Gray whale washed up on Humboldt County beach may have been har...

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

The gray whale washed up on Dry Lagoon beach on Feb. 2 was hardly an unusual sight.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
pinworm

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Free meat for the Arcata bum feed. Take this bad situation, and put a positive spin on it.
whitelace95501

Arcata, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

So do you think the Tsunami helped carry that whale to our shores?
neo-anon

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

I'm sick of all these twisted whale hunting throwbacks. Leave the whales alone already.
unanonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

native 'subsistence' hunting should only be allowed using traditional means, oar propelled canoes, loin cloths, and bone harpoons. televise it, I'm rooting for the whale.
panamniik22

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

neo-anon wrote:
I'm sick of all these twisted whale hunting throwbacks. Leave the whales alone already.
throwbacks? twisted? nice, insult an indigenous population reliant on a food source that almost wasn't available to them because of commercial interests. You have any more gems you would like to share with us?
panamniik22

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

unanonymous wrote:
native 'subsistence' hunting should only be allowed using traditional means, oar propelled canoes, loin cloths, and bone harpoons. televise it, I'm rooting for the whale.
If that was the requirement (traditional implements) I'm sure the indigenous population would have no problem with that---you trivializing and mocking that process shows that you should be the one wearing the loincloth
Baby

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Very, very sad.
reader

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

"This whale had probably traveled 3,500 miles from where it was likely targeted to where it ended up,"

Now how in the world did they guestimate that figure?

Was there a 3,500 mile rope attached to the harpoon?

It could have been an indigenous hunting party off Dungeness Point at the north-west tip of the State of Washington for all we know.
unanonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

I have a feeling the canoes would get pretty empty and big macs will look a hell of a lot better after the first couple of boat loads were killed.

Subsistence hunting is supposed to be a way of preserving the pre-Eurotrash invasion of the new world Native American culture. They should use the tools they had at the time and would form a basis of mutual respect of each others culture. Us for their bravery to take on the largest mammals on earth in a canoe and us for building a society that allows us not to put ourselves at such risk to subsist.
Huck

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

People should just eat Soylent Green.
Christine

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

reader wrote:
"This whale had probably traveled 3,500 miles from where it was likely targeted to where it ended up,"
Now how in the world did they guestimate that figure?
Was there a 3,500 mile rope attached to the harpoon?
It could have been an indigenous hunting party off Dungeness Point at the north-west tip of the State of Washington for all we know.
The answer to your question is within the article:

"National Marine Fisheries Service Special Agent Tim Broadman said that the harpoon found in the Dry Lagoon whale was not a commercial whaling tool, and appears to match those used by the natives in the Chukotka region of Russia. He said that native whalers must record when whales are struck and then get away, and the whaling commission does have a record of a lost whale from that region."
Christine

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

whitelace95501 wrote:
So do you think the Tsunami helped carry that whale to our shores?
Probably not since the whale washed up on shore on Feb. 2 and the Tsunami created by the Chile earthquake occurred on 02/28.
344thBrother

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

I'm not a fan of hunting whales, BUT...

For every Gray whale that dies after a wound by an indigenous hunting party, who at least are hunting in a traditional and "sporting" manner. How many die by beaching or becoming disoriented and just wandering off to die because the Navy likes to fire off explosives and subsonic devices all up and down the Gray whale's migratory path on the West coast?

How many are hauled into Japan's (And others) giant processing ships and are rendered out on the spot?

Then there's the Oceanic vessel that crashed into one...

And the pollution of their breeding grounds with salt factories down in the Sea of Cortez.

Lets keep things in perspective. At least the natives hunt in their traditional and sacred way from CANOES and they utilize every part of the whale and worship their spirit.

pftj
d
anon -__

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Huck wrote:
People should just eat Soylent Green.
Soylent Green is PEOPLE !
les

Palo Cedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Giant sea cows. Why doean anyone care? Oh right, leftist brainwashing "Save The Whales".
Gah, the population is safe, so why does anyone care?

I hate whales. I'd eat em.
panamniik22

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

unanonymous wrote:
I have a feeling the canoes would get pretty empty and big macs will look a hell of a lot better after the first couple of boat loads were killed.
Subsistence hunting is supposed to be a way of preserving the pre-Eurotrash invasion of the new world Native American culture. They should use the tools they had at the time and would form a basis of mutual respect of each others culture. Us for their bravery to take on the largest mammals on earth in a canoe and us for building a society that allows us not to put ourselves at such risk to subsist.
your "feeling" is based on your egocentric point of view. Mutual respect? from you're original post I gather you have no respect for subsistence hunting and gathering---and your big mac comment pretty much confirms that you do not deserve respect from anyone, I really wish you could put your thoughts together better so we could have a healthy debate
Save the Humans

Hayward, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

les wrote:
Giant sea cows. Why doean anyone care? Oh right, leftist brainwashing "Save The Whales".
Your ignorance is shadowed only by your arrogance.
Arcatawitch

El Cerrito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

Nice post, 344thBrother... something to think about.
Devolution

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

les wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liberals...
now one

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2010

sad world to be born in.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Alaska Government Discussions

Search the Alaska Government Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Postal Service losing tens of millions ann... Jul 4 Grow Conservatism 16
House begins debate on abortion funding bill Apr '14 not a playa1965 1
More than 2,300 Alaskans sign up for insurance Apr '14 Sneaky Pete 2
Alaskans have highest credit card debt (Aug '08) Mar '14 Rozina 2
Some Russians rethink Alaska sale (Oct '09) Mar '14 150th in line 2 th THRONE 88
State Senator: Sex Is 'Recreation' And Birth Co... Mar '14 Minajneb 1
Bulletin 02/09/14 Feb '14 Ray 1
•••
•••