Chuck Hagel is hot - John McCain is not

Chuck Hagel is hot - John McCain is not

There are 35 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 16, 2007, titled Chuck Hagel is hot - John McCain is not. In it, Newsday reports that:

It's official: Chuck Hagel is the new John McCain, getting the glowing treatment from glam publications such as GQ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rob

Woodbridge, VA

#23 Jan 31, 2007
Two concepts noted here that are taken as self-evident truths, but are just plain wrong:

First, the implied notion that "anti-war" means "liberal" means "New York or Los Angeles". This line of thought is exactly what lost the Republicans control of both houses of Congress. They misunderstood how sour the bulk of the country had turned on the war -- not just liberals, but moderate Democrats, independents, and the bulk of all but the most hard-lined of conservative Republicans. It's the main reason Tester won in Montana and Brown won in Ohio and Webb won in Virginia.

Second, the whole 'liberal media' concept really needs to get thrown out. The so-called liberal media, like the New York Times, the Washington Post, and CBS News hold a large chunk of the responsibility for the mess in which we find ourselves in Iraq. The complacent reporting of the Administration's deceptive statements as facts, without offering any critical context to the assertions, led a large portion of the country to believe in the boogeymen of "WMDs", "Imminent Threats", "Smoking Gun - Mushroom Clouds", "Yellowcake Uranium", "Aluminum Tubes", and, of course, "Material support to Terrorists". With these so-called 'liberal' lapdogs at their beck and call, the President was free to stick us into a war we cannot win, and only with a great amount of diplomacy and care (skills the Administration dearly lacks) can we walk away not out-and-out losers.

If McCain wants to follow in these footsteps, he does so at the peril of his political career.
freethink

Brooklyn, NY

#24 Jan 31, 2007
Dude, You have it all wrong. It's not McCain's position on the war, nor his kissing up to Bush that has made him irrelevant. It's that he has jumped off his own "straight talk express" and become inauthentic. And voters can smellinauthenticity across the country. Dole may have been cranky, but that was the real Vov Dole, sense of humor and all. But he was authentic.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#25 Jan 31, 2007
Chuck hagel is the new John Kerry
Kat

Omaha, NE

#26 Feb 1, 2007
Hagel is telling the truth, that is why the GOP is so upset with him. It has been so long that a Republican stood up to this administration that most are scared to, even when the November election sent a very strong message that we the people are tired of the lies, the handouts to the rich, the CEO's who are making 400 times more then the average worker in this country. We are tired of our jobs going over seas and the 20 million illegals in our country keeping wages low, using our school system, our benefits, food stamps, heat assistance, WIC, medical etc. We want big changes and I'm sure that the GOP doesn't have a chance in 08 except on immigration and they can't get together on that. I want the Democrats to stand up and do something about illegals when they get Bush and Chenny out. I just can't believe that they don't start investigating all the lies and illegal wire tapping the signing statments that says he can do what he wants. It's like he seems to think that he is a dictator not just one third of a share of our government. It is about time that we become a democracy do away with the electrial college and let the people vote for who they want and let the majority rule.

“Sierra Vista Local for 25yrs.”

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Feb 1, 2007
I’m really shocked you liberals don’t like JM. We conservatives really can’t stand him as we believe he really should join your sorry ranks. And don’t believe Hillary is leaning right either – we don’t.

How ‘bout we trade? You take that Kennedy loving, Clinton smooching McCain and we’ll take Lieberman off your hands? Deal?

Oh and good luck electing a woman or black man in 2008. We applaud your efforts and wish you well. Get a real platform other than “Hate Bushy” and you might give us a real run of it.
Tomorrow

Burlington, VT

#28 Feb 1, 2007
I Have His Wallet wrote:
Hagel is a weenie and has zero chance at the White House! He is no Republican and certainly no conservative. Chuck - do us all a favor and switch sides like Jeffords. We know why you won't, because like Mike Bloomberg you are avoiding the crowded and confusing mess of candidates on the left - not that your voting record would look any different than theirs.
Weenie...what kind of word is that to use to make a point? You sound like a second grader having a war of words in the play yard. I'm a conservative Republican but I agree with Hagel we have some rotten apples in the White House representing our party and it is time to dump them out before they destroy our whole Nation. AND the Republican party doesn't need people like you representing them when all you can do is call names...Grow Up!
I Have His Wallet

United States

#29 Feb 1, 2007
Tomorrow wrote:
<quoted text>
Weenie...what kind of word is that to use to make a point? You sound like a second grader having a war of words in the play yard. I'm a conservative Republican but I agree with Hagel we have some rotten apples in the White House representing our party and it is time to dump them out before they destroy our whole Nation. AND the Republican party doesn't need people like you representing them when all you can do is call names...Grow Up!
Sorry I offended you - however if you look at Hagel's voting record, he is nothing more than a RINO. By the way - "Weenie" is among some of the more polite language you will find on this website. Now let's talk about you - no way you are a Conservative Republican - most likely you are a Lib posing as a Republican in attempt to confuse those Republicans who are not sure on their position on the issues. A true conservativce would not waste time chastising fellow conservatives on silly things like benign name calling. Now go back behind the counter "Barista" and get me a black coffee - not a latte - coffee. By the way, hope your Art History degree helps you maximize your tips - weenie!!!
Tomorrow

Burlington, VT

#30 Feb 1, 2007
I Have His Wallet wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I offended you - however if you look at Hagel's voting record, he is nothing more than a RINO. By the way - "Weenie" is among some of the more polite language you will find on this website. Now let's talk about you - no way you are a Conservative Republican - most likely you are a Lib posing as a Republican in attempt to confuse those Republicans who are not sure on their position on the issues. A true conservativce would not waste time chastising fellow conservatives on silly things like benign name calling. Now go back behind the counter "Barista" and get me a black coffee - not a latte - coffee. By the way, hope your Art History degree helps you maximize your tips - weenie!!!
Sorry I probably am more conservative than you I just despise Bush. I have a lovely home in Fairfield County all paid for free and clear and retired on a very comfortable income not beating the bushes like you. I never said I would vote for Hagel, I would really love to see Rudy in the White House. You are also correct about some of the language on these post and I was an Art Major...good guess.
Tomorrow

Burlington, VT

#31 Feb 1, 2007
I Have His Wallet wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost forgot I never drank a latte my coffe is also always black.
I Have His Wallet

United States

#32 Feb 1, 2007
Tomorrow wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost forgot I never drank a latte my coffe is also always black.
OK - We are mostly on the same side. Hope you are enjoying retirement! I am doing well, but I am very concerned that my income tax is going to go way up. He's no Ronald Reagan, but I still kind of like GWB! I shudder to think of what Gore and/or Kerry would have done by now.

“paleo-conservati ve”

St Louis, MO

#33 Feb 1, 2007
Bush and his neo-conservatives are a study in how far left the Republicans in DC have come.
Bob Hornaday

Charlotte, NC

#34 Feb 1, 2007
No one "wins" a Purple Heart. It is automatically awarded to those wounded through enemy action. The only question is whether the injury is serious enough to be considered a combat wound. John Kerry apparently lobbied doctors for a Purple Heart and got one for a scratch that needed only a band aid.
DrNeenan

Chapel Hill, NC

#35 Feb 3, 2007
Roxy1 wrote:
These are illegals also.
Can a good Muslim be a good American?
I sent that question to a friend who worked in Saudi Arabia for
20 years.
The following is his reply:
Theologically - no. Because his allegiance is to Allah, the
moon god of Arabia.
Religiously - no. Because no other religion is accepted by his
Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)
Scripturally - no. Because his allegiance is to the five
pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).
Geographically - no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.
Socially - no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to
make friends with Christians or Jews. Politically - no. Because he must submit to the mullah
(spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and Destruction of
America, the great Satan.
Domestically - no. Because he is instructed to marry four women
and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran 4:34).
Intellectually - no. Because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.
Philosophically - no. Because Islam, Muhammad, and the Quran do
not allow freedom of religion and expression. Democracy and Islam cannot co-exist. Every Muslim government is either dictatorial or autocratic Spiritually - no. Because when we declare "one nation under God," the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah is NEVER referred to
as heavenly father, nor is he ever called love in The Quran's 99 excellent names. Therefore after much study and deliberation....perhaps we
should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country. They obviously
cannot be both "good" Muslims and good Americans.
Call it what you wish....it's still the truth.
This kind of bigotry manages to rear its head everytime someone who is different from the evangelical so-called Christian fundamentalist runs for office in the USA. If not against Catholics, then against Muslims, Agnostics, Mormons, etc. Same old, same old....

“ all things considered”

Since: Dec 06

London ,Ky.

#36 Feb 3, 2007
IM HIPP wrote:
Hagel is a stealth DEMOCRAT and a FRAUD.
I saw McCain when asked if HILLARY would make a
good President he answered "YES". What a KISS-
ASS.I Respect all VETS but that does not mean
they all have good ideas.I will not vote for
McCain just for that BUTT-STUPID answer.
Terrorists would be soooooooo scared of HILLARY.
What is she going to do throw a LAMP at them?
Believe it mite have been a ash tray .Hagel is a frog on a hot rock , he's liable to jump any direction .
fatbacks x

Seattle, WA

#37 Jan 23, 2013
Michael Russell wrote:
That is a silly premise--the flighty media is sooo fickle. Couldn't it have something to do with McCain uttering hypocritical statements that contradict himself? Or querilously asking his handlers whether he had "fixed" statements that seemed to grant recognition to homosexual rights? Or the fact that 8 years later, he is the oldest guy to mount a serious run? Older even than Ronald Reagan was? Nah, it must be the media.
The media is more interested in you buying their advertisers placebo pills that may make you crap purple carpet tacks unless you TELL your doctor that you're looking foreward to that experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
awakened changes state Nov 24 anonymous 2
Horror hills Nov 23 Someone 1
whit Nov 23 anonymous 3
Donald Trump for President Nov 21 1HappyPerv 11
elector votes Nov 18 kyman 1
News Dealt a body blow, atheists and humanists regroup Nov 16 Amused 1
News Court wants to hustle up DUI cases (Feb '06) Nov 15 Concerned 90
More from around the web