Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2006

Judged:

This is a very serious decision I have to make...should I move to ak? Here is my situation:

I live in upstate NY and had a baby the 29th of July 2006. The father lives and works in Fairbanks, ak. He recently got the job there and has not experienced an Alaska winter. He wants us both to move up there. I love him and want him to be a part of his daughters life. Now I like the snow, hiking, all that good stuff. But when it's so cold that you can't leave your house or you have to hike with a gun... I just don't know. I have visited Alaska and loved it. I would love ny tips about Alaska and any advice on moving there.
Jessica

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2006

Andrews AFB, MD??? I live in Upstate Ny...
Jessica

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2006

Also...Any advice on the best way to move there. Drive through Canada, take the fairy from Seattle, or sell our stuff and fly?
bob7456

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2006

Judged:

Jessica wrote:
This is a very serious decision I have to make...should I move to ak? Here is my situation:
I live in upstate NY and had a baby the 29th of July 2006. The father lives and works in Fairbanks, ak. He recently got the job there and has not experienced an Alaska winter. He wants us both to move up there. I love him and want him to be a part of his daughters life. Now I like the snow, hiking, all that good stuff. But when it's so cold that you can't leave your house or you have to hike with a gun... I just don't know. I have visited Alaska and loved it. I would love ny tips about Alaska and any advice on moving there.
Jessy I lived in Nome alaska for 27 years and now live in spencerport ny.Sometimes I wish I never left life is so much better in Alaska.Fairbanks is much bigger than nome and has more stores.Trust me if you can take a new york winter a wet cold, a dry cold is much better.Go for it you can always come back.
Bro Carl

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2006

Judged:

Fairbanks can be rough but you know about winter
Baby needs a Poppa
Go for it
Alaska's the last vestige of freedom
It's worth the hassle...cc
lou

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2006

Judged:

I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
It must be a blood bath up there!
Rose

Dillingham, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2006

Judged:

I would not hesitate to move to Alaska if I had the chance. I did it some years ago, and have never regretted it. I do miss the stores, especially bookstores and good restaurants, but the land is beautiful and the people very friendly. I moved from TX, and I like the climate here so much better! I live in Dillingham though, which is in the SW part of the state and with fewer stores and such than in Fairbanks. I know people who lived in Fairbanks and they liked it very much, I've never heard anything bad about it. And at least here where I am, if you dress properly in the winter, the cold is no big deal.
Ex-Southeaster

Juneau, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

Judged:

Jessica wrote:
Also...Any advice on the best way to move there. Drive through Canada, take the fairy from Seattle, or sell our stuff and fly?
Hi Jessica:

I've been on another AK-related chat, and saw your question on this one. I've lived and worked all over Alaska for 17 years, and will give you my $0.05 worth.

I think the big difference for you would be having two completely different seasons. Summer is bright, warm, usually sunny. Winter is dark, cold, with little sun of any kind. You just have to adapt two the two-season thing. I've seen the most glorious summer weather up there, fly fishing and all, and it felt like paradise. I've also worked there in the winter for two weeks when it never got much above 50 below. It was kind of the same in southeast AK (I lived in Juneau for a number of years), though there it was the wet and dark season and the not-quite-as wet and light season. Fairbanks is a good sized town (70,000 or so), has a University, and has most of the basic amenities that average Americans expect. I.e., it ain't the bush.

The part about guns always cracks me up, when I hear people "down south" talking about it. I've lived and worked around bears for the entire time I've been up here. I'm required to carry a gun when working around Brown Bears, but have never even thought of using it--and I literally work with them (I'm in the state dept. of Fish and Game). People ARE fairly casual about firearms here, but it's far less bad than most typical cities down south, where people seem to kill each other a lot, from what I read in the news. Anchorage has some of that going on, as gangs have been forming and moving in over the past few years.

As far as coming up here, all your three choices are good ones, but be aware that if you sell everything, that things are much more expensive up here.

Driving the Al Can highway is not the ordeal it was 20 years ago, but it is long, to say the least. If you do it in winter, you need a good vehicle with good tires, and should carry survival gear, in case you break down in the middle of nowhere (pack boots, extra warm clothes, blankets or sleeping bag, water, munchies--what a smart Fairbanks resident keeps in their car all winter). You will also need a block heater for your car--not an optional piece of equipment in Fairbanks.

The ferry can be a lot of fun, sort of a poor man's cruise ship with lots of socializing and friendly partying going on for three days up the inside passage--personally, I love it. Just don't count on seeing anything, as the weather can be miserable. When you hit Haines, it's a fairly long drive to Fairbanks, but I've done it several times, and it's not too bad. Again, if you do it in winter, the same cautions apply as above.

Hope that helps, and I wish you the best with your new member of the family.
tellis d

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Judged:

aska
Jessica wrote:
i just got an email from a friend about a bear attack this they say is the biggest on record 14feet thats something to think about.
Chez

Valley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Jessica wrote:
What part of Alaska would you be living in? I spent 10 yrs in Anchorage... I plan to move back. If you live anywhere else in the state, expect small town run of the mill. People in Alaska are some of the friendliest people you'll meet. As for the weather, each region has it's own patterns. I loved every day I spent there!
Chez

Valley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Judged:

tellis d wrote:
aska<quoted text>i just got an email from a friend about a bear attack this they say is the biggest on record 14feet thats something to think about.
Any person who gets attacked by a bear in Alaska has put themselves at risk... it's not like wildlife knocks on your door and says, "hey, can I maul you today"? Jessica, don't let the wildlife scare you, respect them by staying out of their domain. If they come to your neighborhood, then enjoy them from the window and call Fish and Game to take care of them, they're only trespassing on land which was once theirs to roam free.
Ak Chucko

Juneau, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Judged:

Jessica wrote:
I drove up to Alaska 5 times and once from New Hampshire, I cut up into Canada through Montana, it was the best way to go.
Ak Chucko

Juneau, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

tellis d wrote:
aska<quoted text>i just got an email from a friend about a bear attack this they say is the biggest on record 14feet thats something to think about.
I have lived here 26 years and still LOVE it here, but I do not like Fairbanks, 90 degrees in the Summer and 40-60 below zero in the Winter, and sooo boring there.
GeorgeTD

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Judged:

lou wrote:
I personnally would be scared to death of Alaska. Isn't it true Alaska has some of the weakest gun control laws in the world? No permit for guns?
Nah, not year 'round. Just during tourist "season".*bg*

George
6 year Anchorage Alaska resident
DBR

Hancock, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2006

Ak Chucko wrote:
<quoted text>
I drove up to Alaska 5 times and once from New Hampshire, I cut up into Canada through Montana, it was the best way to go.
I live in NH and I am thinking of moving to Anchorage. I have always wanted to make the drive ... how was it?
Orange Blossom

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2006

Judged:

DBR wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in NH and I am thinking of moving to Anchorage. I have always wanted to make the drive ... how was it?
My husband and I made the drive to Alaska from Florida when we moved here. I can honestly say that my bottom will never forgive me! LOL, anyway, the trip was almost 6,000 miles. We crossed at the Canadian/Montana border. The Al-Can was long, but beautiful. If you drive up during the summer, beware of motor homes. They will ruin your windshield. We've learned that cracked windshields are pretty much standard equipment on automobiles up here. A piece of advice if you drive through Canada. Make sure you book a motel the night before, during the summer they book up quick on the Al/Can, and you may find yourself with nowhere to sleep. Don't book through Travelocity or the like.....we used them and they didn't honor our reservation when we got to Whitehorse(Canada).....British Columbia is absolutely beautiful, and is worth driving through. They actually had a sasquatch crossing sign on the side of the road...

We live south of Fairbanks in Delta Junction. Fairbanks has modern conveniences, and now even has a Target, Wal-Mart, Chili's, Barne's and Noble, etc... Like someone else said...it's definately not the bush.

If someone tries to tell you that Alaska is horrible, then 9 times out of 10 it is an Alaskan that wants to keep Alaska all to themselves. i.e. the "no don't move here crowd."
DBR

Hancock, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2006

Orange Blossom wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband and I made the drive to Alaska from Florida when we moved here. I can honestly say that my bottom will never forgive me! LOL, anyway, the trip was almost 6,000 miles. We crossed at the Canadian/Montana border. The Al-Can was long, but beautiful. If you drive up during the summer, beware of motor homes. They will ruin your windshield. We've learned that cracked windshields are pretty much standard equipment on automobiles up here. A piece of advice if you drive through Canada. Make sure you book a motel the night before, during the summer they book up quick on the Al/Can, and you may find yourself with nowhere to sleep. Don't book through Travelocity or the like.....we used them and they didn't honor our reservation when we got to Whitehorse(Canada).....British Columbia is absolutely beautiful, and is worth driving through. They actually had a sasquatch crossing sign on the side of the road...
We live south of Fairbanks in Delta Junction. Fairbanks has modern conveniences, and now even has a Target, Wal-Mart, Chili's, Barne's and Noble, etc... Like someone else said...it's definately not the bush.
If someone tries to tell you that Alaska is horrible, then 9 times out of 10 it is an Alaskan that wants to keep Alaska all to themselves. i.e. the "no don't move here crowd."
I have gone to Alaska each summer for the last 11 years ... so Alaska living will not be a total surprise. I agree with your comment on cracked windshields! While I have not experienced an Alaskan winter, I have a bother in Eagle River ... he has survived just fine so I am confident I can too. Thanks for the tips on motels ... I was wondering about that ... sounds like it is best to pick a spot, make a reservation and stop there regardless. It's all still in the thinking stages but thanks for the response.
Fish

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2006

Orange Blossom,
would you mind giving me your email address so that i may pick your brain about Delta Junction and Ft. Greely, please? My husband has been given the opportunity to move up there for a 3 yr. assignment.
thanks!
backbayak

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2006

Judged:

lou wrote:
......not at all , the guns just make us get along, we're the freindliest I've ever seen
ktowner

Ketchikan, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2006

Judged:

lou wrote:
bloodbath? only when moose are concerned!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of267
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Alaska Discussions

Search the Alaska Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Postal Service losing tens of millions ann... Jul 4 Grow Conservatism 16
VA official: Recruitment a challenge in Alaska Jul 3 Viet Nam Vet 1
Botanists head to Nunavut to help fill out gaps... Jun 28 link above broken maybe 2
8.0 quake shakes off Alaska, tsunami warning fo... Jun 24 22 Ski Doo 1
Seismologists answer the call to rural Alaska Jun 23 Kotzebue 1
No Hawaii tsunami threat from Alaska earthquake Jun 23 other reading 1
$AnchorText$ Jun 23 Mckinley 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••