Bridgeport police units facing revamp

Bridgeport police units facing revamp

There are 121 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Bridgeport police units facing revamp. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Police Chief Bryan T. Norwood has disbanded the department's 12-officer Traffic Division, and other specialized squads - including the K-9 Unit, Mounted Unit and the Tactical Narcotics Team - may be next on the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
chef nogood

United States

#1 Aug 25, 2008
dee dee dee, did anyone see my remote control car, dee dee dee
TThadeus

AOL

#2 Aug 25, 2008
Back about 20 years ago when gangs in Los Angeles were shooting at each other in drivebys and hitting a lot of innocent bystanders, I was fond of saying that I had a solution for the gang problem: marksmanship lessons.

I figured if they hit the people they were actually shooting at that there would be fewer gang members on the street. OK, I wasn't known for deep thought in the '80s.

But the problem with gangs has now ballooned beyond anything we could have imagined in the waning days of the Reagan Administration. You go to just about any town, no matter how small, in this country and you will see gang graffiti.

The spread of urban gangs to the streets of every suburb and hamlet can be explained by a perfect storm of phenomena. Here's my list:

Gang members love to exploit their own people. So if a chicken processor in Iowa is hiring illegal alien workers from Mexico and Central America, Mexican and Central American gang members go with them.
Parents of gang members moved away from gang-ridden neighborhoods in the city back to small towns across the United States in order to keep their kids "out of trouble." In many cases, the kids organized gang sets in their new locales.
Finally, the media, music, movies, and even the Internet have glorified gang culture. The effect of this is staggering. There are actually white teenagers running around the suburbs pledging allegiance to the Bloods or the Crips. You can imagine what would happen if these guys ran into the real thing.
Gang culture is so strong in this country that it can't even be overcome with money. Case in point, Jose Luis Muñoz.

Three years ago, Muñoz was being chased by officers of the Anaheim Police Department, when he was struck by a patrol car. He reportedly had surrendered before he was hit. So Muñoz, a known gang member, sued the city and scored $2.5 million.

Subtract the legal fees of probably 40 percent, and you are still left with $1.5 million. A smart person could take a windfall of $1.5 million and build a pretty nice life with it.

Muñoz, who—I kid you not—goes by the street name "Dopey," ain't all that smart. You see Muñoz was on probation and one of the rules of that probation was that he couldn't associate with his former homies. Munoz is now back in jail serving 16 months.

If $1.5 million won't keep a kid out of the gang life, what on Earth will?

PoliceMag.com Gangs columnist and retired Los Angeles Sheriff's Department gang investigator Richard Valdemar says a gang member's allegiance to his or her gang is a hard thing to break. It can be more powerful than love of family or country. He adds that the only thing he's seen pull gang members out of the life is a true religious conversion.

So here's the situation. Gang culture threatens to overwhelm good, decent Americans nationwide. And we need something to get it under control. We can't kill them all. We can't even imprison them all. And we can't hire missionaries to bring them all to God.

But we can take some of the money we are currently spending on Homeland Security grants and build a surge of anti-gang resources.

Now, if this surge is going to work, we have to be smart about this. We can't just have law enforcement go in arresting everybody who looks like a gang member and release them back on the streets the next day because they had no case.

Valdemar says that what we need to do instead is build a gang intelligence unit in every gang-plagued community in America. The mission of these intelligence units would be to build solid cases on gang shot callers and work with local prosecutors to get them long sentences. With a concerted national effort, we could decapitate just about every gang in America. That's what Valdemar and his LASD Operation Safe Streets unit accomplished in Compton, Calif., until their budget ran out.

Think about it. Think about how much safer your jurisdiction would be without gangs. Wouldn't that be worth the money?
Eden

Edison, NJ

#3 Aug 25, 2008
Sounds like a good idea, but in this politically correct society, ACLU lawyers line up to protect the gang members in court. The ACLU is more dangerous than the gangs.
Retired

United States

#4 Aug 25, 2008
The Bridgeport K9 unit of today is nearly 14 years old.

I rememeber those days.

The K9 Handlers and their dogs had clearly saved the lives of many Bridgeport Police Officers and citizens over the years.

They should be thanked and held in the highest regard. Not banished and forgotten.

Each of these Officers endured a 4 month bootcamp style academy to call themselves handlers. Due to injuries, I remember some had gone thru twice.

These canines do not come already trained.

Each Officer trains his own canine up to the standard.

The academy gives the candidate the tools to do this. Its on them.

Many fail.

The ones who are dedicated complete the task and make it to graduation.

AND IT DOESNT END THERE.

Bridgeport K9 Handlers assist every agency you can think of on a daily basis.

Just ask an agent or officer with one of the following agencies and they will attest to this fact.

DEA, ATF, FBI Fugitive task force, State Police, US Customs, State Parole, US Marshalls Office, State Corrections, all surrounding Local PD's, State wide narcotics, the Bridgeport Police Detective Bureau, Narcotics and Vice, the Neighborhood Enforcement Team, and finally the PATROL DIVISION of the BRIDGEPORT POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Murder, Kidnapping, Robbery, Missing Children, Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Burglary, the list goes on.

This is every day........

Read just one day of incident reports for the Bridgeport Police Department and you will be enlightened.

The Post is very selective at what they print.

They provide you with only a small tid bit of the violence that occurs every day in our city.

Tracking, evidence recovery, missing children, apprehensions, building searches, felony motor vehicle stops, narcotics recovery, etc,.....

This list of reasons for the existance of Bridgeport K9 Unit goes on.

Re think the un thinkable.
Mustang 66

Bronx, NY

#5 Aug 25, 2008
Common sense states that the K-9 unit is not only needed but it is CRITICAL...How many times has a K-9 tracked a bad guy, found drugs or quited a mob of people that were "itching" to get violent. Disbanding K-9, is sending a message to the bad guys "Go ahead deal drugs, runaway from the police and riot all you want.." We can't stop you.

I am not a cop, or a family member of a cop.
Give me a break

United States

#6 Aug 25, 2008
TThadeus wrote:
What does this have to do with the article at hand?????
BLUE

AOL

#7 Aug 25, 2008
This is very bad, it is going to have an affect on surrounding PDs who deal with Bpts criminals daily. Just wait until drug and gang related crimes start spiking in Fairfield, Stratford and Trumbull.
Welcome To Bridgeport

Wethersfield, CT

#8 Aug 25, 2008
I would like to take this time to welcome drug dealers from out of town and perhaps out of state...N.Y. in the house!!! Feel free to set up shop boys. Get while the gettin is good. THERE ARE NO NARCOTICS UNITS IN BRIDGEPORT!!! Now is the time to make some $$$$$$$ Cash Money $$$$$$$$$
Good luck slinging your product
Disgruntled Taxpayer

United States

#9 Aug 25, 2008
Joe Walsh, we need you!!!!!
Dazed and Amazed

Andover, CT

#11 Aug 25, 2008
It is amazing to me that someone can get into a position of such authority and power and have absolutely NO MANAGEMENT skills. Citizens of Bridgeport please don't be fooled, this has very little to do with overtime and a lot to do with getting what the Chief wants.

The Chief is not thinking from a Public Administration or Public Safety standpoint. As was mentioned in the article, this is an attempt to break the union and it is very sad.

The men and women of the Bridgeport Police Department deserve better and so do the citizens who pay the taxes in Bridgeport. I think we have all had enough with the "this is my sandbox" attitude from the Chief.

I ask all the people of Bridgeport who care about their city and their safety to stand behind the Officers who put their lives on the line on a daily basis. No one deserves to get 0% increases or to work in an environment as negative and vindictive as the one that currently exists in the BPD.

Signed,

Concerned for BPD
Democrat

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Aug 25, 2008
Hire more cops...pay them higher salaries...This is a very dangerous city.
Patchy

Peekskill, NY

#13 Aug 25, 2008
I still say: cut 300 pounds of ugly, disgusting, corrupt fat from the board of ed and save about $100,000 (how FABBSSS is that!) You can also toss that lying, animal abusing idiot Percy from BAS. So, there you have it, I have saved you $135,000 annually, secured public safety, protected animals and it isn't even noon yet.
Why so

United States

#14 Aug 25, 2008
BLUE wrote:
This is very bad, it is going to have an affect on surrounding PDs who deal with Bpts criminals daily. Just wait until drug and gang related crimes start spiking in Fairfield, Stratford and Trumbull.
Fairfield, Stratford and Trumbull do have police forces that haven't been hacked at with a budget axe. If you were a criminal would you hit towns that have dogs and enough officers to patrol around or stay in Bridgeport where you know the police department has been hamstrung by a dumb a$% mayor?

If I were a criminal I'd hang in Bridgeport, the chances of getting busted are lower.
Jay Tee

Fairfield, CT

#15 Aug 25, 2008
Democrat wrote:
Hire more cops...pay them higher salaries...This is a very dangerous city.
Don't worry, it's being handled by democrats.
Wake up people

United States

#16 Aug 25, 2008
"Finch, who defeated state Rep. Chris Caruso, D-Bridgeport, in last year's contested primary, said he's known and respected Kanasky for years, and credited him for his board service. But Finch said he sought a police board that would support Police Chief Bryan T. Norwood and wanted "a fresh set of eyes on the Police Department."

Kanasky took exception to the mayor's use of the word "support." "There's a difference between supporting and obeying," he said. "Somebody's got to point out to me where I didn't support the chief."
There goes another great asset to the citizens of Bridgeport. Mr. Kanasky I have to thank you for all your service to the community and the country. This great man saw what was happening to the police department and did not liked what he saw.

"I'm not lending my credibility to the city ever again," Kanasky said one recent afternoon, sitting in his downtown law office on Fairfield Avenue. Still, he added, "I'm very satisfied with my four years on the [police] board." Can someone please explain to me why a man with such integrity is walking away with such disgust? The mayor and the chief are at it again. At this point I have to say the officers may not be wrong, because a man of this quality is willing to quit over the actions of the chief and the mayor. I feel sorry for the men and women of this department. It sounds like they are really playing politics with the police department. Good luck to all of you. Everyone should really read this article www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_10293749
DB Grunt

Andover, CT

#17 Aug 25, 2008
You lost good people who should have been chief, FBI grads, muliple college degrees and strong skills, but you hired a nut instead, why, was it affirmative action pressures, was it he came from a corrupt department, fire fabrizzi and his no show job, fire carol and anastasi and hire some cops now. I live in this hole and work at the pd, chief your fired, zero percent are u kidding, finch you will be one term. Chief stop trying to get jobs for your friends at the court house, we see what your doing. Eliminate the dc's now, 150 a year a free car, i want out of here. Tp the public, were not all scum, just te ones with the brass.
Patrol 3

Andover, CT

#18 Aug 25, 2008
wll said broth, whatch out if you speak your mind, you might have oia comming after you
DB Grunt wrote:
You lost good people who should have been chief, FBI grads, muliple college degrees and strong skills, but you hired a nut instead, why, was it affirmative action pressures, was it he came from a corrupt department, fire fabrizzi and his no show job, fire carol and anastasi and hire some cops now. I live in this hole and work at the pd, chief your fired, zero percent are u kidding, finch you will be one term. Chief stop trying to get jobs for your friends at the court house, we see what your doing. Eliminate the dc's now, 150 a year a free car, i want out of here. Tp the public, were not all scum, just te ones with the brass.
amont

AOL

#19 Aug 25, 2008
AVA wrote:
Is this Chief Crazy?
Not only is the chief crazy but he is also a puppet being made to dance by Finchy.
amont

AOL

#20 Aug 25, 2008
They should be cutting corners on all the Deputy Chiefs, all the cars that are being taken home by people who do not need to take them home. In essence they should clean house and get rid of all the dead wood.
concerned bpt

Stratford, CT

#21 Aug 25, 2008
if the chief wants to disban units the illegial net team should be first.This department has been so split its a shame. That,s why you need a chief from with in the department. Every chief who comes from another department does not realize that every department has unions and differant contracts and that where they came from may not be the best way to run a department. Good luck Officers and remenber strength is in unity

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR crew chief preaches 'perspective' after ... 27 min YouPhartse 5
News Eagles Super Bowl parade cost $2.27 million, wi... 32 min RaiderFartSeekers 3
News How Can NASCAR Fix Its Attendance Problems? (Nov '13) 1 hr Actually phartse 15
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Chosen Traveler 35,798
News Tyler Thornburg injury: Boston Red Sox to decid... 6 hr Potential Phartse 2
Buy counterfeit money (cleanpaperz@gmail.com)Eu... Thu HowPhartse 4
News Peyton Manning inducted into Colorado Sports Ha... Thu Fart Appointment 5