NBA Referee Tim Donaghy - Strong Evidence of Game-Fixing

Posted in the Sports Forum

“Get ready at Pregame.com”

Since: May 08

Las Vegas, Nevada

#1 May 18, 2008
My reporting on this matter

http://pregame.com/forums/blogs/rj-bell/archi...

has been picked up across the national media, just today at DeadSpin:

http://deadspin.com/5009563/tim-donaghy-staye...

But a key issue is being missed:

Now consider what must be believed in order to conclude that Tim Donaghy did not fix the games that he both officiated and bet on: first, that a person troubled enough to provide inside information to criminals was able to referee games in which he had a financial interest in the outcome without any bias. We also must believe that information alone allowed big bettors to beat Las Vegas 15 straight times. And finally we must believe that Donaghy becoming a much more active referee his final two years is a mere coincidence rather than evidence of an effort to increase his influence on games.

What do you guys think?

Las Vegas, Nevada

#2 May 18, 2008
Tim Donaghy officiating style statistically changed during the 2005/06 and 06/07 seasons. During the two years prior (i.e., 03/04 and 04/05) he called significantly less fouls than the average NBA referee (his games scored more than Las Vegas expected only 44% of the time). During his last two seasons he called significantly more fouls than average (his games scored more than Las Vegas expected 57% of the time). The odds of this change happening randomly are approximately 19 to 1.

Las Vegas, Nevada

#3 May 20, 2008
Now even more info on a widespread scandal!
Justin

Folsom, CA

#4 Jun 12, 2008

As a fan, frustrated yet seeking real justice, I would like to propose a three-step solution in this regard.

Step one.

Take the game six video-tape and have the three refs of the game sit down at a table, in an open (C-Span style) press conference. Each referee will have a monitor in front of them replaying the game- while on the sides of the room large monitors will play the same video for the press.

Step two. Everyone watches while the refs give their shpeel, defending every call or non-call throughout the game.*Important - The press can not interfere or ask questions until after the game.

Step three - Open it up to press discussion - while a moderator controls the video to aid review of any area in question.

In other words, if David Stern wants to stand by the outrageous officiating of game 6 in 2002, then let him stand by it, and send his boys in there to do the same. I do not agree with Marcos Brenton's (SACBEE 6/12/08) assertion that complaining should be immediately recognized as "whining," and I do not fear the labels of conspiracy theorist or whiner. Because it is not the whiner who is propelled to positive action, and who demands justice. It is precisely the whiner who does nothing, demands nothing and is as easily forgotten as he/she is dismissed. NBA fans who truly love this game, should therefore demand justice and restitution in this regard. As fans, while our very love and loyalty wavers, should we expect no less? The NBA should be thankful to have such fans!
And finally, to make my point. Let us look to last year's Superbowl in the NFL. Nationwide sports fans witnessed the triumph of an underdog, and more importantly saw fruition in a team who knew how to dream and believe. When this championship occurred, while many in Boston were dismayed, many more nationwide were enlivened and engaged. It was (to coin an oxymoron) a very real, magical event. This is what is at stake, to know that a similar dream in Sacramento, was tarnished by the greed and self-motivated interests of a higher authority is simply not acceptable, unsportsmen-like and un-American and unfair. We as sports fans, as dreamers and believers, should demand no less. Let's get it done.

Sincerely,

Justin P. Nash

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 min Chosen Traveler 27,440
Was Adrian Peterson wrong to punish his child w... 16 min woodtick57 298
New England Patriots Links 9/22/14 - Pats D Bai... 18 min Laughing Bear Fan 1
Green Bay Packers head to Detroit to do battle ... 42 min Laughing Bear Fan 2
Lions upset Packers, Giants secure first win 43 min Laughing Bear Fan 1
Denver Broncos Fans Ask CBS to Ban Simms From G... 54 min Laughing Bear Fan 19
Enough is Enough 59 min Laughing Bear Fan 79
•••
•••

Sports People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••