WNC travel teams looking for players

WNC travel teams looking for players

There are 10 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 13, 2008, titled WNC travel teams looking for players. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Across Western North Carolina, youth travel teams are gearing up for the coming season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

HS Coach

United States

#1 Jan 13, 2008
As far as I am concerned travel ball wether it
is baseball, softball, or basketball does
more damage by far, than good. I could go into the reasons but this forum doesn't have enough room for me to elaborate on all the issues. All I will say that kids that play travel sometimes develop an attitude that they are better than they are and because of this they aren't coachable when they reach HS. The only major HS sport that doesn't have a travel ball program is football and it is definitely better for it.
just curious

Casar, NC

#2 Jan 13, 2008
HS Coach wrote:
more damage by far, than good. I could go into the reasons but this forum doesn't have enough room for me to elaborate on all the issues. All I will say that kids that play travel sometimes develop an attitude that they are better than they are and because of this they aren't coachable when they reach HS. The only major HS sport that doesn't have a travel ball program is football and it is definitely better for it.
that would depend on who is coaching those kids. I coached travel baseball for 4-5 years and the coaches at the h.s my son plays for believe he and his teammates are better for it and they are appreciative of how far advanced they are compared to others their age. But I do agree with you that I have seen during those 4-5 years coaching alot of things that if I were a h.s. coach I wouldn't like. I believe if I were a h.s. coach I would find a way to monitor what my players are doing and try to have some type of positive relationship with the travel ball coaches rather than adversarial because I don't believe the travel ball teams are going away......just a thought
travel parent

Waynesville, NC

#3 Jan 14, 2008
I have a child that has played on a travel team since she was 10 yrs old. I am stunned to hear that a "HS Coach" is anything other than grateful to the travel teams and coaches. From the stands, I can see the difference between players who travel and those who don't. These organizations teach the fundamentals and drill work that develops an athlete's skills. When they get to middle or high school, they already have the fundamentals and the coaches don't have to teach the basics. From what I understand, middle school athletics are almost non-existent. The schedules have been reduced by at least half. So the kids won't be getting training at middle school either. With regard to the athlete's attitude, I believe that you can keep your child humble and "coachable" while playing travel ball. I do think some athletes have an attitude of superiority that can be controlled at home. Or coaches can nip that by benching the superior athlete until lessen learned. Can't put points on the board from the bench. There is no "I" in the word team. And I reinforce that at home.
student-athlete parent

Zirconia, NC

#4 Jan 14, 2008
My daughter has played both school ball and travel ball and I can see both points of this arguement. I can only speak for us, by far my daughter has benefited from the rigors of travel ball as opposed to school ball. She has learned what hard work, sacrafice and a team attitude is about from both arenas. Her high school coach was awesome with the technique of how to play ball. Her travel ball coaches have reinforced and taken her game to the next level and she will hopefully have an opportunity to attend and play college ball on scholarship both academic and athletic. As to the level of competition there is no comparison...if you want competition bring it to the world of travel ball, if you want to up your game bring your can do attitude and join us on the travel ball circuit. Then go back to school take all you've learned and join your team and help your team be the very best they can. No one person is any better than the weakest player on the team so help them out Let the two worlds work together. Travel ball players check your ego at the dug out fence or the gym doors. No matter what enjoy these times, they pass too quickly.
little league coach

Candler, NC

#5 Dec 31, 2011
I have two sons and I have faught puting them in travel baseball. I have been to some of the games and I will say that some of the coaches are awful. and some are really good. I coach my sons so they get what baseball is about. we have awful coaches in little league as well. What im saying is that you have bad and good in travel and little league. I teach the fundamentals and proper technique and this sport is about team play and not about one player on a team. I guess this is why kids from all over want to play for my assistant and I. Im not braging but it's the truth. We let them know we really dont care if they win or lose as long as they give it there all. We also let them know not to confuse it. we want to win but we will do it as one unit. No allstars on our team just a allstar team if that makes sence to you.
dad for proper training

Louisville, TN

#6 Jun 11, 2012
My son has seen both sides of league ball and travel ball. One thing we have seen in commen is daddy ball. So when does ability and skill come in? He has played up and his skill was recognized. He played his age and daddy ball was an issue. He has had personnal trainers that I believe have helped him reach his potential. I could compare him to those that play travel ball and say that his skill level is equivelant to those that just play travel ball. I believe travel ball is a good thing for training, if you are getting it, but his personal traing will be what sets him apart from other players his age including travel ball players. I havent seen many players, even in travel ball, whose skills exceed his. So, to me, remains the question, what is better travel ball or one on one training. One on one training is better because it teaches the fundementals and his coach can concentrate on him to help him not twelve other kids.
Dave

Ellijay, GA

#7 Jun 15, 2012
HS Coach wrote:
Coach if you really believe playing a sport at a higher level harms you as an athlete, I am glad you don't coach at our high school...joke!
3ballas

Asheville, NC

#8 Aug 28, 2012
To be the best you must pit yourself against the best. High school teams can not start 5 players and then sub and have the same caliber player on the floor a tremendous drop off in ability/talent. To say these travel ball players have attitude they should because they have put in the time and sweat on their craft and know that everyting thay have accomplished is through hard work and not riding the coat tells of others.
Travel ball player

Candler, NC

#10 Feb 6, 2013
I think travel ball is the best cause I work hard and get pushed to the best of my abilities and I'm not cocky at all but some kids on my team are
Stat Dad

Weaverville, NC

#12 Mar 4, 2015
We have a real problem at our school. Our coach plays kids who's parents work for the school. Here's 1 example. There are 4 kids on the JV team who's parents are iss teachers or Subs. Last year the JV won 0 games. The kids moving up are all on a travel team that won at the EXPO level. One played on a 16u team, and had a 650 BA 7.4 60 and zero errors. He is in the dugout while the kid who runs a 8.1 60, BA 210 and had 9 errors starts. So we're loosing that kid to a rival school. The other 3 are just going to play showcase ball. My kid now wants to quit and go showcase only. I won't let him quit but next year he will stay travel only. The showcase coaches want to win, and play the best kids while instructing the lesser skilled players. By the way look at how many kids in the College World Series were home schooled travel kids. 38% to be exact. And 83% played showcase.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Benjamin to apply for vacant Las Cruces High co... (Apr '09) Aug 25 Fart news 19
News Pittsburg looking to make a splash in Bay Area ... Aug 23 Fart news 2
News Baby dies shortly after being transported from ... Aug 18 Fart news 2
News Southeast Polk struggles with suicides (Nov '08) Aug 17 Fart news 100
News Trail runner rescued during stormy night near M... (Dec '09) Aug 15 Fart news 73
Want to play soccer in Canada ?? (Jun '08) Aug 13 Ernest 197
News UCSC students create new tools to archive and e... Jul '15 Fart news 5
More from around the web