Western Carolina's search for a footb...

Western Carolina's search for a football coach turning into a b...

There are 79 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Dec 15, 2007, titled Western Carolina's search for a football coach turning into a b.... In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

At what point does the job search for a new football coach at Western Carolina evolve from a thorough process of hiring the best man for the job to the desperate act of finding someone willing to take it? It's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Catatonic

Savannah, GA

#43 Dec 16, 2007
The days of the athletic director and football coach as one and the same are long over. The combination of Title IX and the explosion of multiple sports teams requiring oversight at most schools helped end that, along with the fact that you don't want to have to replace athletic directors every time you fire a coach or see one leave for greener pastures.
Native

United States

#44 Dec 16, 2007
WCU Grad wrote:
<quoted text>
GET THIS.....AL DEGRAFFENREID IS NOT THE BEST CHOICE. HE WAS "LET GO" AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. JIMMY CLEAVELAND IS NOW THE AD FOR SMOKY MOUNTAIN! Hiring Al would be a big mistake for all involved!
Bobby Poss is the logical choice. He should have been the first person contacted for the WCU coaching job. He would have the football peogram back on track in two years.

Since: Dec 07

Marietta, GA

#45 Dec 16, 2007
I'm no expert and don't pretend to know who we should hire - with Catamount ties or not. I am, however, EXTREMELY disappointed at the Willis debacle - for many reasons. Thanks for the info, Keit Jarrett.

There are still plenty of talented coaches (with egos to match) who may feel they can turn this program around - but time is running out this year. Is the hold up because Smith & Co were waiting for the Div II season to end? Doubtful after hearing Willis was offered the job this week.

Like others commenting above - I'm not sure bringing us back to football life will be an easy task, but it CAN and eventually - WILL be done. I just hope it is in my lifetime.

GO CATS!(I'm proud of the baseball, basketball, soccer, track and golf programs that seem to be doing fairly well to great.)
No Whee on Me

United States

#46 Dec 16, 2007
And the history is..........
yes the HALF football stadium was build, The huge Ramsey Center poorly designed, with seats too far away from the basketball floor;to feel like you are a part of the team ; multipurposed, yet not suitable for concerts or speeches, hard to get into; too big to keep in sharp repair or even fill with a crowd; broken SKATING RINK still there;;;;;;;
and The baseball field was build by a coach with a tractor in the 70's and then later a baseball player's Dad contribution of upgrade because of the coach at the time,
things well planned and cared for make a difference......
As for football paying for other sports,,,,,check and see what the expense of the football program is balanced with what it brings in.... yes the money did run out for the other sports......
Doug Mead

Buffalo, MO

#47 Dec 16, 2007
Keith, stop being so negative. Don't make me come back there.

Dad
Kittymount

AOL

#48 Dec 16, 2007
No Whee on Me wrote:
And the history is..........
yes the HALF football stadium was build, The huge Ramsey Center poorly designed, with seats too far away from the basketball floor;to feel like you are a part of the team ; multipurposed, yet not suitable for concerts or speeches, hard to get into; too big to keep in sharp repair or even fill with a crowd; broken SKATING RINK still there;;;;;;;
and The baseball field was build by a coach with a tractor in the 70's and then later a baseball player's Dad contribution of upgrade because of the coach at the time,
things well planned and cared for make a difference......
As for football paying for other sports,,,,,check and see what the expense of the football program is balanced with what it brings in.... yes the money did run out for the other sports......
When the Ramsey Center was built it was far better than Reid Gymn and the football field was alot better than the old field behind the library. You are right about the baseball field and Dalton's Carpet of Ga. was a big contributor to that facility. As far as cost of the football program is concerned, what impact do you think a good football program that could draw 25 to 30 thousands fans per game would do for the athletic program. That is what ASU is doing now. Please read Keith's article on how football has become a cash cow for ASU. I just remember how the stands were almost filled for WCU games when Waters coached and the student body only had about 3,000 students. I'm sure the football program is in the red at WCU and that is because the program has not had the commitment from the administration or students during the last 15 to 20 years. As far as seating in the Ramsey Center is concerned, try going to an N.C. State game and watch it from the second level and the players look like midgets. The Ramsey Center was built to be a multi-purpose facility and you tend to loose something when trying to satisfy all kinds of use for the facility.
WCU Alumni

Canton, NC

#49 Dec 16, 2007
OK - that's enough. I've read 47 comments and I can't take it any longer. First of all, I think it's pretty clear that those of us who don't live in western NC are much more tolerant of Mr. Jarrett and his attempts to ridicule Western Carolina University. It's a little more difficult for those of us who live in the mountains and are forced to look at his ugly face every morning when we open the newspaper. I understand the theory that Mr. Jarrett's reporting is good for the university because it makes the public aware of the mistakes that have been made and thereby forces WCU officials to be accountable. I can promise you one thing, however, that is not Jarrett's motivation. If it were, he could report the facts without being an arrogant jerk. If you are an informed person, you can reach no other conclusion than that this is personal. What other topics are so near and dear to Mr. Jarrett that they are worthy of an "opinion" column?? Answer: not many. Obviously, there is a personal vendetta and I am left to wonder why that is the case. What did WCU do to tick him off?? Is he just a Boon Goon in disguise?? Is he mad because he didn't get a press pass or an interview or a refill of his big orange bellywash at the concession stand?? Are there too many steps up the to press box to waddle his big butt up there without getting out of breath?? Tell me - WHAT IS IT????? I don't know but I do know if you alumni had happy memories of WCU like I do, you wouldn't think Jarrett is on your side. If you cared at all, you wouldn't thank him for his ridicule.
IKNOWWHY

United States

#50 Dec 16, 2007
WCU Alumni wrote:
OK - that's enough. I've read 47 comments and I can't take it any longer. First of all, I think it's pretty clear that those of us who don't live in western NC are much more tolerant of Mr. Jarrett and his attempts to ridicule Western Carolina University. It's a little more difficult for those of us who live in the mountains and are forced to look at his ugly face every morning when we open the newspaper. I understand the theory that Mr. Jarrett's reporting is good for the university because it makes the public aware of the mistakes that have been made and thereby forces WCU officials to be accountable. I can promise you one thing, however, that is not Jarrett's motivation. If it were, he could report the facts without being an arrogant jerk. If you are an informed person, you can reach no other conclusion than that this is personal. What other topics are so near and dear to Mr. Jarrett that they are worthy of an "opinion" column?? Answer: not many. Obviously, there is a personal vendetta and I am left to wonder why that is the case. What did WCU do to tick him off?? Is he just a Boon Goon in disguise?? Is he mad because he didn't get a press pass or an interview or a refill of his big orange bellywash at the concession stand?? Are there too many steps up the to press box to waddle his big butt up there without getting out of breath?? Tell me - WHAT IS IT????? I don't know but I do know if you alumni had happy memories of WCU like I do, you wouldn't think Jarrett is on your side. If you cared at all, you wouldn't thank him for his ridicule.
Actually, the reason is Keith Jarrett was kicked out of Western. He used to b a student at WCU before he went to UNCA! He does have a personal reason to hate them!!!!!!!!
Check the SoCon History

United States

#51 Dec 16, 2007
This is not to cast aspersions on the legacy of Coach Waters, but a quick glance at that Coach’s SOCON record will quickly show that his was not a winning program, at least not from a SOCON perspective. During Coach Water’s SOCON tenure, between 1977 and 1989, the Catamount SOCON record was a dismal 33-48-4 for a winning percentage of about 39%. The Cat’s won no SOCON championships during that period. In 1983 the Cats had 11 wins but the SOCON was won by Furman because they had played one more SOCON game than WCU (7 vs. 6) and had a better SOCON won-loss record (6-0-1 vs. 5-0-1).(SOCON web site: http://www.soconsports.com/pdf6/20783.pdf... .)

During the same time frame, and remember this is the pre-Jerry Moore era, the Appalachian State record was 55-27-4 for a winning percentage of about 64%. The Mountaineers won 2 SOCON championships during that period.

WCU has never done well in FOOTBALL since joining the Southern Conference.
WCUAlum06

Temple, GA

#52 Dec 17, 2007
All this makes me ashamed that I attended such a lousy institution
Kittymount

Greensboro, NC

#53 Dec 17, 2007
Check the SoCon History wrote:
This is not to cast aspersions on the legacy of Coach Waters, but a quick glance at that Coach’s SOCON record will quickly show that his was not a winning program, at least not from a SOCON perspective. During Coach Water’s SOCON tenure, between 1977 and 1989, the Catamount SOCON record was a dismal 33-48-4 for a winning percentage of about 39%. The Cat’s won no SOCON championships during that period. In 1983 the Cats had 11 wins but the SOCON was won by Furman because they had played one more SOCON game than WCU (7 vs. 6) and had a better SOCON won-loss record (6-0-1 vs. 5-0-1).(SOCON web site: http://www.soconsports.com/pdf6/20783.pdf... .)
During the same time frame, and remember this is the pre-Jerry Moore era, the Appalachian State record was 55-27-4 for a winning percentage of about 64%. The Mountaineers won 2 SOCON championships during that period.
WCU has never done well in FOOTBALL since joining the Southern Conference.
What was Waters' record against ASU during his coaching career?
purplegoldcat

Ramsey, NJ

#54 Dec 17, 2007
WCU Alum wrote:
There are two highly qualified candidates that have stronger WCU ties than either the current chancellor or AD.
Al "Mutt" Degraffenreid, a former player and coach at WCU, sits right down the road in Sylva and would be a perfect fit for the job. He has been a lifelong Cullowhee supporter. He is highly qualified and sitting right in the middle of the outsiders there right now in Sylva.
Another young gun who is an assistant at Appalachian State and has strong recent history with Western is Lonnie Galloway. He was QB at WCU while I was a student there and still holds many records. He has been a part of three national championships with the Boone Goons (yes, they are dang good though) and who better to recruit people to Cullowhee than someone who was there and played himself?
If ethnicity is a prerequisite, both fit the bill. This is coming from another WASP from WNC.
Get one of these guys and let's get things going again.
Al "Mutt" DeGraffenreid is a good man, but as lazy as a sleepy bear. He was run off from Cherokee High as head coach after fans and players complained that he only showed up a few times a week for practice and was only there for a paycheck. He was AD at Smoky Mountain simply to watch his daughter Cetera play basketball, and resigned the day after she graduated. Suggesting Mutt Degraffenreid to be WCU's head coach is a joke,, he is a lazy lazy man.
purplegoldcat

Ramsey, NJ

#55 Dec 17, 2007
Mutt Degraffenreid is a lazy man,, he was run off from Cherokee when they found out he was the head coach simply to get a paycheck from the Tribe, and then named was AD at Smoky Mountain just to ensure that his daughter didn't transfer to another school. He is a lazy, lazy man...
GSU FAN

Columbia, SC

#56 Dec 17, 2007
Hey WCU maybe you should just scrap football altogether and put your money somewhere else. You could devide up your football stuff between GSU, App and Furman at least these teams would use the stuff to win games. Cheers :)
Paws

United States

#57 Dec 17, 2007
The only logical choice for Head Football Coach is Todd Berry, Associate Head Coach at UNLV. End of story...
Clicker

United States

#58 Dec 17, 2007
GSU FAN wrote:
Hey WCU maybe you should just scrap football altogether and put your money somewhere else. You could devide up your football stuff between GSU, App and Furman at least these teams would use the stuff to win games. Cheers :)
Heh. You guys better tend your own garden. Startin to look a little middle-of-the-packish yourselves. Take it from us, it's a slippery slope.
Clicker

United States

#59 Dec 17, 2007
I believe the only place Mutt DeGraffenreid's name has been mentioned is on this board, so all this teeing off on him at a personal level seems kind of lame.
84 Alum

Charlotte, NC

#60 Dec 17, 2007
Seems that Smith and Bardo are are so incompudent they sent emails to the students asking what type of profile the fooball coach should have. You have got to be kidding me. Thats their job. I would be fired for doing something so stupid in my job.
Lil Bit

San Antonio, TX

#61 Dec 17, 2007
I heard rumors that there were NCAA regulation violations in Willis' past that Smith & Bardo didn't know about until a board of trustee member brought it up & they were left w/egg on their faces, and thus rescinded the offer. Plus he left his wife for a student when he was at Pikeville(now his wife) Smith should be fired. Duke, Nebraska, Arkansas have all hired new head coaches in a shorter time. And Western had the chance to hire a big-time coach in Sanders instead of one from a smaller school which is the last thing the program needs.
Bill Henson

United States

#62 Dec 17, 2007
CATCADET wrote:
Mutt is a long time friend of mine, but his health is definetly a negative for him to go into the grind of coaching again.
I, definetly feel that Mutt should be a candidate for the Hall of fame at Western. I have recommended him in writing 4 times for the Hall of fame as, a players,as a a Coach etc., and to no avail, but age, health etc., coaching days are over.
Lonnie galloway sounds interesting, but a guy that was not considered at all that if allowed to coach his team would be Coach Geoff Collins, but again, not considered, too young, too aggressive, burned bridges etc.
Finally, Bill Bleil was called every name in the book, aka, Toren Gordon, and Coach Brent Pry. Bill and his wife were great citizens of Cullowhee, he took over a debacle of a program in shambles as it is today 2-9 record(Hodgin's last year) and his last year SoCon Coach of the year, 7 wins 4 losses and 18 starters to come back for the next season. He has done great since leaving Cullowhee, and is presently the Assistant Head Coach at Akron, and is doing great, and from what I have heard, only says great things about WCU and the community.
Lonnie, Geoff, Bill, three guys, with only one with head coaching experience, that will not be considered, but, what do I know? I do know that Alphonso "MUTT" Degraphenreid needs to be put in our Hall of Fame.
GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't know Al was in poor health. Soorry to hear it. You are right! He definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame.Al is a first class gentleman. We are enjoying watching his daughter play basketball for the lady Tarheels this year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Remembering when horses of all types were at ho... (Feb '09) Tue Ann Hughes Dean 86
News Dark side of labor: Day laborers in Plainfield ... (Feb '11) Jun 18 Christina 2
News Something new to cheer about Jun 17 Fred 1
News New golf program hits Sault Ste. MarieSault Ste... Jun 16 2 xtremes 1
News Registration Planned for Tri-Valley Thunder Gir... (Mar '10) Jun 14 nah 5
News Muhammad Ali fought in some of the biggest figh... Jun 4 Not The Greatest 1
News Boers embracing the pressure of Team Ontario play May '16 sports 1
More from around the web