First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Visitor1

United States

#1 Jun 3, 2009
We have a player who played up during the regular season on our major team who is a 10 year old. He is good enough to play on the major All Star team, but we are being told he has to play on the 9 - 10 year old minor team for All Stars. Is there a LL rule concerning this? Is this correct?
LL Coach

Bronx, NY

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Absolutely. The Little League All-Star Team is for 11/12's. There are tournament teams for 10/11's & 9/10's. He would be eligible for either of those.
RI LL

AOL

#3 Jun 6, 2009
Take a look at your LL constitution and by-laws. Many of the LL's with the best all star teams combine ANY child in majors. All LL's are different, we have a 10, 11, and 12 team, but the child must be in majors. If we chose to, we could mix them together. Someone is giving you the wrong information. Go to your regional site or LL International. It IS allowed to put a 10 year old on.
Visitor1 wrote:
We have a player who played up during the regular season on our major team who is a 10 year old. He is good enough to play on the major All Star team, but we are being told he has to play on the 9 - 10 year old minor team for All Stars. Is there a LL rule concerning this? Is this correct?
LL DA

Petersburg, IL

#4 Jun 9, 2009
LL Coach is absolutely correct (Sorry, but RI LL is wrong)... 10yr olds may play in the Major Division during the regular season. However, the All-Star tournaments are broken down by age. The child mentioned is league age 10. Therefore, he is not eligible to play in the 11/12 All-Stars. He is eligible for the 9/10 or the 10/11.
shirley

Lebanon, NH

#5 Jun 26, 2009
when does a child have to turn 9 to play on an all stars team?
LL DA

Petersburg, IL

#6 Jun 26, 2009
League age is the childs age as of April 30th. So, for example, if the child turns 9 on May 1st, he/she is considered League Age 8. This is for baseball. Softball is the childs age as of December 31st of the previous year. So, a softball player who turned 9 on January 1, 2009, would be considered league age 8.
JMK

Cameron, NY

#7 Feb 15, 2010
Is it legal when selecting a 10 & under All Star team to automatically put any 10yr. old that played at the Majors Div.during the regular season on the 10U All Star team if they did not hold open try-outs for all 10yr. olds for the open Majors positions at the beggining of the season. A few of the Board Members/not coaches are choosing between themselves. They chose there own kids to move up, when there are 10yr. olds that were left on the Minors Div. who are better athletes & have better stats from last season. Is this legal?
IL LL Coach

Petersburg, IL

#8 Mar 2, 2010
JMK, the selection for All-Stars is spelled out in each leagues Constitution and By-Laws. If a league elects to put all 10yr olds that played in the Major Division on the 9/10 all star team, they can do that. It is up to each league to determine how they will select all-stars.
JFT

Fayetteville, GA

#9 Mar 21, 2010
Why do we have 13 year olds playing in the little league world series? This shouldn't happen. The cut off should be October 1st so that no one is 13 years old!
IL DA

Springfield, IL

#10 Mar 21, 2010
The kids who are 13 in the LLWS have turned 13 after April 30th. I agree, the age date should be changed so these kids are not 13 playing in the 11/12 age division. Alot of the kids on the 11/12 All Stars are 13 year olds. The age cut off use to be July 31st. Which work well for keeping older kids in the upper divisions. But, in turn, it hurt the younger kids. Kids who were 12, but, turning 13 by July 31st were forced to play in the 13/14 bracket. So, they play all season as a 12 year old in an upper age division. Not sure there is an answer to entirely correct the problem.
SLBrown

Los Angeles, CA

#11 May 13, 2010
All things being equal, lets say you have a child in minors playing at league age 8 as outlined in the quote below. Does this now prevent him from playing on a 9/10 all star team by some little league national rule or regional rule? Or, is it simply up to the powers of your board or all star selection committee? There is so much politics in this and it seems only to wind up cheating the kids. I mean, if someone on your board or other coaches do not like your personality, so often they will take it out on your child. This is patently wrong. So, I'd love to know what the official rule is so I know exactly where actual rules are being used versus creative negative personality-based biases. Can you help?
LL DA wrote:
League age is the childs age as of April 30th. So, for example, if the child turns 9 on May 1st, he/she is considered League Age 8. This is for baseball. Softball is the childs age as of December 31st of the previous year. So, a softball player who turned 9 on January 1, 2009, would be considered league age 8.
LL DA

Petersburg, IL

#12 May 13, 2010
All Stars are "Age Specific". So, for 9/10 All Stars, the child would have to be league age 9 or 10. Same goes for the 11/12 All Stars, etc. This is a rule used world wide. Some people get confused on the "Divisions" in LL. During the regular season, LL has minor, major, junior, senior leagues, etc. However, as I stated earlier, All Stars are "Age Specific". There is no Minor Division or Major Division All Stars. All Stars are by age (9/10 All Stars, 10,11 All Stars, 11/12 All Stars, etc.). So, to answer your question, if a child is league age 8, he/she is not eligible for the 9/10 All Stars in accordance with LL Official Rules.
Theresa

Ironwood, MI

#13 May 25, 2010
I have a son who is playing 11-12 year division, but according the Little League he is 10 (birthday after April 30) I know this will make him eliagble for the 9-10 all stars, but does he have to play some games at that level before he can become eligable? Is there a Little League rule that addresses this or does my district rules govern this?
LL DA

Petersburg, IL

#14 May 25, 2010
Theresa,
There is no rule in LL that states your child must play in minors to be part of the 9/10 All Stars. Remember, it's age specfic and not division specific. So, as long as he is league age 10, he can play on the 9/10 all stars. Now, keep in mind, your league may have a local rule in their by-laws that states players for the 9/10 all stars must be selected from players in that division. League's can do that. However, I've never come across one. Don't know why a league would not want to put a 10 year old who's played in the upper division with 11/12's all season on their 9/10 year old all star team. Seems to me, if the kid can handle playing with older kids, he'll help strengthen the 9/10 all star team.
Theresa

Ironwood, MI

#15 Jun 1, 2010
Did the pitch count rules - specifically the day's rest change for 2010. Also has anyone else read this: Completion of pitching to batter: In a new ruling for 2010, if a pitcher reaches the pitch-count limit for their age while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to throw until the batter reaches bas, is thrown out, or the third out is made to complete the half-inning.

----------

Source: Little League Baseball

Updated and revised March 3, 2010

Read more: http://www.momsteam.com/sports/baseball/safet...
npw

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#16 Nov 16, 2010
If my son is league age 12 but moves up to Juniors this season, does that make him ineligible to play for the 12 year old Allstar team? I have heard conflicting opinions and was just wondering if anyone knew the real answer. Thanks
Vipers

Petersburg, IL

#17 Dec 14, 2010
npw, Your child should still be eligible for the 12 year old all stars. It's all about the childs age and not the division they play in.
tls

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Mar 1, 2011
My son is considered an 11 year old player in the Majors (dob 7/19/1999). He likes to and is quite capable of playing up to play with his classmates. We have been told that this year only 12 year olds will be selected to play on the All Star Team (he was selected last year to play in the 10/11 All Star tournament) and will have to play in that again this year. It's concerning because next year he will move on to juniors and will lose the opportunity to play on the All Star team with his classmates. Can the local LL do this - not make him eligible to play this year on the All Star team because he's 11, not 12 until 7/19/11?
Vipers

Petersburg, IL

#19 Mar 3, 2011
tls, it's up to the local league on how they select all stars. But, if your child is league age 11 this year, then he'll be eligible next year as a 12 year old. Why would he be moving up to juniors next year? For a league to select an all star team based on age and not the player's ability is nuts. Sounds like this may be a small league that is wanting to field all star teams for 9/10, 10/11 and 11/12 but wouldn't have enough players without taking all the 12 year olds for the 11/12 all star team. I've seen that happen in smaller markets. Instead of fielding the best players, they want to field more teams. Therefore sacrificing the quality of the teams. But, again, it's up to each league on how they select all stars.
JMP

Valhalla, NY

#20 Jul 4, 2011
My son played as an 11 year in the regular season. He was moved up to play on the 11-12 year old all stars as a substitute and only had one at bat and played one inning. Other than the coaches son, he was the only 11 yr old on the team. Can he be moved back down to play with the 11 yr old all stars? In other words, can he play on the 11-12 yr old All stars and on the 11 year all stars in the same season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little League Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can a team that played 50/70 last act as a Majo... 21 hr smarts 1
Pensacola man, 26, dies days after shooting (Oct '09) Jan 15 Shauna 2
Mariners closer Rodney to visit Korea ne... Jan 15 johnnyj 1
League expansion Jan 14 REDNECK HIPPIE 2
TOC - DA says league can't play if they don't r... Jan 14 Bob 3
Jackie Robinson West Coming to Evanston Jan 14 Bob 1
Little League Age Change Dec '14 Maholm22 3
More from around the web