Tomlin knows what the Steelers need

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 8,963

“I think [flexibility] is a great thing”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was a bright-eyed, first-year head coach at the NFL Scouting Combine a year ago, but he didn't have a good feel for his team's strengths and weaknesses. via Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Full Story

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

Butler, PA

#2384 Jan 22, 2009
JW Smooth wrote:
<quoted text>We are all stiller fans Bob?
Come on now tweety we all know you secretly cheer for the black and gold!

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#2385 Jan 22, 2009
Biggyarddogg wrote:
Hey guys,is it just me or does it seem like (NFL) judges his own comments with favorable icons like agree and brilliant.And judges the people against him with disagrees and clueless......thats really pathetic! Go Steelers!!!
nobody pays any attention to the icons anyway. but you are most likely right...nfl is the icon fairy. lol.
Super Bowl

AOL

#2390 Jan 22, 2009
Biggyarddogg wrote:
When he judges himself as funny, thats my favorite LMAO!!!!
Now this guy is a moron.
Super Bowl

AOL

#2391 Jan 22, 2009
Jopa-n

United States

#2392 Jan 23, 2009
Prisuta of the Tribune has a good column today about the offenses need to score some more points and not leave points out on the field for this game.
He states how the expectations for the defense against the high octane attack of the Cards cannot be the same as it was against the Ravens. Therefore, the offense must catch better, run better, and play smarter. TD's instead of FG's.
He is 100% correct on all fronts. The Steelers D could actually do better overall against the Cards and still give up over 20 pts. Thus, the offense must move the ball more consistant and get the ball in the endzone.
If the run is there early, it will help tremendously, but if not, they can't try to win by attrition.
The Steelers can move the ball on anyone if they play smart, use all their weapons, and keep out of obvious 3rd and longs.
NFL

Buckeye, AZ

#2393 Jan 23, 2009
FvsT wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, Poor guy...sad isnt it? Reminds me of you quoting sexual comments about what you do with fans old wrinkled moms on sports forum.
But then again, thats probably the only way you could get a Y-Steak is if it was over 65, wheel chair bound and carrying a colostomy bag.
lol what another idiot lol
NFL

Buckeye, AZ

#2395 Jan 23, 2009
Biggyarddogg wrote:
Hey guys,is it just me or does it seem like (NFL) judges his own comments with favorable icons like agree and brilliant.And judges the people against him with disagrees and clueless......thats really pathetic! Go Steelers!!!
cornball lol

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#2397 Jan 23, 2009
Jopa-n wrote:
Prisuta of the Tribune has a good column today about the offenses need to score some more points and not leave points out on the field for this game.
He states how the expectations for the defense against the high octane attack of the Cards cannot be the same as it was against the Ravens. Therefore, the offense must catch better, run better, and play smarter. TD's instead of FG's.
He is 100% correct on all fronts. The Steelers D could actually do better overall against the Cards and still give up over 20 pts. Thus, the offense must move the ball more consistant and get the ball in the endzone.
If the run is there early, it will help tremendously, but if not, they can't try to win by attrition.
The Steelers can move the ball on anyone if they play smart, use all their weapons, and keep out of obvious 3rd and longs.
I don't think the cards will score more than three times unless they get a garbage TD in the end. I'm thinking our D holds them to 13 or 17. The offense should be able to put up over 20 points against these clowns. The ravens D is head and shoulders above the cards D and our O put up 16 but it should have been 23 (holmes gets burned by the refs) and it could have been 33 (sweed drops a TD and tomlin mismanages the clock)

If the offense doesn't shoot itself in the foot we get 30+ if they play the way they usually do we get 20+...my official predictions will be made closer to gameday when I see how Ward is doing.
FvsT

Houston, TX

#2398 Jan 23, 2009
NFL wrote:
<quoted text>lol what another idiot lol
lol what another idiot lol

Since: Dec 08

Slippery Rock, PA

#2399 Jan 23, 2009
Jopa-n wrote:
Especially, taking advantage of EARLY opportunities to core will be key. AZ has SO many weapons, it would be great to be able to at least take Edgerrin James off the table in the second half.

Slippery Rock, PA

#2400 Jan 23, 2009
oops. To "score."

Slippery Rock, PA

#2401 Jan 23, 2009
Jopa-n wrote:
I don't think Grimm will have an effect on the game from knowing protection patterns for the Steelers. The Steelers are pretty straight up with what they do, they just make it look ritzy so that the QB dosen't quite know exactly where all of the heat is coming.
The reality is that the Steelers go as there pressure goes. Beat your man, create pressure, defense does well. The more exotic stuff works if the OLB's are puting stress on the corner.
If the OL has to double up or get help on the corners, the middle opens up for the linemen and inside LB's.
The Steelers usually don't remember any of their protection patterns, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Since: Mar 08

Ford City

#2402 Jan 23, 2009
Super Bowl wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this guy is a moron.
A big tough guy behind a computer,id rather be a moron than a b*t8h like you are.

Since: Mar 08

Ford City

#2403 Jan 23, 2009
Super Bowl wrote:
Why does this person have no information available? No join date, no location, no anything! Could someone tell me why? It would be greatly appreciated. I have my own theories, seeing that she pointed me out it as a wagoneer, it would be nice to know. Go Steelers!
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#2404 Jan 24, 2009
This is the closest thing I have to a prediction so far. We will definitely win if we can accomplish two things:

1) Win the special teams battle (i.e., hurt them more with special teams than they hurt us).

2) Run on them. Offense is going to be the best defense against these guys. Keep them off the field!!

If we can kill a lot of clock and not give up cheap points or cheap yardage, the rest will definitely take care of itself.
Jopa-n

United States

#2405 Jan 24, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
This is the closest thing I have to a prediction so far. We will definitely win if we can accomplish two things:
1) Win the special teams battle (i.e., hurt them more with special teams than they hurt us).
2) Run on them. Offense is going to be the best defense against these guys. Keep them off the field!!
If we can kill a lot of clock and not give up cheap points or cheap yardage, the rest will definitely take care of itself.
Good call. Smart play with a little ball control to boot makes the best defense even better.
Offense needs to do whatever they can to be a force is this game.
Yes

AOL

#2406 Jan 25, 2009
Biggyarddogg = wagoner.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#2407 Jan 26, 2009
Jim Colonie (sp?) was on ESPN today arguing that Polamalu should cover Fitzgerald one-on-one for large portions of the game (he cited Polamalu blanketing TO for much of the Steelers/Eagles game a few years ago). An interesting idea. It would hurt rushing D, but it would allow us to double Boldin...

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

#2408 Jan 26, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
Jim Colonie (sp?) was on ESPN today arguing that Polamalu should cover Fitzgerald one-on-one for large portions of the game (he cited Polamalu blanketing TO for much of the Steelers/Eagles game a few years ago). An interesting idea. It would hurt rushing D, but it would allow us to double Boldin...
Taylor is faster (not quicker) than troy and better at covering. troy will take care of his assignment if asked to, but he's not a corner back.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#2409 Jan 26, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
Taylor is faster (not quicker) than troy and better at covering. troy will take care of his assignment if asked to, but he's not a corner back.
I think Troy and Fitzgerald is actually a pretty good matchup. Fitzgerald isn't a speed back, so I think Polamalu keeps up with him just fine, and Polamalu might do a better job of muscling him off the ball. I think Ike would need help. But who knows? I'm not sure I agree with the idea, either, but Colonie was making an interesting point when he brought up that game against T.O.(who may not have been quite as good as Fitzgerald, but Colonie made the point that Polamalu is better now, too).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amid crisis, can the NFL still grow female fan ... 1 hr James 4
advanced nunchaku techniques 5 hr Tan 1
'Buy two grams, get the third half price': Sydn... 5 hr Dan 1
Peyton Manning is Better Than Brady, Says Talib 6 hr Charles 371
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr R TRUTH 27,426
Was Adrian Peterson wrong to punish his child w... 8 hr woodtick57 228
Petition filed seeking to block Peterson from son 8 hr from me 1
•••
•••

Sports People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••