Alaska law would allow military to dr...

Alaska law would allow military to drink at age 18

There are 41 comments on the SavannahNow story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Alaska law would allow military to drink at age 18. In it, SavannahNow reports that:

Alaska is the latest state to weigh in on a long-running argument: If you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you should be old enough to drink a beer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SavannahNow.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 Apr 7, 2011
FreeDog wrote:
Woof, the argument that anyone old enough to fight and die for our country is old enough to qualify for all rights bestowed on adults cannot be argued. Yet there is clear evidence 18 year olds are less able to handle alcohol. So, we are faced with a dilemma. There are several possible answers among these are raise the military age to the drinking age, lower the drinking age and take the risk, and do not lower the drinking age but make an exception for anyone in the military. I prefer the last option, because it exposes the fewest to risk, and yet meets the test.
Or we can leave it like it is.

Again, if they're old enough to serve then they should be old enough to serve in Congress? Right??

All rights are not bestowed at one time. Nothing unconstitutional about that.

Tawas City, Michigan

#23 Apr 7, 2011
If alcohol is that important in your life then you have a problem.
jaimie

Madison, WI

#24 Apr 7, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
If alcohol is that important in your life then you have a problem.
They try to get you to drink, so they can subject you to a substance your not accustomed to. then they have partial control of psycho command over your thoughts feelings and actions.

They all should be locked up for hurting people and kids, that knowlegde was full research BUT BOOMERS took majority rule vote, and they hid all medical science and FBI files to COMPETE to see if any genration could surpass their intelect, secret society of who gets cares, via yoru zipcode ordience and positon in the zipcode.

ALl go to prison Governmental seizure redistribute cares and wealth and housing and code only to skills obtained through legal training and degree, rest best of luck to you.

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#25 Apr 7, 2011
FTR wrote:
And what kind of retirement do you recommend for the civilian that kills a service member due to drinking and driving? I suspect you may recommend a medal, huh?
No, sh¡†head - in any case: if you take a life while driving drunk then you lose yours. Individuals drink of their own volition, and they should be held responsible for their actions even in an impaired state. Same goes with drugs.

If individuals want to push for special privileges their non-service peers don't have then they should accept special penalties.

FTR

“Community Liar-in-Chief”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#27 Apr 7, 2011
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>If individuals want to push for special privileges their non-service peers don't have then they should accept special penalties.
Special privileges? These kids are serving their country and many may not live to see the age of 21. And they are doing this for the benefit of all of those non-service peers. All without a second thought. Special penalties? Are you really that damn stupid? They already have double jeopardy for virtually any crime they might commit, something that civilians have rights against. If they are allowed to drink at 18 years of age while on the military base I think it's fine. Oh, and for all of the non-service peers....sign your ass up and come on base and enjoy.

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#28 Apr 7, 2011
On base: fine. Off base: same rules as civilians.
WASP

Irvine, CA

#30 Apr 7, 2011
Back when I was marching in the military they would let you drink on base at age 17 or above (though I think I only met a few 17 year olds in there). They had beer machines in the laundry and clubs and a bowling alley on base so you could get really drunk after work and on the weekends.

Which is why I went through Alcoholics Anonymous later in life and haven't touched a drop since. Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to give young military men cheap booze.

Tawas City, Michigan

#31 Apr 8, 2011
WASP wrote:
Back when I was marching in the military they would let you drink on base at age 17 or above (though I think I only met a few 17 year olds in there). They had beer machines in the laundry and clubs and a bowling alley on base so you could get really drunk after work and on the weekends.
Which is why I went through Alcoholics Anonymous later in life and haven't touched a drop since. Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to give young military men cheap booze.
BINGO!

One of my many duties was as a drug & alcohol counselor. The LAST thing we need is MORE drinking by 18-20 y/o without parental supervision.

I too remember the beer vending machines in the barracks right next to the coke machine. Because of the easy access to alcohol an 18 y/o got drunk & jumped off the roof of the 3 story barracks and drove his thigh bones up into his chest and out his shoulders. The beer machines were removed the next day.

Tawas City, Michigan

#32 Apr 8, 2011
FTR wrote:
<quoted text>Special privileges? These kids are serving their country and many may not live to see the age of 21. And they are doing this for the benefit of all of those non-service peers. All without a second thought. Special penalties? Are you really that damn stupid? They already have double jeopardy for virtually any crime they might commit, something that civilians have rights against. If they are allowed to drink at 18 years of age while on the military base I think it's fine. Oh, and for all of the non-service peers....sign your ass up and come on base and enjoy.
That's you biggest concern? That they might die not having had a beer? I think there are probably more important things to worry about than that.
OBat

Denver, CO

#33 Apr 8, 2011
Anybody ever watch Alaska State Troopers? The LAST thing that state needs is more substance abuse, holy cow!
WASP

Irvine, CA

#34 Apr 8, 2011
And the alcohol fueled fights... don't forget the alcohol fueled fights! People and their military careers got messed up in those.
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!
One of my many duties was as a drug & alcohol counselor. The LAST thing we need is MORE drinking by 18-20 y/o without parental supervision.
I too remember the beer vending machines in the barracks right next to the coke machine. Because of the easy access to alcohol an 18 y/o got drunk & jumped off the roof of the 3 story barracks and drove his thigh bones up into his chest and out his shoulders. The beer machines were removed the next day.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#35 Apr 8, 2011
OBat wrote:
Anybody ever watch Alaska State Troopers? The LAST thing that state needs is more substance abuse, holy cow!
Yes, and despite Alaska's stringent laws on drinking and not to mention, many counties are DRY, those laws have only fueled the fire. After all, wouldn't you drink a lot if you lived in Alaska? I know I would.

If people want to drink, they are going to.
The gubberment is just too stupid to figure that out.

FTR

Location hidden

#36 Apr 8, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's you biggest concern? That they might die not having had a beer? I think there are probably more important things to worry about than that.
That's not my biggest concern at all. I'm simply giving my opinion on the subject at hand. My biggest concern is getting rid of the liberal sacks of shit that are currently destroying our country. You're right...That's much more important.

Tawas City, Michigan

#37 Apr 8, 2011
FTR wrote:
<quoted text>That's not my biggest concern at all. I'm simply giving my opinion on the subject at hand. My biggest concern is getting rid of the liberal sacks of shit that are currently destroying our country. You're right...That's much more important.
Good, then instead of Alaskan lawmakers wasting time on stupid crap like the drinking age, maybe they should focus on jobs & the economy & the environment in Alaska.

FTR

Location hidden

#38 Apr 8, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, then instead of Alaskan lawmakers wasting time on stupid crap like the drinking age, maybe they should focus on jobs & the economy & the environment in Alaska.
Move to Alaska and get involved or leave Alaska politics to Alaskans.

Tawas City, Michigan

#39 Apr 8, 2011
FTR wrote:
<quoted text>Move to Alaska and get involved or leave Alaska politics to Alaskans.
Since this affects the military it is of concern to all of us.

FTR

Location hidden

#40 Apr 8, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Since this affects the military it is of concern to all of us.
Alright, I can't argue with you on that.
Jerry

Fords, NJ

#42 Apr 10, 2011
About time (Vietnam Era Vet)If you can die at 18, you should be able to suck down a Bud at 18 (they do it anyway)

http://newsviewstattoos.blogspot.com/
SNJ

Arendal, Norway

#43 Apr 15, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we should raise the minimum age to join the military to 21 instead.
I've always found the whole alcohol thing to be a stupid argument. What the hell is so important about being able to drink a beer? It wouldn't be a problem if they just drank A beer. Unfortunately they tend to drink 12-24 of them all at once
If I'm old enough to fight & die for my country, then I should be old enough to be elected to Congress.......
May 18 year olds vote in Alaska?
Here they may. At 18 people may also buy/drink beer or wine.
At 21 they may buy/drink liquors.
At 19 they may join the armed forces and allowed "to die" for their country - or for yours for that matter.....
But we are a population consisting of only reasonable, intelligent and logic minded people. Good luck to you too.....

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#44 Apr 15, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we should raise the minimum age to join the military to 21 instead.
I've always found the whole alcohol thing to be a stupid argument. What the hell is so important about being able to drink a beer? It wouldn't be a problem if they just drank A beer. Unfortunately they tend to drink 12-24 of them all at once
If I'm old enough to fight & die for my country, then I should be old enough to be elected to Congress.......
Putting the minimum age at 21 to join the military not a bad idea.
Giving 18 year olds the right to drink, well drinking at 18 isn't the problem.
It's the high percentage of 18 to 20 year old's that abuse the right to drink at such a young age that become tomorrow's alcoholics. If you don't believe it, check the increase in alcoholism and alcohol related crimes back in the 70s and 80s compared to the decrease in alcoholism and related crimes by 18 to 20 year olds from about 1985 onward.
People, young or old do stupid things when drunk. Droping the drinking age to 18 again will just give three more age groups of kids the right to do more stupid things when drunk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alaska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Katie worthman 2 hr Awake 1
Bernie Sanders 2 hr AntiHillary 3
News Let's talk, not litigate, over Indian country i... Sun Stephany McDowell 1
News Warmer weather and experimentation lead to new ... Sun Stephany McDowell 1
News Donald Trump campaign unveils Alaska supporters... Sun Vote God 3
i want to move to Alaska, but I need a job first (May '12) Sat Noha 15
GD Designs Rochdale (26) Aug 25 august005 1
More from around the web