2013 NFL MVP Race: Why Tom Brady Shou...

2013 NFL MVP Race: Why Tom Brady Should Win

There are 458 comments on the BleacherReport story from Dec 14, 2013, titled 2013 NFL MVP Race: Why Tom Brady Should Win. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

For the first several weeks of the NFL season, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning appeared to be a lock for the Most Valuable Player Award.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
SydPhdAnalytical Statistic

La Palma, CA

#1 Dec 15, 2013
My kids asked me an interesting question this weekend so I did a little research to try and give them a responsible answer. Their question was, "how can The Patriots QB Tom Brady be a viable candidate for MVP when Peyton Manning has better stats and will break several records this year". The question itself wasn't difficult but getting the idea across to a couple of youngsters was considerably more daunting. Here is what I told them.
The award for "most valuable player" should go to the individual who is most valuable to his team and not to the one that has the best statistics, because statistics are a result of the quality of your support personnel. So by most valuable I explained that this would be an individual without which his team would be most severly hampered. As an example I gave them an outrageous idea but one they thoroughly understood and went away happy with the explanation.
I explained that if a marathon race was conducted and one man had a bicycle (this would be Peyton Manning and his powerhouse offense in Denver), another man wore a new pair of New Balance running shoes (this would be Dress Brees and his solid offense in New Orleans) and a third man was on crutches (this would be Tom Brady and his lack of a front line as shown by sacks and lack of acceptable receivers as shown by Brady's hitting targets yet with resultant drops), it would be unfair to compare their times because of their individual circumstances. They agreed. Then I showed them that Brady somehow engineered victories over both Manning and Brees this year and that Brady's losses where in part due to referees, in games against both the Panthers and Jets, a dropped winning touchdown pass today not once but twice (Amendola and Hoomanawanui). With kids, I find the simpler the example the easier it is for them to understand it. In the hopes of getting them interested in statistical analysis I tried to press them into looking at both the qualitative and quantitative reasons behind my explanation but as usual they said no thanks, my explanation got the point across. Maybe one day I will find the words or approach that peaks their interest. For now I'm happy knowing my kids think I'm their go to guy and can trust me to explain things on a wavelength they can understand. I also like the accompanying hugs.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#2 Dec 16, 2013
Nobody throws a prettier game ending interception than Brady
Dave

La Palma, CA

#3 Dec 16, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
Nobody throws a prettier game ending interception than Brady
Granted, you make a good point, but he did throw two TD passes that were dropped first by Amendola and Hoomanawanui. Had the kicker not screwed up by missing the 47 yard FG and kicking the ball out of bounds Pats would have pulled it out. It's attention to the details now that their margin of error is almost non-existed with a beat up defense and literally no offensive receivers to strike fear in even a rookie CB or safety. Brady did what needed to be done to win twice before throwing the interception. Hard to throw 3 knockout TDs in 3 consecutive plays. Even in Cleveland he only had to do it twice. 2 out of three is pretty damn good. It's a shame his team sucks, and Belichick the genius, in over a decade hasn't figured out that good receivers mean constant points. If only Brady played for a team with receivers or better yet Denver. Wow, that would be awesome. Anybody notice that Belichick without Brady has a losing record? Just an observation. Pats may get the most out of their players but the people in New England responsible for team makeup sure need to be replaced. Belichick would make a great coordinator since he is so good at teaching players but as a head coach he seems to be along for the ride. Almost a decade since picking his own players and still no receivers, I mean SuperBowl Victories. Lucky to have gotten to last two and it was all Brady. Like Jordan on a Bull team without Pippen, it's hard to win no matter how good you are without at least some help in a team sport.
Janitor

La Palma, CA

#4 Dec 17, 2013
All good points. Bottomline is Brady doesn't have the quality of players around him to compete with Peyton yet somehow he still defeats him head to head. Anyone could win with the Broncos and yet Peyton still finds a way to throw INTs to lose even with a dynamite offense and a line that gives up almost no sacks. Meanwhile, Brady has far less than an average offense, no line to protect him and miraculously pulls off wins against Manning, Brees, leading a team that has no business being over .500 to a 10-4 record. Even his losses are on teammates that can't catch (Amendola most recently and Hoomanawanui one play later) and referees that pick up flags (Panthers) or call penalties they refuse to call on the competition (Jets). There lone remaining loss could have been averted if Belichick had challenged a TD that was ruled a non-TD (Bengals). With idiot coaches, inept teammates and refs too timid or worse willfully aiming to throttle Brady back, his play has been the best of any QB ever, and that includes the wild numbers Peyton has put up. With Decker and company, who couldn't? Switch Brady and Manning and the result would be an undefeated Denver club and a Pats team out of the playoffs. Clearly the MVP belongs to Brady. Unfortunately the sports writers hate his perfect life and perfect wife so out of jealousy they irk him by giving ever award and positive they can to Peyton while giving him crumbs. It may even have something to do with Peyton's dad and his connections. Whatever the reason, the media has always taken Peyton's side over Brady. Too bad that when they are dead and buried history won't be so kind to Peyton or the media that promoted his facade. They should know that honesty is the best policy. Guess they don't teach that in schools anymore, nor the analytical ability which is minimal, to see what's right in front of their very own eyes.
Joe Pill Bin

Miami, FL

#5 Dec 17, 2013
In that last drive, Miami was without 3 defensive starters themselves. They guy who made the final pick had spent the previous week keeping the bench warm in SF.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#6 Dec 17, 2013
Joe Phil-In for coach of the year
He overcame all the distractions he created
Joe Pill Bin

Miami, FL

#7 Dec 17, 2013
Joe Philbin has done a fine job for a guy without a pulse.
Terry

La Palma, CA

#8 Dec 17, 2013
Joe Pill Bin wrote:
In that last drive, Miami was without 3 defensive starters themselves. They guy who made the final pick had spent the previous week keeping the bench warm in SF.
Peyton Manning is the worlds best poker player. As long as the deck is stacked and he is given a royal flush like the Broncos offensive team to play with. If he has to play with an offensive team of lesser or equal strength then he has no hope. Makes one wonder how a guy who is stat and self oriented gets all the sports writers to carry his laundry on a regular basis. Heard a sports writer say Brady is a republican so he and his buddies will NEVER support him for MVP unless the public reverb would cause him to lose his job. Kinda makes the MVP Award worthless. No kinda about it. Brady makes chicken salad out of chicken shit while Peyton has a turkey dinner and makes pizza. Remember Brady beat Peyton and Brees head to head. Gotta wonder about the mental acuity or integrity of sports writers. Brady is a Lexus at half price. Manning is a Toyota at twice it's value. Clearly Brady is more valuable since he has nothing to work with while Peyton has the best offense on the planet and still finds a way to lose. Anyone could win with Denver, even Tebow did it. Nobody could win with New England but somehow Brady does. That's value.
Janitor

La Palma, CA

#9 Dec 18, 2013
Terry wrote:
<quoted text>
Peyton Manning is the worlds best poker player. As long as the deck is stacked and he is given a royal flush like the Broncos offensive team to play with. If he has to play with an offensive team of lesser or equal strength then he has no hope. Makes one wonder how a guy who is stat and self oriented gets all the sports writers to carry his laundry on a regular basis. Heard a sports writer say Brady is a republican so he and his buddies will NEVER support him for MVP unless the public reverb would cause him to lose his job. Kinda makes the MVP Award worthless. No kinda about it. Brady makes chicken salad out of chicken shit while Peyton has a turkey dinner and makes pizza. Remember Brady beat Peyton and Brees head to head. Gotta wonder about the mental acuity or integrity of sports writers. Brady is a Lexus at half price. Manning is a Toyota at twice it's value. Clearly Brady is more valuable since he has nothing to work with while Peyton has the best offense on the planet and still finds a way to lose. Anyone could win with Denver, even Tebow did it. Nobody could win with New England but somehow Brady does. That's value.
Mortensen on NFL Insiders, today showed just how idiotic the sports media are and how in Peyton's back pocket they are. Mortensen said that the reason Peyton gets the MVP over Kansas City's running back Jamal Charles, is because Peyton defeated Kansas City. If that's his reason then it time to wake this idiot up. Is he unaware that Brady with a lesser team, one that would be a sub .500 team with any QB other than Brady, defeated not only Manning but Drew Brees as well. Brady's losses come at the hands of Referees who pick up flags (Panthers), call penalties they don't call on other teams (Jets, 3 times), teammates who can't catch (Amendola against the Dolphins) and a coach would should have challenged an actual TD that was not called a TD by refs (Cincinnati). Manning deserves an award for his stats but MVP should be reserved for a player who is Most Valuable to his team. Manning has stats but his value was matched by Tebow who can't even make an NFL team. Sportswriters, idiots, at least most of them.
Terry

La Palma, CA

#10 Dec 18, 2013
Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Mortensen on NFL Insiders, today showed just how idiotic the sports media are and how in Peyton's back pocket they are. Mortensen said that the reason Peyton gets the MVP over Kansas City's running back Jamal Charles, is because Peyton defeated Kansas City. If that's his reason then it time to wake this idiot up. Is he unaware that Brady with a lesser team, one that would be a sub .500 team with any QB other than Brady, defeated not only Manning but Drew Brees as well. Brady's losses come at the hands of Referees who pick up flags (Panthers), call penalties they don't call on other teams (Jets, 3 times), teammates who can't catch (Amendola against the Dolphins) and a coach would should have challenged an actual TD that was not called a TD by refs (Cincinnati). Manning deserves an award for his stats but MVP should be reserved for a player who is Most Valuable to his team. Manning has stats but his value was matched by Tebow who can't even make an NFL team. Sportswriters, idiots, at least most of them.
If sports writers understood value they would write better stories and not give us the swill we end up getting. They are just too lazy to but in the due diligence and research to find the real answers. That's why we get Peyton every day, all day. It's so much easier to say oh look at the shiny numbers than to look into what true value is. Concur, morons most of them. Apologies to the morons, the writers and award voters may not be up to your level.
Dave

La Palma, CA

#11 Dec 18, 2013
Terry wrote:
<quoted text>
If sports writers understood value they would write better stories and not give us the swill we end up getting. They are just too lazy to but in the due diligence and research to find the real answers. That's why we get Peyton every day, all day. It's so much easier to say oh look at the shiny numbers than to look into what true value is. Concur, morons most of them. Apologies to the morons, the writers and award voters may not be up to your level.
Wishing people were smarter has been going on for a long, long time. Wishing will never make it happen. If they were smarter (could be an integrity issue, bought off etc) they would realize most valuable is not about stats. Brady, Charles, Graham all are far more deserving of added value and hence the MVP award. If Peyton gets it again it only proves to what depths the integrity of the league has fallen. League should install guidelines as to what MVP means so writers can't decide that MVP means whatever Peyton happened to do this year. He previously got an MVP award over other QBs because his team was winning, but they had better stats. Then he got one because his team did better than expected, yet others did better and had better stats, then he got one for stats, while others had better records and out performed. He even got support for an MVP in a year he didn't play because his team was doing so poorly without him. His team did bad not because they needed him, they needed a backup QB that they never got because Peyton pressed to spend the backup QB money on better wide receivers. These writers are unconscionable. Is there nothing they won't stop at to build this guy up. Look at all the deserving QBs who have gone without so they could build up Peyton. Why don't they just let him earn it like everyone else. Only way Peyton doesn't get MVP is for him not to meet one of about seven variables. It's hard to suck so bad that you miss them all. And yet he has many times in his career. Bet if he gets the award, and he will, that it will go to his head and will result in him losing the big one yet again.
MVP Fix

Houston, TX

#12 Dec 19, 2013
SydPhdAnalyticalStatistic wrote:
My kids asked me an interesting question this weekend, why are you such a fucking retard mommy and why do you have a small penis?
Kids.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#13 Dec 19, 2013
MVP Fix wrote:
<quoted text>
Kids.
LMFAOOOOOOOO
Freddy

La Palma, CA

#14 Dec 20, 2013
If Peyton Manning is so good, why is it all the awards he has are not earned but voted upon by sports writers who are buds with his dad? Just wondering. If Peyton had any respect for himself or the NFL he would tell his dad and the writers to knock it off and vote for the proper players. Nah that would never happen. Especially after Peyton has already made it known that he wants to break all the QB stat records and be known as the greatest ever. Wonder why he left out anything about winning and only added it in after it was mentioned to him that football should be about winning not advertising yourself as the greatest. Probably why he has so few rings and so many awards not earned but given him by voters who think as he does. They equate big numbers with leadership and championships when in fact they never have or will. In reality, Peyton can't shine Joe Montana's shoes and Brady is better than Montana. And Otto Graham may be better than Brady. PEYTON IS A WANNABE WITH MEDIA SUPPORT. The more they support him the more they degrade themselves and the NFL. He is a good QB but not anywhere on the scale they are reporting him to be. He is a chicken claiming to be a turkey. He just doesn't know it, and he will forever go down in history as that turkey, because he's chicken. LMAO. Sports writers have hooked their legacy wagons to Peyton not realizing they will forever be judged by their own facade building of Peyton when the real thing was right in front of then in Brady. Qualitative morons, thinking themselves to be quantitative geniuses. Even Tebow has achieved with the Broncos what Manning has to date. Tebow never got a voted upon sportsman of the year award.
Freddy

La Palma, CA

#15 Dec 20, 2013
Anyone who votes for Peyton Manning should get a copy of a Merriam Webster's Dictionary. Peyton is excellent but he has a lot, check that, the most to work with on offense. He certainly should win the offensive player of the year award because that is based on stats, but the MVP is supposed to be based on value, which means whoever infuses the most into making his team win. Denver cold win with Pee Wee Herman at the QB position, they did it with a guy nobody thinks can play QB, Tebow. If Tebow could win with Denver, Manning is not an MVP for doing no better than Tebow. Meanwhile Brady has no defense and even less of an offense yet he has led his team to a winning record beating both Peyton and Drew in head to head matchups. Were it not for a bunch of dropped passes like we saw this weekend by Amendola, and a bunch of Referees picking up flags like at Carolina, and a penalty called in the Jets game that they failed to call all three times the Jets did it, the Pats would only have 1 or 2 losses and not 4. Still, 10-4 is great given the lack of help Brady gets from teammates. That's really what an MVP is all about. Getting wins even when there is no way you should get them. On the other side, although Manning is very good, he actually loses games he should win. How is that an MVP. Bottomline line, it's what you do with what you've got. Manning has a lot and adds little, not getting past where Tebow took them. Brady has very little and yet has a team that has no business making the playoffs in contention for a SB run. And don't forget Brady beat Manning and Brees head to head with limited support. Hope the writers don't just mail it in for Manning as they do every year. Makes the NFL look like a second rate league.
hear say

United States

#16 Dec 21, 2013
SydPhdAnalyticalStatistic wrote:
My kids asked me an interesting question this weekend so I did a little research to try and give them a responsible answer. Their question was, "how can The Patriots QB Tom Brady be a viable candidate for MVP when Peyton Manning has better stats and will break several records this year". The question itself wasn't difficult but getting the idea across to a couple of youngsters was considerably more daunting. Here is what I told them.
The award for "most valuable player" should go to the individual who is most valuable to his team and not to the one that has the best statistics, because statistics are a result of the quality of your support personnel. So by most valuable I explained that this would be an individual without which his team would be most severly hampered. As an example I gave them an outrageous idea but one they thoroughly understood and went away happy with the explanation.
I explained that if a marathon race was conducted and one man had a bicycle (this would be Peyton Manning and his powerhouse offense in Denver), another man wore a new pair of New Balance running shoes (this would be Dress Brees and his solid offense in New Orleans) and a third man was on crutches (this would be Tom Brady and his lack of a front line as shown by sacks and lack of acceptable receivers as shown by Brady's hitting targets yet with resultant drops), it would be unfair to compare their times because of their individual circumstances. They agreed. Then I showed them that Brady somehow engineered victories over both Manning and Brees this year and that Brady's losses where in part due to referees, in games against both the Panthers and Jets, a dropped winning touchdown pass today not once but twice (Amendola and Hoomanawanui). With kids, I find the simpler the example the easier it is for them to understand it. In the hopes of getting them interested in statistical analysis I tried to press them into looking at both the qualitative and quantitative reasons behind my explanation but as usual they said no thanks, my explanation got the point across. Maybe one day I will find the words or approach that peaks their interest. For now I'm happy knowing my kids think I'm their go to guy and can trust me to explain things on a wavelength they can understand. I also like the accompanying hugs.
Poor kids... That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.... Brady goes down for a season, his team makes the playoffs. Manning, worst team in NFL. Denver is no different. Manning has been 10X better in every way this year over Brady. Not even close. Dude, you should get your head checked lol. This is a joke. And I'm a Bucs fan...
Janitor

La Palma, CA

#17 Dec 21, 2013
hear say wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor kids... That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard.... Brady goes down for a season, his team makes the playoffs. Manning, worst team in NFL. Denver is no different. Manning has been 10X better in every way this year over Brady. Not even close. Dude, you should get your head checked lol. This is a joke. And I'm a Bucs fan...
Hey nut job. To start with, Pats did not make the playoffs that year, so you are starting with a false premise. What you said is moronic. Obviously things like facts and analysis are not your strong point.
And the reason Pats did well when Brady went down was because they had a quality backup. A guy who threw for 28 TD and only 4 interceptions shortly after for KC. You can count the QBs who have done that in NFL History on one hand. Even Peyton never had a year like this. A guy Pete Carroll said was a toss up with Leinart for USCs starting job when Leinart won the Heisman. Mannings team did poorly when he was injured because he pressed the Colts to spend the backup QB money on receivers to up his stats at the expense of having a quality backup. Peyton is a me, me kind of QB and Painter is no Cassell. Cassell has started many games for multiple teams and not because the starter went down. He is infinitely better than Painter. And having Randy Moss helped him greatly. Painter with HoFers Marvin Harrison AND Reggie Wayne just plain sucked. If Brady had Harrison and Wayne AND played a decade in a temperature, wind controlled dome, you could bet your ass he'd have twice as many SB victories than he already has. If you want to hear real stupidity get a tape recorder and listen to yourself!!!
Dave

La Palma, CA

#18 Dec 22, 2013
Lets be blunt.
Peyton Manning tied Tom Brady for TDs in a season today at 50, then passed him for the record at 51. A truly great football accomplishment no doubt BUT I have been tracking, and to date, video proves that three of the TDs were not really TDs. Again today Peyton was given credit for a TD he didn't earn (like a couple of his MVP Awards given/voted him and not proven on the field). With about 5 minutes left in the game when the game was no longer in doubt, Decker juggles the ball through the end zone for what was clear to even a child a non-TD. The league is so in Mannings pocket that they give him credit where it is clearly not deserved. What goes around comes around. Both Manning and the league will receive fair compensation, lets hope thats how the universe works.
hear say

United States

#19 Dec 22, 2013
Blah blah blah blah blah.. And to the idiot above, I never said "LAST YEAR", you moron. You put Manning on the Pats teams over the years, he's got 5 or 7 rings. Y'all are just haters lol.
Numbers never lie

La Palma, CA

#20 Dec 22, 2013
hear say wrote:
Blah blah blah blah blah.. And to the idiot above, I never said "LAST YEAR", you moron. You put Manning on the Pats teams over the years, he's got 5 or 7 rings. Y'all are just haters lol.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Peyton has a problem with the wind and cold. Historically he is below average when playing in these conditions. If he played for NE he'd be lucky to break even. He likes it cushy in a dome where the weather is nice and comfortable and there is no wind to affect his passes that are nowhere near the darts Brady throws. As long as Manning can control the elements to be to his liking, he can do quite well. When the elements are not to his liking he performs poorly, hence his 9-11 record in the postseason. The fact that Brady has excelled where even a Peyton Manning could not, tells you all you need to know about the difference between these two QBs. Peyton's big numbers are mostly due to his having better receivers like Hall of Famers Marvin Harrison and soon to be a Hall of Famer Reggie Wayne for over ten years, and playing in a dome that has no wind. Brady in this setting would have even better numbers. We certainly know Peyton does not perform well in the wind where Brady excels, because of his stronger arm, despite having had no receivers to speak of for those same 10 years. Manning is conditionally excellent, Brady is unconditionally great. All things considered its Brady in a landslide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 13 hr tour and travel 34
News Igoudala In NBA Finals Spotlight As Warriors Lo... 13 hr Harry Horton 2
News Last Weekend's NASCAR Race Had Lowest Televisio... 20 hr WWE CRASHCAR 2016 13
News Rory McIlroy's Zika concerns deal further blow ... Thu Love it 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Trojan 32,287
News Woman Pumping Gas Shot In Leg During Robbery At... Jun 22 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News NFL: Ex-Jet QB Sanchez defrauded in investment ... Jun 22 Fake Society 2
More from around the web