IslandGirl

Bolton, CT

#246 Apr 7, 2010
Moving from Connecticut to Fairbanks. Is it recommended to bring our furniture or more economical to start over? I'd still have to bring a Uhaul of personal boxed items unfortunately. My husband will be working in Fairbanks, how are the outlying towns for housing and travel distances? Lastly, keep the mid-size or trade up to SUV's/trucks for all?

Thanks so much!
SNJ

Norway

#247 Apr 9, 2010
IslandGirl wrote:
Moving from Connecticut to Fairbanks. Is it recommended to bring our furniture or more economical to start over? I'd still have to bring a Uhaul of personal boxed items unfortunately. My husband will be working in Fairbanks, how are the outlying towns for housing and travel distances? Lastly, keep the mid-size or trade up to SUV's/trucks for all?
Thanks so much!
Presumably all you need to concentrate on is to make sure you have a good knife, a good rifle and warm quality clothes. Wool! And to learn how to use it all. And of course: an open mind! Good luck IslandGirl! Life up north is full of wonderful options if you just
take the climate seriously and avoid too much alcohol.......
Elizabeth

Perrysburg, OH

#248 Apr 9, 2010
I'm graduating from high school next year and than going to an online college to become a veterinary technician and these comments have helped me a lot in making a decision. But I keep hearing about different cities and I was wondering what you would consider good cities to look up so I would know where I should look.(please suggest some LGBT "safe" places. I know it's an opinion thing but it's better to acknowledge someones opinion than make a fool of yourself. Also how good is moose meat? Is it like deer or bear? lol. Also how can so many nice people live in one place everywhere I lived they'd only be legions?
Matt in Illinois

United States

#249 Apr 29, 2010
I just spent a considerable amount of time reading this entire thread, which is now over 4 years old. It seems that most of the posts concentrated on Anchorage and Fairbanks. If a person from the lower 48 wanted to "get away" from the big city problems, why would you not consider Kenai, Soldotna, or Homer? I am planning a road trip to AK in the near future, and on my list of must see is Denali and the Kenai peninsula.
Matt in Illinois

United States

#250 Apr 29, 2010
Curious how the forum moderator assigns poster location....I am not even near Morris, IL.
Move to Alaska

Bozeman, MT

#251 May 25, 2010
If you are looking to move to Alaska, Hi-Line Moving Services is a great place to check out: http://www.hilinemoving.com/houseshold/
steventroy

Anchorage, AK

#252 Aug 7, 2010
Jessica wrote:
This is a very serious decision I have to make...should I move to ak? Here is my situation:
I live in upstate NY and had a baby the 29th of July 2006. The father lives and works in Fairbanks, ak. He recently got the job there and has not experienced an Alaska winter. He wants us both to move up there. I love him and want him to be a part of his daughters life. Now I like the snow, hiking, all that good stuff. But when it's so cold that you can't leave your house or you have to hike with a gun... I just don't know. I have visited Alaska and loved it. I would love ny tips about Alaska and any advice on moving there.
if you are hesitating, dont do it. Fairbanks is TOUGH
Hooks_57

Clinton, IA

#253 Aug 10, 2010
lou wrote:
I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
It must be a blood bath up there!
Are you serious, you live in Chicago with the Latin Kings, Gangster Disciples, BG'S. etc. People shot every day in your lovely city. You have more murders in Chicago per year then the whole state of Alaska. Get Real.
US Pull out of Chicago

Cleveland, OH

#254 Oct 7, 2010
"bloodbath" ha! This coming from the 2010 Murder Capital of the US, Chicago, Il...add into it's close finished for Rape and Property Theft Capital's of the US. For future reference just ignore the ignorance that spews forth from the Chicago area...we've been doing it for decades in Wisconsin.
US Pull out of Chicago

Cleveland, OH

#255 Oct 7, 2010
one more thing....even though now I see this was 2006...hopefully you moved, forgoing any temprorary hardships like coldness for the everlasting gift you'll give to your child by giving her a father to help raise her....that should be a no-brainer, unless you're from Chicago and rely on the "village" to raise your kids for you....
Clay Brooks

Nashville, TN

#256 Jan 18, 2011
Move to Alaska, It will be the best decision you will ever make.
Tea Party Patriot

Nashville, TN

#257 Jan 18, 2011
I love Alaska! Move there!
paul shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#258 Jan 20, 2011
Hooks_57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious, you live in Chicago with the Latin Kings, Gangster Disciples, BG'S. etc. People shot every day in your lovely city. You have more murders in Chicago per year then the whole state of Alaska. Get Real.
..GOOD Pointer's,here.....eh..
AK Fan From MS

Biloxi, MS

#259 Sep 1, 2011
I've visted several parts of Alaska over the last five summers and I continue to be utterly amazed at the beauty it has to offer. The land, the people, the culture-- all of it is just more than I ever knew was out there! I would love to move to AK and am not one of these people who think it will just magically happen and that there is some magic way to get my way paid for. My husband and I have done extensive research to see if we can afford to move our family and still haven't made a decision. We're considering Palmer or Homer, maybe. Are High School teaching positions hard to find? Do the locals dislike new people? We have southern accents (not red-neck accents); I want to make sure we didn't move into a place where we're unwanted. My husband and I are looking at real estate there and am not really sure what the best heating option is. A boiler? Any specific type? I'm assuming that's different from central heating. My last question... hosptials... Where are the good ones? Thanks, in advance :)
Fish girl

Atlanta, GA

#260 Sep 8, 2011
Looking for rustic town of about 7000 with great fishing and a public library or university connection... suggestions?
Solitary

Ogallala, NE

#261 Dec 28, 2011
lou wrote:
I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
Well, we all know you are of full of shit and completly out of the loop..........
Duck II

Newport News, VA

#262 Jun 6, 2012
Looking for some information from some Ak residents. The wife and I have been married for 2 years and are both young and very interested in moving to alaska. I am a seasoned HVAC (heating,ventaliation,and air conditioning) technician/Mechanic and my wife is a LPN nurse here in the eastern part of Virginia. My aunt and uncle spend their summers out in Alaska and I myself have visited and loved it. I currently work for a local school system in my carrer and my wife works for a urgent care as a LPN nurse. Im wondering about hourly pay in my carrer field, and more about my chances of finding a job in my carrer field more so than my wife with her being a nurse, and the TRUE cost of living around the Anchorage/Soldaltna area. I have a Virginia state Journeymans liscens along with many other certifications. We both enjoy hunting, fishing and many outdoor activities so the entertainment is not so much a bother as is the job security for me...

Thanks for any information ya'll could provide P.S. Please dont sugar coat your advice this is a big decision for both of us.
Charles

United States

#263 Jul 11, 2012
Your an idiot gun laws only keep honest people honest bad guys still have them blood baths happen where gin laws are strick since criminals know you can't defend your self
lou wrote:

Little Rock, AR

#264 Jul 18, 2012
I keep hearing the Russians all want to move to Alaska. Permanently.
Canyak

Anchorage, AK

#265 Jul 20, 2012
Duck II wrote:
Looking for some information from some Ak residents....Im wondering about hourly pay in my carrer field, and more about my chances of finding a job in my carrer field more so than my wife with her being a nurse, and the TRUE cost of living around the Anchorage/Soldaltna area.
I doubt you would have trouble finding a job in Anchorage and your wife definitely wouldn't. Soldotna might be harder than Anchorage since it is much smaller. The cost of living is fairly high up here, but not terrible. Wages are high too though.
Housing in Anchorage is expensive, but not as bad once you get outside of it. You can check out www.alaskarealestate.com to see specifics on actual houses for sale. If you want to rent, you are looking at $1300+ for a decent place in Anchorage. Gasoline is running about $1.85 right now. Internet is $80+ for mediocre speeds.
A big cost if you like to travel is airfare. There is nothing close to Alaska and tickets are $400+ pp rt just to get to Seattle. Driving outside takes too long and isn't really an option.
Another cost that constantly impacts us is shipping. Nearly everywhere on the internet has special rates for Alaska (usually at least 2x higher), or they flat out refuse to ship to you. Amazon still has their free super saver shipping though, which is awesome. The real cost of shipping isn't much higher here - people just like to stick it to us because "it's Alaska". I tried to buy a $6 bottle of BBQ sauce online the other day and they wanted $38 for shipping to Alaska. That is not uncommon. You get used to not being able to get about 50% of the things you find online because of ridiculous, made-up Alaska shipping charges.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alaska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's got your vote in the Alaska Senate race? 19 hr Topix Polls 0
In Alaska Race For Governor, Democrats Try An U... Oct 18 Le Jimbo 1
Who are you voting for in the Alaska Governor r... Oct 17 Topix Polls 0
Biker Single Dating Oct 17 jojn 1
Joe Miller: 'If 20 million illegals vote, you c... Oct 5 woodtick57 373
SOS - PLEASE HELP!! Crowd Funding - 4 - GREECE ... Oct 2 Sneaky Pete 2
Sen. Murkowski: Alaskans deserve a fix for Obam... Oct 2 bottlecap 1

Alaska People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE