Dry Counties
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Carter

United States

#1 May 31, 2006
I've just recently moved to Northwest Arkansas and i am loving my new surroundings. I understand that most of the counties up here are 'dry'(no alcohol) and i'm curious if there has been any talks as to changing this. I realize this is in the bible belt, but does alcohol play that bad of a roll in this area that it is still being banned for sale?
Jay

Galesburg, IL

#2 May 31, 2006
Carter wrote:
I've just recently moved to Northwest Arkansas and i am loving my new surroundings. I understand that most of the counties up here are 'dry'(no alcohol) and i'm curious if there has been any talks as to changing this. I realize this is in the bible belt, but does alcohol play that bad of a roll in this area that it is still being banned for sale?
Even if you are in a "dry" county you are still not far from a county that does sell alcohol. Also, even "dry" counties have private clubs that only cost a minimal price for membership and you can buy liqour by the drink. It has been an issue that has been discussed for years, some counties think "dry" counties are a good idea, others don't. Of course there are pros and cons and I will not take sides. Just enjoy Arkansas. If you are in Benton County you are not too far from the Missouri state line and liquor is cheaper there anyway.
blah blah blah

Phoenix, AZ

#3 May 31, 2006
well we are a dry county and its dumb because if someones going to drink they just go to the next county and get it bring it back its not going to reduce drinking and driving to have a dry county now as long as there's not a liquor store on every corner its alright with me...
mari -stpaularkansas

Elkins, AR

#4 Jun 1, 2006
blah blah blah wrote:
well we are a dry county and its dumb because if someones going to drink they just go to the next county and get it bring it back its not going to reduce drinking and driving to have a dry county now as long as there's not a liquor store on every corner its alright with me...
If it does become wet ther will be a liquor store on every corner. Then they have teenagers drinking and all that all over again. its sad
Patrick

Summit, MS

#5 Jun 1, 2006
mari -stpaularkansas wrote:
<quoted text>
If it does become wet ther will be a liquor store on every corner. Then they have teenagers drinking and all that all over again. its sad
Even if liquor stores were on every corner how does that promote teen drinking? They have to show ID to buy. I live in Saline County and can assure you that the dry county laws do not help. They reduce city and county revenues and encourage people to commute longer distance with alcohol.
blah blah blah

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Jun 1, 2006
<quoted text>
teens are gonna be teens there still going to have access to liquor anyway it goes u may not understand that jonesboro is the bible belt and they wont tolerate a liquor store on every corner its not going to prevent teens from drinking
mari -stpaularkansas

Elkins, AR

#7 Jun 2, 2006
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if liquor stores were on every corner how does that promote teen drinking? They have to show ID to buy. I live in Saline County and can assure you that the dry county laws do not help. They reduce city and county revenues and encourage people to commute longer distance with alcohol.
Teens find a way to buy booze through other people. I know that dry counties do not help. Ive been there and know how it goes. It sure doesnt help when some parents drink with their kids and their friends thats encouraging it to me
mari -stpaularkansas

Elkins, AR

#8 Jun 2, 2006
blah blah blah wrote:
<quoted text> teens are gonna be teens there still going to have access to liquor anyway it goes u may not understand that jonesboro is the bible belt and they wont tolerate a liquor store on every corner its not going to prevent teens from drinking
The bible wont stop people from building a liquor store on every corner. and yes teens will be teens but it is up to us parents to help them
Trickster

Little Rock, AR

#9 Jun 2, 2006
The Constitution guarantees the right to be as ignorant as you can be... Let us all have dry counties so people can get drunk elsewhere and drive home and kill all the Religious Zealots in Dry Counties!.. Isn't that just great! Amen
blah blah blah

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jun 2, 2006
<quoted text>
The bible wont stop people from building a liquor store on every corner. and yes teens will be teens but it is up to us parents to help them
yeah parents can try and help but the time comes when they will take a shot or drink a beer there are very few teens who haven't taken a sip of alcohol we can do all we can to help but the day will come when they have tofind out what its like
Lonzo Spooner

United States

#11 Jun 3, 2006
Branson Bootleggers haul booze every day of the week to Northwest Arkansas Dry counties. These Branson Bootleggers are getting richer everyday too. They make their regular runs in legitimate business trucks with 'bootleg whiskey' hidden in a safe place til they make their drop in places like Omaha,Harrison,West Fork,Belfonte and Yellville.
ha--ha

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Jun 3, 2006
exactly
Trapper

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Jun 3, 2006
I am sure the dry counties are doing so well they can just pass up those tax dollars. Thats OK the next county can use them. COme to Conway COunty. We need some new roads
John Ashcroft Herschend

United States

#14 Jun 4, 2006
Lonzo Spooner wrote:
Branson Bootleggers haul booze every day of the week to Northwest Arkansas Dry counties. These Branson Bootleggers are getting richer everyday too. They make their regular runs in legitimate business trucks with 'bootleg whiskey' hidden in a safe place til they make their drop in places like Omaha,Harrison,West Fork,Belfonte and Yellville.
Yes I am quite familar with most all of the Branson Bootleggers who haul hard liquor & beer to dry counties in Northwest Arkansas like Boone County which is Harrison. This has been going on for 30 to 50 years and the law has not caught them yet.The only thing that will stop a Branson Bootlegger is for Arkansas people to vote gambling and liquor in this fall when it comes up on the ballot. Legalized Gambling will surely pass this time and here comes Legal Booze also !
Thank You.
Bob

Randolph, NJ

#15 Jun 4, 2006
Teens will drink thats a given. Having a dry county will oly make them drive further. I am not a advocate for teenage driking but there comes a time when you have to ask yourself, is it safer to have them close to home.
sam

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Jun 4, 2006
Bob wrote:
Teens will drink thats a given. Having a dry county will oly make them drive further. I am not a advocate for teenage driking but there comes a time when you have to ask yourself, is it safer to have them close to home.
it dosent matter if its wet or dry close or far they want it they'll get it
shorty

United States

#17 Jun 10, 2006
the teen population is going to get liquor by any means they can thinkof---i mean come on people we did it to---but being dry doesn't matter like said in a post at the top---i live in rogers and i can be at mac a dodles(i think i spelled that right) in less than 20 min.---dry wet--no matter---i just wish there was a way to cut down on the drinking and driving ---cause thats bad jewjew(not good)
my opinion

Blytheville, AR

#18 Jun 11, 2006
Ya'll proberly dont want to know what I think, but I'm going to tell you anyways. They SHOULD take out all bars, liquor stores ,anywhere that sells liquor and that will cut down on all the drunks that drive on our roads and kill our family members . And believe me I know how it feels to lose a family members due to some drunk stupid ass who killed my brother, sister-in-law and their new born baby they were on their way home from the hospital after she had the baby.And you know what the drunk driver got , he got 6 months of probation ,community service and had to go to a year of AA meetings and thats all he got NOW tell me is that right , HELL NO its NOT!
Redd

Garland, TX

#19 Jun 11, 2006
How about this try lowering the drinking age to 18 and make every county wet. I do not tend to agree with europe on to much but they do not have the problems we do with alchool ever wonder why? Now ask your self why you drink when you were groing up? If you look at the facts you will find out some intersting facts. and as far as i can tell if you make it legal and readily avable to teens it tends not to be as much fun to do.
KrunK KittY

Ellijay, GA

#20 Jun 11, 2006
Carter wrote:
That sucks. Ga is dry on sundays and they got one town that stops selling at like 9 pm and doesnt start again untill like 11 am. Dry counties suck...bible thumbers dont like it so they gots to ruin it for everyone else. it's a b*tch aint it, thinking that are stopping sh*t by not selling beer. LoL ya got more than just people drinking beer. b*tchin and poppin off about alcohol...isnt that legal? what about all the drugs in the towns and steets, yes you even have them in your holy land. why complain about beer drinkers...think about your little crack heads who runnin around all geeked and starting sh*t, ya done took their beer away so now what else you got to blame sh*t for what people do. beer nor drugs make your kids go out shooting their classmates or robbing stores and stealin sh*t 4 a piece or make them gather their little buddies into his truck and then run over some kid because you didnt like something he said or did. maybe if you quit kissing your kids a$$es and broke yo foot off up in it they would change. so stop blaming all their sh*t on beer n drugs, try something besides preaching to them because obviously they are not listening to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arkansas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 10 hr Guest 38,371
Men Jul 20 Eyes 1
News Our growth story Jul 4 Fat As Liz 29
News It's a runoff for District 17 state senate seat (Oct '14) Jul 4 Longrod JOHN Long... 3
News Lawyers' delegates to vote on ballot issue Jun 30 History Lesson 7
News Democratic legislator hopes scandal won't curb ... Jun '17 Citizen 13
News Comey says he was fired because of Russia inves... Jun '17 spud 38
More from around the web