16-year-old girl 'gang raped' at rave...

16-year-old girl 'gang raped' at rave, photos posted to Facebook: RCMP

There are 135 comments on the The Winnipeg Free Press story from Sep 16, 2010, titled 16-year-old girl 'gang raped' at rave, photos posted to Facebook: RCMP. In it, The Winnipeg Free Press reports that:

A 16-year-old girl was drugged and raped repeatedly by partygoers at a weekend rave near Vancouver as onlookers snapped photos that have since found their way onto Facebook, the RCMP said Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Winnipeg Free Press.

In the scene

Toronto, Canada

#25 Sep 20, 2010
This is not cool. Most of you are just shocked by the words "Rape" any thing put next too it by the media makes every one feel sorry for the victim, but think about it. It was a rave, obviously she wasn't forced to go. The drugs she took, she took on her own will. Why you ask? well who goes to a rave to be sober? Most of you have never been to raves i take it, because drugs and group sex are common at these events. unless she was ii a k hole or blacked out, she did it on her own free will. If I had videos of all the girls that participate in group sex, you'd be even more shocked. I'm not talking out of my ass, or pretending to be educated, I'm just telling you what its like to do drugs and be in this scene. If she was raped, then its sad but I highly doubt if she was "gang raped" they would film videos for facebook. Clearly she was known amongst the crowd, made a stupid mistake and is embarrassed. It's not cool when your friends say you banged a bunch of guys last night. If It's a false rape cry she should be put in jail for just as long, because those accusations can ruin a persons life. Girls know where they are going, what they are going to be taking, and probably 90% of the time, the outcome also.
Manitoba

Altona, Canada

#26 Sep 20, 2010
Making prayers for that young girl....now the community knows who the next up and coming offenders are. They've outed themselves ! Present and Future predators
Wait for the truth

Vancouver, Canada

#27 Sep 20, 2010
I have not seen the pictures and I assume neither have most of you. I have however heard the story being told in Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge. The story I have heard is that the girl willingly had oral sex performed on her by one and I repeat one young man and that it was consensual. When the pair discovered they were being filmed they scrambled to get her clothes on and left the party together. The "Rape" story came up after the photos were posted and the police became involved. While I am appalled by someone posting these photos and I do believe that the persons responsible for posting them should be charged. I urge everyone, including the RCMP (who, incidentally, have ruined more than a few lives by jumping the gun) to wait till all of the facts are in before passing judgement. Imagine if it were your son and the only thing he did wrong was have consensual sex in public. You might have a different reaction to the news reports, and to the hang em high posts on sites like these.
Keri

Surrey, Canada

#28 Sep 20, 2010
woman who knows different wrote:
Ok the investigators need to look more into it because i KNOW that this girl was doing drugs all night and willingly went with him to have sex! They didnt even have sex he went down on her and some guys took pics of them in the field to make fun of her because shes a person who sleeps around, they didnt evem think that it would be child porn. Didnt even think of it. When her parents saw the photos she claimed rape. It wasnt a gang rape it was a girl all high like most ppl in maple ridge/ pitt meadows. Who wanted to get laid. The police need to look into more.
And you being from Toronto know this how?
hhhh

Toronto, Canada

#29 Sep 20, 2010
Just my thoughts.

I'm waiting on that tox report.

I think rape is tragic, but there are doubts of course. I don't want to say that "no decent girl would go to a rave". I've been in college and I know what of a thing called EXPERIMENTATION. I've been to a rave. I have tried weed before. I have drank a lot and puked. I didn't necessarily enjoyed those things. It was a period of 'trying things out'. Am I a bad person? Maybe by some person's standards. Did I turn out okay? I think so. I'm grown up now and I'm in medical school. But I haven't forgotten what it was like to be a teenager.

That being said, that's why I can't just merely think of a girl who goes to rave and stays out as a "bad" person. I'm not saying she's not a fault for having consensual sex in a public place though (if that is, what transpired that night).

My thoughts is that, words are just words at this stage. We have a lot of people saying she is raped. We have medical reports saying there are injuries. We have stories how this girl consent to it.

Actual evidence? Waiting for them. Tox reports, etc. It'll be another few weeks.

Witnesses? There are plenty! We seem to hear about them more ONLINE than REAL LIFE. Why aren't these people standing out, going to the police and speak out? They can do it anon. if they are afraid.

All I'm saying, people who know what happened should do the right thing and help the community out, or heck, help out the innocent boys or the innocent girl, whichever it may be. It's too easy for people to point fingers and preach online. People who know the truth... pleases enlighten the world.
Jhaen

Toronto, Canada

#30 Sep 21, 2010
but how do u know the truth, That she was raped!! that goes to all who defends her,or those who even thinks she was not. and the guy probably wont know she is 16 if she is in a club for ppl 18 and older. So he many not be the one to blame if it was consented. He is not suppose to ask for ID in a place that is only for legal adults.
HGarbanzo

Vancouver, Canada

#31 Sep 21, 2010
1. I agree with waiting on the toxicology reports.
2. If she was in fact under the influence of anything (drug or alcohol, and self-administered or not) then she cannot consent to sex by law.
3. She would not have been recovering from injuries in hospital if only oral sex with one partner was the case.
4. Rape kit (if it was able to be administered) may show the presence of semen, and may indicate whether there was more than one sexual partner.
5. Child pornography is still just that.

Whether she is promiscuous, whether she was alone in a dangerous environment, whether she had consented earlier at a sober time, and whether she went to the rave expecting and wanting to have multiple sex partners all have no bearing.

Mothers and Fathers: Teach your sons that NOBODY can consent while under the influence!

Men: If you are worried about someone "crying rape," then make sure you know them if you are having sex under the influence. Sex with strangers where drugs or alcohol are involved will always be a gamble on her ability to change her mind about consent. Get to know someone first! She holds the "power card," because the short end of the safety stick also belongs to her.

A little bit of an aside: "marital rape" doesn't exist in some countries because women do not have the power or ability to have control over their bodies and sexuality in reference to their husbands. They are presumed (and forced) to be always willing. Do we really want a situation where we victim blame and have rave rapes or party rapes be null because she was "asking for it?"
Jhaen

Toronto, Canada

#32 Sep 21, 2010
HGarbanzo wrote:
1. I agree with waiting on the toxicology reports.
2. If she was in fact under the influence of anything (drug or alcohol, and self-administered or not) then she cannot consent to sex by law.
3. She would not have been recovering from injuries in hospital if only oral sex with one partner was the case.
4. Rape kit (if it was able to be administered) may show the presence of semen, and may indicate whether there was more than one sexual partner.
5. Child pornography is still just that.
Whether she is promiscuous, whether she was alone in a dangerous environment, whether she had consented earlier at a sober time, and whether she went to the rave expecting and wanting to have multiple sex partners all have no bearing.
Mothers and Fathers: Teach your sons that NOBODY can consent while under the influence!
Men: If you are worried about someone "crying rape," then make sure you know them if you are having sex under the influence. Sex with strangers where drugs or alcohol are involved will always be a gamble on her ability to change her mind about consent. Get to know someone first! She holds the "power card," because the short end of the safety stick also belongs to her.
A little bit of an aside: "marital rape" doesn't exist in some countries because women do not have the power or ability to have control over their bodies and sexuality in reference to their husbands. They are presumed (and forced) to be always willing. Do we really want a situation where we victim blame and have rave rapes or party rapes be null because she was "asking for it?"
mostly every time someone meets in a club and make love there is an influence of alcohol, so it can never ever be legal, never should ppl drink and make love, is it something guys have to always run from, a girl with alcohol? that don't make sense. then, every night many many many guys should be going to bed, then i guess if guys consent to sex while under the influence of alcohol, then he should not be able to consent either, the woman should be held accountable, women always make a big deal when concerning each other, with that being said, it could of been a rape thing, and maybe not. anyways, if she was underage she should not be in the adult places, so the guys in adult clubs should not have to check. Also, women often never want to take responsibility for their actions, especially when it backfires on them, woman attack this guy without any hard detail evidence on what really happened and if knowing if it was the girl's intention, women need to realize that they can and should take some responsibility for their actions, and not find a way to blame guys for everything, even their mistakes, or curiosity. now, I am not judging this situation until all evidence is disclosed. until then, i wont make any conclusions. and when women drink and make consented mistakes it is the same as when guys drink and make consented mistakes. no excuses. take responsibility!
innocentvictim

Langley, Canada

#33 Sep 21, 2010
When I was 17 and I had a boyfriend whom was my first love.I only had sex with him.
I went to a party with my girlfriends and got very drunk and blacked out.4 guys took me out of the party and told people that they were taking me home.No one thought anything of it because they went to the same high school.I never made it home.I made it to a field where they all "raped me".They said I was willing but I have no rememberance of that night.When I was nowhere to be found my girlfriends had heard that these guys were driving me home and they thought something was up because they didnt know where I lived.So they drove looking for me.The park was where they found me already "raped".I had a steady boyfriend at the time whom I had dated for a year and a half.He was my first.Its a little unbelievable that any young girl would be willing enough to have sex with multiple guys with little to no experience.That was 23yrs ago and it still haunts me as will it her.Just think about it.
Grip

Oliver, Canada

#34 Sep 22, 2010
In all fairness a group of teen boys having a rape session with one teen girl is morally wrong. If I was in a position to stop it I would have done so immediately. They have to live with the experience the rest of their life, that in itself is a penalty no LAW could give them. In my opinion law and justice are just a cliche to false security when we as individuals have the due diligence to be what is true to the word law. Too bad the LAW has made us sheep in a pen.
HGarbanzo

Vancouver, Canada

#35 Sep 22, 2010
Jhaen: You have demonstrated your utter ignorance. The fact you would try to defend any of it without the most basic facts is bizarre to me.

These events did not take place at a club, but in a barn outside a private residence. It was a glorified house party (private rave), and as such did not have age restrictions on participants despite the fact illegal (underage) drinking and drug use was going on. No man (or woman for that matter) could make an assumption about age in this scenario because, unlike an official nightclub, identification was not required.

I don't deny that people meet in clubs drunk and sleep together all the time. Very, very frequently. I'm not even denying that these encounters can be enjoyable and are 99% of the time consensual in the commonly used sense of the word (ie agreed to). What I am stating is that consent cannot be given under the influence, period.

Yes, that applies to women AND men. Yes, that means the billions of sexual encounters following drunken nights are technically not consensual. This is why it's not wise to sleep with complete strangers under the influence of alcohol. They could always accuse rape, because NOBODY can consent under the influence. This is not a question of whether it should or should not be this way. It is the law.

You may not find this fair, but like I said, SHE holds the power card because SHE does not hold the safety card. What I mean by this is, women are physically weaker and socially oppressed in ways that make their basic safety less certain than that of men. Also, a woman is on the receiving end of sexual intercourse which means it can be forced on her in ways it's not usually upon men.

If a man was under the influence of alcohol and had sex where a woman used a strap-on, he could make a similar claim to non-consensual sex. Similarly, where 2 males having sex is concerned, rape can and does occur. In the same way, one man could later claim rape due to consenting under the influence.

This is all not to say, never have sex with strangers while drunk. Just know that they have the ability to call it rape if they consent while drunk or drugged. You are ALWAYS gambling on their integrity not to do that. You take your chances. This is the law to protect people (women and men) from being coerced with alcohol and taken advantage of.

The receiver of sex (male or female) has a lesser ability to resist by the nature of the act. A woman has less strength physically. Our laws will err on the side of safety, fair or unfair. Don't like it? THEN DON'T BLOODY HOOK UP WITH STRANGERS!!!!!
Jhaen

Toronto, Canada

#36 Sep 22, 2010
Jhaen wrote:
<quoted text>mostly every time someone meets in a club and make love there is an influence of alcohol, so it can never ever be legal, never should ppl drink and make love, is it something guys have to always run from, a girl with alcohol? that don't make sense. then, every night many many many guys should be going to bed, then i guess if guys consent to sex while under the influence of alcohol, then he should not be able to consent either, the woman should be held accountable, women always make a big deal when concerning each other, with that being said, it could of been a rape thing, and maybe not. anyways, if she was underage she should not be in the adult places, so the guys in adult clubs should not have to check. Also, women often never want to take responsibility for their actions, especially when it backfires on them, woman attack this guy without any hard detail evidence on what really happened and if knowing if it was the girl's intention, women need to realize that they can and should take some responsibility for their actions, and not find a way to blame guys for everything, even their mistakes, or curiosity. now, I am not judging this situation until all evidence is disclosed. until then, i wont make any conclusions. and when women drink and make consented mistakes it is the same as when guys drink and make consented mistakes. no excuses. take responsibility!
what happens in a situation when a woman leads it on, or performs oral sex?
just be responsible

Montréal, Canada

#37 Sep 23, 2010
innocentvictim wrote:
When I was 17 and I had a boyfriend whom was my first love.I only had sex with him.
I went to a party with my girlfriends and got very drunk and blacked out.4 guys took me out of the party and told people that they were taking me home.No one thought anything of it because they went to the same high school.I never made it home.I made it to a field where they all "raped me".They said I was willing but I have no rememberance of that night.When I was nowhere to be found my girlfriends had heard that these guys were driving me home and they thought something was up because they didnt know where I lived.So they drove looking for me.The park was where they found me already "raped".I had a steady boyfriend at the time whom I had dated for a year and a half.He was my first.Its a little unbelievable that any young girl would be willing enough to have sex with multiple guys with little to no experience.That was 23yrs ago and it still haunts me as will it her.Just think about it.
I think, it goes to show that you did not use your head and you got yourself into deep trouble, so you are still partly responsible for the fact that you did not think or used your head that night, I know it is a very hard lesson to learn but still an important reminder that using you good judgment is always key. And you cannot blame anybody else but yourself for that lesson.
men are all hungry

Vancouver, Canada

#38 Sep 23, 2010
to everyone who thinks that w.e happened is the girls fault...well clearly your not going to care less about the girl who got raped unless it was your own sister/daughter/mother. all you guys out there are just hungry for sex. doesnt matter how you get it...as long as its in. wat the hell is wrong with you guys. i'd like to see you write all of this bullcrap when someone whom you are close too ends up getting hurt...we'll see who is crying then!
just be responsible

Montréal, Canada

#39 Sep 23, 2010
HGarbanzo wrote:
You may not find this fair, but like I said, SHE holds the power card because SHE does not hold the safety card. What I mean by this is, women are physically weaker and socially oppressed in ways that make their basic safety less certain than that of men. Also, a woman is on the receiving end of sexual intercourse which means it can be forced on her in ways it's not usually upon men.
If a man was under the influence of alcohol and had sex where a woman used a strap-on, he could make a similar claim to non-consensual sex. Similarly, where 2 males having sex is concerned, rape can and does occur. In the same way, one man could later claim rape due to consenting under the influence.
This is all not to say, never have sex with strangers while drunk. Just know that they have the ability to call it rape if they consent while drunk or drugged. You are ALWAYS gambling on their integrity not to do that. You take your chances. This is the law to protect people (women and men) from being coerced with alcohol and taken advantage of.
The receiver of sex (male or female) has a lesser ability to resist by the nature of the act. A woman has less strength physically. Our laws will err on the side of safety, fair or unfair. Don't like it? THEN DON'T BLOODY HOOK UP WITH STRANGERS!!!!!
I would like to see what would happened if a guy said to the police that he was raped because he does not remember what happened the night before or he see what the women looks like and then realize he had slept with an ugly woman, then changed his mind and said that "she rapped me, I did not consent to that."

Nobody would give a second look and dismiss it, but if a girl gets drunk and has sex and then change her mind because she realize that her parents do not approve of her having sex at 16, understandable you may say, but what will happen to the innocent (underage or same age as the consenting at the time girl), guy that did nothing wrong. Well his life will be over and the girl's life will continue as if nothing happened and she will probably not even remember that she destroyed a guy's life in the first place, so life as usual.

Women do not take any responsibilities for their actions and the guy's life is screwed not big deals because nobody cares for the guy's anyway. Good morales you have. the problem is that society always make it that the guy should be responsible for the girl even if she says yes, and girls are never accountable for anything. She wants a child and he does not want it because he feels he is not ready or does not like her, well screw him she decides to have the kid and he is responsible for it, if women want to be respected in society, I would strongly suggest that they act responsibly and that they became accountable for their actions.

I am not saying that she or anybody deserve to be raped or have violence thrown their way. be if you go to a rave and you drink, and take drugs, you have to be responsible for the fact that other people around you are also intoxicated and will not use their full judgment, so be prepare to suffer the consequences or stay at home and do your homework or watch TV. You are the only one responsible for yourself, nobody else is to blame but yourself for your behavior. Guys have to live by that rule and also are always blame for someone else not doing their number one job, being responsible for their own actions and behaviors.
Ummmm

Saskatoon, Canada

#40 Sep 24, 2010
Considering she was at a RAVE, im gonna say she drugged herself.. a rave is basically alot of people doing drugs and listening to techno, with a strong sexual atmosphere. im not saying what the boys did was right, but you cant blame everything on them, she was there, she did the drugs and for all we know could just now be making up this story because she is embarassed that the pictures made it on the web.
May wrote:
What happened is unspeakable. No girl deserves this, no matter who they are or what kind of lifestyle they have. Sure, we could think of alternatives of how this girl should have acted, etc.. but in the end, these young punks made it impossible for her to use her better judgment when they drugged her. Shame on these boys and their parents. Couldn't they have been raised to at least be decent human beings? What a waste of life. They deserve what is coming to them in terms of both legal justice and street justice.
person

Mississauga, Canada

#41 Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, but the fact still stands at the moment is that WE DON'T KNOW if she was drugged or took drugs herself. It's not good to make the generalization that all people at raves do drugs. Or all people drink at clubs.(Which may in fact seem common place but I know lots of people who do and don't. So broaden your horizons by not limiting your scope of speculation to what YOU are familiar with.)

However, I do agree that there is reasonable doubt that this is 'rape' after listening to stories of eye witnesses and updated reports (ie. suspect + girl eating at McDonalds after... You will have to interpret this significance yourself, heh.). It DOES seem more likely that the girl will make up a cover-up story for herself, more likely than the eye witnesses to make up some story.

Don't get me wrong - I'm deeply disturbed that these events even happened in the first place, and it is deeply tragic if this is rape. But right now, I'm waiting for police updates and such. We can all speculate all we want... at the end of the day, we're all outsiders who try to make sense with the limited facts. More witnesses need to go to the police to tell them what they know!
Wait for the truth

Vancouver, Canada

#42 Sep 24, 2010
HGarbanzo wrote:
3. She would not have been recovering from injuries in hospital if only oral sex with one partner was the case.

Perhaps that is why she wasn't "recovering from injuries in hospital". She was examined.

She allegedly had some injuries, though what sort has not been reported. Any number of injuries can occur while at a party on a farm in the dark.
yup

Edmonton, Canada

#43 Sep 29, 2010
This
In the scene wrote:
This is not cool. Most of you are just shocked by the words "Rape" any thing put next too it by the media makes every one feel sorry for the victim, but think about it. It was a rave, obviously she wasn't forced to go. The drugs she took, she took on her own will. Why you ask? well who goes to a rave to be sober? Most of you have never been to raves i take it, because drugs and group sex are common at these events. unless she was ii a k hole or blacked out, she did it on her own free will. If I had videos of all the girls that participate in group sex, you'd be even more shocked. I'm not talking out of my ass, or pretending to be educated, I'm just telling you what its like to do drugs and be in this scene. If she was raped, then its sad but I highly doubt if she was "gang raped" they would film videos for facebook. Clearly she was known amongst the crowd, made a stupid mistake and is embarrassed. It's not cool when your friends say you banged a bunch of guys last night. If It's a false rape cry she should be put in jail for just as long, because those accusations can ruin a persons life. Girls know where they are going, what they are going to be taking, and probably 90% of the time, the outcome also.
And this
Wait for the truth wrote:
I have not seen the pictures and I assume neither have most of you. I have however heard the story being told in Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge. The story I have heard is that the girl willingly had oral sex performed on her by one and I repeat one young man and that it was consensual. When the pair discovered they were being filmed they scrambled to get her clothes on and left the party together. The "Rape" story came up after the photos were posted and the police became involved. While I am appalled by someone posting these photos and I do believe that the persons responsible for posting them should be charged. I urge everyone, including the RCMP (who, incidentally, have ruined more than a few lives by jumping the gun) to wait till all of the facts are in before passing judgement. Imagine if it were your son and the only thing he did wrong was have consensual sex in public. You might have a different reaction to the news reports, and to the hang em high posts on sites like these.
OMG

Saskatoon, Canada

#45 Oct 1, 2010
Seriously ppl SHE'S SIXTEEN. Christ sakes going on and on about how she should know better, dirty little slut, she deserved it what the hell is WRONG with you! She's barely old enough to have a drivers license. She's still a child, she probably just started experimenting with the whole "party scene" and you make it sound like she's an age old vet. Think about what your saying before you say it. Imagine it was you. A little sympathy is needed here whether she consented or not. I would die if someone put naked pictures of me on the internet and I'm 20. This is going to scar this poor girl for life. Christ Sakes.
Idiots

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Startups Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sex offender last seen in Beaumont added to sta... Sat judy 3
News Philadelphia's unnecessary war on Catholics May 24 Magic Utah Uwear 3
News Facebook Wants Your Naked Pics to - Proactively... May 23 C Kersey 1
News Musk proposes media credibility site, journalis... May 23 Solarman 1
News Hacker Threatened To 'Ruin' Oklahoma Teen Unles... May 22 standup 1
News Oklahoma County GOP says Facebook, website poss... May 21 leftymcgee 2
News Even though he didn't vote for President Trump,... May 19 YouDidntBuildThat 1