New England Patriots draft wrap-up

New England Patriots draft wrap-up

There are 6 comments on the ESPN story from May 10, 2014, titled New England Patriots draft wrap-up. In it, ESPN reports that:

Best move: Reinvesting in the offensive line. The Patriots hadn't drafted an offensive lineman in 2012 or 2013, but they triple-dipped with fourth-round center Bryan Stork , fourth-round tackle Cameron Fleming and sixth-round right guard Jon Halapio .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ESPN.

Correction

Cypress, CA

#1 May 11, 2014
In defense of Bill Belichick
His selection of a QB in the second round was to ensure that the Pats had a quality backup should an injury befall Brady in the future. Mallet may or may not be around when it happens (likely not if it occurs next year). By selecting Garoppolo tn this years deep QB draft Belichick is trying to ensure the future of the Pat's competitiveness though at the cost of winning right now. His policy is at direct odds with what Indy did with Peyton. Indy risked depth at QB and other positions for better quality players at the starting position. End result is that stats are inflated because better players are more productive yet when one gets injured, usually around playoff time, the team loses its chance of making a serious Super Bowl run. It's a risk the Colts took, while Peyton was their QB, that Belichick refuses to take, not wanting to field a losing team (his legacy).
In retrospect, it also explains why Peyton had such inflated stats, playing with better starting personnel though with limited depth. Unfortunately for the Colts, they failed to recognize what is now apparent. Peyton gets nervous in big games and all the advantages he has during the regular season which led to his inflated stats dissipate (when he chucks his game losing pick six or multiple interceptions, which is his signature to end the season). Although Belichick could benefit from such a strategy (he doesn't have the limitations that the Colts had because Brady doesn't falter like Peyton), he chooses to error on the side of being conservative in case of injury. While Belichick takes the long term view, the Colts were somewhat forced to take the short term view of win at all costs and now, because Peyton has never made it a secret that his ultimate goal has not been to win championships, they will come, but to amass all the statistical records (his legacy) and be glorified as the greatest player of all time. Sorry to say but Brady's view of victory being pre-eminent has far exceeded Peyton's view of stats first and the victories will come. It also shows Brady to be the consummate team player to Peyton's me first philosophy. Peyton has also missed the boat in large part because his dad, as we saw with his controlling Eli out of S.D. to a more marketable N.Y., has been consumed with the almighty dollar. This can also be seen in Peyton's asking for top dollar that has limited the ability of the Colts to add depth to the team.
In a rare bit of luck, the Colts failure (building a team which only served to inflate Peyton's stats), worked for them when they hit the jackpot by having Peyton injured at just the right time to result in a top pick when Andrew Luck was available. Peyton also "lucked out" despite loosing $17M from Indy, when he had his choice of a dozen teams to choose from. His pick, a team that was young with great receivers, so plenty of money available for him, built by a Belichick protege, and at altitude so he could continue with his inflated stats and his march toward what he views as greatness,(despite his losing record come playoff time and against teams with winning records). If Peyton only had Brady's attitude and philosophy, he would have many more SB Rings and be the player he already believes himself to be.
Correction 2

United States

#2 May 12, 2014
Nice to see you still cant lead off a topic without mentioning your man crush on Manning.
Insight

Cypress, CA

#3 May 13, 2014
Correction 2 wrote:
Nice to see you still cant lead off a topic without mentioning your man crush on Manning.
Sorry you must be confused. I talk football while you talk guy on guy sex. Might want to rethink that before your state Attorney General releases all associated names to the appropriate employers. Once that happens you won't be able to afford the electricity to continue your perverted comments. At least your current term, man crush, is viewable while you have not been so decent in past comments. do I see improvement? Hope you continue in this manner so your employer will at least have a reason to consider retaining you. Last thing we need is another out of work deviant prowling our streets.:)
Bob Kraft

United States

#4 May 14, 2014
Correction wrote:
In defense of Bill Belichick
In retrospect,...Peyton.... Peyton.... Peyton),... because Peyton.... Peyton's .... Peyton's .... Peyton........ seen in Peyton's ...... Peyton's stats),....having Peyton ...Peyton also... If Peyton
Your Manning man crush is "viewable."
Mensan

Cypress, CA

#5 May 16, 2014
Bob Kraft wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Manning man crush is "viewable."
Refute it or add to it. Give us some value added, Otherwise you are just noise. So far noise only. Hope you improve.
As for top teams it again looks like San Fran, Seattle, Denver, New England, New Orleans, Indy and Green Bay. Can't wait to see if Tampa Bay can make a name for itself with Lovie Smith puting in a solid defense and turning the offense over to McCown with his new stable of receivers. Should be interesting. Likewise, watching New England battle Denver and SanFran battle Seattle are the best of the power teams. Hope Matt Schaub bounces back and shows the Texans they royally messed up. And this is the year we find out if the younger Harbaugh made a mistake on letting Alex Smith go. Cam Newton on San Fran would be awesome. Peyton too, at least until the postseason. Brady grew up as a San Fran and Joe Montana fan. Would be nice to see him take over that offense for his final few years since the Pats have decided to throw in the towel on draft days, and since Kapernick hasn't made the most of his opportunity.
Flatulence Fred

United States

#6 Jul 31, 2014
Flatulism

"Yup, a common problem. I would never dream of passing gas anywhere other than the bathroom, it would smell terrible and yes it might cause soiling. Of course i can't control it in the middle of the night and if i feel particularly sore or bloated i would wear old pants under nightwear. Too much information? Sometimes at work i can be in agony trying to hold on because we don't have very good toilet facilities at work."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gluck: NASCAR should ban Confederate flag from ... 3 hr Fart news 21
News NASCAR offering flag exchange at Coke Zero 400 8 hr Fart news 4
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 11 hr stewart scott 2,222
News Wartburg man charged with child sex abuse (May '12) 11 hr Fart news 262
News In NBA Finals, coaching ranks include job intri... 15 hr Fart news 15
News Does Dallas Stars Defenseman Sergei Zubov Belon... 15 hr Fart news 2
News How the Internet is ruining your memory 15 hr Fart news 9
More from around the web