Hanks hires boys basketball coach

There are 55 comments on the El Paso Times story from Aug 17, 2009, titled Hanks hires boys basketball coach. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Hanks High School has welcomed back one of its own. Manny Flores III, a 1997 Hanks graduate and basketball standout, has been named the varsity boys basketball head coach, the Ysleta Independent School District announced Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dallas Texas

Port Arthur, TX

#1 Aug 18, 2009
Congrats to Hanks High for Welcoming Mr.Flores back home. I played with Mr. Flores in San Marcos and want you to know he is a great person and a one of the best coaches I have had the honor of working with. Good Luck Manny Flores..HANKS LET"S GO!
question

El Paso, TX

#2 Aug 18, 2009
Hanks will fail sorry to say
look at the eastwood program
huh

El Paso, TX

#3 Aug 19, 2009
question wrote:
What are you talking about? Coach Flo was the JV coach at Eastwood for the past three years. Eastwood had a very rough season last year (with a very young team) after making area round appearances in 2007 and 2008 (going unbeaten in District 2-5A in 2008!).
Eastwood basketball will contend for a playoff spot this year and for the district title in 2011.
Coach Flo will have a lot of talent this year at Hanks and should be up there come playoff team. Next year, in 2011, not so much.
student

El Paso, TX

#4 Aug 19, 2009
Get rid of henry meili, he likes to smoke pot with his guys
ajo

El Paso, TX

#5 Aug 19, 2009
As usual the Ysleta school district and its cronies are wooed by the people who have limited experience in the classroom. The fact that Mr. Flores achieved success as a player does not mean he will have the experience to succeed as a coach. Furthermore, his special education certification does not mean a thing because he probably will not be a classroom teacher. He will probably function as an inclusion teacher and just track SPED students--a person with the IQ of a paramecium can probably function just as well. His selection is another affront to those individuals who have dedicated their years and demonstrated repeated success at schools that are not recognized as powerhouses, i.e., Avila at Ysleta. In the last five years, Ysleta has won three district titles, four bi-district titles, and transformed the gymnasium and locker room into what is often found at colleges across America. But this is YISD where loyalty, hard work, and success are not rewarded. Instead, personal relationships is what dictates who gets hired and who doesn't. I would not be surprised if there were several members of the interview committee who had a conflict of interest because they are Mr. Flores friends or his former teachers. It happens all the time. YISD is still a good ole boy network focused not on the success of their students but on providing jobs and promotions to the less qualified and less prepared.
1whoknowstheprog ram

United States

#6 Aug 19, 2009
hanks should have a great yr coming up. with a senior class of possibly 11 players, 5 of whom have been on varsity since their sophomore season, the upcoming season is looking good for coach flores. however, it seems that the following yr will be a bit of struggle. there were other good candidates for the job(avila,perez,meili...) but im sure flores will get the job done. i look foward to playing flores and hanks
Jerry Carrillo

Sierra Vista, AZ

#7 Aug 20, 2009
question wrote:
I would like to congratulate Manny Flores on becoming the next Boy's Basketball Coach at Hanks HS in El Paso Texas. Furthermore, I think it is a great hire! How can you go wrong with hiring an alum who made himself into a legitmate Division I basketball player. I had the opportunity to coach Manny in Junior College and then see him go on to have a successful career at the Division I level. Additionaly, Manny was a Division I asst. at the Divison I level, so I believe he can evaluate talent, and improve the skills of these High School student/athletes. I have no idea who else applied for this position, but I do believe that Hanks HS did hire an excellent young man with great integrity, and some one who does know what he is doing! I am proud to have coached Manny so I am proud to have put my name on this...Manny will do a great job.
Jeff Caha

Bethany, OK

#8 Aug 21, 2009
Congrats to Manny Flores and to Hanks HS for hiring Coach Flores - I was lucky enough to play with Manny for two seasons at Cochise COllege - Manny was the reason we had such an amazing sophomore season - I was witness to the hours of work Manny put in to not only make himself better, but to make us better as a team. To this day, I still use Manny as an example to players I coach at the college level. Coach Flores is stil a close friend and a great person and he will do a great job. I am very proud of Manny for the opportunity he has been given.
aconcernedparent why

El Paso, TX

#9 Aug 22, 2009
What are his accomplishments as a coach? Has he won anything at the JV or Freshman level? It seems that coaches get by passed because of all the politics in the district. No longer is being loyal and successful enough. It has to be who you know. The only ones that suffer are the students,I wish the district would reward the coaches that are successful around the city. Winning matters and if you can not win at the lower levels what makes the district think they can win at the varsity level? All I would like to know are his accomplishments as a coach?????
Blazer

El Paso, TX

#10 Aug 23, 2009
Avila you shot yourself in the foot when you were going around town telling everyone you were the next head coach!! I heard someone went right to martinez and told him you were saying this, and he said he was not going to hire someone so arrogant. So, next time maybe you will learn to shut your mouth. All I can say for you flores is Harper, Brooks, and Baily are licking their chops, it is going to be too easy to beat you, rack up 2 wins for them. Henry you are to loud and stupid that is why you won't get another job in town. Look at the guy before you, Moreno, did you notice he was there 10 years or so and he used to apply for jobs and never got a smell!!! You and Jimmy are the exact same!! And I know you 2 get along soooooo well!! LOL...... Oh yea Hector what kind of system do you run.......One pass and jack it up???? They should have hired the best guy for the job David Rueda, He has more accomplishements than anyone in town except his mentor Harper.
elpasoplayer

El Paso, TX

#11 Aug 23, 2009
Blazer you are somewhat right? There are some great assistants in town like at Americas, Burges, and Riverside. Avila is a loud mouth. Larson is a great coach and has varsity experience. He should have been your man. Martinez and Perez will also get their chance soon. They have Proven themselves as winners and have great mentors under Cordova and Vela in winning programs.
Mark M

El Paso, TX

#12 Aug 24, 2009
Here are my two cents:
cent 1: Coaching High School Boys Basketball (Varsity) is very different from any other division or class. If you have not been a varsity boys basketball coach, please don't comment about what it takes to win at this level.
cent2: Coach Avila please be patient, montwood and eastwood will be having opennings in the near future. There are a lot of haters out there, but that usually is a result of consistently beating them on the court and they often wonder how you did it. I guess its that "one pass and jack it up" system. Trust me, if it were that easy more Coaches would use this system.
High School Coach

Tornillo, TX

#13 Aug 24, 2009
Mark,
cent 3: Why don't you look at last years schedule. He played Eastwood and Hanks with that great system and that great team he had. And, really has he even made it past the first round of the tourny?
High School Coach

Tornillo, TX

#14 Aug 24, 2009
Oh forgot to mention he lost to both Eastwood and Hanks by 15 and by 19??? Nice system?
Mark M

El Paso, TX

#15 Aug 24, 2009
High School Coach wrote:
Oh forgot to mention he lost to both Eastwood and Hanks by 15 and by 19??? Nice system?
You're comparing apples to oranges.
There is a lot more to this story, that I will not waste my time going over one game at a time. How many teams in this city win 20+ games a season. I invite you to the reservation and see how exciting it is to watch a high school basketball game.
Be safe

United States

#16 Aug 24, 2009
Mark M wrote:
<quoted text>
You're comparing apples to oranges.
There is a lot more to this story, that I will not waste my time going over one game at a time. How many teams in this city win 20+ games a season. I invite you to the reservation and see how exciting it is to watch a high school basketball game.
Don't do it!! It's not worth your safety to drive DOWN to that part of town!! Then, if you make it past the dark, unlit parking lot you have to try to ignore their profanity-mouthed, classless parents and student body. YIKES!!
tatiana

San Antonio, TX

#17 Aug 24, 2009
Congrats to Mr. Flores

Only time will tell if he will be a great coach or not......

In the meantime let's just wish him well and give him the support he needs to put together a good athletic program and more importantly be a good mentor and leader for those young men.
Mark M

El Paso, TX

#18 Aug 25, 2009
I wish nothing but the best for Coach Flores and the Hanks Knights, I am only a high school basketball fan hoping a team from El Paso wins the state title. That may be him you never know.
elpasoplayer

El Paso, TX

#19 Aug 26, 2009
Mark
For your info Coach Avila was a jv coach Prior to varsity at Ysleta. There are some great Assistant coaches that can get those varsity jobs but aren't given a chance. Coach Flores will get that chance. Worth mentioning are Coach Larson (Americas), Martinez (Burges), Perez (Riverside), Vela (Del Valle). Avila is the most overrated coach in El Paso. Talent helps but he does not build it. He got that Program from a great coach that is now at Jefferson (Uranga). Ysleta is going to lose this year that s why Avila wanted out.
EPTX

El Paso, TX

#20 Aug 26, 2009
Manny Flores knows the game, how to teach it, and how it should be played. Mentoring the kids and teaching them the game is what it's all about. It's a beautiful game when it's played the right way. Good luck to you Coach...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 min Brew In 29,764
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 45 min Go Blue Forever 2,049
News Is it Fair to Make a Public Appeal for a Live O... 1 hr tom wingo 2
News Act 47 looming for McKeesport? (Jan '11) 1 hr tom wingo 203
News Source: Disgruntled running back Adrian Peterso... 1 hr tom wingo 4
News Kayne West booed at Billboard Music Awards 2015... 1 hr tom wingo 7
News Jill Duggar Dillard Criticized over Use of Slin... 1 hr tom wingo 26
More from around the web