Postal service removes "IN GOD WE TRUST" Senator Lincoln wants full time Purple heart Stamp

May 16, 2008 Full story: www.topix.com 27

LINCOLN CALLS ON POSTAL SERVICE TO ISSUE PURPLE HEART STAMP ON A PERMANENT BASIS Senators Praise Postal Service for Reissuance of Stamp at 42-Cent Rate. On the Flip side, You may have heard in the news that the Post Office has been forced to take down small posters that say "IN GOD WE TRUST " The law, they say, is being violated.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Gillett, Arkansas

#1 May 16, 2008
As a Veteran of 2 wars, I am disgusted how they try to cheapen our Veterans Sacrifices. First to remove our National Motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" then to have a Politician to make stamps honoring our BEST and Finest to be associated with a Godless Service is something I cant side with.

As a Veteran I have an interim solution. Let the Purple Heart Veterans go to the Post Office and lower, retire and hold in trust our American Flag until the postal service announces it will honor our Coutries Motto.
"IN GOD WE TRUST)

Also as a show of support, please put IN GOD WE TRUST on all your mail, front and back.

Since: Mar 08

Gillett, Arkansas

#2 May 16, 2008
New Stamp Series Will Observe Chinese New Year
Year of the Rat Stamp Kicks Off Series That Runs Through 2019
What:
In observance of the Chinese New Year, the U.S. Postal Service will debut a new stamp series for the 12 different animals in the Chinese calendar. The series will continue through 2019. The first stamp in the series is for the Year of the Rat, which begins Feb. 7, 2008 and ends Jan. 25, 2009.

Since: Mar 08

Gillett, Arkansas

#3 May 16, 2008
If you research this , you will see many calling it a hoax and a chain mail sent by an extreme wacko right winger and probably a Christian to Boot. This is the work of the Atheists and others who I will just call the Satan deception Squad.
But ask the Post Office directly and you will get what I did. Policy doesn't permit handbills. This is a convenient way to pick and choose, while it is alright to promote the year of the Chineese Rat. Ask this, will you see a stamp with our Motto on it?
Louie

Weston, CT

#4 Jul 9, 2008
Harvey Edwards wrote:
As a Veteran of 2 wars, I am disgusted how they try to cheapen our Veterans Sacrifices. First to remove our National Motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" then to have a Politician to make stamps honoring our BEST and Finest to be associated with a Godless Service is something I cant side with.
As a Veteran I have an interim solution. Let the Purple Heart Veterans go to the Post Office and lower, retire and hold in trust our American Flag until the postal service announces it will honor our Coutries Motto.
"IN GOD WE TRUST)
Also as a show of support, please put IN GOD WE TRUST on all your mail, front and back.
I just purchased a stamp for this very purpose, cost $9.50.. will share design with all who want it... I also put an American Flag and Statue of Liberty alongside.
Doubting Thomas

United States

#5 Jul 15, 2008
So which god do you trust? I think the answer will
vary with the person that you ask. Plus there are
those Americans that will say there isn't a god.
So it seems that Ms. Lincoln is doing her job by
serving ALL of her constituents with the removal of
the In god We Trust poster, because not ALL
Americans do. Was that poster your personal
exercise? I mean did you place it there as a way
of expressing yourself through your religion? If
not, then you have nothing to worry about because
the action of removing the poster did not infringe
on your practice of religion, and in fact it may
have helped some of the other believers and
non-believers feel a bit less alienated.
So let's thank Ms. Lincoln for doing the right
thing.
elaine

Paragould, AR

#6 Jul 17, 2008
blanche lincoln needs to be impeached out of office because she is not representing the christian people. our founding fathers founded this country on "in God we trust" and it is unbelievers like her who are taking our heritage away. christians who remain silent will pay the price.....
elaine

Paragould, AR

#7 Jul 17, 2008
oh, christians, i will let blanche lincoln know how wrong she is to tamper with "in God we trust" and you would do good to do the same.....
So Wrong

United States

#8 Jul 17, 2008
People need to look back and see how they got here and everything.

Since: Mar 08

Gillett, Arkansas

#9 Aug 9, 2008
Doubting Thomas wrote:
So which god do you trust? I think the answer will
vary with the person that you ask. Plus there are
those Americans that will say there isn't a god.
So it seems that Ms. Lincoln is doing her job by
serving ALL of her constituents with the removal of
the In god We Trust poster, because not ALL
Americans do. Was that poster your personal
exercise? I mean did you place it there as a way
of expressing yourself through your religion? If
not, then you have nothing to worry about because
the action of removing the poster did not infringe
on your practice of religion, and in fact it may
have helped some of the other believers and
non-believers feel a bit less alienated.
So let's thank Ms. Lincoln for doing the right
thing.
I believe in the one God. I believe in The Constitution that was divinely guided by God. I believe in Every States Constitution that ALL begin by Blessing God as the Power within the Constitutions. EVERY STATE look it up. I believe that those who want to remove the Republics motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" are in fact anti American and are wanting Socialism. I also believe they are winning.

So Christians, its up to you. Remember too that you have the backing of every Constitution written in the USA is divinely blessed by God in the original. That comes from a time when we understood that we thanked God for every day and every thing we got.

It may sound political now but its not. Find a Constitutionalist this year running for Office and Vote for him or her

Yes I do Support Chuck Baldwin for President because of his 100% pro-life stand. And his plan to close our Borders on day one in Office.
http://home.earthlink.net/~harveywards/consti...

I don't see how any preacher or christian will be spared for not speaking up loudly for the souls yet unborn.
Harrisburg

Jonesboro, AR

#10 Aug 10, 2008
That is what is wrong with this country now, People want to God out of everthing, they have forgotten this country was founded on Christian values, the constituiton was wrote by Christian Men, When this country started taking GOD out, look at the results, Our Schools, Our goverment.
For ever action there is a reaction and a punishment, and if we keep on this road, there will be a punishment for taking GOD out of our country. Christian are going to have to step up and protest this and put our Christian values back in place. This country was in better condition years ago, but GOD was in every aspect of it. and it showed.....
Right to choose

United States

#11 Aug 11, 2008
Our country was founded on separation of Church and State, why is it that people seem to forget that? Also, most of our founding fathers questioned the very existence of God. If you choose to believe in God or not is irrelevant however, when it is forced upon those who do not believe then it is wrong. Everyone is entitled to believe how they choose - that is the way it was intended to be from the beginning. Freedom of religion or lack thereof. It is difficult for most Christians to understand this concept as most seem to feel that Christianity is the only religion available. The beliefs and actions of some are not the beliefs and actions of all!
Harrisburg wrote:
That is what is wrong with this country now, People want to God out of everthing, they have forgotten this country was founded on Christian values, the constituiton was wrote by Christian Men, When this country started taking GOD out, look at the results, Our Schools, Our goverment.
For ever action there is a reaction and a punishment, and if we keep on this road, there will be a punishment for taking GOD out of our country. Christian are going to have to step up and protest this and put our Christian values back in place. This country was in better condition years ago, but GOD was in every aspect of it. and it showed.....

Since: Aug 08

Lake Charles, LA

#12 Aug 11, 2008
Right to choose wrote:
Our country was founded on separation of Church and State, why is it that people seem to forget that? Also, most of our founding fathers questioned the very existence of God. If you choose to believe in God or not is irrelevant however, when it is forced upon those who do not believe then it is wrong. Everyone is entitled to believe how they choose - that is the way it was intended to be from the beginning. Freedom of religion or lack thereof. It is difficult for most Christians to understand this concept as most seem to feel that Christianity is the only religion available. The beliefs and actions of some are not the beliefs and actions of all!
<quoted text>
Wow, I guess you never read any American history, nor any of this great country's founding documents. The truth is that most of the founding fathers of this nation did indeed believe in God. Some were Deists, but many were Christians. We see many references to God in the Declaration of Independence. We find a bible verse inscribed on the Liberty Bell. We find the Ten Commandments posted in the Supreme Court building in Washington D.C. Every session of Congress begins with a prayer.

No our country was not "founded on separation of church and state" as you claim, but rather on freedom of religion, among other things. It's true that our Constitution outlaws a state church such as England had. But it also guarantees freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Get your facts straight sir.
Nailed

Humansville, MO

#13 Aug 12, 2008
You can't have freedom of religion in a nation where christianity is rammed down your throat.
America 1st, this isn't the first time I've seen you insult someones historical knowledge. You seem familiar with the words although I believe you lack the capacity to comprehend them. Of course those with blind faith have no need for free thought.
America was NOT founded on christianity. A majority of the most influential founding fathers were either deists or unitarian. And our country was not founded on separation of church and state, nor was it founded on freedom of religion. It was founded on Freedom and Independence. The Constitution makes no mention of god or jesus, and this was done on purpose as the founders were well aware of the threats posed by religious/state entanglement; it's what gave the world Kings with "divine right."
The Declaration of Independence is exactly that, Americas declaration of independence from Great Britain. It lists grievances with GB that no longer hold today. It observes that our rights are secured by governments instituted among MEN. The Declaration says nothing about our rights secured by Christianity.
Keeping religion separate allows atheists and religionists alike, to practice their belief systems, regardless how ridiculous they may seem, without government intervention. Freedom of religion IS freedom from religion.
People are not out to ban god and religion from American society or take god out of everything. We just want to make room for other thoughts and beliefs. For some reason this insults you and scares you to death.

Since: Aug 08

Lake Charles, LA

#14 Aug 13, 2008
Nailed,

You posted,“You can't have freedom of religion in a nation where christianity is rammed down your throat.”
It’s not. You’re free in this country to be an atheist if that is your choice.

“America 1st, this isn't the first time I've seen you insult someones historical knowledge.”
It’s not an insult. Right to choose made an error of fact and I corrected him.

“You seem familiar with the words although I believe you lack the capacity to comprehend them.”
This is a petty cowardly personal insult that has no place in this conversation.

“America was NOT founded on christianity.”
I agree with you. However, it is simply error to claim that the founders of this country questioned the existence of God, as Right to choose stated in his post. As I posted before, many were deists, a view that was popular in that day, and many were Christians. And while they did not want a repeat of a state run religion like that in England, they did recognize the existence of God, His endowment of men with certain inalienable rights, His providence, and freedom of religion.

“The Constitution makes no mention of god or jesus…”
While this is true, don’t discount the fact that the Declaration of Independence does indeed mention God several times. Perhaps these phrases will refresh your memory:
“…laws of nature and of nature’s God…”
“..all men are created equal…”
“…they are endowed by their creator…”
“…appeal to the supreme judge of the world…”
“…a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence…”
Also, one can scarcely read the historical record, the biographies and writings of the great men who led our country to independence and not see that many were devout religious men who believed in God. The whole idea that atheists founded this country is laughable.

“Declaration says nothing about our rights secured by Christianity.”
No one has claimed it did.

“Freedom of religion IS freedom from religion.”
Actually it’s not. In this country you have the right to worship God as your conscience dictates, or not to worship Him at all. However, that doesn’t mean you have the right to exist in this country without at least observing the influence that religion has on society. IOW, you don’t have the right to have every vestige of religion removed from public view (freedom FROM religion).

“For some reason this insults you and scares you to death.”
No, I’m insulted by petty cowardly personal insults that are nothing more than an attempt to move the discussion away from the topic at hand. Ad hominem attacks are the last refuge of the debater who has no ammunition nor debating skills.
Nailed

Humansville, MO

#15 Aug 13, 2008
What I mean by having it rammed down our throats is that christians are always so forceful. People are always being told "you NEED to go to church!", "You NEED to let jesus into your heart!" Christianity is taught to give the impression that there is no positive alternative, basically saying that hell is inevitable for all non-christians. Christians seem to believe that if you're not one of them, you're doing the devils work. It's almost as if you get blackballed by the christian community, which is the majority around here. So...
America 1st wrote:
You’re free in this country to be an atheist if that is your choice.

To me freedom of religion goes beyond legality. I feel the need to post anonymously on religious topics because I'm self employed.
I'm honest in my work. I'm good at what I do. I'm academically trained and certified. I have years of experience and I've worked with some highly reputable people in my field.
BUT….
Let me expand on one of the phrases you posted from the Declaration;
" All men are created equal" meaning that we are all born with abilities of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Many would judge and distrust my work skills based on my lifestyle and beliefs alone. I would get no business. I see that as an obstruction of my right to the pursuit of happiness. Of course this would be hard to prove.
Although it is of great moral value, there are no laws in America that say you have to be nice to anyone. However in the bible it does say “Love thy neighbor.” not “Love thy neighbor unless he believes differently than you.”
I know that though a minute few were skeptical, our founders DID recognize the existence of god, but deist and unitarians are not christians by definition.(refer to top of post)
Moreover, the mentioning of God in the Declaration does not necessarily mean the personal god of christianity. Thomas Jefferson who held deist beliefs, wrote the majority of the Declaration which describes "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God." This nature's view of God agrees with deist philosophy and might even appeal to those of pantheistical beliefs, but any attempt to use the Declaration as a support for Christianity fails for this reason alone.
Nailed

Humansville, MO

#16 Aug 13, 2008
America 1st wrote:
The whole idea that atheists founded this country is laughable.
LOL, I never said that, and I agree with you.(BTW, I’m not an atheist.)
America 1st wrote:
This is a petty cowardly personal insult that has no place in this conversation.
America 1st wrote:
I’m insulted by petty cowardly personal insults that are nothing more than an attempt to move the discussion away from the topic at hand. Ad hominem attacks are the last refuge of the debater who has no ammunition nor debating skills.
Though put harshly this was not intended as a personal insult, but I do believe that when you read history, you interpret it from a christian point of view and having christian faith, you see no need to look further. I think blind faith is for people who do not think clearly, realistically, freely or question reason. Hardly ad hominem, this is a popular concept and while aimed a you, it pertains to all christians. No ammunition?? Your defensive arguments and misconceptions feed my arsenal.
In addition, this isn’t off topic at all. Read further.
America 1st wrote:
you don’t have the right to have every vestige of religion removed from public view (freedom FROM religion).
(I realize now that what you meant was not how I took it. I was referring to the phrase as “freedom to be without religion.” or…to not be religious.)
Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof……I know that “In God We Trust” is a motto of American culture, but I don’t think many christians would appreciate a big wiccan or neo-pagan poster reading “Come praise The Goddess: Mother Earth!!” hanging right next to the one that says “ In God We Trust.” Or perhaps and atheist poster reading “In God We Have No Trust.” or “The Bible Is A Lie!” Maybe Judaism…“Jesus Shmesus, Wait Til The real Messiah Comes!“
Those would be ripped down and probably burned. I guess for some freedom of religion may very well be freedom FROM religion. It just depends on who’s religion we’re talking about. This double standard is the only problem I have with “In God We Trust.
Nailed

Humansville, MO

#17 Aug 13, 2008
America 1st wrote:
The whole idea that atheists founded this country is laughable.
LOL, I never said that, and I agree with you.(BTW, I’m not an atheist.)
America 1st wrote:
This is a petty cowardly personal insult that has no place in this conversation.
America 1st wrote:
I’m insulted by petty cowardly personal insults that are nothing more than an attempt to move the discussion away from the topic at hand. Ad hominem attacks are the last refuge of the debater who has no ammunition nor debating skills.
Though put harshly this was not intended as a personal insult, but I do believe that when you read history, you interpret it from a christian point of view and having christian faith, you see no need to look further. I think blind faith is for people who do not think clearly, realistically, freely or question reason. Hardly ad hominem, this is a popular concept and while aimed a you, it pertains to all christians. No ammunition?? Your defensive arguments and misconceptions feed my arsenal.
In addition, this isn’t off topic at all. Read further.
America 1st wrote:
you don’t have the right to have every vestige of religion removed from public view (freedom FROM religion).
(I realize now that what you meant was not how I took it. I was referring to the phrase as “freedom to be without religion.” or…to not be religious.)
Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof……I know that “In God We Trust” is a motto of American culture, but I don’t think many christians would appreciate a big wiccan or neo-pagan poster reading “Come praise The Goddess: Mother Earth!!” hanging right next to the one that says “ In God We Trust.” Or perhaps and atheist poster reading “In God We Have No Trust.” or “The Bible Is A Lie!” Maybe Judaism…“Jesus Shmesus, Wait Til The real Messiah Comes!“
Those would be ripped down and probably burned. I guess for some freedom of religion may very well be freedom FROM religion. It just depends on who’s religion we’re talking about. This double standard is the only problem I have with “In God We Trust.”
(I apologize for the double post topix went screwy on me)

Since: Mar 08

Gillett, Arkansas

#18 Aug 16, 2008
Heres more to ram down your throat. EVERY States Preamble to the Constitution. I will post a few due to word limits but all States acknowledge God as the Creator. So atheist with a Socialist indoctrination here are the words to choke on.
Alabama
1901, Preamble
We the people of the State of Alabama , invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish the following Constitution..
Alaska
1956, Preamble
We, the people of Alaska , grateful to God and to those who founded our nation and pioneered this great land.
Arizona
1911, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Arizona , grateful to Almighty God for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution…
Arkansas
1874, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Arkansas , grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government…
California
1879, Preamble
We, the People of the State of California , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom…
Colorado
1876, Preamble
We, the people of Colorado , with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of Universe…
Connecticut
1818, Preamble.
The People of Connecticut, acknowledging with gratitude the good Providence of God in permitting them to enjoy.
Delaware
1897, Preamble
Through Divine Goodness all men have, by nature, the rights of worshiping and serving their Creator according to the dictates of their consciences.
Florida
1885, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Florida , grateful to Almighty God for our constitutional liberty, establish this Constitution…
Georgia
1777, Preamble
We, the people of Georgia , relying upon protection and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish this Constitution…
Hawaii
1959, Preamble
We , the people of Hawaii , Grateful for Divine Guidance … Establish this Constitution.
Idaho
1889, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Idaho , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings.
Illinois
1870, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Illinois, grateful to Almighty God for the civil , political and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.
Indiana
1851, Preamble
We, the People of the State of Indiana , grateful to Almighty God for the free exercise of the right to choose our form of government.
Iowa
1857, Preamble
We, the People of the St ate of Iowa , grateful to the Supreme Being for the blessings hitherto enjoyed, and feeling our dependence on Him for a continuation of these blessings, establish this Constitution.
Kansas
1859, Preamble
We, the people of Kansas , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious privileges establish this Constitution.
Kentucky
1891, Preamble.
We, the people of the Commonwealth are grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties…
Louisiana
1921, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Louisiana, grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties we enjoy.
Maine
1820, Preamble
We the People of Maine acknowledging with grateful hearts the goodness of the Sovereign Ruler of the Universe in affording us an opportunity .. And imploring His aid and direction.
Maryland
1776, Preamble
We, the people of the state of Maryland, grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberty…

Since: Mar 08

Gillett, Arkansas

#19 Aug 16, 2008
Arkansas
1874, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Arkansas , grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government…

This will be my honor to uphold as I am running for State Representative in the Great State of Arkansas. I am a Constitutionalist, A form of Government that was surely and undeniably the Party of All thos who signed our Constitution.

http://home.earthlink.net/~harveywards/index....
My God

Le Mars, IA

#20 Aug 17, 2008
Doubting Thomas wrote:
So which god do you trust? I think the answer will
vary with the person that you ask. Plus there are
those Americans that will say there isn't a god.
So it seems that Ms. Lincoln is doing her job by
serving ALL of her constituents with the removal of
the In god We Trust poster, because not ALL
Americans do. Was that poster your personal
exercise? I mean did you place it there as a way
of expressing yourself through your religion? If
not, then you have nothing to worry about because
the action of removing the poster did not infringe
on your practice of religion, and in fact it may
have helped some of the other believers and
non-believers feel a bit less alienated.
So let's thank Ms. Lincoln for doing the right
thing.
Whichever God you choose to worship, FREELY! That's exactly why we became a Democratic Nation.

One Nation, Under God!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arkansas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinton seeks to boost Democrats in Arkansas 58 min barefoot2626 4
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 7 hr Mary 30,032
Who's got your vote in the Arkansas State Land ... 22 hr Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Arkansas State Audit... 22 hr Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Arkansas Secretary o... 22 hr Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Arkansas State Treas... 22 hr Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Arkansas Attorney Ge... 23 hr Topix Polls 0

Arkansas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE