ultimate tiny government model of extreme libertarians is exactly what you want.

He can prove none of his assertions about you (or me), but will continue to spew them as if they are indeed fact.

Don't you get it..? He's a warmist.. so like them to "science", his opinion is "settled". And just like religious fanatics, no amount of information will penetrate his ideology.

The true denier.... and believer.

LOL
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44372 Mar 16, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe when clowns like Kerry/Gore/Obozo/Biden stop flying around the world and take advantage of something called a phone and spreading their lies and their doom and gloom propaganda then maybe people like me might take it a little more seriously.How much could they have helped the environment if they were not flying every where they go?The numerous vacations flying every where.
I doubt you'll get these warmists to address the hypocrisy of their 'leaders', Above Oz gives the "rich" warmists a pass cuz they buy their indulgences from the Church of Global Warming, so they don't actually have to make any of the changes they deem on the public.

Would it not be more an effective argument IF the "rich" warmists actually followed their own message?

Yup... but there go the second homes, the lavish vacations, and all their media accolades. And, heaven forbid, sharing mass transit with their subjects.

But never mind about them... it's a bout YOU and YOURS versus their "settled science" that their leaders preach, but don't follow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min NotSoDivineMsM 242,111
News California knocks Trump as it extends climate c... 10 hr Cordwainer Trout 2
Trump will hire Christie to replace Sessions Mon Informant 1
NJ GED Senator running NJ for a day Mon Bob G 1
Buy M Fue Punch Mon woxteenroser 2
Annette Marion learned how 2 lie and murder Sun Yvette Anne 1
Norcross and local mayor behind Russian hacks/t... Jul 23 Informant 1
More from around the web