Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 61051 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Headline already in use”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#42486 Jan 6, 2014
I encourage CO2 emissions; productivity is life.
litesong

Everett, WA

#42487 Jan 6, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]I encourage CO2 emissions; productivity is life.[/QUOTE]

People wasting energy makes "lyin' brian" money, at his two-bit oil can job.
Wasting energy is NOT efficient & NOT productive to life.

Home, sweet home.

#42488 Jan 6, 2014
lyin_litesong wrote:
When will I learn about quotes?
Good luck!
litesong

Everett, WA

#42489 Jan 6, 2014
"sociopath is sissy stuff" stuttered:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24151 ...
/////////
"community disruptor" duffed:
Not good news.....
/////////
litesong wrote:
Touched toxic topix AGW deniers wrongly pander that 2013 is so COLD, causing the Arctic sea ice to form so dramatically.
Better measures of Arctic sea ice conditions are sea VOLUMES, as compared to recent previous years. For such a COLD year, as of December 1, 2013, Arctic sea ice VOLUME is 7% more than December 1st, back to 2010, decreasing from a maximum of 15% excess. Also, present December 1, 2013 Arctic sea ice VOLUME is 9500 km3 LESS than the 1980-1989 average sea ice VOLUME.

Not good news.

Home, sweet home.

#42490 Jan 6, 2014
Unless you like clear seas and unbroken horizon; then loss of sea ice is wonderful.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
Pissed

Tuscaloosa, AL

#42491 Jan 6, 2014
No such thing as global warming, Al Goron and his die hard followers should be imprisioned for this fraud!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#42492 Jan 6, 2014
Good thing I have remote start and seat warmers on my gas guzzling vehicle!! Otherwise I would've needed some glowbull snake oil to stay warm this morning on my commute to the office !

Brrrrrr!!!
Al Gorbal Warming

Trumbull, CT

#42493 Jan 6, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Good thing I have remote start and seat warmers on my gas guzzling vehicle!! Otherwise I would've needed some glowbull snake oil to stay warm this morning on my commute to the office !
Brrrrrr!!!
You're just an amateur when it comes to burning fossil fuel. My Jet burns thousands of pounds of Jet A just flying me to some dopey Hollywood back slapping awards dinner. Heck I may do a fly over of the Arctic on my way to the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change pre-summit in Stockholm later this month. I want to see how my Polar Bear friends are doing. I might even do a fly over the Antarctic to see how those Global Warning Kooks are making out frozen in the ice. 10,000 - 20,000 pounds of fuel is a drop in the bucket to me.

ALG
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#42494 Jan 6, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
... more babble.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#42495 Jan 6, 2014
litesong wrote:
"
... and more babble.
Phoenix

Corona Del Mar, CA

#42496 Jan 6, 2014
Global warming is a farce. You get that dumb thought out of your mind.
Climate Change Scientist

Corona Del Mar, CA

#42497 Jan 6, 2014
carbide wrote:
I don't know much. what I do know is this Global warming has most of the Nation Froze solid at this time.
That's because global warming has caused extreme climate change temperatures. If not for global warming, we would have more normal winter temperatures and there would be no emergency.
Coal is King

Hopkinsville, KY

#42498 Jan 6, 2014
Voices from the Coalfields.

From London, KY:

“Time to kill more American jobs in favor of windmills and solar farms. So, Obama will make an end-run around Congress to mandate his liberal agenda as law without a single vote ever being cast.
America, is this really what you wanted?
It’s ime to withhold funding of the EPA.”

Another from London, KY:

“For all of you obama bobble heads. He promised us high gas prices, and to get rid of coal. So when your electric bill goes thru the roof.Do not blame our utilty companies.Blame your self for voting for a socialious enviro paid whacko. Quit complaining about high gas prices. We got what you voted for.
He is an embarrassment to America .”

From Nicholasville, KY (in reply to an outside environmentalist complaining about coal mining):

“what do you know about Ky? do you live here? we're flipping tired of outsiders coming in here and telling us what is best for us! try living here for a while then talk to us about it.”

From Lexington, KY (reply to an environmentalist complaining about coal fired power plants):

“Why don't lead by example? If you believe what you preach, why are you on here using coal generated electricity to condemn our modern way of living. Why are not in a hollow log in the woods somewhere shooting a bow and arrow and digging roots for a living.
Algore went to California bitching about climate change in an old soot belching plane. It is far easier to preach a message than it is to live it. Algone doesn't want anybody--except himself and John Edwards--to use any energy, but they live in energy wasting mansions, like the Hollywood movie stars.
So live what you preach and buy no processed food, don't cook any food, even with wood, walk wherever you go, don't feed a cow gas (farting) producing food and the environment will do good.
The wise men sought Christ and found him, the tower builders didn't reach heaven. Nobody is going to turn this world into an utopia, not even the liberals that think they are God.”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42499 Jan 6, 2014
As usual the USA big freeze has only drawn out all those parrots who mimic Fox news talking points or some right wing blog.

No weather event can ever be pinned to global warming as it is just that a weather event. However when computer models keep coming up with these weather events in their predictions then why does it keep getting dismissed. After all each year these models are becoming more accurate with more data being entered. So when CO2 is added to the atmosphere on the computer model and they observe how the weather changes. How is that any different than modelling the effects of an atomic bomb on a major city. Does the bomb have to be dropped to prove its data because this is exactly what deniers expect with climate change. The whole concept of global warming and climate change is to WARN of impending danger. Kinda like warning your kids not to stick the silver spoon into the electric socket or you will get fried.

Meanwhile the US freezes because the jet stream has changed and England is under water again for the 3rd year in a row and in Australia 1000's of native bats drop dead from heat falling out of the trees in the middle of a 120f heatwave. But it's still move along nothing to see here, there is no truth in what those scientists are saying.

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environme...
Democrat mom

Corona Del Mar, CA

#42500 Jan 6, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
As usual the USA big freeze has only drawn out all those parrots who mimic Fox news talking points or some right wing blog.
No weather event can ever be pinned to global warming as it is just that a weather event. However when computer models keep coming up with these weather events in their predictions then why does it keep getting dismissed. After all each year these models are becoming more accurate with more data being entered. So when CO2 is added to the atmosphere on the computer model and they observe how the weather changes. How is that any different than modelling the effects of an atomic bomb on a major city. Does the bomb have to be dropped to prove its data because this is exactly what deniers expect with climate change. The whole concept of global warming and climate change is to WARN of impending danger. Kinda like warning your kids not to stick the silver spoon into the electric socket or you will get fried.
Meanwhile the US freezes because the jet stream has changed and England is under water again for the 3rd year in a row and in Australia 1000's of native bats drop dead from heat falling out of the trees in the middle of a 120f heatwave. But it's still move along nothing to see here, there is no truth in what those scientists are saying.
http://www.weather.com/news/science/environme...
Glad to see you agree there's no truth in what those scientists are saying.
wow

Zion, IL

#42501 Jan 6, 2014
I like how ya bring up the weather .com bs who else do you think supports this garbage a$$ globull warming hoax anyone remember the winter 78 - 79 what was the excuse then
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#42502 Jan 6, 2014
Oh, they're having fun with this. Just too much fun.

When it gets sweltering in March, we won't hear a peep.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42503 Jan 6, 2014
wow wrote:
I like how ya bring up the weather .com bs who else do you think supports this garbage a$$ globull warming hoax anyone remember the winter 78 - 79 what was the excuse then
Hey in 78 it was big a$$ V8's with no emission standards about 9 mpg plus a good dose of C02 emissions plus lead and any other pollutant you can think of. No link there either but these days with China on board a new car is sold on average every 2.8 seconds adding to the polluting pool when in the 70's they were all on push bikes. So no link there either, try farting in a crowded elevator and see if the others in there think its a hoax as well.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#42504 Jan 6, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
Oh, they're having fun with this. Just too much fun.
When it gets sweltering in March, we won't hear a peep.
I hope the temperature goes back up, these 5k a month energy bills for the one house are killing my bank account. Not really, as long as I have you losers buying into my malarkey, I be living big.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#42505 Jan 6, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, for a start this little expedition was just eco tourists not a boat full of climate scientists, there was one leading the tour. So that's your first cherry pick of the day.
Secondly because the boat got iced in can we now declare climate change is over ?
Is this the other catch phrase you deniers want to put out there now
See what happens when you open your mouth, we have to face facts. Damn, now we have to hide the truth somehow.
Mainstream Media Omits Climate Change Mission from Antarctica Ship Rescue
Global warming experts adrift in Antarctica since Christmas have finally been rescued, as the valiant efforts to save the Russian ship Akademik Shokalskiy were documented throughout the mainstream media.
Yet one major detail – what the ship was doing in Antarctica at all – seems to have eluded almost every major media outlet.
Breitbart News previously reported that the New York Times's account of how the Russian ship was finally freed from a large chunk of ice after attempts by a Chinese icebreaker failed mysteriously omitted the original purpose of having 25 professors on board a ship in Antarctica in the first place.
However, the Times was not anywhere near alone in covering only the details of the rescue without any look into why the crew needed rescuing.
CNN's earlier reports on the ship coincide with this week's news that the crew on the ship was finally saved by an American icebreaker ship, both mentioning that the crew onboard the Akademik Shokalskiy were, indeed, "on a climate change research ship." It stands out among media sources in pointing this out. The Associated Press, for example, mentions only that the Akademik Shokalskiy was a "research ship." The Washington Post version of the AP story claims the ship was in Antarctica "re-creating Australian explorer Douglas Mawson’s 1911-13 voyage to Antarctica." NBC News went with this story, too, as did Reuters – omitting any mention of climate change research. ABC News went with no mention of any motive for the ship's being down in the Antarctic at all.
Not every media outlet merely reported a straight story without that key fact; some attempted to find new angles to the story that distracted from the purpose of the voyage and the tragedy that befell it – during Antarctica's summertime, no less – and the terrible optics these implied for the climate change lobby. USA Today, for example, wondered whether there would be any impact on the Antarctic tourist cruise industry thanks to the media's covering a ship stuck in the region (it concluded that no, no cruise companies seem to be worrying about this). National Geographic went with the very bizarre twist of emphasizing the American rescue ship's horsepower compared both to the Russian ship and its initial Chinese icebreaker savior, admiring the sheer power to break ice of such a ship.
Only publications with "conservative" reputations like the New York Post and the Boston Herald addressed the climate change angle of the story. The Herald ran an editorial hoping that the incident would increase awareness of the continued growth of Antarctica's polar ice caps, a fact contrary to much global warming speculation. The Post also mentioned the record-breaking ice in Antarctica's summer and highlighted the ship's goal to document the hypothetical record-breaking melting the scientists expected to find.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 53 min District 1 222,605
News 28 postal workers charged with mail theft, othe... 8 hr RustyS 2
Need to identify a woman 12 hr Missouri85 1
News California Lawmakers Approve Extension Of Clima... Fri Apostate 1
News California court decision keeps teacher tenure ... Thu Latricia 2
GD Designs Rochdale (26) Aug 25 august005 1
News Joe Guzzardi: UC Shows Blatant Favoritism towar... Aug 23 Dee Dee Dee 2
More from around the web