West Haven Little League frustrated by fields

Puddles on baseball fields at Morse Park cancelled Little League games all weekend. Full Story
ANDREA

United States

#1 Sep 16, 2008
So dont have fall ball-thats that why have a fall league, make these people pay and they cant play-just doesnt make sense -
Westie

Milford, CT

#2 Sep 16, 2008
So the league (not the city) paid $16,000 to have the field re-sodded, but the city union workers can kick the league off whenever they want?
Jim T

Newington, CT

#3 Sep 16, 2008
Games have been cancelled due to bad weather forever. Get used to it...........
stay out of waste haven

Framingham, MA

#4 Sep 16, 2008
the union does want anyone else working on the field because then people would realize what a simple job it is. They might wonder why they need 18 guys to mow the grass which is 90% weeds anyway.

“Shelly now known as Shelly1970”

Since: Aug 08

West Haven, CT

#5 Sep 16, 2008
Rain happens, fields get flooded and the little league isnt the only ones affected by it. The adult softball league is as well. They need to suck it up and have make up games just like the adult league does. The City of West Haven is in enough trouble financially and in my opinion cant afford to pay the overtime to "fix the fields from the rain". I know its disappointing to the kids, they enjoy it but there's not much that you can do if they cant pay the overtime to have the fields cleared out correctly.
Mary P

Cromwell, CT

#6 Sep 16, 2008
My son plays Babe Ruth baseball in Madison. On Sept 7, his coach has to mow the infield because it hadn't been done, and it hasn't been mown since. The parents are told to take care of the fields. And this is the school field!! This is how it is in Little League also. The parents are sent email instructions on what to do. Madison isn't even bothering to mow anymore. See how easy that is West Haven, don't bother doing it at all, fire all your employees, charge the parents for their children to play sports and then tell them to maintain the fields. Email the instructions--- they actually show up at the fields and work like you wouldn't believe to get the fields ready to play. If all the other towns join in, then it won't be so embarrassing for us.
johnash

New York, NY

#7 Sep 16, 2008
You have to hand it to these unions. God forbid that they work on a Saturday. And then to top that off, they dont want anyone else working on Saturday either. What a bunch of lazy idiots. They should be grateful to have a job to begin with. And then to stop the kids from playing baseball. Way to help your local town. Lets have the kids running on the streets instead. Unions are entirely populated by lazy, uneducated, individuals. When was the last time that a union did anything for anyone else.
LL Prez

Petersburg, IL

#8 Sep 19, 2008
I'm glad our little league has their own property with 5 fields to play on. Another LL here plays on city fields. They have the same problems with getting ANYTHING done to the fields. Luckily, we don't have that issue. Unions here also. But, it's that overtime pay they want. That's why the league cannot work the fields.$$$$$$! It's not the fact that there are rain outs. It's the fact the league cannot prep the fields!
Bethany

Whitmore Lake, MI

#9 Sep 19, 2008
wow. Weather happens. I went to a softball world series and half of it got cancelled because if rain.
UGH

United States

#10 Sep 19, 2008
should be growing the grass back like it's going out of style. The whole town smells like a big crappy toilet every time the tide goes out. I'll bet if you tried hard enough you could grow a magic beanstalk in Waste Haven. Long live the poopie plant. It's magical. I almost threw up at Captains Galley because it's right across the street from that thing and nobody told me I would be inhaling other people's loaf while I was trying to get my dinner down. Do the people in WH like the way that thing smells. They should change the name of the town to Loaf Smell Sanctuary
CoachPegleg

Cheshire, CT

#11 Aug 15, 2012
Shelly1970 wrote:
Rain happens, fields get flooded and the little league isnt the only ones affected by it. The adult softball league is as well. They need to suck it up and have make up games just like the adult league does. The City of West Haven is in enough trouble financially and in my opinion cant afford to pay the overtime to "fix the fields from the rain". I know its disappointing to the kids, they enjoy it but there's not much that you can do if they cant pay the overtime to have the fields cleared out correctly.
Having been a player, parent, coach, past board member, I know for a fact that a lot of cancellations are not because of rain. It's because the union will not allow the people that pay the bills at Morse Park to pick up a rake or two and have the fields ready to go. I can remember being told that if we walked on the fields with rakes to clean up the field we would be arrested. How nice! Sorry kids no ball today because I don't want a police record.
CoachPegleg

Cheshire, CT

#12 Aug 15, 2012
Having been a past player, parent, coach, and board member. I have been around the park a long time. Most rainouts are because we th people who have paid the bills at Morse Park. Most times a little raking will get the fields ready. I can Remer walking not the field with a rake and being told that if I fixed the field that I would be arrested. Sorry guys no games today because I don't want a police record. It was ridiculous.. As the parks guy sat in his city car with the A/V running. Thanks for nothing Charlie.
Shelly1970 wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little League Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sport Injuries Oct 16 Zach 2
Local men accused of assaulting Las Cruces poli... (Dec '09) Oct 9 cookieman 52
Fall ball grandfathering Sep 27 REDNECK HIPPIE 2
Combined Teams and Grandfathering Sep 23 Chris Hizynski 3
Concerns Raised On Safety Of Little League Bats (May '08) Sep 22 justsayN 11
Little League out of boundary (Jul '07) Sep '14 ILLittleleague 18
Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig Is Not As Big ... Sep '14 Dodger BLUE 1

Little League People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE