Counted out, South Hills storms back ...

Counted out, South Hills storms back to win another wrestling t...

There are 18 comments on the San Gabriel Valley Tribune story from Feb 14, 2009, titled Counted out, South Hills storms back to win another wrestling t.... In it, San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports that:

Deja vu described the feeling for the South Hills High School wrestling team Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

CHS wrestlers mom

Anaheim, CA

#1 Feb 15, 2009
Congrats to South Hills!
wrestling fan

West Covina, CA

#2 Feb 15, 2009
Which team did Northview bring this year it's "A" team or it's "B" team ? I know Ocha doesn't really like going to the Duels,he is more about the indivual wrestler then the team end of CIF
SAN DIMAS FAN

Covina, CA

#3 Feb 15, 2009
Congrats to South Hills!
too bad for Northview (not):)
hmmmmm

West Covina, CA

#4 Feb 15, 2009
Great team BAD SPORTS. Congrats on your CIF-Southern Section divisional dual championship that is something no one can take away from you. South Hills knows how to win BUT they don't know how to lose. How many times over the past years have you seen a South Hills wrestler getting his 2nd or 3rd medal disrespect the 1st place winner and walk away before they are done??? Last year at Marnia HS the people working the snack bar were saying ' Who is that team in green?? They are rude and act like there crap doesn't stink!! I'm sorry but a True champion knows how to act on and off the mat...Have you heard of the saying "treat people the way you would want to be treated??" You can't buy class..Sometimes winning isn't everything. Enjoy you CIF Championship
South Hills parent

Corona, CA

#5 Feb 15, 2009
hmmmmm wrote:
Great team BAD SPORTS. Congrats on your CIF-Southern Section divisional dual championship that is something no one can take away from you. South Hills knows how to win BUT they don't know how to lose. How many times over the past years have you seen a South Hills wrestler getting his 2nd or 3rd medal disrespect the 1st place winner and walk away before they are done??? Last year at Marnia HS the people working the snack bar were saying ' Who is that team in green?? They are rude and act like there crap doesn't stink!! I'm sorry but a True champion knows how to act on and off the mat...Have you heard of the saying "treat people the way you would want to be treated??" You can't buy class..Sometimes winning isn't everything. Enjoy you CIF Championship
True you can't buy class neither can you buy a championship. That is earned by dedication and hard work. Obviously something you know nothing about. Secondly we never wrestled at Marnia High school. Maybe you should work on your spelling and we'll work on our kids!

By the way are kids are not rude and their crap does smell, just like yours!
SHHS Parent Also

Baldwin Park, CA

#6 Feb 15, 2009
Congrats to our team, they did a fabulous job. It is only too bad the whole team wasn't reflected in the article, and that some of the facts were wrong and names incorrectly spelled. But you are right, sometimes the boys don't always act as we want them too. Does any teenager??? They are not the only school I have witnessed act rudely, when it comes to medal presentations. It maybe speaks more to the parents then it does to the coaches. I can say my son would never act that way as the penalty at home would be far greater then anything the coaches could dream up. But I must say host schools are not always gracious either, so maybe there are a lot of "BAD SPORTS" except for Alta Loma. They were so patient and kind with us last night when I know they just wanted to go home. We occupied their gym and took our pictures and they didn't rush us at all. Quite the contrary they were very supportive and encouraged us to enjoy our moment. THANK YOU ALTA LOMA!!! So whoever you are hmmmmmmmm, take a good look at your school and the others around you as I have been in many a gym over the last 4 years and seen a lot of schools, not just SHHS, be a bit rude on the medal presentation. As far as being "CHAMPIONS," I believe we proved last night that we know how to become "CHAMPIONS" and remain "CHAMPIONS" (least we not forget this is "BACK TO BACK" for SHHS). So I guess we will just wait and see. Maybe we should all just say "A JOB WELL DONE", "CONGRATULATIONS SOUTH HILLS", "GOOD LUCK TO ALL WRESTLER'S AT INDIVIDUALS AND STATE". Enjoy the rest of the school year and we will see you all next year.
hmmmmm

West Covina, CA

#7 Feb 16, 2009
I'm not taking anything away from SHH.That is the last thing I would do. They not only won back to back, they won in a rebuilding year. The Individuals were held at Marnia HS last year, I guess you weren't there. The "crap" commit was made by volunteer(the person who works for free)who was disrespected by a 16 year old kid in a green tee shirt that "South Hills'. The way the kids walk off the medal stand has been going on for years and if that was my kid I would of made him go back. Why does the head coach let them get away with this and for so long? I hope these are things your team can work on next year. Congratulations on being" BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS" you earned it
SHHS Parent Also

Baldwin Park, CA

#8 Feb 16, 2009
hmmmmm is at it agian. What about your latest comment makes me believe this is Donny from West Covina? Could it be the rebuilding comment? Funny if I remember correctly that was the comment you made to Froh/Taylor last year when we were graduating 9 seniors. I believe you didn't pay attention to what our B team had going on. Remember "People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw Stones." We are never the only team that has had boys leave a medal stand and be deemed a bad sport. Funny at league finals just a couple of weeks ago there were numerous boys that were "bad sports" on the medal stand. The only one that showed the utmost class was the 135 pounder from West Covina who shook each boys hand when he came to the medal stand. I believe that his parents taught him that, not Donny or Shirley, because in 4 years I have seen their boys be the "bad sports" hmmmmm is talking about. But the behavior of their 125 pounder on the medal stand is acceptable that day. His standing up there and dancing around and flexing his muscles and rubbing his win in the faces of his competitors is fine, right? There's that glass house theory again. Least we not forget the times they have run a clock at the tournaments they have hosted to try to get an advantage. So let's call it what it is "JEALOUSY" in a year when it was said SHHS would be rebuilding and guess what? "NOT!" We obviously have what it takes. So just say "CONGRAULATIONS" to our boys and QUIT with the mud slinging. We earned it as our boys wrestled their hearts out and did well. GREAT JOB SHHS WRESTLERS!! YOU DID US PROUD!!!!!
Go Green

United States

#9 Feb 16, 2009
Congrats to the Huskies what a great year looked great against Sultana even though it was a L. Placed in Arizona against some of their best. Won league for the third straight year. Backed up with an unexpected CIF Champion back to back win. No doubt this team would be a DIV I contender. Salute to the whole team, with strong back ups comes a whole team that works hard and performs well. And that's all anyone can ask! SHHS enjoy your moment!!!!!!
Wrestling Fan

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#10 Feb 16, 2009
I would like to mention some of the wrestler's that recieved no pub.
Joseph Telarico wrestled great ! I believe he teah or pinned all of his competition that included wrestling up a weight class . Kyle Vondran and Trevor were hugh as well. I think they should give thanks to not only the coaches but their teamates , parents , ets. Great job South Hills and good luck @ individuals .
Taylor

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Feb 16, 2009
Funny thing about all my years, is that everyting said to a reporter never gets in the paper. THis year, while not a rebuilding year, 103 119 125 152 215 285 all wrestled the finals was a total team effrt, a team with 2 freshmen and 5 sophmores. Not to mention several others who placed throughout the year as B guys at Major tournemants that will retrun next year. So as for rebuilding keep talking it up cause it seems to ingnite a little competitive fire in my kids. Last year ar MARINA hs we stood proud on the stand after having 6 in the finals we had nothing to be bad sports about. I have posted my name, put myself out there because everything I say is true. HMMMMMMMMM can you do that? Maybe an SH kid was rude, maybe he thought his crap didn't stink, the fact that it wasnt brought up until now when nothing can be done is funny. Our kids wrestle with class and carry themselves with class. Yes our 130 pound freshman did leave the medal stand, but if you were there you saw him get reamed by ME. And you also saw our 125 stand and be humiliated as another " champion" strutted and postured for almost 5 minutes. I will not retrun here so do not reply. My piece is said, Congrats to all 103 kids in the SHHS program, let move on to the next three weeks
wrestling fan

West Covina, CA

#12 Feb 16, 2009
Taylor,
well said
SHHS wrestling parent

Glendale, CA

#13 Feb 17, 2009
Congratulations on a fine season . Let's not belittle our success by the views of jealous indivduals. The team has worked very hard in this REBUILDING year and come out shining . Great job to all the San Antion League wrestlers. We were cheering on our rival WC Bulldogs as they wrestling a tough match against SJB. I like for everyone to relax and remember that kids will be kids and hopefully learn as they make mistakes . We as parents and coaches have an opportuniy to mold fine young men / women. To Donny / Shirley - my hats off to you guys in showing that everyone plays by the same rules! Great job South Hills and good luck to ALL the San Antonio wrestlers this week @ individuals.
wrestling fan

West Covina, CA

#14 Feb 17, 2009
I sure miss the days when the old Valle Vista league was the toughest league in the San Gabriel Valley with Northview, South Hills, Sierra Vista (Which all won the respective leagues) along with Covina, Baldwin Park, San Dimas, Bonita, even Ganisha had a few good years. All strong teams that were in a hunt for league champions even though Northview was the strongest they had to fight every year until everything was realigned. I sure miss all that competition in one league, I hope all the individual wrestlers from the San Gabriel Valley do well in C.I.F.
poppy

West Covina, CA

#15 Feb 17, 2009
yea that was one great league
You know all this stuff about wrestlers walking away or not staying up on the stand when medals are handed out has be going on for years at every level-CIF,Masters,even seen it at State.Not the greatest show of Sportmanship and most Coaches try very hard to teach sportsmanship, BUT hey they are WRESTLERS for God sakes not tennis players,they see the world a little diffrent than most athletes-never known a wrestler that was BEATEN by a better wrestler, in there minds they LOST because of something they did or didn't do, not because the other guy was better than them,so when they lose they are always mad at themselves,so intense and competive its understandable,might not like it but understand why it happens
Vince

West Covina, CA

#16 Feb 18, 2009
poppy wrote:
yea that was one great league
You know all this stuff about wrestlers walking away or not staying up on the stand when medals are handed out has be going on for years at every level-CIF,Masters,even seen it at State.Not the greatest show of Sportmanship and most Coaches try very hard to teach sportsmanship, BUT hey they are WRESTLERS for God sakes not tennis players,they see the world a little diffrent than most athletes-never known a wrestler that was BEATEN by a better wrestler, in there minds they LOST because of something they did or didn't do, not because the other guy was better than them,so when they lose they are always mad at themselves,so intense and competive its understandable,might not like it but understand why it happens
You said it best, must have been there!
Old Ghost

Sacramento, CA

#17 Feb 25, 2009
I am not sure I should post here, since I haven't been involved in the sport for a long time. For some reason I decided to see how my old team is doing, and found this site. I feel compelled to post, however, because it saddens me that any wrestler, from any school, would ever walk off the podium. It is an honor to even be on it, and I hope they realize that. I am also saddened that a wrestler apparently made a show of himself at the presentation. Both types of behavior should be seen as unacceptable.

I imagine some will disagree with me, but I would like to think I speak from a small amount of experience. My name is on the wall in the wrestling room, and I beat a Northview wrestler to earn it. When I won, I pumped my fist in the air after the ref raised it. As a result, neither of my coaches congratulated me, but instead laid into me as I was walking off of the mat for how I acted. I didn't understand why at the time, but I do now. I only know of Coach Froh by reputation, but I used to work out with Donny Stevens at Mt. Sac when he and I were in high school. They are both fine coaches, and I know they both have a tremendous amount of respect for the sport, and for the values it teaches. I am confident that neither of them condone such behavior. The lessons we learn on the mat stay with us our whole lives. I hope one of them is how to carry oneself not only with pride, but also humility.
AlexRosenauer80- 84

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Dec 21, 2009
Good Job Huskies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kawakami: Kaepernick's uninspiring performance ... 3 hr Cut The Kitty 2
Colin Kaepernick is wrong. 3 hr Waiver Coming 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Trojan 32,332
News Klutt 11th in NASCAR debut (Jun '10) 11 hr auto-racing 4
Stuart Cramer Varsity Football and Coach Mac 13 hr Heee 2
News It's time for the Mariners to DFA Adam Lind 16 hr johnnyj 1
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 18 hr comtech 61
More from around the web