Sheriff: Grainger County's largest dr...

Sheriff: Grainger County's largest drug ring busted

There are 42 comments on the Knoxville News Sentinel story from Oct 1, 2012, titled Sheriff: Grainger County's largest drug ring busted. In it, Knoxville News Sentinel reports that:

A father and son deemed to be the largest drug dealers in Grainger County were busted during a raid on their home by state and local authorities last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Knoxville News Sentinel.

wow

Morristown, TN

#22 Oct 4, 2012
Wait for the federal indictment to come and see how foolish you are oak tree.i swear you do know more than the goverment!!!
small world

Portland, OR

#23 Oct 4, 2012
Old Oak Tree wrote:
I fail to understand you people. Yes, it is good that dealers are busted. But, is it good when these said dealers were reported arrested and WERE NOT? Is it good when the police report false news to the media? If you read the second report, it says that the men were NOT arrested, they have the papers to prove this. The large amount of money the police said they took, was not large. Once again, papers to prove this. Last of all, the drugs that were found were their prescription medications. Nothing can be done to them other than child neglect, if they can even make that charge stick. Channel 8 news said they had tried to contact Sheriff Layle, but calls were not returned by him. His officers stated to the reporter that they were not allowed to appear on camera, only the Sheriff could do that. Drugs are running rampid and we need clean busts that will stand up in court, not halfass crap that will get the county sued.
I am in no way defending the people that were arrested. I realize they are most likly guilty as sin. However, I am not going to pat Layle on the back and say good work for a shotty job. These people will walk away from this, and we will be lucky if they do not sue the county. I for one want to know the WHOLE STORY. We have Grainger County Sheriff's Department's story, we have the story of those arresrted. I say the truth lays somewhere in the middle and needs to be told. Channel 8 says they saw the police reports and the Mullins man was telling the truth about not being arrested and the drugs and money found in the home.
Are you people so ready to praise a Sheriff that has lied to the people that elected him? You all know I have never been a supporter of his. Even if I had been, this is not justice. Justice is making a case against a guilty person cleanly and honestly. This was neither of those things.
I happen to disagree with you on everything you say,but I agree with you 100% on this. Everyone if you have the time to go back and look over "rutledge topix" you will see that that half of the people that have been arrested for drugs in the past 6 months to a year have said that all the paper work that the deputies and Scott Layel wrote out were to different stories and that Layel, was lying! I can name just about everyone of them that were as gulity as gulity gets but things were being said that was not true, and some of the stuff that was put on some of the peoples report where lies and thet had not even done what he had said they had done. Point is that Layel didn't think they would do anything about it, or know one would believe them. Here are some of the people that have been charged with something, but they are saying they did never do.
Sheriff makes 1300 drug indictments in only 2 years.
Duo arrest for tosing drugs into Grainger jail.
3 arrest on meth making charges in Grainger County.
Grainger County mom charged after daughter allegedly brings drugs to jail.
Grainger County mam faces charges for making meth.
All, of the above people have paper work to prove they were NOT charged with (some) of the things Scott Layel, said and 3 of the people said that drugs where never even found, and he still charged them with it. They will be a huge lawsuit on Grainger County, there is no questions ask about that. Seems to me that he is doing a very shity job. I find it very odd that most of the above people have said that they were not even arrested but Layel, gets on the news and put on a big show for everyone, to make everyone think he is the best number 1 sheriff ever. I hope they sue the shit out of the Police Department then go back on the News and make him look like a ass that he is.
WHAT

Portland, OR

#24 Oct 4, 2012
This blows my mind 2 years of investigating and the law enforcemet knew children were involved but still yet they just sit back and let it happen to the children! "And,they knew it was going on". What? That just goes to show that busting drug dealers was more important than saving those little children lifes. The cops knew the kids were living with drug dealers so therefore, the police are guilty of Child Endangerment. Question,the children went to school because they both where old enough to go if they were being mistreated in any kind of way why would their teacher, school, other parents, friends etc. Not call DCS or report this? I would like to know what everyone opinion is on this. Who Agreeor dis agree with me.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#25 Oct 4, 2012
Thank you Small World for your honesty. If we all agreed on everything all the time it would be a boring world. I respect anyone's honest opinion, especially when they can back it up with some knowledge of the subject and facts.

As I said, I am in no way defending anyone that was arrested. However, our Sheriff's Department is going to have to be held accountable for their work and actions. Our county cannot afford a law suit and at some point people are going to get smart enough to find a lawyer from outside of Grainger County.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#26 Oct 4, 2012
wow wrote:
Wait for the federal indictment to come and see how foolish you are oak tree.i swear you do know more than the goverment!!!
I won't be holding my breath while I wait.
dog lol

Powell, TN

#27 Oct 5, 2012
I think scott is steping on a lot of your buddys toes

GOOD JOB SCOTT
U KNOW IT

United States

#28 Oct 5, 2012
dog lol wrote:
I think scott is steping on a lot of your buddys toes
GOOD JOB SCOTT
Yeah, only with the help of his snitches!
I do KNOW when they play that tape to MULLINS in court and he finds out who ratted his ass out, IT WILL BE WAR that is why it took this long!
MOst ppl he mess with didn't have the balls to do what those other 2 boys did! YEAH, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!i!
Just saying

United States

#29 Oct 7, 2012
Old Oak Tree wrote:
The news reported tonight that these two were not arrested and that half of the things stated about them were false. I don't know them, do not know if they are guilty or innocent, but seems to me that the Sheriff has been crowing a little too much. The younger of the two was on the news tonight saying that they were not arrested, there was like $500.00 found in the house, not $8,000.00 and the children taken, were not in danger. He may be telling lies himself, but why would he get on the news to state this, when it is a simple matter of looking at the arrest report.
What this tells me is the Sheriff's Department is reporting things to the news that are not true. Why would they do this? I think to make themselves look good, but that is just my opinion. If these 2 were dealing drugs, I hope they get everything that is coming to them. However, if the Sheriff is making false news reports, I hope he gets what is coming to him also. There are too many drug dealers out there to be lieing about a few. Bust them all and really make yourself look good. Guess that is too much like work.
I was just curious to see if this was true, or not true. I went and got the report on this guy. I read that this man was not arrested, he only had 705.00 cash,(the report states) the money come out of his disability check he just had gotten cashed 3 days before, and that all the medicine was in his perscribe bottles besides what he had taken. So, this man was not lying. This all happened on Sept. 27,2012 not on Oct.1st so even if this man was a BIG TIME drug dealer he has enough proof to sue the crap out of them. So, it's a sad thing that Scott, had to do this because this man, his family, and the other two men (mention) will not only get a laugh out what lies he told but also getting to contunie to slang the drugs, snort/shoot up their drugs they also, are going to be able too RULE Grainger County Sheriff Department! So, he really has screwed everything up this time. I heard a rumor that all 3 men had already got a lawyer out of Sevier County, if this is true Scott, doesn't stand a chance. If Scott, didn't do anything wrong he would answer the phone for the news people and go back on the News but he fails to do so, I believehe is ashamed of what he did, he didn't think it would come to this.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#30 Oct 7, 2012
Thank you, Just saying. That is the way I saw things. Even if they have a snitch and have him recorded as selling drugs, he won't serve a day in jail becuse of the slander suit he will hold over the county. If he is dealing drugs, he now has a get out of jail free card, compliments of The Grainger County Sheriff's Department. So you all can yell, good job Scott all you want. This was unexceptable police work and they should know better.
sambrown

Morristown, TN

#31 Oct 8, 2012
oak tree why dont just shut up and go back to teaching school o never mind i forgot u cant do that

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#32 Oct 8, 2012
sambrown wrote:
oak tree why dont just shut up and go back to teaching school o never mind i forgot u cant do that
I see you have yet another name. Oak Tree has never taught school. Oak Tree would not teach school even if they paid me triple the going rate. Oak Tree believes that if you spare the rod, you spoil the child.

Now Sam Brown, you have nothing to add to the discussion except for me to shut up? Gee, how intellegent and origional of you. You can't support the topic or disprove it. Does your momma still dress you? Oak Tree doesn't shut up, Oak Tree says what is on Oak Tree's mind. If ya don't like it, don't read it.
wow

Morristown, TN

#33 Oct 9, 2012
Lets all just take a moment of our time to lift our sheriff up in prayer,his job is a dangerous one and he needs the help and support of everyone.God bless our officers,the sheriff our EMT's and everyone that works to keep us safe.God Bless you Scott and keep you safe from danger and vengent tounges
Queen

United States

#34 Oct 9, 2012
"Vengent tongues"? Oak Tree and others who have spoken up abot how Casper is doing his job are not being vengeful. They are alerting the public that Grainger County might be held accountable for this control freak's activities while he is in office.
When a public official is sud for misconduct, they do not pay any award out of their pocket. Taxpayers (those who pay teir salery) pay the award. That means that we are ultimately responsible for any wrong done to private citizens by an office holder workig for the County.
When Casper and his minions selectively prosecute and wrongfully arrest or harrass any citizen, if they sue and are awarded a settlement, we (the taxpayers) pay that settlement.
About the only recourse we have to limit such damage is to speak out against such actions, and to vote dangerous people out of office in the next election.
Oak Tree and I, The Queen, are speaking up for the rights of many citizens when we alert the public (or thse reading Topix) to any potential liability they might face because of irresponsible actions taken by office holders.
Furball,on the other and, can only harrass, call names, and make threats against anyone they don't like (for whatever reason).
For instance, Furball, the self-proclaimed intelect of Topix, called me a 'queer'.
I should think that any self-respecting homosexual would be insulted by such a proclaimation.
I am not what some people refer to as a 'queer'.
I am a hetrosexual, married female, and have the papers to prove it.
Fruball, by comarrison, hides her dubious identity behind a computer screen, hurls baseless invectives, and defends the costly and hazardous activities of public officials and other posters on Topix that she likes when she doesn't even know some of these people.
She has admitted that she has only seen me from a distance, nd doesn't even know who Oak Tree is, yet she hurls insults and writes tempermental diatribes against us.
She has claied that Oak Tree and I are on welfare.
Oak Tree's financial affairs are his own, but I can publicly state that I have never recieved one penny from our government or any office operated by the government.
Furball also states that I and Oak Tree sit at our computers and write all day todefame and harass other people.
That is not true.
Oak Tree and Iboth work at physically demanding jobs (mine is at home) and are on our computers for a limited time each day. Perhap the import and scope of what w writ has Furball confused, bt I rather suspect tat Furball is just venting frustraion and rage against two people that she dislikes.
She is free to do so, but we are free to counter, which I have just done.
I wonder,now,just how long it will take the 'fuzzfaced one' to come out of her corner swinging.
wow

Morristown, TN

#35 Oct 9, 2012
It was stated on here that your Hero Harville would not serve a paid for warrant because his office already had so many law suits against them.You shout his praises yet you know he wasnt doing his job.All these so called drug lords in the county were raging in their business during his reign and I find it refreshing that Scott is at least puttting forth an effort.So i would assume that with the outstanding law suits from Harvilles tour of duty are coming around.I might add that I pay way too many taxes in this economy.If the housing value has gone down as we are told why in the world did my taxes go from 900 dollars to 1300?I'm sure you will tell me Scott is behind it!!
Just saying

Portland, OR

#36 Oct 9, 2012
wow wrote:
It was stated on here that your Hero Harville would not serve a paid for warrant because his office already had so many law suits against them.You shout his praises yet you know he wasnt doing his job.All these so called drug lords in the county were raging in their business during his reign and I find it refreshing that Scott is at least puttting forth an effort.So i would assume that with the outstanding law suits from Harvilles tour of duty are coming around.I might add that I pay way too many taxes in this economy.If the housing value has gone down as we are told why in the world did my taxes go from 900 dollars to 1300?I'm sure you will tell me Scott is behind it!!
Thery are a difference in doing his Job, and ding it right! If, Scott would do his job right they wouldn't be a problem.
wow

Morristown, TN

#37 Oct 9, 2012
how many lawsuits has Scott lost?Would you rather these people sell their drugs than Scott trying to take them off the streets?You scream he is on tv to much yet you call him casper therefore you are a narrow minded empty headed maybe sore losing democrats!Yes thats what I said and how I see it yes mam or sir not only is your chair empty but seemingly your head.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#38 Oct 9, 2012
wow wrote:
how many lawsuits has Scott lost?Would you rather these people sell their drugs than Scott trying to take them off the streets?You scream he is on tv to much yet you call him casper therefore you are a narrow minded empty headed maybe sore losing democrats!Yes thats what I said and how I see it yes mam or sir not only is your chair empty but seemingly your head.
First of all, I am NOT a democrat. Secondly, Layel was called Casper long before he started making his weekly tv appearences. I now call him Rooster, because of his need to crow. He was called Casper because no one inside the county could ever get ahold of him. We should have looked in Knoxville, he was probably at the news station. I happen to be about the most open minded person, you will ever meet. I pride myself on not being a hypocrit. I have posted, here on Topix, when I think the Sheriff or an officer has done a good job. That has not been often though, simply because it doesn't happen often. But hey, even a blind hog finds a nut on occasion. Layel is now on the news every other night. I have lived in Grainger County most of my life. There is not that much news to cover. He thinks every time he farts someone must want to know about it. Now after this so called arrest, if he can't actually make some news, he INVENTS some news. It is proven by the police report that these people were NOT arrested,$8,000.00 was NOT siezed, and the drugs found were his own prescriptions. How is that good police work? I am guilty of not being a Layle fan. I am not guilty of any falsehoods. I have provided the links to the news reports, read them. This is my opinion... If you choose to vote and support someone that is lazy, a blowhard, incompitent and cares nothing about the taxpaying citizens then you go right ahead. I like to think myself a little smarter than that and will vote and support someone that can actually do the job.

These people will most likely sue the county, they have all the proof they need, thanks to your sheriff. Then they will be untouchable by the law. Everytime the law looks at them they will be yelling harassment. They will continue to sell pills, if that is what they were doing, and they will get away with it. Thank you Scott! That was sarcasm, in case you couldn't figure it out. By the way, lawsuits are not often filed here. Most people have nothing to complain about sice they are not caught at their illegal activites and if they are, they are promptly set loose on probation. However, this man was on the news yelling slander, with proof in his hand.
courious

United States

#39 Oct 9, 2012
wow wrote:
It was stated on here that your Hero Harville would not serve a paid for warrant because his office already had so many law suits against them.You shout his praises yet you know he wasnt doing his job.All these so called drug lords in the county were raging in their business during his reign and I find it refreshing that Scott is at least puttting forth an effort.So i would assume that with the outstanding law suits from Harvilles tour of duty are coming around.I might add that I pay way too many taxes in this economy.If the housing value has gone down as we are told why in the world did my taxes go from 900 dollars to 1300?I'm sure you will tell me Scott is behind it!!
Harville has not one law suit pending against him or the county so get your facts straight!!!! Oh weight your a Layle fan so it's hard to speak of the true facts just like it is for your sheriff lmao!!!!!
Just saying

Beaverton, OR

#40 Oct 10, 2012
courious wrote:
<quoted text>
Harville has not one law suit pending against him or the county so get your facts straight!!!! Oh weight your a Layle fan so it's hard to speak of the true facts just like it is for your sheriff lmao!!!!!
No but, Layel, has 6 pending on him and all of them are going to take him down! I bet it will be blamed on the fact he hadn't had any sleep for 3 days!
wow

Morristown, TN

#41 Oct 10, 2012
Harville was the liar then when he made that statement in front of rhonda and joe wayne.why would he lie about lawsuits?his whole tour of duty was a lie then

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 22 min Bruin For Life 32,618
News Bizarre finish has Raptors crying foul after lo... 26 min Bewitched 7
News Raiders legends revel in return to relevance 1 hr RAIDER MISTERIO OG 137
PPV for UFC 206 13 hr Scotstyle 1
News Luther Strange to run for Jeff Sessions' Senate... Thu Knock off purse s... 4
News Danica Patrick is 'so sad' and sick of mediocri... Wed Ghost War Hero 2
News Mariners betting a roster spot that D.J. Peters... Dec 7 johnnyj 1
More from around the web