Would an assault weapons ban work?

Would an assault weapons ban work?

There are 3769 comments on the The Washington Post story from Dec 17, 2012, titled Would an assault weapons ban work?. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

When Adam Lanza shot 26 people in Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, he used a Bushmaster AR-15 , a popular style of semiautomatic rifle that can rapidly fire multiple high-velocity rounds, according to law enforcement officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

LRS

Shreveport, LA

#2674 Jan 16, 2013
An assault weapons ban will not prevent mass murders.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2675 Jan 16, 2013
californio wrote:
Can anyone show me where prohibition has ever worked in the USA?
People are finally realize the War on drugs has been a huge waste of money so now the government going on a war on guns.What we need to do to save lives is legalize drugs and other victimless crimes and you will see a quicker drop in Homicides then any law effecting gun ownership will.
Prohibition? No one is suggesting such nonsense ...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2676 Jan 16, 2013
LRS wrote:
An assault weapons ban will not prevent mass murders.
Aren’t the gun-a-holics forgetting something?“Guns don’t kill people – people with guns kill people!!!”
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#2677 Jan 16, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren’t the gun-a-holics forgetting something?“Guns don’t kill people – people with guns kill people!!!”

Better yet,guns don't kill people, gun free zones kill people.

Between the first significant school shooting, in 1966, and enactment of the 1996 (Gun Free School Zones Act], media summaries reveal eight shootings with 134 victims killed or wounded – a rate of 4.3 victims per year. Between 1996 and 2012,after passage of the Gun Free Zone Act, the review finds 62 shootings and 367 victims – almost an eight fold increase in shootings with a five fold increase to 23 victims per year. Yet, during the same period, FBI Uniform Crime Reports indicate homicide nationwide dropped by 14 percent.

Tacoma

Tacoma, WA

#2678 Jan 16, 2013

“DECEPTION = MOST POWERFUL ”

Since: Jul 11

POLITICAL FORCE ON THE PLANET

#2679 Jan 16, 2013
How's that working out for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup...

Watch them try to do that here.....

“The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society.

They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.”

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Citizen Pain

Middletown, CT

#2680 Jan 16, 2013
Dr_Zorderz wrote:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson
A brilliant quote. Unfortunately it may see some actuality.
Citizen Pain

Middletown, CT

#2681 Jan 16, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Prohibition? No one is suggesting such nonsense ...
People with both eyes open know what this regime is up to - control of the people.

Baby steps are fine with your ilk when it comes to violating the Constitution.

I know for a fact that many powerful leftists want confiscation to become a reality.
Citizen Pain

Middletown, CT

#2682 Jan 16, 2013
Tacoma wrote:
Thanks.

Now how about posting a "list" of young Americans (under the age of 18) from Illinois and California that were killed by gunshot in 2012?
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2684 Jan 16, 2013
Citizen Pain wrote:
<quoted text>
People with both eyes open know what this regime is up to - control of the people.
Baby steps are fine with your ilk when it comes to violating the Constitution.
I know for a fact that many powerful leftists want confiscation to become a reality.
"Baby steps are fine with your ilk when it comes to violating the Constitution".

A lot less than the republican created,republican supported and republican signed "Patriot" Act.

"I know for a fact that many powerful leftists want confiscation to become a reality".

Well post the "fact".
worse than we thought

Eatonville, WA

#2686 Jan 16, 2013
Tacoma wrote:
here is a list 'tacoma' of school shootings where antipsychotic drugs were the cause. 23,000 or 75 percent of gun deaths each year are suicide related, and people want to point at the firearm, when depression and how we treat it is the actual cause of the majority of firearm violence in this country! Most patients diagnosed with depression are going to be prescribed these Anti-Depressants and it's not over-dosing that is the problem, it's abruptly stopping the medication! When an un-monitored patient abruptly stops the medication, the suicidal and phsycotic emotions arise. The biggest feeling is that of a lack of conscience, or an "I don't care" attitude and they can do anything to anyone they want!
The legislature needs to look at all these Anti-Depressants like Prozac, Ritalin, Luvox, Zoloft, and Paxil, and take a close look at the side effects and the follow up care that is taking place.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/2000-05-1...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2688 Jan 16, 2013
Dr_Zorderz wrote:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
-Thomas Jefferson
LIAR!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/beau...

Location hidden

#2689 Jan 16, 2013
Citizen Pain wrote:
<quoted text>
A brilliant quote. Unfortunately it may see some actuality.
Unfortunately, for you, dumbphuque, it didn't come out of Thomas Jefferson.

Location hidden

#2690 Jan 16, 2013
worse than we thought wrote:
<quoted text>here is a list 'tacoma' of school shootings where antipsychotic drugs were the cause.
Gosh, Pa, tell us about Bigfoot next!
sheepdog

Chesapeake, OH

#2692 Jan 17, 2013
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>it will reduce them!
How so?
Kahuna

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#2693 Jan 17, 2013
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>
you wanna fire an AR -15 join the armed forces it's the exact same thing as the m-16 except it doesn't jam as much, they are hardly ever fired in full auto. no need for these to be on the street to "shoot tin cans"!
You missed my points-that being "our dear leader" wants ..."to do try anything if it only saves one child's life". Many, many things in life are far more common and accessible than a semiautomatic rifle is-like 5 gal buckets, heavy TVs,etc. all which kill more kids than long guns annually. To call you just stupid is an insult to morons as even a rudimentary understanding of fire arms would prevent a moron from making those statements.

Now Troll, back under the bridge and do what you do best,'go iron my shirts!'

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#2694 Jan 17, 2013
carol wrote:
<quoted text>
A Yaping dog? Is that some new Chinese breed? I just wanted to stop in and say hi, because I saw you were spamming several threads all with the same post. I just wanted to know where you get the original material because, frankly, I'm running out of stuff. Please let me know, I'm generally over on the Obama our next President thread, like you, spamming away for the good of the cause.
There are many mooches that are eager to build a bigger chache of candy. I am sure Soros or ACORN will be glad to supply you daily for new material as they have done for years. Would you believe many love to change there names and locations so people think there are more people that think the way of the liberal mindset.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#2695 Jan 17, 2013
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>
it will reduce them!
Other Tyrants Who Have Used Children As Props

January 16, 2013
Obama’s shameless exploitation of children as set pieces is hardly new or original. In fact, tyrants and dictators have used kids as props down through the ages.

Here are a few more recent examples:

The Soviet Union’s Joseph Stalin
China’s Mao Zedong
Germany’s Adolf Hitler
Cuba’s Fidel Castro
North Korea’s Kim Il-sung
Hugo Chavez
Hussein Obama

Obama is in company with his hero idols.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2696 Jan 17, 2013
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>stiffen drunk driving penalties then retard!
Yes morons don't care what kills more children.........

Liberals only care that others might have more money or power than they do

That is why they hate guns and the rich

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2700 Jan 17, 2013
Jack Welch wrote:
<quoted text>
you might want to check who actually has more money dummy! I got my fill of weapons in the service, I don't live out my fantasies with guns!
The vast majority of the poor are liberals.........

The vast majority of the rich are conservatives........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nation-Now 1 hour ago 8:28 p.m.Jets' Marshall s... 42 min Mullahing It Over 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 42 min Bruin For Life 32,288
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 18 hr tour and travel 34
News Igoudala In NBA Finals Spotlight As Warriors Lo... 18 hr Harry Horton 2
News Last Weekend's NASCAR Race Had Lowest Televisio... Fri WWE CRASHCAR 2016 13
News Rory McIlroy's Zika concerns deal further blow ... Thu Love it 1
News Woman Pumping Gas Shot In Leg During Robbery At... Jun 22 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web