Arkansas Attorney General Rejects Wording of Gay Marriage Repeal

Jul 15, 2013 Full story: EDGE 18

Arkansas' attorney general rejected a proposal Friday to repeal the state constitution's ban on gay marriage, saying the ballot measure's wording could mislead voters into believing it would automatically legalize same-sex unions.

Full Story
Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Jul 15, 2013
This may play well for us
As an Arkansas native; Democratic Attorney General Dustin McDaniel thinks we need to reword the proposal so it has a better chance of passing
He is Episcopal; and only 41 years old; so the Southern Baptist old-age Curse is not in play here
Arkansas has been struggling 'desparately' financially for decades; so our 790 billion annual gay purchasing power would be Arkansas's savior indeed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_money
Get those wedding bells ringing!
Ding-a-ling-ling!

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#2 Jul 15, 2013
Fabulous Rainbow Kid wrote:
This may play well for us
As an Arkansas native; Democratic Attorney General Dustin McDaniel thinks we need to reword the proposal so it has a better chance of passing
He is Episcopal; and only 41 years old; so the Southern Baptist old-age Curse is not in play here
Arkansas has been struggling 'desparately' financially for decades; so our 790 billion annual gay purchasing power would be Arkansas's savior indeed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_money
Get those wedding bells ringing!
Ding-a-ling-ling!
Here is where I got confused. If the iniative's first words had been, this will not legalise SSM only remove the ban against it, are people in Arkansas that intellectually challenged that the words would confuse them?

I hope we get this on the ballot but we must ALSO have a good response when we get challenged on our previous slogan "Voting on civil rights is wrong".

Yes I know that what we've actually been saying is we oppose voting away anyone's civil rights. But when has accuracy ever mattered to the anti-gay industry?

And I know a few people who will get angry with me for bringing this up but I feel we must find a better response to the old child molesting millstone they always try to put around our necks than what we currently use

From my experience quoting facts and figures does little to affect those who tend to vote against us. Instead I feel we must be very clear. We are just as opposed to sex with children as anyone else.

United States

#3 Jul 15, 2013
It's a colossal waste of time. The Amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman was approved by voters with a smashing 75% of the vote.

Even if a the issue somehow makes it to the ballot a second time, Arkansas voters will again support traditional marriage by a landslide.

DNF

#4 Jul 15, 2013
guest wrote:
It's a colossal waste of time. The Amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman was approved by voters with a smashing 75% of the vote.
Even if a the issue somehow makes it to the ballot a second time, Arkansas voters will again support traditional marriage by a landslide.
Still living in 2004? Most folks in Arkansas live in 2013.

Many of you thought you'd defeat SSM in Maryland because you were SURE blacks would support you.

Unlike you I don't think of the people of Arkansas as a bunch of bigots and homophobes.

This will not make SSM legal in Arkansas. Though I know that is what you hope most people will think. All this would do is remove a poorly conceived and discriminatory law from the books in Arkansas.

Then the people can decide again. But you don't want them to vote.
Back in 2004 all you anti gays kept chanting "Let the people decide". Now you oppose following the "Will of the People."

Interesting.

DNF

#5 Jul 15, 2013
The anti gays don't want to listen to the "Will Of The People" now. Instead they want a judge to decide what's best for the people of Arkansas!

We all should Thank "guest' for pointing that out.

DNF

#6 Jul 15, 2013
guest wrote:
Sorry there isn't cheese too go with your whine.

It took your group 8 years to build enough momentum after Congress passed DOMA to pass your DOMA law.

It took the people of Arkansas less that 3 weeks after the SCOTUS decisions to have their voice heard again. No wonder you want that voice silenced.

Why does the WILL OF THE PEOPLE frighten you now when it didn't then? Because most now disagree with you perhaps?

United States

#8 Jul 16, 2013
DNF wrote:
The anti gays don't want to listen to the "Will Of The People" now.
The people of the state of Arkansas have already spoken on this issue, overwhelmingly defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

It's the gay agenda crowd who refuses to listen to the will of the people. It's the gay agenda crowd who is petitioning the courts to overturn the will of the people.

Why don't you worry about what goes on in Ohio and let those of us who live in Arkansas worry about what goes on in our state?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#9 Jul 16, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The people of the state of Arkansas have already spoken on this issue, overwhelmingly defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
It's the gay agenda crowd who refuses to listen to the will of the people. It's the gay agenda crowd who is petitioning the courts to overturn the will of the people.
Why don't you worry about what goes on in Ohio and let those of us who live in Arkansas worry about what goes on in our state?
you may want to rethink that one.
america's history is riddled with "changed minds". our historical examples are that of slavery, women voting, blacks voting, interracial marriage to name just a few off the top of my head.

however, in our system of government, a private u.s. citizen does not get to vote on civil rights - we don't vote on federal amendments. period.

also, if you recall, the 14th amendment guarantees everyone, actually it uses the word ALL when referencing who has access to equal protection and due process under the laws of this nation. and to bring that home to arkansas, there's the supremecy clause in the u.s. constitution that declares that all federal laws, federal treaties and SCOTUS rulings have precedence over all applicable state laws. which is how 7 states lost the battle and had to allow interracial marriages, based upon the ruling in Loving v. Virginia.

perhaps if the utah mormons would've shut up and kept their noses out of the prop 8 election, the whole prop 8 trial wouldn't have occurred. furthermore, aren't arkansas residents also considered american residents? so any gay people living in arkansas would also be considered american as well. obviously, by your sentiment you express here, they need a little help, perhaps even moral support, to keep their eye's on the horizon and to know that help is on the way, relief can be found if we all have patience and persevere and see the cases through. so far, in mose of the 30+ states banning SSM, there are already court cases brought forth by a citizen of that state....so it's not folks from outside of your state that are seeking to change things. it's your neighbors, friends and relatives that seek to change the law. note, i said "law", not "your mind". since, afterall, it's nothing personal. the stance of the laws are not reflective of personal opinions - just because you disagree with a law does not strike it from the books. it's there for the applicable populace (in this case, the homosexual population) to prevail upon the laws and utilize those same 1300+ privileges heterosexuals may enjoy that are bestowed upon heterosexual legal marriages.

DNF

#10 Jul 17, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
OH so what. The people spoke long ago that slavery was OK.

Hell Mississippi still had slave laws on the books till last year.

You want to silence people now. Afraid you aren't the majority you kept insisting you were?

Go peddle your papers elsewhere BOY!

DNF

#11 Jul 17, 2013
guest wrote:
Fine YOU want a colossal waste of time, go ahead. Drag the entire State of Arkansas through years of legal battles over a law SCOTUS has already said violates the US Constitution.

And make sure during elections that you run the same lame Conservative talking points about how liberals want to spend everyone else's money without a plan to pay for it.

DNF

#13 Jul 18, 2013
Gryph wrote:
I don't think Arkansas should legalize child molestation, vote no on gay marriage!!!
That would be great if this was a vote on either one. But it's a vote about appealing a law that can potentially cost the State millions in legal costs and hundreds of thousands of jobs that may decide against coming to the State.

Child molesting is illegal and we plan on keeping it illegal.

DNF

#14 Jul 18, 2013
This proposal removes a ban. It doesn't make anything legal.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#16 Jul 18, 2013
Lenny wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, I don't think homosexuals should be having sex with children in Arkansas.
actually, i don't know of anyone that should be having sex with any child anywhere.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#20 Jul 19, 2013
LOL y'all crack me up with your complete and utter lack of understanding of the differences between being a homosexual and a pedophile.

you might try picking up either a dictionary or better yet, the DSM to educate yourselves.

you might even check out the statistics - most child predators prey upon opposite sexed children....so that makes them straight in your eyes then, doesn't it? when in medical and legal terms, they're still a pedophile.

sheesh. these folks act as if there's no internet or access to google where they are, despite they managed to find their way onto topix and post here.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#22 Jul 19, 2013
The AssTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Fagg@t, educate your own self.
Identify as
That's the famous words Queers use, Identify as. They IDENTIFY AS heterosexuals because they're closet Queers posing as heterosexuals. Not hard to understand. That's why stats don't show any different, because they don't keep stats on closet cases. Most Queers like little boys. They're Queer Pedophiles.
youre funny when you get rattled or angry.

you do realize that's why you're badgered so much up here is for everyone's amusement, sort of like a toy. but you like being a boy-toy, don't you?
(snickers)
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#24 Jul 19, 2013
The AssTroll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you snicker when you want a d!ck up your a:ss? Sorry Fagg@t, go talk to your daddy about that.
so you are rattled and angry. good! that means we're accomplishing our goals.

LOL. we like having a little boy-toy to laugh at.

DNF

#25 Jul 21, 2013
Penny wrote:
<quoted text>I will always vote no on queer marriage for the sake of the innocent, little children.
No one believes you when you ay 'I love with' with a mouth full of lies.

Every story I have seen about child molesting has been a heterosexual molesting children.

Next time someone tells you to put you head between your legs, then yells jump, don't jump again.

DNF

#26 Jul 21, 2013
Children with gay parents 'happier'-
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/love-sex/89...

"Children with gay parents are happier and healthier than kids from the average family, new research shows.

The preliminary findings from the Australian study contradict stereotypes that a family without an obvious dad or mum would harm the children, said lead researcher Dr Simon Crouch.

He said there were a lot of strongly-held beliefs about what a family was, and if people saw something missing then they thought there must be a problem."

IOW the Canadian study the government tried to hide has been confirmed by several nations.

These folks on here who always want to post about sex with children need police monitoring them 24-7.

For the safety of all children!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arkansas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min Uncle Sam 2,167
Who's got your vote in the Arkansas Senate race? 2 hr POPS 88
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 hr Nothing Between Y... 30,408
Convention and Visitors Bureau digital campaign... Dec 12 TriCounty Player 1
Former Arkansas Legislator Hudson Hallum Senten... (Jul '13) Dec 5 Race 52
Legal Marijuana (Jun '14) Dec 3 Zebo 2
Jesus Christ, the Son of God Nov 18 what 3