Hanks hires boys basketball coach

Full story: El Paso Times

Hanks High School has welcomed back one of its own. Manny Flores III, a 1997 Hanks graduate and basketball standout, has been named the varsity boys basketball head coach, the Ysleta Independent School District announced Monday.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 53 of53
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
HHS

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2012

Ye of little faith two words, Sweet Sixteen!!!! Always believed in you and your program Coach Flores.
EP Coach

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

You are right, 9-21 speakes for itself, but so does taking a talented, senior loaded team and dragging it down to 21-10 instead of the 25-5 they should have been. Included in that 21-10 record was a loss at home in the last game of the season with a playoff berth on the line (character?). That loss was to a very young and average Montwood team that only won becauses of coaching. You are wrong in one respect - nobody was talking that way about Harper. I am familiar with both programs - players, coaches and parents. Harper did a great job last year and coach Flores has done a very poor job for two years.
PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT ON FLORES NOW? 3rd year and takes his team to the sweet 16........lets hear what excuses you make now?
Hanks Alumni

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2012

Pathetic! WOW! I just read all 42 comments that have been posted back when Mr Flores got this job! Most of you all should be ashamed of what you wrote! Seems like just a year ago he was the worse coach in El Paso, now he had the entire city of El Paso cheering and supporting his team! Funny how we are quick to judge people. Coach Flores (and your entire program) CONGRATS to you guys. 24 wins in his 3rd year and a trip to the 5A SWEET 16 speaks for itself! I must say I AM PROUD TO BE A KNIGHT! "I BELIEVE" :)
Craig

Norman, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

Judged:

Let us not forget who coached these players before they were handed off to Coach Flores, Coach Guy Crenshaw and Henry Meilli. Yes, they made it to the sweet 16 and that is a great accomplishment, HOWEVER the things Crenshaw and Meilli taught them stuck with them. Not completely forgetting about Manny, I'm sure he taught them some things as well. We must keep in mind that these are the weakest crop of teams that anybody has seen in 10-15 years, possibly ever. It is through these circumstances that they won, look at Manny's first year, lost with a FAR BETTER team than this year's. If those two teams played each other, class of '10 would whoop them. Lack of competition, previous coaching, player dedication, and a fairly easy bracket is why they got that far. If they were in a different position in the bracket, lets say for sake of argument, Coronado's position they would have lost much sooner as they would have played North Crowley. Manny you are a nice guy, but you were handed this job. Everyone knows it. Henry you are the definition of a great coach, you teach your players many things on and off the court. I am grateful for everything you've taught me, it sucks that corruption and the good ol boy system is how things work nowadays. To address the rumors that Meilli smokes pot and parties with his players and all that nonsense, that is complete bullshit. It is sad that someone would take the time to make up such crap as that. Keep your head up coach and continue to be the honest man that you have always been. Louis Martinez has got to be the most slimy, crooked, and controlling person I have ever met. I hope that one day he will get his. It is no surprise that they ran you out of Las Cruces. He has completely ran Hanks High School into the ground. Upon graduation it was not the same school I attended freshman year. Your teachers are unhappy, you play favoritism and threaten anyone who disagrees with you with termination. This is why your school does not perform sir.
"Leadership: The art of getting someone to do what you want them to do because he WANTS to do it." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
"I light my candle from their torches."- Robert Burton
Boomer

Norman, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

^^^ That post is mine in reply to Craig, not craigs.
someone who has a clue

Sierra Vista, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2012

Judged:

Boomer wrote:
^^^ That post is mine in reply to Craig, not craigs.
what is wrong w/you people...manny flores took a team with no college prospects and won big! he has a kid who played at a top juco in otero jc went to njcaa elite 8 and is getting a full DI scholarship---because of manny flores and what he did for him! wow you people are crazy....hanks to texas sweet 16---you all should be sure you keep him around...
Former Faculty

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

I Believe in Flukes!! I Believe in Karma!!
Well, I was happy for the sports programs at Hanks high school until I read these arrogant blogs. These are an extension of that principal.
Furthermore, having a winning season and developing a winning program are two completely different things. Just as real gold and fool’s gold are.
Coach Crenshaw and Coach Meili left the program in great shape to be successful. There has never been an issue of rebuilding, they just had to reload and make good decisions. Hanks basketball is a program that has a tradition of consistently winning district titles and getting to the sweet 16.
Unfortunately, from day one the players resented the actions of Manny Flores breaking traditions, lack of communication and he lost control of the locker room. Players played for themselves, not for the coaches. Who in their right mind throws away uniforms and equipment that are less than two years old? That dumpster by the cafeteria is where tax payer’s money has been going. Pictures of this were shown to an associate superintendent at central office. Are you surprised that nothing happened.
Again, this was a “Fool’s Gold” season for Flores. He is only about winning because he didn’t play a couple of seniors until the central office folks started coming to games. This was a result of complaints from players and parents about Flores’ explicit behavior towards players behind closed doors. This was all covered up by that principal who has enabled a lot of the attitude and behavior that Flores has. Central office folks weren’t there to support the program; they were babysitting to make sure Flores did the right thing.
What will Flores day when that principal is gone?
He will finally have to teach classes, like everyone else.
He will finally be a test proctor or hall monitor for the TAKS test, like everyone else.
He will have to give up his master keys and key to the principal’s office, no one has this.
He will have to follow the dress code, like everyone else.
He will have to call in absences, like everyone else.
He will have to attend faculty meetings, like everyone else.
He will be treated like everyone else.
THIS IS WHY MANNY FLORES IS NOT LIKED (The Golden Boy – The Chosen One). He has been enabled and entitled to do what he wants. Other established and Hall of Fame Coaches have never been this “spoiled.” When you do things like this for a coach who already lacks maturity and being humble, then you have created the environment that currently exist on campus. Every head coach at Hanks high school Teaches, except for Manny and the Athletic Coordinator Coach McKinney. Athletic Coordinators are exempt from teaching as part of their job description.
As a show of class and respect to Hanks high school, the community that rallied around him and the basketball program; Manny Flores applied for out of town positions before, during and after the season. He doesn’t want to be at Hanks, it is just a stepping stone. In his mind, he’s too good to be at a 4A school.
Dan White

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Mr. Flores & Staff,

GREAT JOB!!!!!!! 24-9 District Champs, Bi-District Champs, Area Champs, Regional Quater Final Champs..........JOB WELL DONE

Tina Morrow

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Congrats to Coach Flores, Coach Mora, and Coach Morales! You guys are doing an outstanding job molding and mentoring those young boys. Thank You for all you do!

GO KNIGHTS!!!!!!
James Roy former Player

San Marcos, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Judged:

EHS Parent wrote:
To Jenny and Mr. Johnson,
I really feel bad for you guys (as well as your kids/grandson.) Coach Meili has been overlooked for several jobs... there's a REASON for that. His kids don't LEARN anything. All Meili is worried about is WINNING, not teaching!!!!!!!! FYI....NO ONE REALLY CARES about Freshman/JV winning championships. Its about developing kids at that level for Varsity - plain and simple. Something that Meili does not do or else he would not be in the position he's in. He has no integrity as a coach BUT the man knows how to not only manipulate kids...he knows how to manipulate PARENTS as well. His demeanor on the court is somewhat comical. You don't think athletic directors and principals notice? There is a reason why he is not a head coach!! He tried to be the "SNAKE" when Guy Crenshaw was there - and NOW its against Flores. Meili was not even a runner up for the job at Hanks. If Flores didn't get the job - it was gonna be Vanley from Parkland. Where were all these negative comments towards the Hanks BBall program/Flores last year? Coach Flores was the same Coach this year as he was last year. Now all of the sudden he's a bad coach. Again, these kids are a total reflection on their parents/grandparents. If you guys are so unhappy with the way Hanks/Mr. Martinez/Flores do things - TRANSFER your kids to the other 17 high schools in el paso. I promise you will realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. To Coach Flores, WE WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OF LUCK! Good things happen to Good people.
I dont know where you get the "his players dont really learn anything from him part" I for one learned more from Coach Meili about not only the game of basketball, but about life. He didnt only care about winning all of his teams wre succesfull because we belived in our coach, we trusted him with everything. I remember on more than one occation going to coach Meili after he was fired just for the supporting words he would give me. He was my father away from home. I literally wanted to cry when he got fired. Flo was never there for us, he treated all of us like shit. I was in special ed, and Flo was my mentor, and he didn't do SHIT for me, i went to Coach Meili for advise. I will NEVER call Flo a coach, as a matter of fact i know that the team last year didnt win it because of Flo, but rather in spite of him. Flo is not a good pearson by any means, he is just there to fluf up hus resume, so he can go to dallas. The only time i went to Flo for advise, was right before the season last year, and during the whole conversation all I got was an asshole sitting there on his cell phone not paying any attention to me. All i got to say is thank god i no longer have to se that fucking prick's face anymore
HHS 2010 Bball

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

James Roy.....there's a reason for your bitterness and stupidity. In 3 years - you played a total of like 5 min! Everyone knows why u stayed on the team - bc your parents were big cry babies like u and ran to administration when u got your feelings hurt. Not to mention you bought Meili lunch all the time (oh and your momma would bring Meili tamales) all the time.....Your a sad excuse for even being mentioned in the same sentence as hanks basketball. U are NOT and will NEVER part of hanks basketball. Ur pathetic and I'm glad I never played on your team. I'm glad Coach was smart enough to get rid of you!!!!!!!!!! So was everyone else!!!!!!!!! And that's on boys.
Hanks Hoops 2010

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

1st of all James Roy - being part of a freshman B team and on the JV team as a soph/junior doesn't allow you to THNK you're part of the Tradition of Hanks BBall. Roy your a JOKE and you look even more like an idiot with those stupid comments! ha ha ha I can't believe you have the nerve to call yourself "James Roy former player" ha ha ha Roy your a joke!!!!!!!!!! Crenshaw should have cut you the 1st day of your 9th grade year - how in the HELL did you last 3 years???????
Tom Work- Austin Texas

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

The Hell with Flores!!!! And his daddy Louis Martinez!!!( Little Napolean) Heard they moved him to another campus, its about time!! See what flores does without him, maybe now he has to work at the school, instead of walking around the school on his phone. Its a school flores your suppose to be a teacher!! Maybe now with new administration you will have to teach like the other coaches on campus. You rotten PUNK!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 53 of53
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••