Court: Candidates not proficient in E...

Court: Candidates not proficient in English can be barred from seeking office

There are 4 comments on the Yuma Sun story from Aug 17, 2012, titled Court: Candidates not proficient in English can be barred from seeking office. In it, Yuma Sun reports that:

Candidates who are not proficient in English can be barred from seeking public office, the Arizona Supreme Court ruled today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Yuma Sun.

Excellent

Kansas City, MO

#1 Aug 17, 2012
Right on!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#2 Aug 18, 2012
Excellent wrote:
Right on!
Honest people is what we need, people with values. Most likely more than 95 percent of her constituents speak her language, so if we really care about having a government for the people and by the people who cares about her language skills if the people of San Luis want her in their government. In Puerto Rico everyone speaks Spanish anyway, so i won't be the first time.

They worry about her having an interpreter as if they hadn't their private chauffeur, cooks, secretaries, cell phones, computers, vehicles, everything paid for by taxpayers. So, let taxpayers decide!

It is not like the governor in Phoenix is gonna listen to her claims anyway.

What about if the Native americans refuse to speak English and just wanna talk their original American languages?
Rom Knee

Omaha, NE

#3 Aug 19, 2012
Aned337 wrote:
<quoted text>
Honest people is what we need, people with values. Most likely more than 95 percent of her constituents speak her language, so if we really care about having a government for the people and by the people who cares about her language skills if the people of San Luis want her in their government. In Puerto Rico everyone speaks Spanish anyway, so i won't be the first time.
They worry about her having an interpreter as if they hadn't their private chauffeur, cooks, secretaries, cell phones, computers, vehicles, everything paid for by taxpayers. So, let taxpayers decide!
It is not like the governor in Phoenix is gonna listen to her claims anyway.
What about if the Native americans refuse to speak English and just wanna talk their original American languages?
Your thinking supports the problem, not the solution.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#4 Aug 19, 2012
Rom Knee wrote:
<quoted text>Your thinking supports the problem, not the solution.
It should be up to the community whether or not they want her in their council and without any government interference.

Shame on that mayor that is depriving his own people of participating in their own government. That shouldn't be the job of a mayor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law (Apr '10) May 25 Agents of Corruption 193,320
News Facing $1 billion deficit, Arizona sharply limi... May 21 indict DOV ZAKHEIM 1
News I'm running again in 2016, my friends May 18 Tazo 1
billings amn antonio carroll strange arrested f... May 8 Montana News 1
News State holds unclaimed property - and it can be ... May 6 TheMissingMoneyLady 1
News A piece of paper that means the world May 1 ILLEGAL A-HOLE 127
News Unbelievable police dashcam footage captures mo... Apr '15 NEWSFLASH!!! 7
More from around the web