Move to Alaska??
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Jenny

Arlington, VA

#266 Aug 7, 2012
Hey everyone! I am a 23 year old female planning to move to Anchorage in one year (August 2013) with my boyfriend and another couple that we are friends with.

My friend and I will be first year Speech Language Pathologists and our boyfriends will both be looking for labor jobs (mechanic, construction, etc), or hopefully doing something at one of the airports.

We want to live in AK for one year. We all live in Washington, DC right now. We are beginning to research doing the move from here to Anchorage and have many questions!

1. Where are some good places to live, that are safe and affordable? Our budget will probably be between $2,000-$2,500.
2. How should we move there? We could potentially all fly and just buy clunker cars for the year, but I would prefer to bring at least my Jeep. Also, are the PODS a good option? Or a Uhaul? thoughts? It would be nice to be able to bring my furniture and most of my things, but not absolutely necessary I suppose. We are hoping to all be able to move for about $5-6,000 total.
3. What are some "must do" things that we should experience in Alaska? in one year?
4. What's the deal with the money that people get for living in Alaska? I've heard about it since we have started talking about moving, but will we need to apply or something?

Thanks!!! The four of us are really excited!
Your Alaska Guide

Anchorage, AK

#267 Aug 25, 2012
lou wrote:
I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
It must be a blood bath up there!
Quite the contrary, When the criminals know that the private citizen here could be carrying a firearm they are not as bold.I work all over the state from the rural village to the major cities never an issue. The Bears and protective cow Moose are the only safety concern I have.
I have also worked and lived in 32 states and what scares me the most is when the private law abiding citizen is not permitted to carry a firearm. Then the only ones who have them are the criminals who could care less about any law.
YourAlaskaGuide.com
thatoneguy

Cabot, AR

#268 Oct 16, 2012
Rose wrote:
I would not hesitate to move to Alaska if I had the chance. I did it some years ago, and have never regretted it. I do miss the stores, especially bookstores and good restaurants, but the land is beautiful and the people very friendly. I moved from TX, and I like the climate here so much better! I live in Dillingham though, which is in the SW part of the state and with fewer stores and such than in Fairbanks. I know people who lived in Fairbanks and they liked it very much, I've never heard anything bad about it. And at least here where I am, if you dress properly in the winter, the cold is no big deal.
seriously, shootings didnt get bad until people started tampering with our rights to carry. think about this... every heard of a gun shooting at a shooting range, didnt think so!!!
Anon

Palmer, AK

#269 Dec 15, 2012
Kristy wrote:
Ok, I'm planning to move to Alaska in the summer from California, thought about driving, but I was told that at the Canadian boared they search all your stuff????? I wanted to take a u-haul or somthing.... Any advice on moving a whole household?
My family and I drove through Canada in the winter when we moved to Alaska, which took seven days. We bought a four-wheel drive truck and a 20 ft toy trailer to move our whole household, and it weighed 13,000lbs, about 5,00lbs over the DOT limit I think. Luckily we weren't fined but it might be a good idea to let go of some stuff before your move. If you have guns, you should mail them to Alaska before you move or have someone in California mail them after you've settled in. As for pets, make sure they have shots and papers as they may ask for that information at the border. And yes, they conduct searchers, but they won't be extensive if there isn't a reason for it, so just ditch anything you're not supposed to have.

Oh, also, about halfway through our trip our transmission blew out in the middle of nowhere and we had to buy a new one, so make sure your vehicle is in good condition with the right tires if you're going in the winter. The only other thing I can think of is to bring another person with you so you can take turns driving.

And as for the people of Alaska, yes there of course there are those that are less then amiable, but I think you'll find that anywhere you go. Personally, I think some of the funniest, most innovative, resilient and hospitable people live in Alaska.
peter

Burnaby, Canada

#270 Feb 11, 2013
I recently decided to start a new way of living and I want to move to Alaska but im a Canadian citizens and if anyone one knows what to expect I would need or do to to move there like stuff Like being able to cross the border or paperwork I need please let me know your knowledge about it please and thanks
Mary Bennett

New York, NY

#271 Mar 1, 2013
Women of Alaska: NEW YORK CITY WOMEN DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP

Judge Laura Drager, Judge of New York City's Famous Power Brokers, Ignores Domestic Violence and Abuse of Children, in hundreds of cases in lieu of "Big Money Litigants"

GO TO CHANGE. ORG AND VOTE..Hundreds Have Voted. You Might Be Saving A Child.

Hundreds of litigants and co-workers are now finally joining forces at Change.Org to Remove Judge Laura Drager, laughingly known as the CEO of New York's Divorce Company. She makes the rich spouse richer, by making the rich lawyer richer.

She has a "powerbroker" media effort behind her to submerge the negative articles about her on the Internet. It is heartbreaking what this Judge has done. She has thrown countless women and children onto the street.

We are rejecting Judge Laura Drager and her corrupt network. Please refer to Change.Org Petition, Robe Probe, The Robing Room to read about this Judge.

YOU CAN HELP PROTECT INNOCENT CHILDREN. GO TO CHANGE.ORG AND VOTE TO REMOVE JUDGE LAURA DRAGER FROM THE BENCH.

Please write a blog alerting your friends and associates to this. You will be Saving Respectable Mothers, Women and Children a great service around the world. You will be taking a Step Against the "War Against Women" in New York.

Change.Org Remove Judge Laura Drager. Vote Vote Vote...You might be saving a child.

The NYS Judicial Commission: Remove Judge Laura ...- Change.org
www.change.org/.../the-nys-judicial-commissio .....
Tim

Sayre, PA

#272 Aug 9, 2013
I'm seriously looking into moving to alaska, not sure where yet. That being said, I'd certainly would need a job, but would like to get most of my groceries from the wilds. Eventually go off the grid, with that being said, has anyone have any pointers?

I have a CDL, and probably would continue to utilize that (if possible) to support myself.

I'd prefer not living downtown, unless it was a in a lower populated area, say less than 5,000-10,000.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alaska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
deadliest catch Tue Louis 1
News No wedding for Bristol Palin Tue General 39
News 'Weird winters' a challenge for peony growers Mon Larry Craig s WC ... 2
News Walker backs renaming Western Alaska census are... Jun 26 Phatpaw907 1
News Will Alaska's weird winter be followed by equal... Jun 22 Chimps 46
News 'Alaskan Bush People' are 'On the Prowl' on Dis... Jun 21 terry 9
News In wake of flu epidemic a century ago, Alaska's... Jun 16 tom wingo 11
More from around the web