Surviving the New Killer Bug A nasty, drug-resistant staph...

Full story: Time 59
Jewaun Smith, a 9-year-old boy from Chicago, is lucky to be alive. A scrape on his left knee that he picked up riding his bike last October turned into a runaway infection that spread in a matter of days ... Full Story
Blaine

AOL

#26 Sep 27, 2006
Same thing at Mercy wrote:
I am getting so angry at the Docs. They cover each others asses. My Moms surgeon will not admit what this bacteria is. He has treated her for Staph. Then tells us to leave the wound open. I am not going to take much more. I have to find a Doc. outside the Mercy Health System to help us.
Hello Get in touch with my wife and I about Mercy Hospital Bstanziana@aol.com
curious

Florence, MS

#27 Sep 28, 2006
I was doing a research project when this came up, this disease can be spread as easily as kissing or sharing a cigarette, also, this disease starts in GAS form and only in certain people will it cause this flesh eating, good luck to all, it may very likely be from dirty tools, but one of you could be a carrier and never know!!
Valerie

Fredericksburg, VA

#28 Nov 7, 2006
Sam wrote:
It would be interesting if this disease has anything to do with many diseases coming into this country from the Illegal Invasion. Just a thought to consider as the doctors are not commiting to any ryme or reason to the cause. It could be in the food that is packaged by illegal workers, it could be by contact. Who knows. Fruit for thought.
Hope all of your loved ones comeoutof this experience okay.
Lawsuit, hell yes!
Sam, i think it would have more to do with the overuse of antibiotics,and the growing resistance of this bacteria to the antibiotics. We've all heard how parents are being told to be careful that doctors not prescribe antibiotics for every little thing, and because this has been done for so long, i believe our bodies have lost the ability to naturally fight infections as well as they once could. You may want to Google antibiotic resistance and see what you find on this. like you said"food for thought"
Valerie

Fredericksburg, VA

#29 Nov 7, 2006
Hey Now wrote:
Wow, that sucks. Thanks to overuse of Antibiotics. Hope she gets better. What was the reason for leaving her open? Maybe they had to see if she was going to be reinfected? im a bit confused. Are you saying she got the flesh eating bacteria because she was left open for 5 days?>
I used to be a veterinary technician, and although we never worked on humans, almost all conditions and surgical procedures are parallel to humans. The reason for leaving a wound open sometimes is for it to drain and give it a chance to form granulation tissue. Sometimes, the wound has drainage tubes put in and sutured at the site. It just depends on the type of wound. It is a possibility that she got it because the area was kept open but even if she were sutured she still could have been exposed to the strep bacteria. Although i know that negligence happens in every known medical facility at times, the reality is that there is just no way that a hospital or medical clinic can ever be kept totally sterile and free of staph and strep. Its virtually impossible. So while I see the need for lawsuits in some cases, it cant ALWAYS be blamed on the negligence of medical staff. Unfortunately, we will never be able to fully eradicate every single bacterium in an environment full of living, breathing hosts (humans and animals). Thats the world we live in.
Ruby

United States

#30 Nov 7, 2006
My husband was in the ICU in our local hospital and got MRSA and Staph Pneumonia, and Sepsis. When I had him transfered to a better hospital, they told me he had tested positive for 5 differant infections. All from this hospital. You never know when you go to a hospital if you are going to ever come again. It is very scarry, I know we have been through it.
wild thang

United States

#31 Nov 9, 2006
Donna wrote:
My boyfriend had the same ordeal, sort of. What he thought was a spider bite or ingrwon hair,later turned into (within a matter of two days)a huge (and I mean huge) festering sore. When we arrived at the hospital he was admitted (hospital gown, test, the whole 9) within the hour. This "bite" (which was never really given as the reason) had to be drained, gauzed and IV fluids taken for about 2 weeks (along with several types of antibiotics). Infectious Disease doctors were baffeled and still to this day, is of "unknown origin". He has since been released after about a 6 weeks of bed rest (not much rest with a big sore on your abdomen). And the at home cleaning twice a day was the WORST!
my sister had the exact same thing-- they thought it was a spider bite which in s period of a few hours made the worst whole in her abdomen she had to have it cut open stuffed with gauze and massive iv therapy-sent home to pull an inch of gauze out ever day till it was all pulled out which the oder was horrible --now it has left a nasty lookin spot on her stomach--- doctors still say they dont think it was a hite BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS......
Lector

Milpitas, CA

#32 Nov 10, 2006
wild thang wrote:
<quoted text> my sister had the exact same thing-- they thought it was a spider bite which in s period of a few hours made the worst whole in her abdomen she had to have it cut open stuffed with gauze and massive iv therapy-sent home to pull an inch of gauze out ever day till it was all pulled out which the oder was horrible --now it has left a nasty lookin spot on her stomach--- doctors still say they dont think it was a hite BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS......
It's da "ROOT"
wild thang

United States

#33 Nov 10, 2006
Lector wrote:
<quoted text>
It's da "ROOT"
da ROOT? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SHIT.
Gina

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Nov 14, 2006
This is scary stuff - my boyfriend is now in the hospital being treated for MRSA - but they are now searching for staph. pyogenes - the big boys of nasty bacteria. The vancomycin is now working - so now what? What looked like a bug bite on his foot has turned into a gaping wound that is growing by the day - the pain is unbearable for him - nothing has taken the pain away so far. Debridement and surgury are next....
Bill Thomas

Pittsburgh, PA

#36 Nov 15, 2006
I am very sorry to hear about your wife. I saw the story on the news this morning and my heart went out to you and to her. However, I feel very strongly against seeking cash reward for a settlement. There are other methods or ways of making sure that things like this never happen again. Suing is never the answer. Especially in this case, I would hate to see the hospital having to cut staff and leave people out of work because they were sued for millions of dollars, or even worse, banktruptcy. I have no connections to Mercy Hospital except for the fact that I was born there. Nonetheless, I love Pittsburgh, and I would hate to see one of our historic landmarks slowly crumble due to a lawsuit. Yes, they made a mistake, but do you really believe it was due to negligence? Ask yourself,"Do you really think they just put your wife on the back-burner?" These people are professionals with a knowledge databank that I can't even comprehend. My advice to you is to quit feeling sorry for yourself, be thankful that you still have your wife, and get mad about the situation and fix it without have to sue anybody. Let's get out of this sue happy world we live in because it's destroying us. Learn from the Amish in Lancaster County.
loner

Dallas, TX

#37 Nov 15, 2006
I cant stand no spider bvites .Im telling you my poor Mother had brown recluse ones all over both legs .She looked like the craters on the moon on her legs rest her soul.
Bill thomas

AOL

#38 Nov 15, 2006
Bill,
First of all you have no Idea how bad my wife and I suffered at the hands of Mercy Hospital, we told hospital doctors the morning of her surgery that she still had a sore throat, we even placed this information in her medical records. Sore and Strep throats contain the same bacteria that cause the Flesh Eating Disease, this is what caused what happened to my wife. We also have uncovered evidence that your so wonderful Mercy Hospital has changed my wifes answers in the medical records about her having a sore throat to try to cover it up!!! If our lawsuit would close this hospital down I wouldnt lose a second of sleep, this would ensure me that they could never do this to another person ever again, until you"ve walked the walk, Don't talk the talk!!
Bill Thomas

Pittsburgh, PA

#39 Nov 16, 2006
What talk do you propose I'm talking?? I'm simply trying to tell you and others on this forum about the power of forgiveness, and the gift of graciousness. Forgive the few people at Mercy that did you guys wrong. Don't make the whole hospital suffer at others expense. And be gracious to the fact that you still have your wife. Based on what you said, you could have lost her to the disease. But you didn't. That to me sounds like a miracle, like someone was watching out for your wife. So you should be graciously thanking whatever God you believe in. I thank God that your wife is still alive, because now she can be a powerful tool in assuring that a mess like this never occurs again. She can take this to congress or be a voice in the community. In fact, there was an article in the post gazette yesterday about the wide spread cause of infection in Pennsylvania hospitals. AGH was the worst. But UPMC Shadyside and UPMC Presby were almost just as bad. What, should we all sue? Think about the effects that would have on society, on your city. Prices of health care, prices of education for your children, level of care in hospitals,etc. It's a sad story man, no matter how you look at, so shine some light on the situation and do the respectable thing. You may not be able to live in that big home you've been dreaming of, but at least you'll be able to live with yourself. As for me, I acquired the hepatitis A virus from the Chi-Chi's outbreak 3 years ago. I was in the hospital for 3 months, but probably wasn't as bad off as your wife. Nonetheless, I didn't ask for a dime.
Bill thomas

AOL

#40 Nov 16, 2006
Bill I am grateful to GOD that he saved my wife, I am the most forgiving man you would ever meet, but this form of Neglience has to stop. when you break the law where do you go?? To Jail or should we forgive them as well? Everything in life has a consequence good or bad ever action has an equal and opposite reaction. The only way to stop anything that is wrong is punishment in any form after all there are two million people behind bars in america who you say should be forgivin. My wife is scared forever, no amount of money will ever change what has happened to us but it will open eyes so it will never happen again. Necrotizing Fasciitious comes with a LIFE SENTENCE, No Parole
my comment

United States

#41 Nov 16, 2006
Bill Thomas wrote:
I am very sorry to hear about your wife. I saw the story on the news this morning and my heart went out to you and to her. However, I feel very strongly against seeking cash reward for a settlement. There are other methods or ways of making sure that things like this never happen again. Suing is never the answer. Especially in this case, I would hate to see the hospital having to cut staff and leave people out of work because they were sued for millions of dollars, or even worse, banktruptcy. I have no connections to Mercy Hospital except for the fact that I was born there. Nonetheless, I love Pittsburgh, and I would hate to see one of our historic landmarks slowly crumble due to a lawsuit. Yes, they made a mistake, but do you really believe it was due to negligence? Ask yourself,"Do you really think they just put your wife on the back-burner?" These people are professionals with a knowledge databank that I can't even comprehend. My advice to you is to quit feeling sorry for yourself, be thankful that you still have your wife, and get mad about the situation and fix it without have to sue anybody. Let's get out of this sue happy world we live in because it's destroying us. Learn from the Amish in Lancaster County.
WELL i really cant believe what i just read. you are telling a man who just went through a horrible experience with his wife (whom i can only imagine what she's feelings) to get over it. you my fiend have no business on this forum giving anyone advice about lawsuits. i hope this gentleman and his wife sue and get millions of dollars.. Hospitals and healthcares have a track record of hiring ppl with not so good records. the area where i come from-- the nursing homes are loaded with staff that i wouldnt let take care of my dog let alone my parents, why they hire them? desperate for help-- who suffers? the poor patients... it is everywhere... If ppl knew the risk of hospital mistakes there wouldnt be many hospitals left open.......
Bill Thomas

Pittsburgh, PA

#42 Nov 16, 2006
I too beleive that people should be punished for wrong doings. I think the hospital should be punished for their mistakes. But since when is that our responsibility, or more accurately, when is that our right? It's not and never will be! Besides, forgiveness doesn't erradicate punishment! Yes, I believe criminals should be forgiven, but just cause we forgive them, doesn't mean they shouldn't go to jail. Perhaps some employees at Mercy should go to jail, or at least lose their licenses. Why can't that be the answer? Why does the whole hospital have to suffer? Because that's what a lawsuit does. That's my problem, and Blaine, I realize it's not really my place to be telling you what you should or should not do. But passive doesn't describe me and never has. When I feel strongly about something, I vocalize, and I make sure I direct it to the right person. That's why I think your passion should be focused in the right direction. The man in Lancaster County started a donation for the wife of the man who killed his daughter last month, and he publicly stated that he forgave the man who committed the horrible crime. Doesn't that inspire you even a little bit?
Bill Thomas

Pittsburgh, PA

#43 Nov 16, 2006
Mister Mulkeytown, if you would read attentively and not selectively, you would have realized that I'm not giving any advice about lawsuits. I'm voicing my opinion against lawsuits. My opinion...not law, statute, policy or rule, but opinion. Isn't that what this forum is for?? Or should I be like everyone else and throw a pity party for him? I don't think he wants my pity. I'm not saying anything disrespectful or rude, am I? So let's take your advice and sue for millions of dollars for every medical malpractice case in America. That'll solve our problems. I can see what you're motivated by. You're the one that shouldn't be giving advice on this forum...so long as it's greed-motivated advice.
shelly

Richwood, NJ

#44 Nov 22, 2006
i know what you mean thats all messed up every one does have to be careful of what ever they do watch your self dont get anything you dont want good luck to you
curious wrote:
I was doing a research project when this came up, this disease can be spread as easily as kissing or sharing a cigarette, also, this disease starts in GAS form and only in certain people will it cause this flesh eating, good luck to all, it may very likely be from dirty tools, but one of you could be a carrier and never know!!
Vlad

Bullhead City, AZ

#45 Nov 22, 2006
do not worry ! vlad is here ! I now look for bugs
to add to my collection ! vlady
slobo

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#46 Nov 22, 2006
You're not related to Vlad the Impaler are you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carly Fiorina actively explores 2016 presidenti... 19 min serfs up 14
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Jamie 48,583
Twenty years after Prop. 187, attitudes toward ... Nov 24 SplNDlzzy 3
Berkeley students protest UC tuition hike Nov 23 Ace McMillan 3
DMV to offer driver licenses for undocumented i... Nov 20 Le Jimbo 5
Tuition hikes move to final vote in California Nov 20 Ace McMillan 3
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 17 NB Simkhada 201,146

California Government People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE