Boy Scouts Could Lose Tax-Exempt Stat...

Boy Scouts Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status in California Because of Gay Ban

There are 100 comments on the www.towleroad.com story from Feb 20, 2013, titled Boy Scouts Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status in California Because of Gay Ban. In it, www.towleroad.com reports that:

A new bill proposed by openly gay California state senator Ricardo Lara would strip the Boy Scouts' tax exempt status for discriminating against members and leaders on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, LGBT POV reports

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.towleroad.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#112 Feb 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I often wonder what the founders would think if they could see society today. I'd like to think they would say- "good job, but you've still got work to do......"
Agreed.

If we had a time machine and could bring them here now, I think a conversation with Jefferson and Madison among others would be fascinating. I wonder if they would be disappointed we haven't come further faster or would be happy with the progress. Either way, I agree they would recognize we still have a long way to go.

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#113 Feb 22, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Again, most gay men and women are not infected with any disease.
Gay women are the lowest risk group, far behind heterosexual women and men.
Disease transmission information has always been used to demonize and dehumanize populations targeted for punishment. It was used to justify inter-racial segregation, and continues to be used today, despite the fact we don't deny equal rights based on disease, and straight folks become infected with all of the same diseases and even more straight people do all of the same things gay people do.
Disease transmission information demonstrates the value of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage.
It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction. It fails as an excuse for denial of equal fundamental rights.
You're wasting your time. All they care about is their hatred. There is no logic to it and you're not going to convince them, no matter what studies you site. It's the only thing they have left to try and feel superior in their small minded little world. It's sad, but they deserve the misery of ignorance.

AOL

#114 Feb 22, 2013
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondered how long it would take for your regular dose of misinformation and bigoted Bullsh*t.. SKAT Queen
And what is the purpose of posting disease transmission information, if not to demonize and dehumanize in order to justify harm?

In addition to the information being misleading and some of it inaccurate or even false, it clearly isn't intended here to promote stable monogamous marriages, even though that is the best rational purpose for it.

While important to correct the record, like with an abused child, any attention, including abuse, is reinforcement. Acknowledgement only encourages more of the demonstrated negative behavior.

AOL

#115 Feb 22, 2013
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wasting your time. All they care about is their hatred. There is no logic to it and you're not going to convince them, no matter what studies you site. It's the only thing they have left to try and feel superior in their small minded little world. It's sad, but they deserve the misery of ignorance.
I agree most hate trolls will refuse to learn, yet I believe it is sometimes important to correct the record, just in case someone who is capable of learning happens along. Not everyone who reads these comments joins the attempt at a rational conversation.

As we have seen from the positive change in attitudes since the 50's, many are capable of overcoming the irrational prejudice we were all taught as children. Many can assimilate new information that conflicts with the irrational prejudice they were taught, and put aside the old prejudices.

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#116 Feb 22, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
And what is the purpose of posting disease transmission information, if not to demonize and dehumanize in order to justify harm?
In addition to the information being misleading and some of it inaccurate or even false, it clearly isn't intended here to promote stable monogamous marriages, even though that is the best rational purpose for it.
While important to correct the record, like with an abused child, any attention, including abuse, is reinforcement. Acknowledgement only encourages more of the demonstrated negative behavior.
Ok, I'll stop feeding the trolls.

AOL

#117 Feb 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I finally read the novel "The Help" and was still suprised by the bigotry on such a personal level. The fact that bathrooms were segregated primarily because whites thought blacks had different diseases than white people.
And of course the federal govt intentionally infecting black men with syphilis (without their knowledge or consent) to see if they reacted the same way to the disease as white men.
Amazing, simply amazing......
I'm pretty sure you have seen the chart demonstrating the same excuses used to deny equal treatment to same sex couples were also used to deny equal treatment to inter-racial couples and support segregation in the past. Disease transmission was one of the irrational excuses used then, just as it continues to be used today.

You probably also saw a while back, an article demonstrating disease information was used during WW 1 and WW 2 to demonize and dehumanize the enemy. Generals have known throughout history, it helps to dehumanize the enemy in order to justify to your soldiers, harming them.

This is nothing new, but you might think we would have learned the fallacy of this tactic by now. Unfortunately, each new generation can only learn from the mistakes of the past by exposure to the information, while dehumanizing others in order to harm them seems to be instinctual, as demonstrated by the schoolyard bully.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#119 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
You fking queers are a vessel for diseases. Born liars and freaks of nature.
That was not an answer. Try again:

Which clearly means the vast majority of gay people do not have and will never get HIV.

**If** you are really so concerned about HIV (which I doubt) then you MUST support gay marriage, which by its very nature diminishes the spread of all STD's, just like straight marriage does.

Otherwise you're just a hypocrite using HIV as an excuse for your prejudice.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#120 Feb 22, 2013
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Maybe most queers are not infected but MOST of those who are infected are homosexuals. FACT NOT HATE.
It may be a fact (I didn't look it up to verify) but you are using it to hate.

That fact has no bearing on this discussion about the Boy Scouts, or on discussions about gay marriage, or anything else. It's a health issue.

You are attempting to use that fact to draw conclusions which are simply hate.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#121 Feb 22, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with you [email protected] is, you NEVER admit the truth, no matter what evidence there is. You will deny, twist, distort, and lie about anything rather than tell or admit the truth. A liar is a liar, whether you're Queer or straight, and you Queers seem to embrace telling lies.
I see this claim repeated over and over by different names (same person??) yet there is no proof. Find a lie and repost it.

Liar.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#123 Feb 22, 2013
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Maybe most queers are not infected but MOST of those who are infected are homosexuals. FACT NOT HATE.
GAY MEN RESPONSIBLE FOR 79% OF NEW AIDS INFECTIONS
Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)1 represent approximately 2% of the US population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2009, MSM accounted for 61% of all new HIV infections, and MSM with a history of injection drug use (MSM-IDU) accounted for an additional 3% of new infections. That same year, young MSM accounted for 69% of new HIV infections among persons aged 13–29 and 44% of infections among all MSM. At the end of 2009, an estimated 441,669 (56%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the US were MSM or MSM-IDU.
The Numbers
New HIV Infections2
In 2009, MSM accounted for 61% of new HIV infections in the US and 79% of infections among all newly infected men. Compared with other groups, MSM accounted for the largest numbers of new HIV infections in 2009.
Among all MSM, white MSM accounted for 11,400 (39%) new HIV infections in 2009. The largest number of new infections (3,400) occurred in those aged 40–49.
Among all MSM, black/African American MSM accounted for 10,800 (37%) new HIV infections in 2009. Whereas new HIV infections were relatively stable among MSM overall from 2006–2009, they increased 34% among young MSM—an increase largely due to a 48% increase among young black/African American MSM aged 13–29.
Among all MSM, Hispanic/Latino MSM accounted for 6,000 (20%) new HIV infections in 2009. The largest percentage of new infections (45%) occurred in those aged 13–29.
Estimates of New HIV Infections in the US, 2009, for the Most-Affected Subpopulations
Shown here is a vertical bar chart entitled,“Estimates of New HIV Infections in the United States, 2009, for the Most-Affected Subpopulations”. White MSM = 11,400 Black MSM = 10, 800 Women = 6,000 Latino MSM = 5,400 Black Heterosexual Men =2,400 White Heterosexual Women = 1,700 Black Male IDUs = 1,700 Latina Heterosexual Women = 1,200 Black Female IDUs =940 Subpopulations representing 2% or less of the overall US epidemic are not reflected in this chart.
Subpopulations representing 2% or less of the overall US epidemic are not reflected in this chart.
HIV and AIDS Diagnoses3 and Deaths
In 2010, in the 46 states with long-term confidential, name-based reporting, MSM accounted for 78% of estimated HIV diagnoses among all males aged 13 years and older, and 61% of estimated diagnoses among all persons receiving an HIV diagnosis that year.
At the end of 2009, of the estimated 784,701 persons living with an HIV diagnosis, 396,810, or 51%, were MSM. About 48% of MSM living with an HIV diagnosis were white, 30% were black/African American, and 19% were Hispanic/Latino.
In 2010, MSM accounted for 51% of estimated AIDS diagnoses among all adults and adolescents in the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Of the estimated 16,796 AIDS diagnoses among MSM, 37% were in blacks/African Americans; 36% in whites; and 22% in Hispanics/Latinos.
By the end of 2009, an estimated 296,222 MSM with an AIDS diagnosis had died in the US since the beginning of the epidemic.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm/index.htm
<quoted text>
Gee..... I bet you're extra scared of black dick.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#125 Feb 22, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Same truth, no mater who says it. You know it, I know it, don't need any proof. We're not in court.
You are the LIAR
Mitt Romney? is that you?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#126 Feb 22, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Same truth, no mater who says it. You know it, I know it, don't need any proof. We're not in court.
You are the LIAR

Since we're not in kindergarten, that won't work.

You constantly call gay people liars.

It's impossible to prove that, but the least you could do is show evidence of one gay person lying on this thread.

Or you're just full of it.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#129 Feb 22, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
No Doo Doo Boy, it's only me NoQ. Remember me? I'm the one who calls you out on all your bull SHlT
liar
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#130 Feb 22, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence is here constantly. Just as someone post facts and figures, even with a link, you [email protected] still say it isn't so. Natural liars.
liar.
Jaime Perez

Dallas, TX

#131 Feb 22, 2013
Did you know that 90% of car accidents are caused by straight people?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#133 Feb 22, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence is here constantly. Just as someone post facts and figures, even with a link, you [email protected] still say it isn't so. Natural liars.
So you refuse to provide evidence to back up a claim you repeat over and over.

Dismissed and ignored.

You're a failure.

Next.

AOL

#134 Feb 22, 2013
Most gay men and women are not infected with any disease. Gay women are the lowest risk group, far behind heterosexual women and men.

Disease transmission information has always been used to demonize and dehumanize populations targeted for punishment. It was used to justify inter-racial segregation, and continues to be used today, despite the fact straight folks become infected with all of the same diseases, and even more straight people do all of the same things gay people do.

But more fundamentally, we don't deny equal rights based on disease. Because there are some who would like to do that, we have even hat to pass laws protecting people with diseases, birth defects, etc, from discrimination.

Disease transmission information demonstrates the importance of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage.

It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction.

It fails as an excuse for denial of equal fundamental rights.

Because it has no rational basis, it is nothing more than an attempt to demonize, dehumanize, and rationalize harming others needlessly.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#137 Feb 23, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you still lie and deny the truth, even though you know you Queers are born liars.
Dismissed and ignored.
You're a failure and a liar.
Repeat your last sentence....IN THE MIRROR and you got it right!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#140 Feb 23, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's very sad that you [email protected] have to be such liars on top of being perverted freaks. It's a no wonder it's a very long road to get people to put up with your nasty A$$ES.
And yet the majority of Americans think gays should be able to marry, and in 3 states they actually voted that into law.

Hmmmm, seems it's not that long a road to acceptance after all.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#141 Feb 23, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's very sad that you [email protected] have to be such liars on top of being perverted freaks. It's a no wonder it's a very long road to get people to put up with your nasty A$$ES.
And yet here you are, still, voluntarily and constantly.

What the hell is up with you? Normal straight people don't do that.

P.S. It means nothing when you say gay people are liars. You've failed to back that up. You just sound like a little girl now, repeating it over and over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min IB DaMann 60,115
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon Barbi A 201,865
News Schwarzenegger seeks $95M for green research (Dec '06) Jun 24 Follow The Money 5
News California Lawmakers Poised To Make It Illegal ... Jun 10 Into The Night 142
News How racism came to be called a mental illness a... Jun 10 Jaimie 7
News Insuring illegal immigrants: California Legisla... Jun 8 Preacher Man 23
News Californians likely headed for Dem v Dem Senate... Jun 8 RustyS 2
More from around the web