Green Bay Packers Should Sign Jermichael Finley to Long Term Deal

Feb 20, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BleacherReport

The Green Bay Packers are going to be undertaking a lot of changes to their 53-man roster this offseason.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

It is interesting comparing Finley to Jimmy Graham. Their YAC stats are similar (though Finley's have declined every season) and each had 11 dropped balls. But Graham was targeted 67 more times. If Finley had the red zone production of Graham I'd be more sympathetic to keeping him. And it also ignores his injury history. Remember, we won a Super Bowl without this guy.
Glyxman

Sun Prairie, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Of course we should hang onto Finley. His off field comments do not negate his on field performance. He has had a bit of the dropsy lately, but that can be corrected.
Now for the big problem, PROTECTING RODGERS!!!!!
Let's not worry too much about running backs and receivers, lets start working on protecting the best QB in the NFL. It is shameful that Aaron Rodgers got sacked more than any QB in the league. This is unacceptable!
da Berz complain that Cutler isn't good because his O line doesn't protect him. What? He's protected better then Rodgers. Let's fix that by sacking cutler and protecting Aaron Rodgers. He deserves that!
GBPfan

Ettrick, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Finley should not be signed to a long term deal at anything approaching the ridiculously enormous deal he currently is under. In fact, the Packers should cut their losses and Finley! Why he was paid on "potential" I will never know. The Packers usually don't make that mistake. Bottom line is that he has done nothing to earn a big long term deal.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

GBPfan wrote:
Finley should not be signed to a long term deal at anything approaching the ridiculously enormous deal he currently is under. In fact, the Packers should cut their losses and Finley! Why he was paid on "potential" I will never know. The Packers usually don't make that mistake. Bottom line is that he has done nothing to earn a big long term deal.
You finally came out from underneath that rock?
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Sad part is Finley is a huge talent,but,for some reason hes sabotaging himself to a point.His stupid remarks and lack of concentration/Drops are not helping his cause.Maybe a change of scenery would help.
He comments about he and AR not being on the same page,well,since AR is one of the best qb in the game,guess who leaving ( if its 1 of the 2)
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

I wouldn't mind seeing all that money going into a solid FA ,DL (Canty) or OL, and drafting his replacement early in th draft, maybe even with the 1st pick.
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Rumor is now they may use Finley's contract dump to franchise Jennings. Not sure how I feel about that. Of course, that could be just to judge his trade value, since you can rescind those franchise tags. I bet they could get Finley to accept a pay cut. I don't think he wants to move on.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

1 things for sure.They cant afford to sign both ( Finley and Jennings) and resign Mathews,Raji and Rodgers..
Franchise Jennings? IF so, Finley is gone UNLESS,they franchise Jennings in a sign and trade which i can see happening
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

That's what I'm saying. If a deal isn't out there (pretty steep $), they would just rescind the franchise tag. I don't believe TT has ever done that before, though. Anybody know?
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

normallylikeyellow wrote:
Rumor is now they may use Finley's contract dump to franchise Jennings. Not sure how I feel about that. Of course, that could be just to judge his trade value, since you can rescind those franchise tags. I bet they could get Finley to accept a pay cut. I don't think he wants to move on.
Im not to sure Finley would take less or a paycut.HE wanted WR money instead of TE money and he mentioned something to the extent of hes still young enough to sign another huge contract.( im not real sure about his break the bank comment,ive heard it a few times from different places but)At 26 or 27 after his current deal is done,if he was serious about breaking the bank and he puts up good numbers,im sure he would go for it ( again assuming his break the bank comments are actually factual)
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

I dont remember Ted ever rescinding a tag.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

was reading the MJS and Finley told an ESPN reporter,,id have to walk,meaning he cant take a paycut..
so, screw him,trade him or cut him.We need cap space.
Coaches are split on what to do with him,Coach Mike wants to keep him..
OR
if they can somehow make it work with him around.
take advantage of his contract year and remember how he is and let him go after next year..
but , i still say screw him,,trade him or cut him.But im giving both sides of the coin here
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

eric wrote:
was reading the MJS and Finley told an ESPN reporter,,id have to walk,meaning he cant take a paycut..
so, screw him,trade him or cut him.We need cap space.
Coaches are split on what to do with him,Coach Mike wants to keep him..
OR
if they can somehow make it work with him around.
take advantage of his contract year and remember how he is and let him go after next year..
but , i still say screw him,,trade him or cut him.But im giving both sides of the coin here
I say screw him too.
He doesn't deserve that kind of money he played well for a few games. Lot of good TEs in the draft so I say go after one of them + see what the other TEs we have can do. I would rather see that money used to bring in a DE FA or 2.
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, a real team guy, huh? Could certainly cause some problems (both kinds) in the right uniform--doesn't look like it's going to be in GB. I'd vote trade. Might as well get something for him--even if it's below value.
packerbacker-wic hita-ks

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I say screw him too.
He doesn't deserve that kind of money he played well for a few games. Lot of good TEs in the draft so I say go after one of them + see what the other TEs we have can do. I would rather see that money used to bring in a DE FA or 2.
Me too. Potential is the word that comes up a lot with Finley snd personally I am tired of his act. Too many drops and he just doesn't seem like a good teamate. It seems all he is concerned about is getting paid like a top wr ahile he isn't even in the top 5 as a te. Cut or trade him and don't give him the big bucks he wants. Money better spent elsewhere.

Since: Feb 13

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

I'm starting to see Finley the same way I saw Terrell Buckley. A bit of a disappointment when he was with the Packers, always seemed like he should have been better. And after he left, he had some nice years with other teams, but none that made me wish that he was still a Packer.
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Finley might move on and have good career if he grows up. The thing is we can get a better TE in the early part of the draft and not have to pay so much for a guy who is nothing more than a question mark. Look how much Kyle Rudolf has helped the Vikings, he was 2nd pick (43rd overall) in 2011. Imagine if he had Rodgers throwing him the ball.

Put it this way.
If Finley was a FA coming from another team, would the Packers go after him for the amount of money they plan to pay him this year? No F'in way! So why pay a huge 1yr contract without having anything other than ‘potential’ to back it up?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Wonder just how many passes he could drop, if he got a really good 4-5 year deal?
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Wonder just how many passes he could drop, if he got a really good 4-5 year deal?
We all know he has 'potential'.... in this scenario the ‘potential’ is to drop about 100 passes in 5 yrs.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Sad part is,he has it in him to be one of the best TE in the game and if he seems to have grown up during all this,GB prob. keeps him.
I always talked about keeping him during his contract year and him having a monster season,well,looking at the other side..
IN a contract year,Does Finley ( maybe) not risk injury by playing all out for fear of being injured and losing money on his next deal?
I always looked at it as a contract year,take advantage of his HUGE numbers for his upcoming contract,but, there is always the chance he will play real safe,not to get hurt.For someone who says i can not take a pay cut.well, maybe he should wonder what it may be like when he doesnt have a great qb like Rodgers qb the team and if he gets stuck with a much lesser qb with less WR help as well.GB is still one of the best offenses in the game despite their oline problems and the greatness of Aaron Rodgers DOES cover alot of GB offensive line weaknesses,lets not kid ourselves here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••