CARS Could Reduce Response in Albemarle

There are 20 comments on the Jan 28, 2013, NBC29 Charlottesville story titled CARS Could Reduce Response in Albemarle. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Major changes could be around the corner for how ambulance services are handled in Albemarle County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
WOW

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 30, 2013
So if you have a stroke or heart attack in So.. If you're a county resident and need attention bewtween those hours.. you either die or your lucky enough to survive and get to the Er.

Seriously, How are they committed to service in the county when they state they will no longer service the county during weekdays, between 6am-6pm?

This makes no sense. Why is Dennis still on the board. Please vote him off
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 30, 2013
If you read the Newsplex website, there is a more in-depth discussion about what services will be available after Feb 4th.
Really

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 30, 2013
That is correct so good luck if you live in north garden area, this is just a scam for the county to say we need X amount of stations because obviously the demand and need will come up now so way to go County Chief played the game of chess and sir will have the county in check mate very soon. Tax payers beware this is only the begging. No more volunteers is the goal and everyone see's it.
Its in the writing

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 30, 2013
The transport service(mon-fri 6A-6P) will be provided by ACFR as opposed to CARS. There will be comparable coverage in the county as there is now, the ambulances will simply be coming from a different location.
Special rescue and such will still be handled by CARS. Obviously CARS did not wish to take part in the revenue recovery plan, as well as seeing that they were down a truck, and chose to provide the service they could, to the UVA/C'ville district and the county will handle the county.
Really

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 30, 2013
Just another food for thought if your in the city you will not have to pay for help an transport to the hospital, if on the other hand your in the county no such luck u wait for help that maybe there but when they get there you can bet you will recieve a bill for that ride.
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 30, 2013
There are parts of Albemarle that are less than a mile from the CARS facility. Not responding to these close-in areas makes absolutely no sense; lives could hang in the balance. Their response area should depend on distance and road access, not zig-zaggy political boundaries.(And by the way, the UVA main campus is considered to be physically within Albemarle, so how does this fit in to their plan?) Also, removing qualified County personnel from the CARS facility makes even less sense. Lives are at stake! Get politics out of it!
Really

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 30, 2013
Sarg you are right! I don't understand it next the city county fire contract will end then guess what if you live minutes from the city fire dept they won't come the county will drive right by there station to get to your home just plain crazy I just want to know the real motive for all of this the public health is not a concern as we can see.
cotaxpayer

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 30, 2013
We can thank our board of supervisors for this mess.
cotaxpayer

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 30, 2013
Question: So if the county will be billing for service now, why can't ambulance companies like Life Care, Priority, and others bid for the ambulance service in the county if they meet the criteria. I am sure we can save money by bidding out this service instead. Has this ever been looked into?
dollar signs

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 30, 2013
Each ambulance stands to earn .5 mil a yr in revenue, THAT is your motive.
Chuck

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jan 30, 2013
I'm not understanding why CARS not billing for ambulance services is a contention to the County.

I guess the County just wants more revenue and forcing CARS to get paid for their services would have been one way they can do so. So I guess it is a way for them to convince people that the current taxes are not enough to be able to ensure the tax payer's safety.
concerned

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jan 30, 2013
cotaxpayer wrote:
We can thank our board of supervisors for this mess.
NO Thank OBAMACARE
Thanks

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jan 30, 2013
The County has been giving CARS $ for years, UVA and the City don't give CARS any $ .... so CARS withdraws service from the jurisdiction that was it's gravy train and remains committed to UVA and the City ---- hmmm.
Big Jim

Troy, MI

#15 Jan 30, 2013
What happens if CARS can't handle the call load in the city limits? Will ACFR respond to the city?
Hunter

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jan 30, 2013
Thanks wrote:
The County has been giving CARS $ for years, UVA and the City don't give CARS any $.... so CARS withdraws service from the jurisdiction that was it's gravy train and remains committed to UVA and the City ---- hmmm.
So, because a member of the county board of supervisors says that two other jurisdictions don't give money to the rescue squad, it is true? How would he know? I work for The Univeristy, and I know for a fact that they give money to the rescue squad.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jan 30, 2013
Really wrote:
Sarg you are right! I don't understand it next the city county fire contract will end then guess what if you live minutes from the city fire dept they won't come the county will drive right by there station to get to your home just plain crazy I just want to know the real motive for all of this the public health is not a concern as we can see.
In a strange sense, that's what already happens.

The city limits two engines to the County at any given time (as stated in the Newsplex thread) based on their agreement or because the City wants to keep as many of their engines in the city for city calls, I don't know!. So, if there is a fire at the north end of the County... instead of getting as many engines from the City as possible first and then have County units fill in city spots, the County will take as many as it can get from the city and drag engines from other parts of the County (like Crozet, east Rivanna, and North Garden) to the north end.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jan 30, 2013
Sarg wrote:
There are parts of Albemarle that are less than a mile from the CARS facility. Not responding to these close-in areas makes absolutely no sense; lives could hang in the balance. Their response area should depend on distance and road access, not zig-zaggy political boundaries.(And by the way, the UVA main campus is considered to be physically within Albemarle, so how does this fit in to their plan?) Also, removing qualified County personnel from the CARS facility makes even less sense. Lives are at stake! Get politics out of it!
That's the old system. Units were displaced based on the next closest unit.
Now, it will rely on the next closest unit from the County. Let's say there's a call on Garth Rd. Their new ambulance from Seminole will probably take it. If a call drops in the same area or in the area previously served by Seminole, a unit will roll from the next closest which could be Hollymead or Pantops. If from Pantops, it will literally pasts the CARS building to get to it. In both cases, it will have to fight through more traffic to get there and we all know the traffic along 29 and 250-bypass can be outright nasty at times.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jan 30, 2013
Thanks wrote:
The County has been giving CARS $ for years, UVA and the City don't give CARS any $.... so CARS withdraws service from the jurisdiction that was it's gravy train and remains committed to UVA and the City ---- hmmm.
It's slightly more complicated than that.

Based on CARS first due and its staffing, CARS currently has 2 ambulances for the City made by its personnel and has 1 ambulance that is made by the County personnel at minimum. Since the County is withdrawing its personnel to make their own ambulance elsewhere, this leaves CARS with 2 ambulances for the City and none of the County.

Secondly, the County wants to take over the area that is the County so they can begin to bill for services during the daylight hours as part of their revenue recovery. After Pantops, the next best spot is Seminole Trial area from Hydraulic to Hilton Heights. If the County wants to take their area back to make money off of it, what can CARS do? Also, it just daylight hours, CARS will get that area back during nighttime.(What I think will happen is ACFR will use the newly generated revenue to build more stations, hire more personnel, etc etc and eventually in 5-10yrs, it will have the entire county staffed by ACFR personnels 24/7. You get what you pay for.)

Really

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jan 30, 2013
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
NO Thank OBAMACARE
your a idiot Obama care has nothing to do with this! I guess your just Simple minded.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jan 30, 2013
Chuck wrote:
I'm not understanding why CARS not billing for ambulance services is a contention to the County.
I guess the County just wants more revenue and forcing CARS to get paid for their services would have been one way they can do so. So I guess it is a way for them to convince people that the current taxes are not enough to be able to ensure the tax payer's safety.
If CARS does not bill, they are not making money for the County. In response, the County will create its own line of services to get that money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Has Tim Tebow's Christian Faith Hurt His NFL Ca... 45 min tom wingo 10
News NASCAR: Earnhardt upset with Stewart after tang... 48 min tom wingo 2
News Act 47 looming for McKeesport? (Jan '11) 50 min tom wingo 108
News Champion Auto Sports New Company Name 54 min tom wingo 2
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 57 min sam paolantonio 1,890
News Shields Ks 12 but slumping Padres lose 9-4 to s... 1 hr tom wingo 2
News Oleg Kalashnikov, ally of deposed Ukraine presi... 1 hr tom wingo 10
More from around the web