Alaska law would allow military to drink at age 18

Apr 6, 2011 Read more: SavannahNow 41

Alaska is the latest state to weigh in on a long-running argument: If you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you should be old enough to drink a beer.

Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#1 Apr 6, 2011
It's hard to dispute the argument:

"If you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you should be old enough to drink a beer."

Would traffic fatalities increase? YES but if the drinking age was raised to 30, would that also reduce drunk driving fatalities? Probably.

jaimie

Madison, WI

#2 Apr 6, 2011
No shit they were doing it by 9 now werent they HUMMMMMM

Moved from Wisconsin and they were doing it like the buffalo I never seen a bunch of bunnies KIDS and parents to hi to supervise.

Naturally I moved back to civilization. To fast for me I ran to McCauley Manor and begged the nuns to make me one and put me in a convent until I was 25. Sister Arlene said they discussed it but the other older sisters declined and kept me in the home for girls instead.
Big Sully

Lincolnton, NC

#3 Apr 6, 2011
If there was a way to measure maturity level, we could use that to determine who drinks, and when.

I know some older folks that wouldn't be allowed... and some children that would be.
jaimie

Madison, WI

#4 Apr 6, 2011
Big Sully wrote:
If there was a way to measure maturity level, we could use that to determine who drinks, and when.
I know some older folks that wouldn't be allowed... and some children that would be.
Bar owners have to monitor, The law as indicated NOBODY can be intoxicated, Nobody, they have to test and watch a cut off point. If any harm happens to a tavern patron, rape, murder, bodily harm, it is the owner in prison for permitting their patron harm ALL THE WAY until they get home for permitting intoxication.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Apr 6, 2011
The laughing liberal wrote:
It's hard to dispute the argument:
"If you're old enough to fight and die for your country, you should be old enough to drink a beer."
Would traffic fatalities increase? YES but if the drinking age was raised to 30, would that also reduce drunk driving fatalities? Probably.
Then we should raise the minimum age to join the military to 21 instead.

I've always found the whole alcohol thing to be a stupid argument. What the hell is so important about being able to drink a beer? It wouldn't be a problem if they just drank A beer. Unfortunately they tend to drink 12-24 of them all at once

If I'm old enough to fight & die for my country, then I should be old enough to be elected to Congress.......
Chuckie

Broken Arrow, OK

#6 Apr 6, 2011
So why didn't they raise the age to join the military?
Mid Atlantic

Overland Park, KS

#7 Apr 6, 2011
Raising or lowering the age means zip

if kids want to drink they will find a way, if they are of legal age or not.

“Freedom Demands Responsibility”

Since: Aug 09

21st Century

#8 Apr 6, 2011
Woof, the argument that anyone old enough to fight and die for our country is old enough to qualify for all rights bestowed on adults cannot be argued. Yet there is clear evidence 18 year olds are less able to handle alcohol. So, we are faced with a dilemma. There are several possible answers among these are raise the military age to the drinking age, lower the drinking age and take the risk, and do not lower the drinking age but make an exception for anyone in the military. I prefer the last option, because it exposes the fewest to risk, and yet meets the test.

FTR

“Community Liar-in-Chief”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9 Apr 6, 2011
I don't see a problem with 18 year old service members drinking beer. I DO think it should be confined to the military base though. They have plenty of clubs available on base to enjoy a few cold ones.

Since: Dec 07

Spring, TX

#11 Apr 6, 2011
FTR wrote:
I don't see a problem with 18 year old service members drinking beer. I DO think it should be confined to the military base though. They have plenty of clubs available on base to enjoy a few cold ones.
Hey, back in the 60's nothing like the Beirgarten in Weisbaden after a day given the finger to East German and Russian border gaurds all day!! LOL

Big breasted German waitresses too!! I was 19!

FTR

Location hidden

#12 Apr 6, 2011
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, back in the 60's nothing like the Beirgarten in Weisbaden after a day given the finger to East German and Russian border gaurds all day!! LOL
Big breasted German waitresses too!! I was 19!
I hear ya man...LOL! I was only 20 when I was stationed San Diego and thankfully we were allowed to consume on base. Probably saved many Sailors, not due to cars, but crime activity outside the gates.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#13 Apr 6, 2011
Drank beer in Key West before they raised the age. Even after they raised the age, we could still drink beer on base. Even off base since it was "grandfathered".

Wonder if that changed and influenced the road accidents.

Then you go over seas and drink beer everywhere.

Speaking of that... I might have a beer.

Since: Dec 07

Spring, TX

#14 Apr 6, 2011
FTR wrote:
<quoted text>I hear ya man...LOL! I was only 20 when I was stationed San Diego and thankfully we were allowed to consume on base. Probably saved many Sailors, not due to cars, but crime activity outside the gates.
My younger bro was in San Diego on the USS Hancock. We quaffed a few where you were stationed.
Helema

United States

#15 Apr 6, 2011
yuh my grandfather was 16 when he went to a bar and the bartender was refusing him until a man next to him said if hes old enough to fight hes old enough to drink!! this was back in the 50s when the korean war was on and it was easier to join the army and tell em you were older!! now adays they are so picky i wanted to join once and the guy was like "you need to lose weight first" and then told me i had to do it on my own so i didnt join!! used to be they would actually send you to boot camp where they watched you like a hawk when you ate AND worked you till you dropped so you were fit for duty! eh they will lose in the end cause they are now even passing up people with street smarts for people that are more geek than fighter!!

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#16 Apr 6, 2011
And if they drunk-drive and kill a Civilian, give 'em an 'M-16 retirement' from the Service; one round, center of mass, buried face-down & boots-first.

You're no kind of 'hero' when you f##k up and kill one of your own.
Alaska law would allow military to drink at age 18

FTR

Location hidden

#17 Apr 6, 2011
Helema wrote:
eh they will lose in the end cause they are now even passing up people with street smarts for people that are more geek than fighter!!
Not entirely true, but I'll agree that they aren't nearly as tough on them as they used to be. I kind of feel sorry for the little shits simply because they aren't as disciplined as they need to be when they leave boot camp and many will just get booted out.

FTR

Location hidden

#18 Apr 6, 2011
Sol wrote:
And if they drunk-drive and kill a Civilian, give 'em an 'M-16 retirement' from the Service; one round, center of mass, buried face-down & boots-first.
You're no kind of 'hero' when you f##k up and kill one of your own.
<quoted text>
And what kind of retirement do you recommend for the civilian that kills a service member due to drinking and driving? I suspect you may recommend a medal, huh?
Chuckie

Broken Arrow, OK

#19 Apr 6, 2011
Kids start drinking earlier than 18.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#20 Apr 7, 2011
Makes sense. 18 is the age you become a legal adult and that means you can legally make your own decisions. This isn't going to make more kids drink. The ones who don't drink choose not to and the ones who do, do it despite what the law says. At least kids today tend to go to a house and drink and the ones who don't spend the night are driven home by designated drivers. We talk about it a lot more now than we used to so kids are definitely more aware of the dangers.

Knock on wood, my kid has not lost one friend to drunk driving but I sure did when I was that age. Leonard Reese and Jennifer Little. RIP. You were far too young to die AND both of them were sober; it was the other driver who was drunk that killed them.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#21 Apr 7, 2011
One last thought.....

The threat of a DRAFT always comes up when our military is stretched thin so maybe if the Armed Forces start a campaign 'Sign up and Drink up.'

The lines at the recruiting centers will be out the door and down the block. Problem solved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alaska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i want to move to Alaska, but I need a job first (May '12) Fri Homesteading101 7
News 'Alaskan Bush People' are 'On the Prowl' on Dis... Apr 14 Happy Fan 6
News Yukon Men: Is Tanana presented realistically en... (Aug '12) Apr 11 Tom 50
News Will Alaska's weird winter be followed by equal... Mar 30 Sneaky Pete 46
News Remembering the Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964 Mar 28 Andy 1
log truck driving jobs? (Jun '06) Mar '15 Michael Andrus 89
News Rare visit from Interior secretary, top politic... Feb '15 Kerry 1
More from around the web