Officer-Involved Shooting Raises Questions About Police Training

There are 20 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 7, 2013, titled Officer-Involved Shooting Raises Questions About Police Training. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Saturday's officer-involved shooting has raised questions about how police decide to use deadly force.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Pay Up is Clueless

Newport News, VA

#22 Jun 10, 2013
George S wrote:
<quoted text>
And the cop who killed him had no knowledge of any of this prior to killing him.
He could have been armed with a wooden leaf rake, a spatula, his wallet, or a bologna sandwich--each of which have been deemed 'deadly weapons' and 'posing a deadly threat' to officers in recent years.
When it appears that a cop may have acted improperly, the news industry runs off to interview anyone who will say he acted properly.
How do you know what the cop knew?
Thinking free

Richmond, VA

#23 Jun 10, 2013
Pay Up is Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know what the cop knew?
Sure, we all do, he's a cop so he knew nothing.
JRP

Doswell, VA

#24 Jun 10, 2013
While I think that any use of deadly force should trigger an investigation, I do not necessarily think that it should automatically call training techniques into question. Police officers and deputies carry guns because of the people and situations into which they are called to intervene. In this case, the decedent had a record of being drunk and fighting with police so it is not unreasonable to assume that his history repeated on Saturday morning. It is just as reasonable to assume that the officers training and actions saved lives...
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Jun 10, 2013
There are some odd issues with this that I would like to see hashed out regarding this case. I support the fuzz (have some in my family) and realize Rosson was a scrote. However, certain things--of course--have not been dealt with by the media. Such as...
1. Rosson was supposedly hiding and confronted the babe when she arrived home from work around 0215 hours. Who called the police if the parents only woke to the sound of the cop's gunfire?

2. This is a less-patrolled area of Albie County. If Rosson was beating the woman, and it took, say, 4 minutes for the cop to arrive from the phone call, it seems like Rosson had free reign to beat her for at least five minutes before the PD arrived. Why was she not injured? In five minutes, I could do a lot of damage to a woman.

3. When did the second police car arrive on scene? How far was the officer from Rosson when Rossing starting running towards the cop?

As for the reporterette and NBC 29...Who is questioning the training here? Only you. While I agree that questions need to be addressed regarding the history of ACPD, all the media I have seen in my fifteen years here have asked all the wrong questions.

For a county of around 100,000 people, there are a lot of shootings. There is a township near Philly called Upper Darby with around the same population, a deteriorating populace, right on the border of one of Philly's worst areas, urban blight, lots of crime...and I have not seen nearly as many shootings by cops there as in Albie.

Makes ya wonder.

R.I.P.: Bill Veeck
Stan

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Jun 10, 2013
Thinking free wrote:
18 weeks to train an idiot when and when not to pull a gun. That makes a lot of sense. The training is important, whats more important is screening out possible sociopaths who want to wear a badge. Local pd's do no such screening, no pysch testing, no profiling, nothing, just sign on the dotted line and we'll give you a gun and badge in 18 weeks to hold dominion over the lives of people who for the most part don't trust you, as well they shouldn't. Why are we having problems with cops shooting citizens? Real life ain't no videogame.
Thinking Free, you might want to change your name to, maybe...not thinking at all, or can't think for myself. Your comment is a stream of garbage that makes no sense. Did you not read the article? The 18 weeks are broken up into various categories.

"Local PD's do no such screening." (in reference to a psych test)- Then why do they do a psych evaluation during the hiring process???

"No profiling, nothing." Profiling? What are you trying to say? You watch too much cop drama. Are you referring to a background check? Then that is also listed as part of their hiring process.

Your comment is a prime example of a non-educated rumor.
JRP

Doswell, VA

#28 Jun 10, 2013
I spent my first 18 years growing up in Upper Darby. Makes me glad I left and never looked back...
Liberalace wrote:
There are some odd issues with this that I would like to see hashed out regarding this case. I support the fuzz (have some in my family) and realize Rosson was a scrote. However, certain things--of course--have not been dealt with by the media. Such as...
1. Rosson was supposedly hiding and confronted the babe when she arrived home from work around 0215 hours. Who called the police if the parents only woke to the sound of the cop's gunfire?
2. This is a less-patrolled area of Albie County. If Rosson was beating the woman, and it took, say, 4 minutes for the cop to arrive from the phone call, it seems like Rosson had free reign to beat her for at least five minutes before the PD arrived. Why was she not injured? In five minutes, I could do a lot of damage to a woman.
3. When did the second police car arrive on scene? How far was the officer from Rosson when Rossing starting running towards the cop?
As for the reporterette and NBC 29...Who is questioning the training here? Only you. While I agree that questions need to be addressed regarding the history of ACPD, all the media I have seen in my fifteen years here have asked all the wrong questions.
For a county of around 100,000 people, there are a lot of shootings. There is a township near Philly called Upper Darby with around the same population, a deteriorating populace, right on the border of one of Philly's worst areas, urban blight, lots of crime...and I have not seen nearly as many shootings by cops there as in Albie.
Makes ya wonder.
R.I.P.: Bill Veeck
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#29 Jun 12, 2013
George S wrote:
<quoted text>
And the cop who killed him had no knowledge of any of this prior to killing him.
He could have been armed with a wooden leaf rake, a spatula, his wallet, or a bologna sandwich--each of which have been deemed 'deadly weapons' and 'posing a deadly threat' to officers in recent years.
When it appears that a cop may have acted improperly, the news industry runs off to interview anyone who will say he acted properly.
AMEN

It should be the last resort of any human with a concious to do anything to keep from killing somebody unless your life or family is in grave danger. Had this been a cop shot the news would fly , picture front page and the story told fast . Central Va area up to VSP have become oddly slow to release details .

There is a reason for that .

The local news here has become unbelievable in the biased reporting and personal shield to the local trigger happy PD's .

the deal

High Point, NC

#30 Jun 12, 2013
@Concerned...People keep asking why the officer in question didn't just shoot him in the leg...

A,its 2am, meaning its DARK and B, someone is charging you. Again, its DARK and his leg is probably equal to a foot wide or less, and he's moving and if you miss, it might mean YOUR life, and then possibly the life of the victim as now you wouldn't be able to help her at all...You get 1 shot in this case...what do YOU aim for??
Thinking free

Richmond, VA

#31 Jun 12, 2013
Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking Free, you might want to change your name to, maybe...not thinking at all, or can't think for myself. Your comment is a stream of garbage that makes no sense. Did you not read the article? The 18 weeks are broken up into various categories.
"Local PD's do no such screening." (in reference to a psych test)- Then why do they do a psych evaluation during the hiring process???
"No profiling, nothing." Profiling? What are you trying to say? You watch too much cop drama. Are you referring to a background check? Then that is also listed as part of their hiring process.
Your comment is a prime example of a non-educated rumor.
So all the cop shootings around the country are untrue? How nice. If local PD's screened applicants a fraction of what the Va state police do this stuff would't happen near as much. Now, like McDonalds, they screen for a pulse, thats about it. You want to make excuses fine, be a fool.
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Jun 12, 2013
Thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>So all the cop shootings around the country are untrue? How nice. If local PD's screened applicants a fraction of what the Va state police do this stuff would't happen near as much. Now, like McDonalds, they screen for a pulse, thats about it. You want to make excuses fine, be a fool.
Stan hit a nerve, did he?
Thinking free

Richmond, VA

#33 Jun 12, 2013
real central va Marine wrote:
<quoted text>Stan hit a nerve, did he?
Na, that would presume I care. I just make observations and relate the conclusions. Some just don't like to hear the obvious. All cops are honorable? please. Maybe few, maybe a dam few, the bad part, the resentment cops feel towards the average Joe stems from holding the blue line, their own fault.
Guardian

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Jun 13, 2013
The only citizens the A.C.P.D. protects with deadly force is themselves. If you pulled out your legally concealed handgun and shot an unarmed person running toward you, and you killed them, you would be going to prison, period. Why should their standard of conduct be any less than any concealed carry permit holder? Did he think he was being attacked by a Zombie? The shooting of unarmed citizens in this country is completely out of hand, and there is no justice, even when these trigger happy, overzealous, scared of their own shadow cops take a life for no valid reason. The convicted killer cop in Culpeper got a year in a local jail, no prison time for shooting an unarmed women driving away from him, in the back multiple times. These types of killings have to stop. Maybe the only thing they will understand is enough successful lawsuits brought against this department to finally make the point, undeniable.
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#35 Jun 14, 2013
Guardian wrote:
The only citizens the A.C.P.D. protects with deadly force is themselves. If you pulled out your legally concealed handgun and shot an unarmed person running toward you, and you killed them, you would be going to prison, period. Why should their standard of conduct be any less than any concealed carry permit holder? Did he think he was being attacked by a Zombie? The shooting of unarmed citizens in this country is completely out of hand, and there is no justice, even when these trigger happy, overzealous, scared of their own shadow cops take a life for no valid reason. The convicted killer cop in Culpeper got a year in a local jail, no prison time for shooting an unarmed women driving away from him, in the back multiple times. These types of killings have to stop. Maybe the only thing they will understand is enough successful lawsuits brought against this department to finally make the point, undeniable.
EXACTLY !

Even if this guy hit the girlfriend with an AX handle , deadly force is not needed for simple assault.

The dead guy is not here to defend himself .... the entire PD is in full swing defending themselves.

The cop should have been wearing a mic....... and the cruiser running video . When will NBCensoship29 file a FOIA on this information ?
Thinking free

Richmond, VA

#36 Jun 17, 2013
Guardian wrote:
Right on brotha. Say it.
say what

United States

#37 Jun 17, 2013
RandomThoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY !
Even if this guy hit the girlfriend with an AX handle , deadly force is not needed for simple assault.
The dead guy is not here to defend himself .... the entire PD is in full swing defending themselves.
The cop should have been wearing a mic....... and the cruiser running video . When will NBCensoship29 file a FOIA on this information ?
an axe handle .. simple assault. REAAAALLLY?!. I dont think so...assault with a deadly weapon more like it...
the officer did her a favor,or some other girl...
I dont care what the person portrays on the outside, its what happens behind closed doors that you dont see... and his actions from previous encounters with the law, and assault.. it was just a matter of time b4 something happened..I am sorry for the family and friends of the guy who was shot, they may not have known of his temper, drug/alcohol or even mental issues.. Glad she is still here to tell the story of abuse and maybe she can turn a tragedy into a positive for others experiencing abuse and can help them remove themselves b4 its too late... I speak from experiencing the same with a family member who was beaten to death by her boyfriend, and he used his bare hands. they are weapons, had she opened her mouth to the abuse she endured, she would still be with us today.
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#40 Jun 17, 2013
say what wrote:
<quoted text>
an axe handle .. simple assault. REAAAALLLY?!. I dont think so...assault with a deadly weapon more like it...
the officer did her a favor,or some other girl...
I dont care what the person portrays on the outside, its what happens behind closed doors that you dont see... and his actions from previous encounters with the law, and assault.. it was just a matter of time b4 something happened..I am sorry for the family and friends of the guy who was shot, they may not have known of his temper, drug/alcohol or even mental issues.. Glad she is still here to tell the story of abuse and maybe she can turn a tragedy into a positive for others experiencing abuse and can help them remove themselves b4 its too late... I speak from experiencing the same with a family member who was beaten to death by her boyfriend, and he used his bare hands. they are weapons, had she opened her mouth to the abuse she endured, she would still be with us today.
WRONG

simple assault

Call your district attorney .
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Jun 17, 2013
Who Knows wrote:
<quoted text>Is that the few marbles you have left that I hear rattling around in your empty head?
This happened at 2:15 a.m.(middle of the night) when the woman was getting off work. The violent guy, soon to be shot dead, was hiding in the dark beside her parents trailer home. He grabbed her and began assaulting her. At what point did she politely ask for him to stop long enough for her to call the cops, especially an old boyfriend cop, and he, being a very considerate fellow, stopped while she made the call???
You do know that you can be charged with libel, don't you????
And what Constitution do you live under? Right or wrong I have an opinion that can not be infringed upon, even by ignoramuses like you. No names, no fowl, dummy.
Who Knows

Lyndhurst, VA

#42 Jun 18, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>And what Constitution do you live under? Right or wrong I have an opinion that can not be infringed upon, even by ignoramuses like you. No names, no fowl, dummy.
Your whole intent was to bring hatred and contempt to a specific police officer and police officers in general by written false accusations presented as facts. What was written was not an opinion. Libel is not protected under the constitution. Lying is not protected by the constitution. Most important, you are not the only person who has rights which can be infringed. The police officer also has rights, upon which you infringed.

libel

1) n. to publish in print, writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander, which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie. Publication need only be to one person, but it must be a statement which claims to be fact and is not clearly identified as an opinion.
Who Knows

Lyndhurst, VA

#43 Jun 18, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>And what Constitution do you live under? Right or wrong I have an opinion that can not be infringed upon, even by ignoramuses like you. No names, no fowl, dummy.
Besides, if you notice, the forum moderators agree because the original post was removed--because it was libelous.

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#44 Jun 18, 2013
RandomThoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG
simple assault
Call your district attorney .
And WRONG, you should keep in mind that chances are there are a few people here that know the law a tad better than yourself.
Virgina classifies assault in a couple different ways. The only one that applied in this case is assault and battery(vs malicious/unlawful wounding.
Assault is the intent to harm or offend through contact. The person can be charged with assault regardless of whether they actually contact the person or not.
Normally an assault would just be a simple class 1 Misdemeanor, but being as it's on a peace officer that ramps it up right away to a class 6 felony and the minimum sentence is 6 months in jail but can go up to 5 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota Vikings First Wave of Undrafted Free ... 1 hr viking nation 3
News In wake of flu epidemic a century ago, Alaska's... 3 hr Local Postal Cust... 1
News Yanks won't pay A-Rod $6M bonus for 660th homer 4 hr tom wingo 2
News Could there be a rematch of Mayweather-Pacquiao... 4 hr tom wingo 6
News Danica Patrick losing GoDaddy as primary car sp... 4 hr tom wingo 15
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr tom wingo 29,716
News Jill Duggar Dillard Criticized over Use of Slin... 7 hr tom wingo 10
More from around the web