Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
33,521 - 33,540 of 45,779 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Wise up? Use corn ethanol to starve the poor. Use solar and wind with massive tax subsidies and borrowing. Use credit to mitigate climate change because it's unaffordable as well as impossible.
Brainless_G would prefer we use GM foods and manipulation of food distribution to starve the poor...use fossil fuels with massive tax subsidies and profits...and pretend that "mitigation" is the problem rather than recognition of climate change and acceptance of the need for green energy and conservation.

That's because Brainless_G is, well...brainless.:)
Arno Arrak

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
The hottest year on record was 1934*
* in the lower 48 states of the continental U.S.
"Globally, 1934 is not the hottest year on record, not even close. Not even close; the ten hottest years on record have all occured since 1990. And #1 is still 2005 (according to GISS) or 1998 (according to HadCRU; it’s really a “statistical tie”)."
http://tamino.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/before...
I hate to tell you but you that you have been looking at fake temperature curves emanating from Hansen, the then leader of GISS. 2005 is nowhere close to maximum - it is very much average for that temperature region. HadCRUT4 has it right with 1998. They both miss the fact that there was a step warming in 1998 caused by the large amount of warm water carried across the ocean by the super El Nino of 1998. In four years it raised global temperature by a third of a degree and then stopped. Its origin was oceanic and it cannot possibly be counted as greenhouse warming. There was no warming before 1998 either, back to 1979, which makes it the only warming within the last 33 years. Hansen's claim more accurately is that nine out of ten warmest years have occurred since 2000. That is not surprising since they sit on top of a high temperature plateau created by the step warming in 1998. But again Hansen tries to distort the facts by claiming that greenhouse warming caused it. And speaking of 2005 which is a fantasy, he also claimed that 2010 matched it in height. That is just one more trick to try to deny that there has been no warming this century. 2010 is the peak year of the 2010 El Nino. You are not allowed to equate El Nino peaks with global mean of the ENSO oscillation. Global mean of ENSO is the average of an El Nino peak and its neighboring La Nina valley. The nearest La Nina to 2010 was 2008 and their average lines up neatly with the flat temperature platform that began in 2000.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Arno Arrak wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to tell you but you ... But again Hansen tries to distort the facts by claiming that greenhouse warming caused it... average lines up neatly with the flat temperature platform that began in 2000.
Then don't.

Dr. Hansen does not distort but you do here.

Where's your evidence?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
Wise up? Use corn ethanol to starve the poor. Use solar and wind with massive tax subsidies and borrowing. Use credit to mitigate climate change because it's unaffordable as well as impossible.
You have that the wrong way round, if you had a government with any spine but it seems unlikely as they could not even pass a simple gun control measure. Then alternatives would not need subsidies because fossil fuels would have a tax hike put on them that would make your big a$$ truck worthless. That's the fix! pay the price of fuel the Euro's pay.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we could wise up, fool.
Tell us what else in life is inevitable, besides death and asteroid strikes.
Death and asteroid hits don't drive home the point enough of what "inevitable" is?
You fear mongers don't love the planet, you hate humanity and your miserable lives and just want to drag the rest of us down with you. Have fun while we laugh and spread love for the planet, not silly fear.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Why are the deniers like mememe certifiable nuts?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

“In response to carbon dioxide-induced warming, the global water cycle undergoes a gigantic competition for moisture resulting in a global pattern of increased heavy rain, decreased moderate rain, and prolonged droughts in certain regions,” said William Lau of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

Areas projected to see the most significant increase in heavy rainfall are in the tropical zones around the equator, particularly in the Pacific Ocean and Asian monsoon regions.

Some regions outside the tropics may have no rainfall at all.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Would you be willing to be subjected to criminal charges of uttering CO2 death threats to our children when climate change crisis is proven in court to be the exaggeration that it is?
What else do you do for fun besides fear mongering kids; torture frogs, pull fire alarms, rubber neck car accidents, tell on your sister....?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>.. uttering CO2 death threats to our children when climate change crisis is proven in court to be the exaggeration that it is?
What else do you do for fun besides fear mongering kids; torture frogs, pull fire alarms, rubber neck car accidents, tell on your sister....?
What! I've never done those things but you have in these threads. I'm NOT you!

I was correct you are a certifiable nut.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

tha Professor wrote:
Brainless_G would prefer we use GM foods and manipulation of food distribution to starve the poor...
I support the use of GM food to prevent starvation and vitamin deficiencies, such as golden rice. The greens are the ones banning GM foods at the price of starving children.

tha Professor wrote:
use fossil fuels with massive tax subsidies and profits...
Fossil fuels create massive tax revenue, far more than any 'subsidy'. Why don't you cite a fossil fuel tax subsidy that doesn't apply to any other producer?

tha Professor wrote:
and pretend that "mitigation" is the problem rather than recognition of climate change and acceptance of the need for green energy and conservation.
The problem is the lack of any experiment that shows climate change mitigation is possible.

tha Professor wrote:
That's because Brainless_G is, well...brainless.:)
I make my arguments without irrational insults; this is where we differ.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Two of the denier's darlings are a little more reasonable than the majority of deniers.

http://blogs.nicholas.duke.edu/thegreengrok/h...

It's possible that even some Republicans are finding it to be politically expedient to embrace reason instead of dogma.
litesong

Monroe, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

me me me getting mine in the 69 position wrote:
You fear mongers don't love the planet, you hate humanity.....
That's why conservative, business & re-pubic-lick-un PEE-R propaganda opposed the life saving benefits of clean air technology in the 70's, 80's, 90's & even today. re-pubic-lick-uns stink (some... even quite a few are steenking)!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text> OK...? What "Truth" is used to back up Scientific opinion?
Didn't yo momma tell you?

Look it up, dear.
litesong

Monroe, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

me me me getting mine in the 69 position wrote:
..... when climate change crisis is proven in court........
toxic topix AGW deniers can't prove that their cube heads fit in a square root.
litesong

Monroe, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
It's possible that even some Republicans are finding it to be politically expedient to embrace reason instead of dogma.
But all re-pubic-lick-uns can only lick pubics.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Massive tax subsidies for fossil fuels dwarf any for green energy, at least in the US.

Green tech is nice and very helpful, but there's also conservation and higher efficiency, which "greens" have been promoting for decades and deniers have denigrated for just as long.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>Death and asteroid hits don't drive home the point enough of what "inevitable" is?
You fear mongers don't love the planet, you hate humanity and your miserable lives and just want to drag the rest of us down with you. Have fun while we laugh and spread love for the planet, not silly fear.
No, fool, I asked that you give us some other things that are immutable, unchangeable, inevitable.

The two points I concede are, as yet, beyond our control. But, in the scope of human endeavor, any future result can be altered by action now, be it good or bad.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>Would you be willing to be subjected to criminal charges of uttering CO2 death threats to our children when climate change crisis is proven in court to be the exaggeration that it is?
Why don't you bring those charges against whomever in a court of law now if you think you have a case?

Otherwise, why don't you shut the fuggup?
litesong

Monroe, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
mememine69 is really 'me me me getting mine in the 69 position' & it contracted the same thing as Karen in 'Out of Africa', spreading it to all the toxic topix AGW deniers.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Massive tax subsidies for fossil fuels dwarf any for green energy, at least in the US.
Fossil fuel users pay far more in taxes than any supposed subsidy. Why don't you cite one of your imagined fossil fuel tax subsidies? Do you think all the money earned by producing fossil fuels belongs to the government?

gcaveman1 wrote:
Green tech is nice and very helpful, but there's also conservation and higher efficiency, which "greens" have been promoting for decades and deniers have denigrated for just as long.
Green energy doesn't work, that's why the government has to pay people to use it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••