McGloin now a starter in Oakland?

Nov 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Again, the Raiders are courting a quarterback quandary. Matt McGloin's performance in the Oakland Raiders' 28-23 victory over the Houston Texans and their previously top-ranked defense, along with Terrelle Pryor's recent regression and right knee injury, would suggest so.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
RaiderFaith

Spring Lake, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 18, 2013
 
Let's see. This should be an easy decision. Why? Because. Pryor has a sprained knee. Perfect chance yo give mcgloin another start and give prior more rest. This also gives Raiders brass a chance to see if mcgloin can do well again. At least see if he can give us a chance to win. If the war's didn't drop so many balls, he could have had a monster game. Give him a shot. Nothing has to be decided long-term today.

Since: Dec 12

Honolulu, Hi

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 18, 2013
 
JUST WIN BABY!!...it doesnt matter if scooby doo is playing quarterback as long as he wins but mcgloin played w heart and it was good to see our quarterback stand in the pocket and deliver the ball
RaiderFaith

Spring Lake, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 18, 2013
 
I can't get on board with it doesn't matter who is qb as long as we win. We won't become a contender until we have a leader for a qb. So it does matter. Otherwise we scratch a victory here and there and it's same old sub par seasons. I want us to build a winner.

Since: Jul 11

Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 18, 2013
 
The biggest advantage to having Pryor at QB is his ability to scramble & run the ball. If his knee is injured then they should give him extra time to heal. Don't bring him back too soon.

McLuvin beat a 2-7 team.....but he played very well. Let him start against the Titans.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 18, 2013
 
Zild0405 wrote:
The biggest advantage to having Pryor at QB is his ability to scramble & run the ball. If his knee is injured then they should give him extra time to heal. Don't bring him back too soon.
McLuvin beat a 2-7 team.....but he played very well. Let him start against the Titans.
WELL, THE IMPORTANT PART WAS THAT HE SCORED WHEN IT MATTERED! in the redzone! while the drive is going good. terrelle pryor drove us down the field with his feet. but failed to score on many occasions. mcgloin drove us down the field by passing and was able to score as needed for the most part i guess, cause i didn't see the game. also and most importantly, our struggling offense knew where our (qb) was at all times. mcgloin didn't get sacked that i know of? and also, i heard there was roughly 4 pases dropped? yet, our (wr's) were used. the (te) and (rb) was used! even marcel reece was used. the team looked like a normal football team! and not full of confusion with all the finger pointing! i still say for the sake of it, let pryor continue to play his starting job. but if it was up to me? "personally"?, i would start mcgloin! just for the fact that we really got nowhere with pryor in all those 8 games he played but one where he looked solid against chargers. mcgloin looked good stepping in for pryor when he was injured and he did good according to you all and reports. i mean, c'mon, it's about, what's good for the team! about, what's working and build or continue from there. and reality is, it will be good to look at mcgloin one more game while pryor is still injured like RF said "unquote"., to really get the benefit of the doubt. cause if mcloin does great the next game? there is no doubt! he played against the number one (D)?! wonder what he can do vs titans?
hey zild, you gonna pick the RAIDERS this time if mcgloin plays?(LOL). I KNOW I AM ; )
RAIDERS 2013!!!!
Captain Canada

Brandon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 18, 2013
 
Easy decision for Allen, start McLovin' again and let Pryor's knee heal. 2-7 Texans also have the best pass defense in the NFL, so it was an impresssive debut for McLovin'.

Since: Jul 11

Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 18, 2013
 
RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
<quoted text>WELL, THE IMPORTANT PART WAS THAT HE SCORED WHEN IT MATTERED! in the redzone! while the drive is going good. terrelle pryor drove us down the field with his feet. but failed to score on many occasions. mcgloin drove us down the field by passing and was able to score as needed for the most part i guess, cause i didn't see the game. also and most importantly, our struggling offense knew where our (qb) was at all times. mcgloin didn't get sacked that i know of? and also, i heard there was roughly 4 pases dropped? yet, our (wr's) were used. the (te) and (rb) was used! even marcel reece was used. the team looked like a normal football team! and not full of confusion with all the finger pointing! i still say for the sake of it, let pryor continue to play his starting job. but if it was up to me? "personally"?, i would start mcgloin! just for the fact that we really got nowhere with pryor in all those 8 games he played but one where he looked solid against chargers. mcgloin looked good stepping in for pryor when he was injured and he did good according to you all and reports. i mean, c'mon, it's about, what's good for the team! about, what's working and build or continue from there. and reality is, it will be good to look at mcgloin one more game while pryor is still injured like RF said "unquote"., to really get the benefit of the doubt. cause if mcloin does great the next game? there is no doubt! he played against the number one (D)?! wonder what he can do vs titans?
hey zild, you gonna pick the RAIDERS this time if mcgloin plays?(LOL). I KNOW I AM ; )
RAIDERS 2013!!!!
Heck no. When I pick'em to win, they get beat. I say Titans 98, Raiders 4 LOL

Since: Jul 11

Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 18, 2013
 
It's all part of my master plan, RM.....Muahahaha {rubbing hands together deviously}....(along with down-playing McLuvin so he'll have a great game)
Freddy

Granger, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 18, 2013
 
I watched the game and I am confused by some of the comments. Did McGloin get sacked? Yes. Were there read-option plays? Yes. He would have had a monster game if the WRs did not drop balls? No. The Moore and Ford pass were catchable? No they weren't; they were thrown well behind the WRs. Having said that, did McGloin do a good job? Yes. He looked like he knew the playbook. When the D helped him out with short fields, he scored TDs, not FGs. On the other side, there were plenty of three and outs. They only had one scoring drive of multiple plays. To his credit, the Raiders needed that drive and he produced. Should he start over Pryor? I agree with the group that if Pryor is hurt, he should not start. It is too big a part of his game, comfort level and how he plays the position. Can the Organization find out more about McGloin if he gets a second start? Yes. Does the Organization need to find out more about McGloin? Yes.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 18, 2013
 
Zild0405 wrote:
It's all part of my master plan, RM.....Muahahaha {rubbing hands together deviously}....(along with down-playing McLuvin so he'll have a great game)
(lol) YOU'RE CRAZY MAN!(LOL)!
RAIDERS 2013!!!! 2013!!!
The Autumn Wind

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 18, 2013
 
He looked good. IMO,start him again,let TP heal up,and lets see how this Titan game goes!! I WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE!!! Lets go RAAAAIDERS!!!

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 18, 2013
 
Freddy wrote:
I watched the game and I am confused by some of the comments. Did McGloin get sacked? Yes. Were there read-option plays? Yes. He would have had a monster game if the WRs did not drop balls? No. The Moore and Ford pass were catchable? No they weren't; they were thrown well behind the WRs. Having said that, did McGloin do a good job? Yes. He looked like he knew the playbook. When the D helped him out with short fields, he scored TDs, not FGs. On the other side, there were plenty of three and outs. They only had one scoring drive of multiple plays. To his credit, the Raiders needed that drive and he produced. Should he start over Pryor? I agree with the group that if Pryor is hurt, he should not start. It is too big a part of his game, comfort level and how he plays the position. Can the Organization find out more about McGloin if he gets a second start? Yes. Does the Organization need to find out more about McGloin? Yes.
well don't get confused with my comments freddy, i'm blindly speaking!(lol), i didn't see the game! but as far as talking about comfort level?, i gotta say the team looked very comfortable as far as me watching replays! when terrelle pryor came into the game, everyone looked comfortable because in comes this guy that was making explosive plays on his own! which was cool at the time?, but it got old sort of quick. he's flashy with a lot of self production with no results. looking at this game with mclovin, there were faults with the (wr's) as i'm told and read. but yet enough production all around "offensively speaking". and it all had to do with mcgloin in command. listen, it is pryor's job to lose but here's the biggest chance in the world to stay in the playoff race! mclovin? or pryor? based on the way the coach sounds? i don't see pryor getting back on the driver seat. it's unfair and may be unfair, but coaches want to win. "(BIG MISTAKE)" if he doesn't start mcgloin whether pryor is healthy or not! and even if we lose the next game? do you really want to go back to terrelle pryor because of comfort level? because he was the starter?.. i don't know?, but i saw enough to want to give this kid a chance that has picked up the game plan so quick and has produced touchdowns and win.
I VOTE MCGLOIN! i vote mcgloin cause, cause, well,,, that could make a big difference in who gets to stay and get fired and the direction of the team for next season?! not ride, but, put mcgloin in the driver seat i say for the rest of the season. i hear and saw enough!
GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!
RAIDERS 2013!!!

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 18, 2013
 
dennis allen should stop playing these games about who will start sunday's game! i mean yeah it's understandable and it's an advantage, but? DO IT FOR THE NATION AND MAKE US PROUD! well that's if you're starting mclovin!?
RAIDERS 2013!!!!

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 19, 2013
 
I'd give him another start before deciding for sure. Guys aren't as good once they are on film
SIlver Fan

Lehigh Acres, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 19, 2013
 
Some of you guys crack me up. I'm not going to go so far as to say the McGloin was the second coming of Peyton Manning, but he played an excellent game, all around. Stop with the defending our WR's, they were AWFUL, McGloins numbers would have even been better if we didn't have a group of inept clowns at the WR position (with the exception of Streeter). Ford, and Moore are total garbage. The jury is out on Holmes, but might not be too bad given some more playing time. Shoot, even Marcel dropped a PERFECT pass that hit him chest high in the hands that could have been a huge gain for the Raiders. McGloin looked like a seasoned veteran...commanded the huddle, no delay of games, no periods of confusion....no PANIC whatsoever. His passes and decision making were lightning fast. Bottom line, he played the game like an NFL QB should play....patient, stayed in the pocket and scored 3 times in the red zone. The ONLY thing Pryor has over McGloin is that he is faster and more elusive. I'll take McGloin's skill set over Pryor's anyday.

“Undertaker Raiders Simona S”

Since: Apr 11

The Blackhole

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 19, 2013
 
It really makes you wonder because McGloin thinks pass first like a QB should. I for whoever gives us the best chance to win and right now I'm in love with McGloin & R Jennings

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 19, 2013
 
Haleys Commet wrote:
It really makes you wonder because McGloin thinks pass first like a QB should. I for whoever gives us the best chance to win and right now I'm in love with McGloin & R Jennings
AND? i believe your other love BO JACKSON will light the (AL) torch in oakland sunday.
RAIDERS 2013!!!

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 19, 2013
 
Its hard to say whether or not it's the best QB performace of the season for us or not because he was just shy of 200 yards and most of the time you expect 300 from a QB but it's not yards that win the game it's points on the board and his 3 TD passes really make him stand out above Pryor. Pryor has 5 on the year but has also run for 2. I like Pryor because of his ability to run but I think a QB needs to think Pass first on passing plays and Pryor thinks run first.

I say since Pryor has been hurt start McGloin and if McGloin continues good work, keep him in as the starter but if he struggles have a healthy Pryor ready to step in.

When I was in HS I remember a QB that we all hate now named Tom Brady who was a 6th round pick and got a start thanks to an injury that sidelined Pro bowler Drew Bledsoe for a few weeks and he made the fans forget about their beloved Bledsoe as he went on to lead New England to 3 Superbowl championships and has lost 2 more since then.

Bottom line ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IN THE NFL
SIlver Fan

Lehigh Acres, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 19, 2013
 
Why not convert Pryor to a WR in the offseason...I think he would be an outstanding WR, with the added benefit of also being a very serviceable backup QB...save a roster spot.
RaiderFaith

Crossville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 20, 2013
 
I look at it differently. His running the ball is a liability not an advantage. Sure he can save a loss of yards and sometimes turn it into a gain. But the running so well has taken focus of passing. And opens him to injury. If I am not mistaken he has been injured twice already this season. So I look at his running as a short term positive but not a long term answer. I am not saying McGloin is the answer. It was only one game, not near enough to make that kind of judgement. But he did enough to warrant another start.
Zild0405 wrote:
The biggest advantage to having Pryor at QB is his ability to scramble & run the ball. If his knee is injured then they should give him extra time to heal. Don't bring him back too soon.
McLuvin beat a 2-7 team.....but he played very well. Let him start against the Titans.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Sports Forum right now

Search the Sports Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Shepherd Accident Raises Age Question in NASCAR 32 min boo ya 3
Top 10 Green Bay Packers of All TIme 43 min No No 27
Tom Brady is Overrated (Jan '06) 49 min flbadcatowner 10,022
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 1 hr Buffalo Bull 1,230
AJ McCarron, Katherine Webb to marry Saturday n... 2 hr Winters 1
NBA: End of an Era 2 hr Tu Hung Lo 3
Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson: The NFL's best c... 2 hr eric 55
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••