Nothing to cheer about

Full story: GoErie.com 35
Landing a spot on the cheerleading team at Millcreek's Walnut Creek Middle School wasn't easy. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Omniscient1

Akron, OH

#1 Jun 29, 2008
Cobert is an arrogant jerk. He probably spent the 72 hours steaming and crying that his 2 daughters were excluded. Loser.
Taxed Payer Erie Co

Lorain, OH

#2 Jun 29, 2008
Another example of Cobert's leadership skills. The guy doesn't get it or just doesn't care. Same old Millcreek School Board politics. Wake up voters.
Mizzwebb

Houston, TX

#3 Jun 29, 2008
I am 50 years old and why is it everything that worked way back when is being chnaged? Maybe if we went back to making kids earn things then we could go back to respect and pride. Truth is some girls are better and more able when it comes to cheerleaders! Yes, this is as they say a hard pill to swallow for some but life goes on! To change the rules they way they were will only cause kids now to remind some of HOW they made the team...
Mizzwebb

Houston, TX

#4 Jun 29, 2008
Just an added note I attended Millcreek schools from K-12.
joe

Erie, PA

#6 Jun 29, 2008
yogi wrote:
i think the cheerleading coach was a friend of Benson and Haas and they're finding a way to get back at Cobert through his children. They probably didn't have the skills anyway and would have been better off being the managers of the team and carry theperfume and Michelle Fuller's $$$ bags to the bank from her ridiculous cheerleading schools.
True ----but still dam funny
SELF-ESTEEM

Yatesboro, PA

#7 Jun 29, 2008
How rediculous. Just another way for today's youth to learn how not to deal with FAILURE. Today's youth has absolutely no coping skills. They do not know how to deal with rejection, failure, and mistakes. Shame on Millcreek! It's time to teach these children that hard work, ethics,effort and practice makes perfect is what results in good grades and the making of a TEAM. It is also the difference between winning and losing. Get back to the real world! Today's methods of teaching set students up for failure later in life. They learn nothing but to expect too much for little effort. Not everyone can win at everything...someone is going to lose. As an employer this is exactly why I am reluctant to hire today's youth; I would rather hire the over 40 generation. Shame on Mr. Cobert! He will probably have to get a job at the College that his daughter's choose to attend so that they can be sure to get "accepted", and especially if they decide to "try-out" for cheerleader or join a sority!
The Angry Republican

United States

#9 Jun 29, 2008
The lesson here is that you can get whatever you want as long as you have the right last name.
david

Downey, CA

#10 Jun 29, 2008
here we go with the same old thinking in millcreek only the best and the best only these are young girls who want to cheer but then i bet the girls that made the team are all in the click and parents are too.
SAD

Erie, PA

#11 Jun 29, 2008
Its not what you know or how good in millcreek Its who you know and how much $$$ you have.Cobert should be fired Monday.
omg

Harborcreek, PA

#13 Jun 29, 2008
Omniscient1 wrote:
Cobert is an arrogant jerk. He probably spent the 72 hours steaming and crying that his 2 daughters were excluded. Loser.
wow! sounds personal....
stinkinuptheplac e

Harborcreek, PA

#14 Jun 29, 2008
SAD wrote:
Its not what you know or how good in millcreek Its who you know and how much $$$ you have.Cobert should be fired Monday.
wonder if you know all of the facts. those people in those buildings may have chosen a profession to help children but definitely do not live by that. it is a shame that this man's children have to become a target. it is disgusting!
Exasperated

United States

#15 Jun 29, 2008
Why is this even news? So some bigwig in a school district administration made a phone call so his daughters could participate in something they weren't qualified for? So what? Isn't that the American way? Just like crying over something so petty it isn't worth crying over. So folks in Millcreek are up in arms over having too many cheerleaders or a supposed abuse of power, huh? If only they knew how bad off they really are. Where I teach, we can't get 11 girls to try out for cheerleading, let alone 11 too many we'd have to cut them.
yogi

Mckean, PA

#16 Jun 29, 2008
Exasperated wrote:
Why is this even news? So some bigwig in a school district administration made a phone call so his daughters could participate in something they weren't qualified for? So what? Isn't that the American way? Just like crying over something so petty it isn't worth crying over. So folks in Millcreek are up in arms over having too many cheerleaders or a supposed abuse of power, huh? If only they knew how bad off they really are. Where I teach, we can't get 11 girls to try out for cheerleading, let alone 11 too many we'd have to cut them.
...you have to understand that cheerleading brings in a LOT of money to somebody in Millcreek and now with Fuller as the athletic director and his wife the main hub of millcreek cheerleading (if you don't go to her camp, you don't make the team) you are going to have an abundance of cheerleaders (way too many) It's not even special to make the squad anymore. I'll bet there are a lot more parents with horror stories out there but never came forward like the "bully" Cobert. The only things he's done is isolated his kids from the rest of their class due to "special" treatment. He can't win...tessa.?
Interesting

Harborcreek, PA

#17 Jun 29, 2008
The article states that Palermo, the man Cobert chose to be his VP, is privately questioning Cobert's influence and believes that things were changed because of him. There's more to this story. What's going on between those two? Good for Palermo for doing the right thing.
Timmy

Erie, PA

#18 Jun 30, 2008
yogi wrote:
i think the cheerleading coach was a friend of Benson and Haas and they're finding a way to get back at Cobert through his children. They probably didn't have the skills anyway and would have been better off being the managers of the team and carry theperfume and Michelle Fuller's $$$ bags to the bank from her ridiculous cheerleading schools.
Instead of looking at folks long retired from the district for a scapegoat, why not concentrate on the real problem...Mr. Cobert. He has long pushed, cajoled, intimidated and bullied to get his own way in Millcreek...watch the meetings on TV. Dedication to the parents, taxpayers and, most importantly, the kids of Millcreek take a deep back seat to his own personal agendas.
Millcreek senior

Erie, PA

#19 Jun 30, 2008
I personally think there should NOT have been tryouts for this middle school cheerleading team. That being said, however, I have to object to the way this situation was handled.(1) Board President Cobert's kids did not adhere to the posted rules and were not chosen because they did not know the routines.(2) SOMEBODY complained to SOMEONE that his kids did not make the team, after-the-fact.(3) That SOMEONE had the 'juice' to get the rules changed, again, after-the-fact, regardless of what the school principal and Superintendent are saying.(4) The long-time coach quit, one can only assume in protest, and the Erie Times ran the story without talking to her.(5) With the exception of board member Mike Palermo, no other board member or district official seem to think that this is wrong…everyone is afraid to tell the truth about what really happened. Why is everyone so afraid of this Cobert?? And why does he require that others "cover" for his own decisions??
Zee

Mason, OH

#20 Jun 30, 2008
None of the other Millcreek middle schools had try outs for their cheerleaders (this is considered an intramural sport and everyone gets to participate according to district rules), so why should Walnut Creek have try outs. Just let everyone who wants to cheer do so. No big deal.
ShirleyUJest

Erie, PA

#21 Jun 30, 2008
I realize that an injustice may have been done here. But, come on. Is this story really worth 20+ paragraphs of the ETN? More investigation when into this hard-hitting piece (??) then went into the removal of Dean Maynard or the Whistleblower suit, combined.
Alice

Erie, PA

#22 Jun 30, 2008
Zee wrote:
None of the other Millcreek middle schools had try outs for their cheerleaders (this is considered an intramural sport and everyone gets to participate according to district rules), so why should Walnut Creek have try outs. Just let everyone who wants to cheer do so. No big deal.
Since when is cheerleading a sport? An activity yes, physically challenging, perhaps, a sport, no way.
G-Man

Erie, PA

#24 Jun 30, 2008
Seemingly, our sole source of reporting news from the area, the TIME NEWS, does not yet grasp the concept of who is really running the Millcreek school district. Ever since the last election when Bill Cobert was made school board president and particularly since Super. Maynard was ousted (by Cobert) several months ago, this once-proud district is being run by Mrs. Anderson and her puppet…yep, Bill Cobert. Acting Super. Frank Bova is getting paid for doing the job, but the real 'shots' are being called by Anderson-Cobert…and everyone knows it…except, obviously, the TIMES. And the real scary thing is that a search for a new Superintendent is underway and being led by those two. Yikes!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middle School Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should middle schools have team sports? (Nov '08) Apr '14 Sports player 70
Show your shcool pride with Titanium Twisters!!! (Mar '13) Mar '13 Anonymous 1
Discounts code for sports fundraisers! (Dec '12) Dec '12 Anonymous 1
Should schools require a 2.0 gpa for sports? (Feb '10) Dec '12 jimmie 3
Louisville school board to hold public meeting ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Mitt Rmoney 1
Middle School Sports Programs Gone in September (Feb '12) Feb '12 meme 2
Height of basketball goal in middle school (Jun '09) Jan '12 lpj1198 2
More from around the web