Melissa Bird

Houghton Lake, MI

#21 Oct 14, 2006
lou wrote:
I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
It must be a blood bath up there!
Alaska is the last frontier, not to be taken lightly they have alot of wildlife that you have to take precautions and carrying a gun is one of them. People are more respectful of others and you will never meet more generous people. It is not a blood bath. Do you realize that there are more people in Detroit than in the entire state of Alaska. Food for thought.
Stuart

Anchorage, AK

#22 Oct 14, 2006
Jessica wrote:
Also...Any advice on the best way to move there. Drive through Canada, take the fairy from Seattle, or sell our stuff and fly?
First of all its ferry not "fairy" and having lived in AK my entire life and growing up just south of Fairbanks in Anderson I would pack your stuff in a uhaul and drive to seattle then ship it via say Lynden transport and fly or drive your car from there through canada as the Alaska Ferry is not cost effective and by the time you ride it to haines to connect to the highway you have been on there three days you could have driven to Fairbanks and for less money and remember after the 3 day boat ride you still have 750 miles to drive
Dave

United States

#23 Nov 30, 2006
I was hoping that someone knows how I could get Stuart to E-Mail me at alaskangiles@yahoo.com

I will be moving into the area in January and was hoping he or someone could give me some guidance.
Thanks Dave, please send copy/paste and send me an e-mail
Stuart wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all its ferry not "fairy" and having lived in AK my entire life and growing up just south of Fairbanks in Anderson I would pack your stuff in a uhaul and drive to seattle then ship it via say Lynden transport and fly or drive your car from there through canada as the Alaska Ferry is not cost effective and by the time you ride it to haines to connect to the highway you have been on there three days you could have driven to Fairbanks and for less money and remember after the 3 day boat ride you still have 750 miles to drive
Jeanie

United States

#24 Dec 1, 2006
Would love if anyone has any input on the school systems there. I have a daughter with multiple disabilities including deafness so I could use as much information as possible, anything would be appreciated. Also, what is the job market like? Would it be difficult to move there and find a job without having one lined up already?
Bruce

Golden Valley, AZ

#25 Dec 2, 2006
I grew up in Alaska, and miss it very much. And for the idiots that think you'll get mauled by a bear or shot by a wild eyed mountain man if you step out of your house....
Well, I sure do miss my igloo up there, and all those raw fish eyes we used to eat, and I really miss going everywhere in our plane or by dog sled, since that's the only modes of transportation, and so on and so forth...
derags

United States

#26 Dec 2, 2006
lou wrote:
I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
You are extremely misinformed. You need to educate yourself. There gun laws have not changed the amount of deaths by gunshots.
Derags

United States

#27 Dec 2, 2006
Dave wrote:
I was hoping that someone knows how I could get Stuart to E-Mail me at alaskangiles@yahoo.com
I will be moving into the area in January and was hoping he or someone could give me some guidance.
Thanks Dave, please send copy/paste and send me an e-mail
<quoted text>
There is also a company call Minalaska and yes it is cheaper to drive. The roads are fine. Pack a cooler and save yourself the food cost. People move in and out of Alaska for many reasons but there always seems to be plenty of moving sales if you do not want to haul everything.
AK Chris

United States

#28 Dec 2, 2006
I live in Fairbanks and we have NO gangs and a very low crime rate because we police ourselves. We are good neighbors. We take care of each other at minus 50 to 90 above. We carry guns because we are free citizens. It's not a "blood bath" up here. I would bet money you don't help out your neighbors and they don't help you. It must be a hard life to depend on the police for your safety and fear the folks around you
Bruce

Golden Valley, AZ

#29 Dec 3, 2006
By the way, in Arizona, it is LEGAL to carry a firearm on your person, if it is in plain sight. There is also the concealed weapon permits, but if your weapon is readily visible, you need no permit. Alaska is not the only state that allows citizens to carry.
~ not making a right or wrong judgment here, this is just FYI fact ~
Chelsey

San Antonio, TX

#30 Dec 4, 2006
Hey Jessica,

I can't believe that out of all the comments you received no one mentioned the great schools and opportunities for kids!! The school systems are great and there are wonderful enrichment programs from the arts to sports. Raising kids up here is fabulous, not to mention the opportunities the university has to offer.

If you are an outdoorsy type... you will be a home up here. If you have a little commonsense you will be fine. There are plenty of places to go hiking and there are local groups to join to get involved in whatever your heart desires. And the comment about guns is funny... it is true that you don't need a consealed license to carry... but Fairbanks really doesn't have a lot of trouble with gun crimes. It is a way of life up here and it actually deters a lot of crime because people don't pick fights because you never know what the other guy is carrying!!

My husband and I drove up from Michigan in March. Just buy a milepost book (check the bookstore) and highlight all the gas stations. Get gas at every stop and you will be fine. We had to go slow because the roads are ice packed in winter, but we made it up here in less than a week.

As for the weather up here...
Summers are fabulous and are our best asset. The flowers grow bigger and more beautiful than any other place I have been. Winters aren't that bad either... there are really cold snaps, but just bundle up and it is no big deal. As for the darkness in the winter... you really don't notice it because the snow reflects so well... also the northern lights are great!

Good luck and hope to see you up here!!
CONSTANCE

Arcadia, FL

#31 Dec 6, 2006
Hello all , I have been offered a job in several parts of Alaska , mostly remote . Nome, Aniak ect. as a child protection investigator. The pay is high and steady work ,but I worry about bringing my dog and cat. Is housing possible or will I just have to take what is offered due to limit of affordable rentals offered.
Bruce

Meadview, AZ

#32 Dec 6, 2006
Wow... Can you say Culture Shock? Are you really from Tallahassee? Do you have any idea of what those remote villages are like?

I would recommend getting more information from the organization (State of Alaska?) that has offered you the job. They can not seriously expect you to go from Tallahassee Fl to Nome or Aniak AK with no understanding of the difference in environment or culture...
But you can start here:
http://www.nomealaska.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniak,_Alaska

Good luck
kelly

Phillipsburg, NJ

#33 Dec 10, 2006
I was wondering if anyone has every lived in Aniak, AK? What should be expected in terms of the living and weather conditions, rental possibilities, standard of living, etc.?
Pgoodz

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Dec 12, 2006
Move to Alaska. I'm planning on moving there myself, having been there for just the last 2 summers. Next year hopefully I won't have to come back to Minnesota. I'm still fairly young, haven't been to many places, but I can tell you that Alaska is incredible. Everybody there is from all around the world it seems, in the summer at least. It's also a very informal place. As far as gun control goes, don't get mixed up with the wrong kind of people, and you'll do just fine. Alaska defenitely has it's own kind of rednecks... but they are good to have on your side i suppose!!! I think the lax gun laws there are important depending on where it is in alaska. Ketchikan, Petersburg, and Valdez are wonderful places, but I don't know anything about the more Northern places.. Oh yea, and the Alaskan food and beer are DELICIOUS. If you like seafood. Or Mexican, which is very popular there for some reason.
Pgoodz

Saint Paul, MN

#35 Dec 12, 2006
Sorry, didn't mean any offense by the gun or redneck comments that I posted... I highly agree with Chelsea on the subject, but I don't take back what I posted.
Darrell May

Lewiston, ID

#36 Dec 14, 2006
lou wrote:
What are you talking about, gun control/blood bath?

Check the statistics out! How many people die per capita Alaska v. Illinois?

Criminals carry guns all the time, just because honest people carry guns doesn't mean "bloodbath".
Melissa in London

Manchester, UK

#37 Dec 17, 2006
I currently live in London, England and am relocating back to the United States in March. I am going to be possibly moving to Aniak, Alaska and would love hosuing tips (how to get some before I move) and how it is like to live there. ANy information people have is really beneficial.
OT traveler

Tacoma, WA

#38 Dec 24, 2006
Melissa in London wrote:
I currently live in London, England and am relocating back to the United States in March. I am going to be possibly moving to Aniak, Alaska and would love hosuing tips (how to get some before I move) and how it is like to live there. ANy information people have is really beneficial.
If you are moving to Aniak you must have a purpose since Aniak town is about 4 blocks by 4 blocks. If your job company is recruiting you ask for advice from them, but don't go without a housing plan. The cost of housing can far out weigh any money paid as wages. Aniak is in the wilderness!
buschfrau

Seattle, WA

#39 Dec 26, 2006
"First of all its ferry not "fairy"" to funny Stewart.

I moved out of Alaska after 31 years of living there. i regretted it almost instantly. will be returning in March. thought it would be wonderful here in W.A. been homesick and depressed for 3 months.
it isn't for eveyone. I will say that. prepare for culture shock. but wonderful place to raise children. I wouldn't have raised mine anywhere else given the oppertunity.
never owned a gun. never needed a gun.
life is good
Joshua Johnson

Dunedin, FL

#40 Dec 28, 2006
I have question my wife and I are moving to Anchorage and are wanting to drive there, is it safe to drive there in the winter months or should I take a ferry to get there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alaska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's got your vote in the Alaska Senate race? 9 hr Topix Polls 0
In Alaska Race For Governor, Democrats Try An U... Oct 18 Le Jimbo 1
Who are you voting for in the Alaska Governor r... Oct 17 Topix Polls 0
Biker Single Dating Oct 17 jojn 1
Joe Miller: 'If 20 million illegals vote, you c... Oct 5 woodtick57 373
SOS - PLEASE HELP!! Crowd Funding - 4 - GREECE ... Oct 2 Sneaky Pete 2
Sen. Murkowski: Alaskans deserve a fix for Obam... Oct 2 bottlecap 1

Alaska People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE