United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2008

Judged:

Knoxville 8th grade football team goes undefeated again. This team is the most talented class to come through Knoxville, Iowa in 50 years. Maybe even the best. If this class stays at it they will be the team to beat their senior year. Speed,speed,speed.That's something you can't teach and they are loaded from top to bottom.
Owen

Knoxville, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2008

Judged:

A lot of things must happen for these kids to live up the expectations some people have placed on them. Some parents are saying some of these boys will start or play varsity next year. That is a crazy notion! I've watched these boys play and they are boys with a lot of growing to do.
Panther

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

Ther is no chance of any of these boys playing varsity next year. You are 100 % correct on them needing to do alot of growing.They are under sized in every game they play. They make it up by speed and being intense. This group of kids are very close in all activities that they do.Looking for this class to do lots of wonders.
Owen

Montezuma, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

So many things impact how well a group of kids will perfom in high school. How many of these boys will stay out? How will their O and D line develop? Will their parents be supportive, or will they become negative? Will the players stay academically eligible? How talented are the classes infront of and behind this class?
Panther

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

Pella? You guys always have a top notch program. My hats off to you and many others in the community there. I watched the game the other night against Pella and I have one question/ Why do they play the huge kid as a tailback. That kid will not be running the ball when he is high school unless its at the goalline or something.
Pella always has big kids. Must be a dutch thing?
The freshaman class at Knoxville is ok. They aren't going to flatter you with anything realy. They are starting to put it together, which is a nice thing to see.
The 7th graders have a small group of kids that stand out. They are realy undersized at this age so far. It's another class that ahs some kids that can move along pretty good when needed.
Owen

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Judged:

You are right, the big kid who was at tail back will not be playing tail back in HS. Who knows why they do that. He also played tackle and LB. He moved well side to side at his LB position. I know the Knoxville Head Coach has told his MS coaches to play kids in places where they can develop for the furture. Get some athletic people on the O-line. He knows they are little up front, but it would be nice to have some athleticism up front. They haven't had good athletes up front for a very long time.
Panther

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Judged:

Agree with you on that one. The thing that puzzles me with the line in this class is that they are not big and by the looks of their frames will/should not be lineman in the future. They are very athletic, but size will be a factor when they reach high school.

Panther Fan

Keokuk, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

Judged:

Best team in 50 years ? I don't think so. Start varsity next year? NO WAY ! These kids are undersized,very much like this years varsity team,very quick but small.And at this age who knows what they may or may not grow into.
Old Timer

Keokuk, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2008

Judged:

It all comes down to coaching ! How will these grow and mature? who will be the varsity coach in 4-5 years?
Panther 01

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2008

Judged:

Better hope that the coaching staff isn't there that's in place now. Hudson works his tail off. I feel he's not head coach material.
Owen

Montezuma, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2008

Judged:

You say that the Head Coach works his tail off but your not sure if he's head coaching material. Why? How many of Knoxville's starters would start for the top teams in D6? Good things happen to people who work hard. Many people like to complain, but they have never walked a mile in the shoes of the people they are complaining about. From what I know about Coach Hudson, the school district would have a hard time finding anyone who cares more and would work harder then he would to get his team to the playoffs. I know that he expects the same from his staff. He coaches up the players, but the kids have to perform. This is his second year as a Head Coach and Knoxville started or gave a considerable amount of playing time to 5 Soph's. On O only 3 people had quality playing time last year, on D 4 kids had quality playing time. What exactly would you call Head Coaching material? I'm just curious if you have experience and at what level? Coach Hudson has worked very hard for the community and the kids. He's not going any where. It would be wise for the parents and community to support him and his staff. They all have the same goal to make it to the playoffs. Lets face it Knoxville is not a football power. 1 playoff
Owen

Montezuma, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2008

Judged:

1 playoff appearance in school history shows a consistent pattern of average football. Knoxville fans will quickly pull out the Sloan teams in the 70's that were left out of the playoffs, but consistent success has not been there. Hud will work hard and he will win if he's given a chance. Support will go a very long way towards that success.
Panther

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2008

Judged:

Alot of the fans/parents are not pleased with the output from the players and coaches. You can read it like a book. When the other team scores the coaches and players drop their heads and quit.
Why don't they bring in someone from outside the town of Knoxville that knows how to win.
Knoxville will always settle for being Pellas little brother.It's bothersome that the kids can beat or compete with Pella until they reach the varsity level year after year. My question is why?
Is it coaching or the attitude of the kids that they are no longer even with Pella.
Owen

Montezuma, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2008

Judged:

Knoxville came back to beat Tama last night. The coaches coached hard and the players played hard. No one quit. During the summer Hud takes his team to Red Rock Dam and he runs the Dam with his kids. What ever physical activity he asks his kids to do he does it with them. He offered leadership classes to all athletes, boys and girls to help develop good team players with winning attitudes. No Varsity football Coach in K 'ville has done more for his program. For every level of frustration fans/parents might feel, multiply it by 10 and maybe they'll feel the level of frustration the coaches feel. Before Coach Hudson took over Lonnie Powers was the Head Coach. He had one season of going 6-3 two of 5-4 and his last 3 were 4-5. Most people don't realize Hud took care of all weight room duties and summer workouts because Powers was no where to be found.Powers was from the outside No one will appreciate walking down the steps into that stadium more then Chris Hudson. Its hard to get to know Hud, but if you did you would know that quiting is not part of his personality. Players who don't give 100% won't play for him. Fans and parents are not at practice, on the sidelines, or with the coaches during the countless number of hours they put in for game prep. They do not know. It is easy to coach from the stands. Hud can't play for the kids. Parents and athletes must hold themselves accountable. The mind set of the athlete is a big challenge in Knoxville
Owen

Montezuma, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2008

Judged:

One more thing...Please stop assuming that success in MS will automatically transfer to HS. You can win in MS with 3-4 good skill kids you need an entire team at the next level. Many kids are not dedicated enough to play at the HS level. It's too hard. Hud demands dedication to the game. He'd ather have 30 kids who want to be there then 60 who are there for the wrong reasons.
Panther

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2008

Alright Owen. You have convinced me to not place the blame on the coaches.Your right Hudson gives everything he has towards the program, and should be givin the chance to turn it around.
Your assuming that the 8th grade class only has 3-4 good skilled kids on that team.You have to be crazy. That class is loaded with skilled players.Yes skilled players not size.As far as dedication.I was informed that the 8th grade class is the only class from the middle school last year that weight lifed all summer and into the school year.That's a pretty good start for dedication
Knoxville Fan

Keokuk, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2008

Judged:

correct me if iam wrong but i remember seeing in the Knoxville paper the young men who are jr's (i think) this year went undefeated 7th through 9th grade ,now they struggle to win a game.
Owen

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

Judged:

The Jr. class I think lost once as Fr. They have had success. I know a lot of the class no longer plays. 11 Jr's contributed a lot last season. Out of the 11, 4 played as Sophs. Again when you compare what kids do at the Middle School level to what happens at the HS level, you can get into a little trouble. Districts change every two years and teams and kids change. Most of the class quit because they really didn't want to work very hard. The kids who stayed have talent. O and D line development will be the key. I know the staff has the kids who are not playing basketball and wrestling working hard with plyo's and weight training.
Owen

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

Most HS coaches will tell you for every Soph you start you can figure that as lost game. Knoxville started 5 through out the season. They had hardly any Sr.help. The Jr's improved and the ones who stay out will work hard. I wrote a while ago that in MS you can win with a handful of talented skill kids even if your O/D lines are poor. When you talk about varsity level football linemen are the key. Look at any 7-9 game and look at the O and D line play and you'll see many technique problems. Even with K'ville 8th class the line technique was poor. Ask any linemen who plays for Hud and they'll tell you how hard he works on fixing bad habits they have picked up since MS football. MS coaches can't fix all the problems. They have 30-40 kids and two coaches. Many of the K'ville linemen are behind. It's just not good to compare what happened in 7-9th grade to what takes place at the HS level.
Justathought

Keokuk, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2008

Judged:

as a former Knoxville resident i feel the community has done a wonderful job with the old stadium to bad they cant put together a winning football team as everyone knows a winning program sure loosens up everyones check books for more improvements.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of70
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Middle School Sports Discussions

Search the Middle School Sports Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Should middle schools have team sports? (Nov '08) Feb '14 lolyolo 67
Show your shcool pride with Titanium Twisters!!! (Mar '13) Mar '13 Anonymous 1
Discounts code for sports fundraisers! (Dec '12) Dec '12 Anonymous 1
Should schools require a 2.0 gpa for sports? (Feb '10) Dec '12 jimmie 3
Louisville school board to hold public meeting ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Mitt Rmoney 1
Middle School Sports Programs Gone in September (Feb '12) Feb '12 meme 2
Height of basketball goal in middle school (Jun '09) Jan '12 lpj1198 2
•••
•••
•••